Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

1 hour ago, cctransuk said:

No - the rest of the loco should match the centre splasher !!

What is it with Hornby? Is their livery paint specifier colour blind?

If they can specify the correct colour for a tiny part of the model, why not do so for the rest?

It beggars belief !!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Looking at that photo, I have a suspicion that the painted centre splasher is actually part of the name plate so it is painted separately. As nice as the loco itself may be, the very plastic looking finish and lack of depth in the green ruins it for me. 

The footplate also appears to be a bit of a poor fit and dips towards the cab.

Regards,

Craig W

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, CF MRC said:

Bit of a storm developing over Kings Cross...2B13700C-E6C5-4970-ADBB-D62AEB153CA7.jpeg.f5c7eaa39f54ad211b6e600640c73907.jpeg

Tim

An' by clingin' to the chimbley you could see across to Wembley if it wasn't fer the 'ouses in between.

• Like 2
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

5 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

An' by clingin' to the chimbley you could see across to Wembley if it wasn't fer the 'ouses in between.

The verse my grandmother would sing was the one with the line. With a ladder and some glasses you could see to 'ackney marshes , if it wasn't for the 'ouses in between. Much more appropriate when you lived in Walthamstow and your old man worked in Bromley. (The proper Bromley not the place sarth of the river).

Another example of the original use of gay occurs in the song as well.

Bernard

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

10 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Good evening Andrew,

Coloured plastic? What, the LN? I suppose so, but I'll check.

Regarding the '6', it's the 'plate supplied by Jackson Evans when I built the loco (the first independent build of the kit in ???????). It should be correct Gill Sans, which I think it is. If not, I'll replace it with one from Ian Wilson. 

Morning Tony,

it's such a poor rendition of BR green that I thought it may be green plastic. I think that the model has been painted (at least Lord Nelson), but not very well. With regard to 60513, have a look at the six, it's a bit of an oddity. I assume the real locomotive didn't have a straight six quite as straight as that one on the plate, or did it?

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Phil,

As usual with Hornby's (and Bachmann's) outside valve gear locos, the angle of the return crank is wrong on one side. On the Hornby LN it leans the wrong way on the nearside.

634442100_HornbyNelson02.jpg.adc281072692601b6ef5426400bf92d2.jpg

It should lean forward on this side. Oddly enough, the illustration on the box sleeve has it correct.

Should the green on the centre splasher be a different shade to the rest?

Regards,

Tony. 

I never noticed that green Tony. I shall go and have a look this evening! Not so much a problem for my example as it will be fairly dirty as they were in the last couple of years; all gathered at Eastleigh by the way;  by Mr Townrow (spelling) so that crews that knew how to fire them would get the best out of them. Often used on heavy and fast, fitted, long distance banana vans from Southampton, Exeter Central being one destination. 

Thanks for checking the crank angle @ BDC.

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, cctransuk said:

If they can specify the correct colour for a tiny part of the model, why not do so for the rest?

It beggars belief !!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Nowt that a slosh of Klear won't solve John, however I do agree that the colour on many loco's that arrive from across the mighty oceans is really very weird.

Phil

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 05/04/2019 at 20:45, MikeTrice said:

There is really no answer to that ;-)

My favourite restaurant might be a partial answer. Ghanaian, apparently, up Stamford Hill.  A sad day when it turned into a Tesco Metro

Tone

Golden Stool 02.JPG

• Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

28 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Nowt that a slosh of Klear won't solve John, however I do agree that the colour on many loco's that arrive from across the mighty oceans is really very weird.

Phil

Phil,

Well - yes and no.

I have just completed a BR-era West Country; (from an Airfix kit, Kemilway chassis amd Romford Terrier motor); and painted it with Precision BR Loco Green paint. Placed next to a Hornby 'Wilton', finished by Hornby in their Camouflage Green, the difference was intolerable.

I have therefore applied several coats of Klear to 'Wilton', which has certainly improved matters - though no-one could pretend that they were the same colour when placed side-by-side; (or double-heading, as they did on the S&DJR).

I just can't get my head round why Hornby insist on using this bilious shade of non-green.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

Just noticed this pic (excellent) on a previous set of posts Tony and I noticed the '80' limit sign by the North box. The reason I mention it is I though there was a 65mph limit over the flat crossing at 36E and this sign is only 500/600 yards north of that crossing. Seems a little odd?

Phil

image.png.2d656b2a220a65a2fef99623dd5116e6.png

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

Phil,

Well - yes and no.

I have just completed a BR-era West Country; (from an Airfix kit, Kemilway chassis amd Romford Terrier motor); and painted it with Precision BR Loco Green paint. Placed next to a Hornby 'Wilton', finished by Hornby in their Camouflage Green, the difference was intolerable.

I have therefore applied several coats of Klear to 'Wilton', which has certainly improved matters - though no-one could pretend that they were the same colour when placed side-by-side; (or double-heading, as they did on the S&DJR).

I just can't get my head round why Hornby insist on using this bilious shade of non-green.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Out of interest John, did you hand paint or spray that BR Loco Green? I ask as I have to find suitable green for some of my loco's (yes, actual kits in some cases), and I'd like an opinion on the product (by PM if preferred). Also, would you consider it suitable for BRSR coach colour by any chance.

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022

11 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Phil,

As usual with Hornby's (and Bachmann's) outside valve gear locos, the angle of the return crank is wrong on one side. On the Hornby LN it leans the wrong way on the nearside.

It should lean forward on this side. Oddly enough, the illustration on the box sleeve has it correct.

Regards,

Tony. 

Morning again.

You may wish to query the arrangement of the boiler ahead of the front splasher. It would seem to have a large cut-out that makes the loco look rather weak and spindly.

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Should I expect the 'DCC on-board' one to run on plain old DC? Obviously not with all the functions, but at least run. This one won't.

Hi Tony,

Even as someone who uses DCC exclusively, I would still expect a DCC on-board fitted locomotive to run straight from the box on DC. 

No one should be expected to fiddle around with CV settings to allow their new purchase to run.

I presume, as already mentioned, CV29 isn't set to allow DC running from the factory. Why they would do this is anyones guess.

Regards, Chris

29 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Out of interest John, did you hand paint or spray that BR Loco Green? I ask as I have to find suitable green for some of my loco's (yes, actual kits in some cases), and I'd like an opinion on the product (by PM if preferred). Also, would you consider it suitable for BRSR coach colour by any chance.

Phil

Phil,

This time - hand painted; though I have sprayed it in the past.

BR(S) coach green - I invariably use Phoenix "B.R. (S) Coach Green" - it looks spot-on to me.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, cctransuk said:

Phil,

This time - hand painted; though I have sprayed it in the past.

BR(S) coach green - I invariably use Phoenix "B.R. (S) Coach Green" - it looks spot-on to me.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Again John, for hand and spray (or Air Brush)? I hear that sometimes the actual can spray can be a bit 'spluttery'?

Phil

17 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Again John, for hand and spray (or Air Brush)? I hear that sometimes the actual can spray can be a bit 'spluttery'?

Phil

Morning Phil,

I resprayed (airbrushed) a set of Hornby Maunsell carriages a couple of years back with Phoenix BR  coach green, a massive improvement.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Phil,

Regards,

Tony. 

11 hours ago, cctransuk said:

It beggars belief !!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

1 hour ago, Mallard60022 said:

Phil

Is it perhaps a case of a digital camera picking up a difference in texture between the plastic finish of the bulk of the loco, and possibly a transfer on the middle splasher, and making them appear to be different colours whereas to the naked eye they look the same?  I have sometimes noticed this in pictures I've taken; for example a couple of years ago I photographed the HST power car that Great Western have restored to the original livery.  The yellow on the nose looked different to that on the bodysides and I put this down to the nose being brush painted whereas the body sides were vinyls, but when looking at the real thing the difference wasn't apparent.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Just noticed this pic (excellent) on a previous set of posts Tony and I noticed the '80' limit sign by the North box. The reason I mention it is I though there was a 65mph limit over the flat crossing at 36E and this sign is only 500/600 yards north of that crossing. Seems a little odd?

Phil

Bear in mind that it means that the speed is 80 mph beyond that point so the sign is telling the driver that, having reduced speed for the flat crossing, it is now OK to open up again to 80 beyond here.  Yes it is an excellent pic!

• Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 2

19 hours ago, t-b-g said:

I always use "If I want your opinion I will ask for it" as my benchmark.

I often do ask for opinions from a small group of close friends and sometimes I will ask somebody if they wish to hear mine.

But I try very hard not to inflict my opinion on people who may not want to hear it.

I have had a few layouts published and exhibited a few more. In most cases I am very aware of the things that either didn't go as well as I would have liked, or I got wrong, or I never finished properly.

Does that mean they should have stayed at home until every last thing was corrected? Or that I should be happy that an "expert" leans on the barrier and points out all the things that I know about?

If every person at every show just spent their time pointing out faults, however constructively, I would have done one show and no more. So who chooses which "experts" are allowed to go around constructively mentioning faults? Is everybody supposed to do it or just a select few?

That sort of thing doesn't appeal to me. So unless asked, I keep my thoughts to myself.

Tony,

a difficult one. Should we offer constructive comments? If done in a friendly and positive way, then yes. It's great when it leads to an interesting and friendly conversation. The difficulty is how to express it so that comments don't seem negative.

In offering constructive criticism, we are effectively suggesting someone should change the way they go about things. That might be researching the prototype, how they make and paint their models, operate the layout, how it is presented and so on. How well someone does that depends on their negotiating skills.

It is when criticism or comments are given to show off the viewers "expertise", in an unpleasant way, or just to say you have it wrong,  that it becomes unproductive and annoying. If you aren't sure how your comments will be received, perhaps to is best to say nothing. Yet that might not help others to "improve" their modelling (assuming they wish to do so). 

Jol

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, 31A said:

Bear in mind that it means that the speed is 80 mph beyond that point so the sign is telling the driver that, having reduced speed for the flat crossing, it is now OK to open up again to 80 beyond here.  Yes it is an excellent pic!

Of course. Thanks S.

P

• Like 1

I opened the conversation at an exhibition where I'd noticed an error was to say 'I've spotted something that is out of era – would they be interested in knowing?"

They were but then seemed mystified when I told them the earliest possible date a particular vehicle could have appeared outside the station was nine years after the date the layout was set in. I did add that my father owned the real thing and that it was quite possible that he drove it to the same station they had modelled. I think I was more pleased by the latter than they were.

One of things I look for on exhibition layouts is trees that look like particular varieties rather than being generic green things; I'm often disappointed in this but not always and I choose to say nothing. There's one P4 layout I can picture that has terrible trees but the rest looks of the layout looks fabulous. i'm curious as to how this state of affairs comes about since the builder(s) clearly have a critical eye for very fine detail of railway infrastructure. However, their sensibilities have clearly by-passed their arboreal arrangements, which form a fairly large element in the overall visual presentation.

Edited by Anglian
  • Like 2

Phil

Always paint tins - I've never used the Phoenix Precision spray cans as they do not have the best reputation.

From the tin - brushed or airbrushed - I always get an excellent finish over Halfords grey spray primer.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 31A said:

Is it perhaps a case of a digital camera picking up a difference in texture between the plastic finish of the bulk of the loco, and possibly a transfer on the middle splasher, and making them appear to be different colours whereas to the naked eye they look the same?

I strongly suspect that the centre splasher is indeed finished as part of the nameplate. Nonetheless, surely the rest of the loco is not unpainted plastic in this day and age?

Hornby have been using this vile grey / green to represent what was a rich, dark green for years, depite repeated protest here and elsewhere.

I recall brand new 'Peak' diesels displayed next to ex-works steam locos at the annual Derby Open Day; (AKA the Works Horticultural Show); and they were in identical shades of green, though the orange / black / orange lining on the latter emphasised the richness.

There is little point in Hornby applying ever finer lining, when discerning purchasers are going to have to repaint / line / letter their models.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Agree 3

On 12/04/2019 at 19:46, Tony Wright said:

Now, two questions, if I may, please?

Should I expect the 'DCC on-board' one to run on plain old DC? Obviously not with all the functions, but at least run. This one won't.

Regards,

Tony. 

In the case of Hornby's DCC fitted loco's (sound or otherwise) you certainly should.  The instructions will tell you they should operate on DC or DCC except it would appear that someone forgot to tell the factory.  The J36 I bought had exactly the same problem so preferring to run them in on DC before using them on DCC, I was surprised to find it didn't do exactly as it said on the tin.  One of the DCC variables has been incorrectly set. CV29 will have been set at 2 (as it was on the J36) or a number other than the correct number 6. To change it you either need someone with a DCC controller to set CV29 to 6 or replace the Decoder with a blanking plate.

Bob

Edited by Bob Reid
Edit to correct sentence. :)
  • Thanks 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1