Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

11 hours ago, Headstock said:

Good morning Tony,

Chaloners Whin Junction, a perfect location for a model railway. Trains to Doncaster going south via the ECML. Trains to Leeds, Manchester and Liverpool, to the south and west via Church Fenton and trains to Swindon, Bristol, Swansea and Bournemouth straight on south through Church Fenton. Come to think of it, the Church Fenton line would be a little cracker, I have made many a fast run with steam in that local over the years. Evening Star, Green Arrow and City of Wells stand out as particularly memorable runs south from York.

Good evening Andrew,

Has anyone ever built a model of Chaloners Whin Junction? 

It's one of those junctions where the 'main' line is the one which appears to veer off; long-gone now, of course. 

I wonder how many drivers on the A19 today south of Riccall know that they're travelling on the remains of a section of what was once the ECML?

Regards,

Tony.   

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Colton Junction, which I suppose is the modern replacement for Chaloners Whin, is still a great place to watch trains.  Two overbridges, over the Leeds and Doncaster Lines, separated by a little area with a parking spot.  Views of both lines in both directions and an elevated viewpoint.   I've spent several hours there over the years. It's also the only junction in the UK with 125 mph facing points as far as I know.  Moving frog as well.

Jamie

Not a moving frog, but a 'swing nose crossing'.

Andy G

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 26/03/2019 at 20:20, St Enodoc said:

But what about St James's Park?

If you visit that station, you will find that the apostrophe appears on some signs but not others.........

Know it well, I work over it one or two days per week.

Edited by Northmoor
Oops, someone else had already made the same point, in more detail!
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 28/03/2019 at 20:34, jamie92208 said:

I may have found the answer to the question of Midland Locos at York.   In Summerson Volume 3 (Midland Locomotive the Johnson Classes Part 1) on Page 181 it states :-

"47239 and 47254 were transferred to York in 1958, the first Midland engines allocated to that city since the 1930's. The improbable spectacle of a Midland station pilot was therefore to be relished rubbing shoulders with LNER Pacifics and the rest. Johnson would have liked it, or George Hudson."

These were members of the 2441 class and as far as I can tell would have been 1F's. Both were withdrawn in October 61.

Jamie

They were 3Fs and, as such, precursors to the much larger class of LMS 3F 0-6-0Ts.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

May I pose a question to the massed brains that follow this thread please?

I am attempting to build an LBSCR 54' coach from a Branchlines kit, and when it comes to the foot-boards, the instructions say that they should be detached from the etch that forms the floor / solebars / headstocks.

Later it says that these should be re-attached, once short vertical strips representing the foot-board brackets have been soldered to the solebar sides of the floor pan; the foot-boards to be at 1mm above the bottom of the solebars and across the 'brackets.

I am finding that the brass strips that represent the foot-boards are pretty flimsy and curl, twist and distort of their own free will, so the idea that I could fix them along the sides of the solebars and get them straight and level seems hard to imagine.

Is their a clever way of doing this that is beyond my current experience? I would add that this is the first all brass coach kit that I have ever attempted!

All help & suggestions appreciated.

Tony

9 hours ago, Leander said:

They were 3Fs and, as such, precursors to the much larger class of LMS 3F 0-6-0Ts.

Excuse me, but this is a Precursor (any excuse for a picture of something from the Premier Line!).

774699937_Precursor34FPtoned.jpg.a777a3168ba3a6fb3207e949173f84f6.jpg

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, Tony Teague said:

I am attempting to build an LBSCR 54' coach from a Branchlines kit, and when it comes to the foot-boards, the instructions say that they should be detached from the etch that forms the floor / solebars / headstocks.

Later it says that these should be re-attached, once short vertical strips representing the foot-board brackets have been soldered to the solebar sides of the floor pan; the foot-boards to be at 1mm above the bottom of the solebars and across the 'brackets.

I am finding that the brass strips that represent the foot-boards are pretty flimsy and curl, twist and distort of their own free will, so the idea that I could fix them along the sides of the solebars and get them straight and level seems hard to imagine.

Is their a clever way of doing this that is beyond my current experience? I would add that this is the first all brass coach kit that I have ever attempted!

Tony

I've seen people use brass rod to support footsteps. As wide as diameter as you can get away with I guess - drill through into the solebar and solder from behind for strength.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My current project is what is likely to be the last of Dave Alexander's J27 lits. Building it and taking the proving pictures reminded me of a day out in 1966.

A couple of observations first on the build itself.

Other folk have made a real job of inside motion, and Arthur Kimber's' kits which I have built contain appropriate etches. Here, all I have done is try to fill the hole into which the eye is drawn without making any real effort at prototype fidelity. At least it looks as though there is something going on between the frames, and it's an easy job on an etched chassis, just using scrap etch.

The chassis runs nicely with the body fixed in place. Even in OO ,clearances in the splashers was very tight to avoid shorting on the insulated wheels. When I can, I always make one side live and the other dead, and I would have struggled if I had used insulated wheels on both sides. On earlier kits, Dave provided all the splashers as separate castings, but on this one they are now cast integrally with the footplate, hence my difficulty. How EM/P4 modellers would manage, I have no idea , but suspect they would need to cut away and re-fix or replace the splashers nearer the footplate edges.

The loco in its' current form looks suspiciously like one of the last I saw being dismantled at a small scrapyard in Choppington in 1966, when I acted as chauffer to Ian S Carr, the well-known photographer, who was a master at my school, Wallsend Grammar. I was 17, with a licence and occasional use of Dad's car. Ian, or should I say Mr Carr, didn't drive so how he got around the region taking all this photos must have been a challenge. He was a splendid man.

IMG_20190330_082246.jpg

IMG_20190330_084245.jpg

IMG_20190330_084305.jpg

• Like 11

2 hours ago, Tony Teague said:

Tony

Good morning Tony,

I rarely use footboards supplied in coach kits if they're half-etched or too flimsy.

They do, as you suggest, distort to their hearts' content. 

I use more-substantial brass strips of appropriate width, cut to length and then radius the corners. The trick is to cut them just a bit too long to begin with off the stock, then trim to suit (with tinsnips), the smaller cut-off taking all the distortion. 

I honestly cannot tell the exact size of the brass (I buy it from Hobby Holidays or Eileen's Emporium); it just 'feels' the right thickness. Once soldered in place, it's 'everlasting'. 

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Tony.  

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Good evening Andrew,

Has anyone ever built a model of Chaloners Whin Junction? 

It's one of those junctions where the 'main' line is the one which appears to veer off; long-gone now, of course. 

I wonder how many drivers on the A19 today south of Riccall know that they're travelling on the remains of a section of what was once the ECML?

Regards,

Tony.   

Afternoon Tony,

the Church Fenton route was the original mainline, the NER line, that would conect to the GN, joined in latter. For those unfamiliar with the area the photo link below shows the layout. The ECML is seen to be veering off in the background, while a Leeds York services crosses the junction. If produced as a model, I'm sure the scenic's people would be rather grumpy, dose a fog bank constitute a good scenic break? At least it doesn't have a station, the track layout is rather nice and the trains would be wonderful, I would be tempted to go post war.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_06_2018/post-5613-0-70406400-1528985680.jpg

Edit.

I was wondering whether the York Jinty allocation had anything to do with the absorption of a number of former LMS sheds into the NE region in the late fifties?

Edited by Headstock

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Headstock said:

Afternoon Tony,

the Church Fenton route was the original mainline, the NER line, that would conect to the GN, joined in latter. For those unfamiliar with the area the photo link below shows the layout. The ECML is seen to be veering off in the background, while a Leeds York services crosses the junction. If produced as a model, I'm sure the scenic's people would be rather grumpy, dose a fog bank constitute a good scenic break? At least it doesn't have a station, the track layout is rather nice and the trains would be wonderful, I would be tempted to go post war.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_06_2018/post-5613-0-70406400-1528985680.jpg 388.21 kB · 0 downloads

Isn't there a road overbridge not very far down the later NER route that's now used by traffic coming off the A64.   That could be moved nearer to the junction and used perhaps.

Jamie

2 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Isn't there a road overbridge not very far down the later NER route that's now used by traffic coming off the A64.   That could be moved nearer to the junction and used perhaps.

Jamie

A possibility. However, a fog bank would be much more of a challenge. Perhaps cotton wool on lollipop sticks?

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Headstock said:

A possibility. However, a fog bank would be much more of a challenge. Perhaps cotton wool on lollipop sticks?

If there was some way of portraying the minds of some punters at show there would be plenty of fog....

However there might be a lot more that we didn't want to see.

Jamie

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, Headstock said:

Andrew,

Ask the winners of the Great Model Railway Challenge. They used loads of cotton wool.

Regards,

Tony. 

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Bucoops said:

I've seen people use brass rod to support footsteps. As wide as diameter as you can get away with I guess - drill through into the solebar and solder from behind for strength.

3 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Good morning Tony,

I rarely use footboards supplied in coach kits if they're half-etched or too flimsy.

They do, as you suggest, distort to their hearts' content. 

I use more-substantial brass strips of appropriate width, cut to length and then radius the corners. The trick is to cut them just a bit too long to begin with off the stock, then trim to suit (with tinsnips), the smaller cut-off taking all the distortion. 

I honestly cannot tell the exact size of the brass (I buy it from Hobby Holidays or Eileen's Emporium); it just 'feels' the right thickness. Once soldered in place, it's 'everlasting'. 

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Tony.  

Bucoops, Tony

Many thanks - sounds like I need to buy some brass one way or another!

Tony

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Headstock said:

Afternoon Tony,

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_06_2018/post-5613-0-70406400-1528985680.jpg 388.21 kB · 0 downloads

Edit.

I was wondering whether the York Jinty allocation had anything to do with the absorption of a number of former LMS sheds into the NE region in the late fifties?

Hello Andrew

Being unfamiliar with the area I looked on Old Maps, I am a bit confused. You say there is no station, the 1966 map has a strange thing at the end of Station Road, It has platforms and things.  Or is there two Church Fenton's?

2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

A weekend not attending a show! Now, that's a novelty.

Anyway, I've put some of the time towards doing more of the LB point rodding................

921228445_morepointrodding10.jpg.8b2476ba7590be7036ab049d81e707a0.jpg

The MSE/Comet/Wizard cast and etched components are absolutely first rate, and far more realistic than the over-scale Wills plastic stuff, However, there's always a down-side. Nothing wrong with the materials, but the time factor. This little lot to the left has taken me over 10 hours to make (solder together), paint, install and weather. Just look at the length of the gap still to be filled, between that pair of vans and adjacent to the repeating signal in the distance. Still, well worth doing  (I now notice it's not there!)

1608527946_morepointrodding11.jpg.426f8f042e65118268ab3b68b7c7c97a.jpg

Moving a bit further south, and following the progress of BONGRACE on the Up 'Yorkshire Pullman', there's also a bit more rodding appeared to the right (only three and a half hours this morning).

Just to left of the Down slow is a short run of rodding already made. How much further to go, I wonder? All the way up to the barrow crossing, and down further south towards Marsh Bridge. 

A bit at a time, I think. 

Looking very good Tony just a few months to go I would estimate.

Regards

Peter

1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hello Andrew

Being unfamiliar with the area I looked on Old Maps, I am a bit confused. You say there is no station, the 1966 map has a strange thing at the end of Station Road, It has platforms and things.  Or is there two Church Fenton's?

Evening Clive,

not Church Fenton. Chaloners Whin Junction. If you follow the line north from Church Fenton on your old map, you will come to the point that it is intersected by the ECML, that is Chaloners Whin Junction. It no longer exist, having been replaced by the junction at Colton as part of the construction of the Selby diversion.

• Agree 1

Hi All, 

I am building a D and S models GCR break van. Does anyone know how to attach the pivoting w irons to the chassis please? 

Some photos attached. Apologies for the quality. 

Many thanks 

Nick

DSC_0589.JPG.b1711dca150d5b37e58e05bc493441c0.JPGDSC_0588.JPG.5e480feb671f278c8036ae507c9c494a.JPG

2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Andrew,

Ask the winners of the Great Model Railway Challenge. They used loads of cotton wool.

Regards,

Tony. 

Tony,

I have never seen the Great Model Railway challenge, I have little interest in it. I believe it has had some benefits to the hobby in terms of increasing attendance at exhibitions, so I wouldn't knock it. However, cotton wool is a material I have yet to use in my own modelling. I suppose that it would come in handy if I was placed too close to a DCC layout.

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

A weekend not attending a show! Now, that's a novelty.

Anyway, I've put some of the time towards doing more of the LB point rodding................

921228445_morepointrodding10.jpg.8b2476ba7590be7036ab049d81e707a0.jpg

The MSE/Comet/Wizard cast and etched components are absolutely first rate, and far more realistic than the over-scale Wills plastic stuff, However, there's always a down-side. Nothing wrong with the materials, but the time factor. This little lot to the left has taken me over 10 hours to make (solder together), paint, install and weather. Just look at the length of the gap still to be filled, between that pair of vans and adjacent to the repeating signal in the distance. Still, well worth doing  (I now notice it's not there!)

1608527946_morepointrodding11.jpg.426f8f042e65118268ab3b68b7c7c97a.jpg

Moving a bit further south, and following the progress of BONGRACE on the Up 'Yorkshire Pullman', there's also a bit more rodding appeared to the right (only three and a half hours this morning).

Just to left of the Down slow is a short run of rodding already made. How much further to go, I wonder? All the way up to the barrow crossing, and down further south towards Marsh Bridge. 

A bit at a time, I think. 

Presumably you are making the sections off board where you can Tony, especially for the straight sections? 

Love the site view in these photo's by the way. A real looking down from a high bridge scene.

Phil

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Headstock said:

Dry ice?

I saw a production of Swan Lake in the round at the Albert Hall a couple of years ago when the dry ice mist reached the dancers' chests.  A bit counter-productive for a ballet!

• Like 1
  • Funny 1