Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Thanks Tony,

When I say I used 'random' numbers on wagons, it's not entirely at random.

For instance, I use a lot of Modelmasters' transfers for 'bespoke' types, including loads for 16T mineral wagons. These in their various forms (the ones I use in the main) cater for ex-LMS, ex-LNER and BR-built examples. I try to identify which is right for which (I have plenty of source material), but I couldn't 'swear' that I get it right every time. As for ex-PO wagons with their 'P' prefix, how many RCH examples of mineral wagons were there still operating on BR in the '50s? 

Many of the steel mineral wagons running on LB were built (by others) from the ubiquitous Airfix kit. How many different numbers did Airfix provide with those? Not hundreds, perhaps half a dozen? Thus (and I haven't checked) several (because at least four different guys built them) might have the same number. That might well be the reason why my dear-departed and very dear friend, Pete Lander, hand-lettered several he made, but it was over 40 years ago!  As you say 'in the great scheme of things', and I'm certainly not altering anything he did.

This 'same-numbering' illustrates the different 'status' afforded to locomotives in comparison with 'humble' wagons. Shortly after Bachmann brought out its Scottish 'Director', I was observing a layout where two of them (identical) were running, almost side by side, for the duration of the show (they belonged to two club members). I noticed this instantly, as I'm sure most spectators did. However, there was also a rake of RTR Bachmann 16T mineral wagons circulating. Would it surprise you that I never took any notice if the numbers were duplicated, incorrect or even missing? 

Finally, though I acknowledge the rightful place which Buckingham holds as being very high up in the 'influential' stakes in the history of our hobby (it influenced me immensely), I can't class it as 'the single most important layout ever built' (my opinion, of course). Retford would be my choice, even though it isn't (nor ever will be?) finished. But then, it's a model of an actual place (which, as you know, is paramount to me) and it's one of the locations I used to trainspot at.  

Regards,

Tony.   

That is very much a personal judgement and I respect that totally but if you look at the hobby as a whole, the influence that Buckingham has had in inspiring others over 72 years is much greater.

People are still trying to emulate Buckingham now (see "Buckingham West" on RMWeb) but I don't see anybody trying to emulate Retford.

A you know, I have a personal connection to both layouts and have put many hours of work into both but in terms of which one is more important in the history of the hobby, I have to disagree with you.

• Agree 5

I'm just writing a retrospective piece for BRM on John Houlden's erstwhile Gamston Bank.

2110790972_Gamston59.jpg.d0693ef550d2fe240ef30fe0add22d77.jpg

It was very popular on the exhibition circuit, and was a convincing (if shortened) representation of the section of the ECML just south of Retford. 

When its exhibition life came to an end, its mortal remains were burned in 'ceremonial' style (at Roy Jackson's place?), anything recoverable having been removed first. 

Though I doubt if it influenced me personally (it was built long after I was involved in the building of ECML depictions, though it did pre-date Little Bytham), I, obviously, found it very interesting. 

1150728558_14V2onfastfreight.jpg.c423c18cad3d1f049741c3aed2261583.jpg

John himself had built earlier ER main line depictions (though not prototype-based), including his East Ranford. In this view, a pair of Crownline V2s (like everything else, built by John) are on display. Both subsequently served on Gamston.

What happened to them after John had nowhere to run them on?

823204430_telegraphpoles07.jpg.05f2160485d14dbe9da48b9b38e5a067.jpg

Well, the one on the right has ended up on Little Bytham. Though I usually build my own locos, models of this quality could not be refused. It shows how long I've owned it now by the mock-up nature of the station and footbridge, as well as the point rodding.

1463465010_DJHA16015602.jpg.644224752de9f2be0cdf72eb6fa1c007.jpg

Here's another ex-Gaston loco, in the form of a DJH A1 (though I'll have to lower that front numberplate and top lamp bracket to be strictly correct for my period). 

I've mused as to the number of layouts which no longer exist which have proved 'inspirational'. I firmly believe that layouts are really transitory things. In the main, their principal fabrics wear out and fade. Several I'm aware of have been kept going for too long, and their later showings have been shadows of what they once were. Locos and stock can last for generations, but 'natural' materials bend, warp and fade over time. 

Buckingham, of course, thankfully still exists, though I was very careful when I photographed it not to get too close - 60 year old cardboard and paper tend to look like exactly what they are! Its influence on me in my formative years was substantial.

Anyone out there been influenced in their modelling by layouts which no longer exist? Though not my region nor time, Ken Northwood's North Devon would certainly be on my list. 

• Like 8
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

That is very much a personal judgement and I respect that totally but if you look at the hobby as a whole, the influence that Buckingham has had in inspiring others over 72 years is much greater.

People are still trying to emulate Buckingham now (see "Buckingham West" on RMWeb) but I don't see anybody trying to emulate Retford.

A you know, I have a personal connection to both layouts and have put many hours of work into both but in terms of which one is more important in the history of the hobby, I have to disagree with you.

I would have to agree with Tony G here, Buckingham is comfortably the layout that most influenced my modelling - a pre-group terminus with great operational interest. I am modelling a prototype station, Bath Queensquare, but here I am fortunate that my two favourite companies shared the facilities there, had that not been the case I would happily have made up a believable, fictional, scenario.

My other big influence is much more niche, Iain Rice's North Cornwall Mineral, a completely fictional but believable light railway. The result is my own North Somerset Light Railway - Highbury, Tucking Mill, William Smith's Wharf and more to come.

IMG_1490.PNG.49e11499cde038361cdeda8947dc6f65.PNG

Jerry

• Like 9

16 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

I respect your opinions entirely as well, Tony,

After all, we've been friends for a long time. 

Why is there nobody trying to emulate Retford? Simple. There only ever was one Roy Jackson. 

There only ever was one Peter Denny, of course, but for the sheer breadth of vision and even 'heroism' to undertake the building of such a vast project as Retford, nobody comes near to the 'great man'. 

Perhaps I am wrong, after all. Regarding 'influence', it's likely that Roy had an effect in different ways. Most folk (if not all?) confronted with having to build the likes of Retford would be frightened off!  

Regards,

Tony.

Edited by Tony Wright
to clarify a point
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

I'm just writing a retrospective piece for BRM on John Houlden's erstwhile Gamston Bank.

2110790972_Gamston59.jpg.d0693ef550d2fe240ef30fe0add22d77.jpg

It was very popular on the exhibition circuit, and was a convincing (if shortened) representation of the section of the ECML just south of Retford. 

When its exhibition life came to an end, its mortal remains were burned in 'ceremonial' style (at Roy Jackson's place?), anything recoverable having been removed first. 

Though I doubt if it influenced me personally (it was built long after I was involved in the building of ECML depictions, though it did pre-date Little Bytham), I, obviously, found it very interesting. 

1150728558_14V2onfastfreight.jpg.c423c18cad3d1f049741c3aed2261583.jpg

John himself had built earlier ER main line depictions (though not prototype-based), including his East Ranford. In this view, a pair of Crownline V2s (like everything else, built by John) are on display. Both subsequently served on Gamston.

What happened to them after John had nowhere to run them on?

823204430_telegraphpoles07.jpg.05f2160485d14dbe9da48b9b38e5a067.jpg

Well, the one on the right has ended up on Little Bytham. Though I usually build my own locos, models of this quality could not be refused. It shows how long I've owned it now by the mock-up nature of the station and footbridge, as well as the point rodding.

1463465010_DJHA16015602.jpg.644224752de9f2be0cdf72eb6fa1c007.jpg

Here's another ex-Gaston loco, in the form of a DJH A1 (though I'll have to lower that front numberplate and top lamp bracket to be strictly correct for my period). 

I've mused as to the number of layouts which no longer exist which have proved 'inspirational'. I firmly believe that layouts are really transitory things. In the main, their principal fabrics wear out and fade. Several I'm aware of have been kept going for too long, and their later showings have been shadows of what they once were. Locos and stock can last for generations, but 'natural' materials bend, warp and fade over time. 

Buckingham, of course, thankfully still exists, though I was very careful when I photographed it not to get too close - 60 year old cardboard and paper tend to look like exactly what they are! Its influence on me in my formative years was substantial.

Anyone out there been influenced in their modelling by layouts which no longer exist? Though not my region nor time, Ken Northwood's North Devon would certainly be on my list. 

Borchester for another.

There's a whole topic on this:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/67526-older-inspirational-layouts/

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

Just going back a little to one of my earlier comments regarding who would ever commission a wagon build. I've been asked to build a pair of 2mm Association Prestwins for use on an N gauge exhibition layout. The kit is mainly etches with a nicely cast resin tank piece. While, I'm not charging my usual rate (I help operate the layout from time to time), they will work out considerably more expensive than any RTR wagons.

Anyway, some pictures of my progress to date.

20190705_134552.jpg.5649de9a5a7924eb8716fd7845bd801a.jpg

20190705_134640.jpg.fcef0b1c7544cf422824a7aac31b8a27.jpg

20190705_170605.jpg.9798b2e342214391791d72f85859bc23.jpg

20190706_113513.jpg.786e2b3a1150763f1128ef81ee0dcf44.jpg

Before anyone asks, yes these will be numbered correctly! ;)

Edited by Atso
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 9

• RMweb Premium

Going off the present topic:

What does the crowd generally use for the colour on coupling and con rods please? I'm modelling the early LMS days up on the Highland, and pictures show that the rods are either polished or a dark colour.

What do we use for these two colours please?

Andy G

• RMweb Gold

I think we need to distinguish between "influential" and "significant." I'd definitely put Retford into the latter category - it is (or was) an amazing achievement - but unless there's a lot of really huge prototype-based (100 foot or more) layouts being built (and I know there are a few, yes) I wouldn't call it influential in that sense.

Borchester Market on the other hand, I would consider very influential, perhaps helped by the special issue of Model Railways in which Frank Dyer set out his entire ethos with regards to modelling, covering everything from couplings to platform heights and the realistic placement of trees and animals in fields.

Edited by Barry Ten
  • Like 1
  • Agree 8

I wonder would Chiltern Green be considered significant or influential? It was the first layout I saw that really demonstrated the true potential of 2mm/N, that you really could model a four track mainline in the landscape and also that the focal point of a layout need not be a station.

Martin Welch's Hursley demonstrated the hi-fidelity photogenic possibilities for O gauge – one of the few layouts that has made me look twice when viewing black and white images.

Where does the Norris layout fit into the scheme of things – possibly the first extensive fine scale layout?

What of Pendon?

I devoured everything David Jenkinson wrote, that I could get my hands on. Even as a teenager I loved reading about the trials and tribulations of his modelling and layouts so I wonder if it's his writing rather than his modelling that is influential? 

Edited by Anglian
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

If inspiring means encouraging others to (attempt to) replicate their ideas, then in terms of "modern image" and small layouts, Ian Futers' work must be considered influential.  While I sometimes think he keeps remaking the same model (although he has changed from P4 to 7mm scale), he has made many entirely believable small layouts on the minimum-number-of-turnouts principle.  His P4 "Lochside" was one of the first diesel era layouts (set in the present day) that I remember seemed both achievable and realistically detailed.  There were any number of "copies" in the magazines for years afterwards, only some of which credited Ian's work.

Closer to RMWeb, may I suggest our own Clive Mortimore's "Hanging Hill"?  This dates from over 20 years ago and for many years afterwards, diesel layouts in the magazines were - and still are to a degree - dominated by small diesel depots.   Sadly very few have demonstrated the level of research into realistic depot design and operation that Hanging Hill did, while I don't remember the same repetition of layout design in diesel era layouts before.

• RMweb Gold

Good evening Tony and the 'Wright Writes' gang.

I hope this is ok to post here and that it is of interest, the latest episode of my podcast project 'Railway Mania' focuses on Edward Thompson of the LNER and takes the form of an interview with Simon A.C. Martin.

Tony, as you model the Eastern Region and have several Thompson designs, you might enjoy listening in? There is a tenuous link to page 1 of this thread which features your A2/2. :D

(There is an error - I wrote 'K1 2-6-2' in one graphic instead of 'K1 2-6-0' - d'oh!)

There's an audio-only version here:

https://audioboom.com/posts/7304683-edward-thompson-hero-or-villain-with-simon-a-c-martin

I hope that it's entertaining, at least!

All the best

Corwin

• Like 3

Unfortunately, I don't think Retford got the exposure to be as influential as it could have been.  I don't know why this might have been, maybe it wasn't finished enough for the magazines.  I think I've seen more of that other magnum opus, Carlisle, than I ever did of Retford which has been on the go for much longer.

Buckingham is beautifully observed and maybe the careworn aspects add to the feel of a working railway.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, Corbs said:

I hope this is ok to post here and that it is of interest, the latest episode of my podcast project 'Railway Mania' focuses on Edward Thompson of the LNER and takes the form of an interview with Simon A.C. Martin.

Tony, as you model the Eastern Region and have several Thompson designs, you might enjoy listening in? There is a tenuous link to page 1 of this thread which features your A2/2. :D

(There is an error - I wrote 'K1 2-6-2' in one graphic instead of 'K1 2-6-0' - d'oh!)

https://audioboom.com/posts/7304683-edward-thompson-hero-or-villain-with-simon-a-c-martin

All the best

Corwin

An interesting piece, Corwin,

Thanks for posting this. 

I've listened to about 40 minutes, and nothing Simon says surprises me (I wish 'absolutely' wasn't his preference to qualify a statement instead of just plain 'yes'). 

He questions the availability of the P2s (I'm not doubting his figures by the way), but there was almost a revolt by the guys at the sharp end in Scotland who operated them when the decision was made to rebuild them. Despite the low figures, they knew their capabilities. The A2/2s would 'slip on Portobello Sands!' 

Surely Thompson wasn't responsible for converting COCK O' THE NORTH to Right-Hand drive (picture of the P2 to the left). 

I'll listen to the rest later...................

Regards,

Tony.

P.S. I'll be doing some more DVD footage soon, and sending you the card. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Buhar said:

Unfortunately, I don't think Retford got the exposure to be as influential as it could have been.  I don't know why this might have been, maybe it wasn't finished enough for the magazines.  I think I've seen more of that other magnum opus, Carlisle, than I ever did of Retford which has been on the go for much longer.

Buckingham is beautifully observed and maybe the careworn aspects add to the feel of a working railway.

Alan,

The main difference between Retford and Carlisle is that the latter is almost all commissioned work. Commissioned work by a top team of professional modellers.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, t-b-g said:

When I see the two photos of Buckingham and Retford side by side it illustrates a few things.

One is that Buckingham is relatively coarse in some aspects. Certainly when photographed at close quarters. Peter Denny always stated that he based his modelling on being seen from a reasonable viewing distance. Placing a camera at eye level to get a view not normally seen by anybody is always likely to be less than flattering. The other is that everything on view was built by one man without a single kit or RTR vehicle in sight. Even the signal arms are made from metal strip with bent wire wire for the spectacle.

Looking at the shot of Retford I see a number of RTR vehicles and the work of maybe 8 or 9 modellers, myself included. None of this was "horse trading" or commission work. Just friends helping a pal and not expecting anything but friendship, banter and lots of tea and biscuits in return. 

The vast majority of people cannot count on a big team of people willing to give up their time and effort to help complete the dream project that is not even theirs.

For any mere mortals (Roy turned out to be mortal but was never "mere"), a layout like Retford is totally unreachable and unattainable.

Something of the scope of Buckingham, on the other hand, could be built in a realistic timescale by a single modeller.

Cardboard and brickpaper it may be but if I could get character and atmosphere like these shots, I would be delighted.

FSCN1032.JPG.25fd068c04a25ed2701f8ce7f232243a.JPGFSCN1027.JPG.19f55b19303caa2302834e4e6e253450.JPG 

Wonderful images, Tony,

Thanks for posting..............

'Atmosphere' in spades!

2058213369_Buckingham27.jpg.adf2b7be61914aa11f01c44819141cd1.jpg

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

2 hours ago, Corbs said:

All the best

Corwin

The best post in ages. The odd wishy washy bit but generally first class research and interpretation versus the same old repeated myths, the P2 stuff is spot on!

Not being a proper railway modeler, I can't think of any layouts that inspire me, it would be a real location, though individual modeling efforts do so. However, the real railway and proper research of it, is the best inspiration you could ever ask for.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

I reckon the Borchester manifestations have been as influential as any other layouts in the last half-century and more - Borchester(s) in OO and Peter Denny's Buckingham in EM, though nobody promoted EM to a greater degree than Roy Jackson in my view. Tony Miles' Adavoyle in P4? Chris Pendlenton? Certainly Andy Calvert's work in N Gauge has been influential, and look no further than Copenhagen Fields in 2mm Finescale for a real 'buzz', though John Greenwood's work should be better known. John Birkett-Smith's work in N Gauge is also worthy of note. 

O Gauge? Ken Payne and David Jenkinson? Plus, several more. 

Scale Seven? Bob Essery's Dewsbury? 

I personally found John Sutton's Southwell Central in 3mm very inspirational. I'm not sure if it's still in existence but anyone living in or around Nottingham in the late 50's early 60's will be reminded of several well known locos that seemed at the time as though they'd be around forever. John scratch built many of these old favourites to run on his very evocative layout depicting a supposed joint Midland/GC Southwell Central which exuded atmosphere of the depicted period and railway.

But all these remarkable modellers including a few who appear on this thread, have paved an easier path forward for us lower mortals and anything half acceptable that I achieve I am only too aware is because I've stood on the shoulders of these giants.  A most interesting discussion...

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

Wonderful images, Tony,

Thanks for posting..............

'Atmosphere' in spades!

2058213369_Buckingham27.jpg.adf2b7be61914aa11f01c44819141cd1.jpg

Regards,

Tony. 

Lovely shot! 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Anglian said:

Martin Welch's Hursley demonstrated the hi-fidelity photogenic possibilities for O gauge – one of the few layouts that has made me look twice when viewing black and white images.

For me, Hursley looked wonderful in those black-and-white photos. In reality, not so much.

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Northmoor said:

If inspiring means encouraging others to (attempt to) replicate their ideas, then in terms of "modern image" and small layouts, Ian Futers' work must be considered influential.  While I sometimes think he keeps remaking the same model (although he has changed from P4 to 7mm scale), he has made many entirely believable small layouts on the minimum-number-of-turnouts principle.  His P4 "Lochside" was one of the first diesel era layouts (set in the present day) that I remember seemed both achievable and realistically detailed.  There were any number of "copies" in the magazines for years afterwards, only some of which credited Ian's work.

Closer to RMWeb, may I suggest our own Clive Mortimore's "Hanging Hill"?  This dates from over 20 years ago and for many years afterwards, diesel layouts in the magazines were - and still are to a degree - dominated by small diesel depots.   Sadly very few have demonstrated the level of research into realistic depot design and operation that Hanging Hill did, while I don't remember the same repetition of layout design in diesel era layouts before.

Thank you very much. The main inspiration for my depot layouts is/was the big railway. I don't think anyone can disagree with the big railway being an inspiration.

There has been quite a lot of discussion about which layouts have influenced the folk on here. I am slightly younger than many, I do recall steam on the big railway but I was very young and never trainspotted steam locos. The layouts that have been mentioned didn't influence my modelling, not that they were in anyway bad layouts but they were from an era I didn't know. Mike Cole's Sundown and Sprawling grabbed my attention, here was a layout with locomotives I recognised, not from books but from the lineside, diesels, and they were scratchbuilt. Something no one else appeared to be doing in the late 60s and early 70s.

Another layout I connected with was Derek Shore's Avondale, Waterfoot and Creswell. I think it is fair to say by today's standards it was a little crude but what appealed to me was how Derek had devised his operation. I still have a copy of the November 1970 RM when Avondale was "Railway of the Month", it also contained one of Mike Cole's articles on his lovely scratchbuilt locos.

I think most the influential layouts that have been mentioned where not inspired by other modellers work but by what is called the national rail network.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

5 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

For me, Hursley looked wonderful in those black-and-white photos. In reality, not so much.

You're dead right, John,

I never got to see it. Having queued all the way around Central Hall for over an hour to get into the MRJ Show, I wasn't prepared to queue inside for a further half an hour (at least) to see Hursley!

Interestingly, some of the other influential modellers recently mentioned in these pages were also present at that show. Was it the 'finest' model railway show ever staged?

Regards,

Tony. 

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1