Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

8 hours ago, Clem said:

Even though I haven't posted for a while (except to register my sadness of Roy's passing) I do try to keep in touch with this thread. I didn't make it to Quorn this year as it was my youngest daughter's birthday on Saturday and Father's day today so I was being treated to a meal at 'The Railway' at Lowdham which has just been voted the best food pub in the country and the food was indeed excellent. But when I got back, I came across this picture and thought of you, Tony. I'm sure you'll spot what I mean. 

69827_010_rdcd.jpg.1f06346f43c40c9e2c627854648acaf9.jpg

A5 69827 has just arrived at Derby Friargate from Grantham on a local passenger. 

Has the A5 just arrived, Clem? 

Or has the loco just buffered up to the train? 

Either way, where's the lamp(s)?

A prototype for everything? 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Agree 2

45 minutes ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

Theft at shows has been a continual issue, especially from trade stands. Years ago it was not uncommon for the organisers of the York MRS to broadcast an announcement, usually on Saturday morning, that some theft had occurred and exhibitors and traders should be vigilant. However, in general theft has probably been of such a low level that either the trader hasn't noticed what has gone, or never raised the matter. It is possible that such thefts in the past have been by people for their own collections,  but the amount that Tony refers to does seem on a more "commercial" scale.

Did the extensive news media coverage of the vandalism at the recent Market Deeping club's show at Stamford create the perception that models are very expensive and hence, in the mind of some individuals,  worth stealing? The quoted value for the scratchbuilt 7mm loco that was destroyed may have given the impression that all model locos have similar values.

Thanks Jol,

'Several thousands of pounds' worth of stock ' was bandied about as to the amount which was stolen at Quorn......................

As I mentioned, this would appear to be brand new Hornby/Bachmann/Heljan/Dapol/Farish/etc items - all more easily sold-on for parasitic, personal gain by the miscreants than, say, unique kit or scratch-built items. Personally, I don't leave locos and stock I've made overnight at shows, but, as far as I know, nothing 'personal' was nicked - or, at least, not on the same scale.

It could well be that the coverage given recently about the vandalism at Stamford might have raised the 'How much?!' profile of model railway items, but I doubt that was the reason for the theft over the weekend.

Regards,

Tony.  

2 hours ago, Jesse Sim said:

Quiet day today at work, so the old boy let me go do some modelling. 

My first locomotive kit, a SEF J39 was pulled out and I cracked on, it’s coming together way to easily, so either I’ve done a fantastic job or I’ve done something terribly wrong and it won’t work. We’ll find out soon. 

Not as hard as as I imagined. 

CBB52709-77AB-41A6-AF9C-45AF518B1BB7.jpeg

Good morning Jesse,

I'm glad to see you're not using the DS10 motor illustrated in the instructions.

I think you're doing a fantastic job. Why? Because, in the face of ever more RTR-dependency or commissioned work in this great hobby, you're emerging as a real modeller. One who's self-reliant, capable, prepared to learn, prepared to make things and one who doesn't put up artificial barriers such as 'I can't do that' or 'I'm useless at making things'. Not only that (and this is most-important), you're young!

Good on ya' cobber. Or is that appalling?

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, zr2498 said:

Just returned from a course at Pendon Museum. Tree workshop - course tutors Stuart Holt assisted by Mick Bonwick.

What a great time. Excellent tuition and jokes galore - what fun. Wanted to post the results of 2 days for beginners!. 6 students making 2 Elm, 1 Sycamore and 3 Beech (one of which had been damaged by lightening)

https://pendonmuseum.com/events/event.php?s=make-trees-the-pendon-way-weekend-workshop

Back to the soldering today but made a change to 'branch out' with modelling skills.

David

I didn't know there is no a tree making course, given the number I need to make for Brent I think it would be very beneficial 

1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

Has the A5 just arrived, Clem? 

Or has the loco just buffered up to the train? 

Either way, where's the lamp(s)?

A prototype for everything? 

To be fair I'm not entirely sure but it's facing West and looks like people are just starting to get off the train. The coaches would have been drawn out to the West by the A5 when all passengers had disembarked in order to run around and draw into the other face of the island platform in readiness for the return journey. I'm not sure of the lamp arrangements for a short shunt. If it has arrived without lamps then I suppose such things must have happened occasionally although I imagine the crew would be reprimanded if spotted. By the way, the photo has been colourised and I'm sceptical of the some of the colours used but it does bring back many memories of travelling to Derby with my grandmother from Kimberley, very often hauled by an A5. 

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Wonderful!

Picture taken at 'Bottom Loco' in 1923?

Regards,

Tony. 

Yes. She’ll look good on a 12 wheel Pullman train in full GC livery. 

Tim

• Agree 1

Inadequate model railway show security appears to have been revealed as a significant problem and a serious concern. Is it something specifically connected with the use of makeshift venues or should it now be regarded as a general problem? It should certainly be discussed / reviewed seriously . It seems to me essential to know that organisers’ security for future shows will be strong, continuous and pro-active, rather than a limp or passive arrangement catering (naively or optimistically?) only for an under-estimated risk......

• Agree 4

Thanks for the picture of "Valour" The splasher seems to be a different colour to the loco. I was of the impression that the GC painted the splashers the same as the boiler as did the LNER. Perhaps Dr Gee can provide the correct chapter and verse. Whatever it is a mighty locomotive as are all the large GC ones (especially the Atlantics)

I spoke with our leader at Quorn and found him in good form. The whole event  was a good show though I can only handle about two Traction Maintenance Depot layouts at a time! I was shocked to learn of the industrial scale theft there later. I assume that security was in place and operational. What was going on?  It is a concerning trend which may well bring into question the whole concept of model shows in the future. 

Martin Long

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

Theft at shows has been a continual issue, especially from trade stands. Years ago it was not uncommon for the organisers of the York MRS to broadcast an announcement, usually on Saturday morning, that some theft had occurred and exhibitors and traders should be vigilant. However, in general theft has probably been of such a low level that either the trader hasn't noticed what has gone, or never raised the matter. It is possible that such thefts in the past have been by people for their own collections,  but the amount that Tony refers to does seem on a more "commercial" scale.

Did the extensive news media coverage of the vandalism at the recent Market Deeping club's show at Stamford create the perception that models are very expensive and hence, in the mind of some individuals,  worth stealing? The quoted value for the scratchbuilt 7mm loco that was destroyed may have given the impression that all model locos have similar values.

At many shows in the Yorkshire area in the70s and 80s it was the same perpetrator. Everybody knew but he was clever enough to cover his tracks well enough for the allegations not to stick.

3 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Good morning Jesse,

I'm glad to see you're not using the DS10 motor illustrated in the instructions.

I think you're doing a fantastic job. Why? Because, in the face of ever more RTR-dependency or commissioned work in this great hobby, you're emerging as a real modeller. One who's self-reliant, capable, prepared to learn, prepared to make things and one who doesn't put up artificial barriers such as 'I can't do that' or 'I'm useless at making things'. Not only that (and this is most-important), you're young!

Good on ya' cobber. Or is that appalling?

Regards,

Tony. 

Again Tony your words lift me up to keep pushing myself. 

Thankyou! 

But, I must ask, how do the crank pins go in? Do they screw in and then solder it somewhere with the nut that comes with it? Then cut the remainder off? I got stuck and then went and worked on my Harley. I thought fitting my exhaust would be easy, building a chassis is easier then fitting exhaust pipes!!!! 

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

It did worry me at the time when I saw the figure being bandied around (£8K) for the loco value (which seems more than a tad ambitious to me, unless scratchbuilt or perhaps professionally made to the same standards as the likes of a certain Mr. Waterman would demand - in which case worth somewhat more.....). 

Jesse keep going your getting there...  I say that as I have a collection of locos that have got to a hard point and then have moved on to something else and I have yet to get back to them! 

I say that as i as I have justed  started a mineral tank from high level kits! 

You've used Romford wheels, haven't you?  Of course you have, you're s sensible lad...

The crankpins screw in with a special screwdriver made for the purpose.  Make sure they're perpendicular to the wheels.  You can then put the connecting rods on and test the chassis for free running.  I use either blobs of Blutak or small pieces of sleeving from thin electrical wire to hold the rods in place while Ido this.

Once you've fettled the rods and you're happy with the running, slip a small square of Rizla paper onto the crankpin outside the coupling rod, then put the Romford washer over the top.  A drop of flux and a tiny bit of solder should then secure the washer to the crankpin but not the rod.  The washers have a small chamfer on one side for the solder to pool in.  That should go on the outside.

Cut off the excess pin and file the washer surface flat, making sure you don't drop swarf into the bearings or gearbox (if it's already fitted).

Edited by jwealleans
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

2 hours ago, glo41f said:

Thanks for the picture of "Valour" The splasher seems to be a different colour to the loco. I was of the impression that the GC painted the splashers the same as the boiler as did the LNER. Perhaps Dr Gee can provide the correct chapter and verse. Whatever it is a mighty locomotive as are all the large GC ones (especially the Atlantics)

I spoke with our leader at Quorn and found him in good form. The whole event  was a good show though I can only handle about two Traction Maintenance Depot layouts at a time! I was shocked to learn of the industrial scale theft there later. I assume that security was in place and operational. What was going on?  It is a concerning trend which may well bring into question the whole concept of model shows in the future. 

Martin Long

GCR loco livery is a very complex subject. Apart from variations in the general scheme / schemes over the course of time there were interesting differences in the way that the livery was applied or adapted to different classes of loco. There was certainly a time when the 9P (B3) class had a dark red shade for the splasher faces, matching things such as the frames, steps and valances. Get John Quick's book if you'd like a full analysis.

• Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, Jesse Sim said:

Again Tony your words lift me up to keep pushing myself. 

Thankyou! 

But, I must ask, how do the crank pins go in? Do they screw in and then solder it somewhere with the nut that comes with it? Then cut the remainder off? I got stuck and then went and worked on my Harley. I thought fitting my exhaust would be easy, building a chassis is easier then fitting exhaust pipes!!!! 

Jesse,

As Jonathan has said, you need a special Romford screwdriver (available from Markits or Wizard/Comet) to fix the crank pins securely in place. It's the same hollow, slotted one which is used to put the drivers on to the squares of their axles.

The crank pin retaining washers need to be soldered in place, once you're happy that the rods revolve freely. To do this, a temporary 'barrier' has to be inserted between the coupling rod and the washer. By far the best material for this is kit instruction paper (it's usually useless for anything else, especially instructing!). Just tear off a square of sufficient size to cover the wheel, poke a small hole in it, place it on top of the coupling rod's bearing (for each wheel), insert the washer, then solder it in place - carefully. In and out, fast, with the iron, that's the trick. A dab of flux and not too much solder. Once happy, cut off the protruding pin and file flush, then tear off the paper. Don't forget to leave the centre pin on the offside long, so that you can then fit the lubricator drive on the J39.

Having never fitted an exhaust pipe, yet fitted thousands of crank pin retaining washers, I'll stick with what I know!

Regards,

Tony.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Clem said:

I've been itching to build an engine or some stock for weeks but I've been very disciplined (for a change) and spent my railway time on the layout itself. I've built a side extension to the visible layout ( to take the coal line), a new main control panel, a new junction in the hidden sidings which makes operating the layout much better and infrastructure and wiring for signalling to go in... not to mention a number of pieces of track maintenance to improve reliability. Here are a few of photos to give an idea...

IMG_3403_rdcd.jpg.d111dbff5c37e5e8170ab9476dd6db93.jpg

IMG_3404_rdcd.jpg.8f30f60554c3f5f2eda33a5b1b646ba3.jpg

IMG_3405_rdcd.jpg.56ba4029e4c6816904d34334638a3df4.jpg

IMG_3406_rdcd.jpg.d18d951a0ff60270a760184bcd4f042b.jpg

IMG_3401_rdcd.jpg.44add1b94a69554e40ad0715bf492a34.jpg

As you can see it's very much work in progress. All of the buildings (prototype card kits) are place holders for when I get to doing the buildings and scenery (next). There is still so much to do but a couple of working signals certainly brings a layout to life.

I pretty well owe everything to my brother who passed away almost 4 years ago now. We were pretty close but our strengths were at the complete opposite end of the spectrum. He would plan layouts for years and build very little (although what he did build was to a really high standard) but his plans were brilliant creations and each and every one followed working practice - totally plausible if it had been full size. On the other hand, I bluster ahead, making things without adequate planning and nothing illustrates this better than this layout. Its original footprint was much smaller and I've expanded both on the visible and on the hidden side quite extensively. I never seem to learn that if you plan ahead, you end up doing half the work... and having to accept half of the compromises.... But it's nice when one of my blusterings (planned modifications) comes together.  

PS.  Tony: notice the A5 has a lamp!! 

Craftsman, Nu-Cast or scratch, Clem?

1101964208_A501Craftsman.jpg.dc1c09e08ce1c617f805578f87d07c5b.jpg

Bytham's A5 was built/painted/weathered by Tony Geary using a Craftsman kit (I need to lower the top front lamp bracket from the smokebox to the smokebox door, and add a cab roof ventilator. I have subsequently changed the bogie/pony wheels to the correct, ten-spoke pattern).

1471128578_A569814Grantham21_08.602251.jpg.75b211c27406e6395bc5404a6147af6c.jpg

A very-handsome class indeed.

The whole layout is coming together really well. Thanks for showing us.........................

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
  • Like 9

1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

Craftsman, Nu-Cast or scratch, Clem?

Thanks for the kind comments, Tony. It is coming together but it seems to be taking forever! 

Yes it's a Nu-Cast kit although I think the chimney is a Craftsman if I remember correctly. It was one of the first kits I built in the late '70s. A really good kit for a beginner - substantial but no outside valve gear. I've always loved the A5s. I really wish one had been preserved. Do you know if SEF have plans to re-introduce it?

2 hours ago, gr.king said:

A layout with elegant turned legs must be fairly rare.

Hi Graeme, I hope you are well. Some years ago we decided to change our staircase and landing from solid wood sides to open bannisters. Somehow we got far too many bannisters - hence I found a use for them - layout legs. The layout won't be moved/exhibited and the most of the  main baseboards are supported with braced 2x1 as well. The fancy legs tend to act in the main as extra support for the extensions. Still, nice to know someone likes my layout legs :huh:

• Like 2