Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Premium

Somebody once told me that at a basic level, a bridge is built to go over a water course and a viaduct is to link two high areas of land either side of a low area but isn't built specifically to cross a water course.

I have never checked to see if it was right or if the examples quoted for that pattern but it sounded convincing at the time.

Re bridges I,m writing this from our hotel just north of the River Kwai bridge in Thailand. Had a most enjoyable train ride today over the bridge to the lines end at Nam Tok, nearly two hours each way 3rd class, hard wooden seats and open wide windows, coach behind the Loco, a bargain for around  a fiver. Wonderful journey.

There is a new museum in Kanchanaburi dedicated to this railway and it,s builders, it is well worth visiting, having some fine models of the steam locomotives etc and the bridges, cuttings  etc. It,s opposite the immaculatley  kept military cemetery. 

By the way, if you want bargains in O scale, go American. I baulked at UK O scale prices back in 1982, went North American, Never looked back.

Brit15

• Informative/Useful 2

18 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Not much help I'm afraid, Jamie,

But from my spares box. Down the decades I've collected all sorts of bits and pieces. DMR used to do various frets of different radii for balance weights, as did Jackson Evans. Some (don't know the source now) were made in cast metal. 

All I did was rummage through and find a suitable set. 

Try Markits. Mark Arscott does a full range of etched balance weights, some for the diameter of a J6 wheel. 01923 249711. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Thanks Tony,

Jonathan has given me another suggestion so I’ll give that a try first and then look at buying some.

Regards,

Jamie

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Re: reference costs for O gauge RTR brass, the rather excellent Pacifics produced by 55H/ Lawrie Loveless retail at around £2,500 to £2,800 for a fully finished model.  

Gauge 1 at a little under £4000 for an A3, last time I looked.

Produced in Chinese factories I believe, so probably at a rather lower hourly rate than has been recently quoted!

Phil.

• RMweb Premium

Costs and time of 7 mm/ft scale vs 4 mm/ft scale - my instinct is that to build and appropriately stock an O gauge layout that took up the same space as Little Bytham would cost about the same and take about the same amount of time but it would be a much "smaller" layout. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, grahame said:

I thought we were talking about RTR costs rather than kits. Aren't the chassis in them steel with probably very little brass and nickel silver as these days they are mostly plastic. And I understand that brass is cheaper than steel.

G

. Got it wrong. Again.

But as for Brass being cheaper than Steel....where are you buying your Brass from?  These scrap prices suggest brass is worth 20 -30 times that of steel:

http://www.gpmetalsandspares.co.uk/metal-recycling/

7 minutes ago, polybear said:

. Got it wrong. Again.

But as for Brass being cheaper than Steel....where are you buying your Brass from?  These scrap prices suggest brass is worth 20 -30 times that of steel

I don't buy brass, just spend it, but I recall reading about prices somewhere. Could be wrong. But then there's not very much brass in a plastic RTR model, even one of a GWR loco.

G.

• Funny 1

1 hour ago, Chamby said:

Re: reference costs for O gauge RTR brass, the rather excellent Pacifics produced by 55H/ Lawrie Loveless retail at around £2,500 to £2,800 for a fully finished model.  

Gauge 1 at a little under £4000 for an A3, last time I looked.

Produced in Chinese factories I believe, so probably at a rather lower hourly rate than has been recently quoted!

Phil.

Some interesting figures there, Phil,

Many thanks for posting.

Now, some comparisons, if I may? 

1505394711_LLovelessGauge1A401.jpg.1267df72280fae06fac892daa8ccecd3.jpg

Probably worth every penny at £4,000.00? A lovely Loveless A4 in Gauge 1!

I don't have any pictures to hand right now of LL O Gauge A3s, but these will do, I hope.

322102917_LLovelessOgaugeW101.jpg.ef75cdf2cc051102f3547f68e63ef177.jpg

The original W1.

578609321_LovelessP208.jpg.cdb494b3dcc791e9acecef88ac6cd1a1.jpg

782968615_LovelessP209.jpg.2630c139712cd5e76d5cc41df12e2453.jpg

And two shots of an LL P2 in O Gauge. Around £2,500.00 - £2,800.00 you say? 

Now, at well over a third less the price....................................

841985925_60072SUNSTAR.jpg.065f4a8f985f2b8bc9e9da4c7075f3a6.jpg

A Hatton's A3. Obviously not made in the same material, not in the same 'class', but, also, not in the same price bracket. Food for thought?

How about some 4mm/OO price comparisons?

1094009958_Locos01.jpg.73d83d5baf9755524fbad8613ebc469f.jpg

A Bachmann RTR A1. Priced at £150.00 - £175.00? A good model?

1023622964_RM012HALOTHEWYND.jpg.fb46fdc3c361be50f161550ed3842396.jpg

An equivalent, built by me from a DJH kit and painted by Ian Rathbone. Not far off ten times the price of the RTR A1! 

182059224_P225HornbyP2.jpg.6cf3b108b89e04f94fc06c3eaa62294f.jpg

Hornby's P2 (not the Railroad one, the fully-lined example). Price, around £125.00?

1094022524_IanRathbone-linedP2.jpg.04078f2f6d1ddcefd83d3dc665865eaf.jpg

How about one costing over ten times more! Yes, not exactly the same loco, but nonetheless an interesting comparison? I built this from an ACE kit and Ian Rathbone painted it. I built it at mates' rates for a mate. 'Stone-cold', it would have been £1,500.00!

As with anything one buys, 'you pays your money and you takes your choice'.

Regards,

Tony.  

• Like 16
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, ardbealach said:

in a recent posting uax6 said

Ah, but they replaced the Forth Bridge Rail for standard sized flatbottom about ten years ago, so it depends on the date of those photos if you will see the forth bridge rail.... ;-)

I attach some photos taken away back in 1967 on the Forth Bridge - these have already been added elsewhere on RMweb - which show the track laid on the bridge at that time. 

And why is it called a 'bridge' and not a 'viaduct'? (AM)

class 40 heading south.jpg

looking north from south approach.jpg

main span looking north 2.jpg

looking north on main span.jpg

The key feature, which shows up well here, is that the rails were laid in troughs. I understand that this was quite unusual.

There is something very 'right' about the new bridge. Without any knowledge of the prototype and writing purely on aesthetic merits, this replacement fits the overall scene so well. I guess that stands as testament to modelling the prototype.

The discussion about the prices of commissioned models suggest that R-T-R OO remains very good value for money, all things considered. I'd be interested to know how long it takes to complete a coach from a kit – that's where R-T-R must really offer exceptional value for money. 

• RMweb Gold
55 minutes ago, Anglian said:

There is something very 'right' about the new bridge. Without any knowledge of the prototype and writing purely on aesthetic merits, this replacement fits the overall scene so well. I guess that stands as testament to modelling the prototype.

The discussion about the prices of commissioned models suggest that R-T-R OO remains very good value for money, all things considered. I'd be interested to know how long it takes to complete a coach from a kit – that's where R-T-R must really offer exceptional value for money. 

Recently finished a Comet GW diagram C66/75 all third; I’d say about 2 momths to complete, paint, and number.  Cost comparable to a Hornby Collett suburban until you factor in your own labour/time. 

RTR is pretty good value for money as long as the prototype you want is in production; don’t forget that it’s being in the catalogue doesn’t mean it’s available as production takes place in runs.  It is useless otherwise, and needs must you build a kit or scratch. 

Plastic wagon kits (Dapol/Kitmaster, Parkside, Cambrian) are relatively easy to build, about 6 hours including painting and transfers, and significantly cheaper; also you are more likely to get a correct rather than generic chassis.  Cambrians are cheap and realistic but have no transfers, wheels, or couplings. 

Loco kits are getting thin on the ground, and it is much more of a job to improve on or even equal RTR standards. Steam loco chassis kits, neither cheap nor easy, will still improve on RTR detail and performance, though. 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, grahame said:

Aren't the chassis in them steel with probably very little brass and nickel silver as these days they are mostly plastic.

No, most RTR chassis are Mazak alloy. Certainly in OO and N, not sure what in Hattons O, but certainly not steel on the Dapol O gauge I have. Dapol in N have used tungsten for some chassis parts.

Mazak is a zinc/aluminium alloy.

Cheers,
Alan

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Dr Al said:

No, most RTR chassis are Mazak alloy. Certainly in OO and N, not sure what in Hattons O, but certainly not steel on the Dapol O gauge I have. Dapol in N have used tungsten for some chassis parts.

Mazak is a zinc/aluminium alloy.

Cheers,
Alan

I don't know what the Dapol A3/A4, Britannia and Hall chassis plates are made out of (not brass for sure) but they take solder very well. All the Farish steam locomotive chassis I have are almost certainly Zamak (similar to but more common that Mazak) alloy and, but comparison, is unsurprisingly not a great alloy to try and solder.

Edited by Atso

2 hours ago, Anglian said:

It probably depends on the person making them.

I was at an exhibition recently and someone was doing a soldering demonstration. In the three hours or so that I was there he had soldered up about a dozen etched brass carriage kits. That included all the hinges, door handles and such. The kits looked like they were all Chowbent/51L LNWR suburban or similar.

This type I think.

https://www.wizardmodels.ltd/shop/carriage/lnwr-diagram-338-general-service-non-corridor-suburban-brake-third-lnwd338/

Obviously he was just soldering the body shell and chassis with no bogies, buffers, interior, roof, etc. being added or painting. But it was batch building on an industrial scale.

Jason

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Clearwater said:

Tony

If you’ve not seen it, this picture may be of interest:

LITTLE BYTHAM - Bridge No.43 spans the GNR mainline just north of Little Bytham Station, brand new and not yet completed. Evidently, the quadrupling of this section was imminent as plenty of room has been left for a fourth track. The bridge was demolished shortly after closure but the abutments are still there. I used to sit on them as a boy to spot but the signalman would usually chase us off.

https://transportsofdelight.smugmug.com/RAILWAYS/MIDLAND-GREAT-NORTHERN-JOINT-RAILWAY/MGNJR-MISCELLANY/i-DPnPg3v/M. Someone called Paul Johnson - interesting collection of photos.

David

What a good find!

Pity we haven't got one of those Star Trek viewers so we can get a closer look and see the bridge deck

David

8 hours ago, Clearwater said:

Tony

If you’ve not seen it, this picture may be of interest:

LITTLE BYTHAM - Bridge No.43 spans the GNR mainline just north of Little Bytham Station, brand new and not yet completed. Evidently, the quadrupling of this section was imminent as plenty of room has been left for a fourth track. The bridge was demolished shortly after closure but the abutments are still there. I used to sit on them as a boy to spot but the signalman would usually chase us off.

https://transportsofdelight.smugmug.com/RAILWAYS/MIDLAND-GREAT-NORTHERN-JOINT-RAILWAY/MGNJR-MISCELLANY/i-DPnPg3v/M. Someone called Paul Johnson - interesting collection of photos.

David

This is very interesting, David,

Many thanks for showing it. 

It would appear that the bridge is virtually brand-new (with chaps still working on it?), and thus dates from around 1897 when the MR/M&GNR link was completed. As such (and is obvious in the picture) it pre-dates the quadrupling of the main line over a decade later. It was a condition of the bridge's length when erected that it would be able to span future expansion on the main line.

Other points of interest? The telegraph poles on the Up side (we're looking north). After quadrupling, the telegraph poles were placed on the Down side, and remained that way until mechanical signalling disappeared from here in the mid-'70s. Also note the ballast over the sleepers - typical Victorian practice at the time. Though not really visible here, adjacent to where the houses are in the village (just to the left), the railway is carried across the the village on two viaducts. On quadrupling, four further viaducts were built, on both sides of the existing pair, to carry the respective slow roads (the ECML, in its four-track sections, was paired by direction, not speed; unlike the L&NWR or the GWR). The arches don't match up, so, had we had the space to take the model further north, that would have been a very interesting modelling challenge. 

This bridge's abutments still stand, of course, though the ends are now taken back at 45 degrees. They used to provide a wonderful vantage point for photography on the main line, but a decree went out about five years ago that 'all the world will be fenced'. Now metal (and totally-unsympathetic to its environment in appearance) fencing prevents access to view the main line. 

What does all this mean to me? The 'wisdom' (if anything I'm associated with can ever be called wise) of always modelling an actual prototype. 

Regards,

Tony.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Dr Al said:

. . . most RTR chassis are Mazak alloy. Certainly in OO and N, not sure what in Hattons O . . .

Mazak (a licensed derivative of Zamak) is an alloy primarily used for castings and is made from other raw materials such as aluminium with some zinc and a little magnesium and copper. There are other metals used in models such as pressed steel (for tension lock couplers?, motor cans?, and other sheet requirements) and brass/copper (wire, pick-ups, etc).

However this thread was about the percentage cost of raw materials in models which is a small amount of the total cost and selling price. Nonetheless discussions seem to have moved on although the cost premise still holds true.

G

1 hour ago, grahame said:

Mazak (a licensed derivative of Zamak) is an alloy primarily used for castings and is made from other raw materials such as aluminium with some zinc and a little magnesium and copper.

There are other metals used in models such as pressed steel (for tension lock couplers?, motor cans?, and other sheet requirements) and brass/copper (wire, pick-ups, etc).

The volume of other metals used in components such as listed is tiny as compared the main chassis block castings. Those components may have more machining or manufacture costs, but based on volume the relative material cost per unit will be tiny compared the Mazak, albeit dependent on the individual constituents cost.

Threads move on, and as such it is worth correcting that most RTR does not use steel for chassis blocks so anyone reading is not misled. Steel would be a very bad choice in many ways as it's so prone to corrosion.

Cheers,
Alan

• Informative/Useful 1

My own continuing attempt to build a 4mm scale model of an old ECJS D.79 composite diner (albeit largely from scratch rather than any kit) seems to have taken longer than any loco scratch-builds I've attempted, although there have been many distractions and interruptions, along with an unexpected struggle to find details of the prototype, having failed to appreciate at the outset just how much I would need to know.....

2 hours ago, gr.king said:

My own continuing attempt to build a 4mm scale model of an old ECJS D.79 composite diner (albeit largely from scratch rather than any kit) seems to have taken longer than any loco scratch-builds I've attempted, although there have been many distractions and interruptions, along with an unexpected struggle to find details of the prototype, having failed to appreciate at the outset just how much I would need to know.....

Thanks Graeme,

I think you've highlighted a point very well there. That of the time-imperative for making models, especially when there are 'interruptions'. 

Like you, I make models for myself, never really factoring in the time. However, when 'earning a crust' depended on making things, then time was at a premium. That's why I gave up doing conversions for others, and (I wish I could always take my own advice here!), not taking on projects which had been started by others.

Regards,

Tony.  

• Like 1

Tony,

Thank you for a wonderful walk through of some of your coaching stock. It's very interesting to make the comparisons between hand built and ready to run and to see how the later has improved over time. The thing I notice is that it's not until the Bachmann Thompson that the R-T-R glazing is as good as that of the hand built version.

The other aspect that I find interesting is the different level of gloss to the finish. Larry G's being quite glossy. Do you have a view on whether gloss or matt better replicates the right prototypical appearance at 4mm scale, or is it a case of both, depending on the age of the vehicle?

Piggly numbers – the companies making the transfers ought to do some research and produce decal sets of the full running numbers. I think it's a bit much expecting modellers to be able to line-up a row of tiny digits. To overcome this I've designed decal sets (for small scale aeroplanes) to get round the potential issue but it can be very time consuming to do. The sheets I've had printed are waterslide so nudging the decal into a precise position isn't too bad.

• Thanks 1