Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

2 hours ago, Brinkly said:

The school boy is a nice touch on the platform Tony. 

Another gift from a friend,

Someone said it could be a representation of me, but in the late summer of 1958 I was nearly 12 years old, and he looks more like a junior school pupil. Still, I was still in short trousers then, so it's possible. 

Regards,

Tony. 

1 hour ago, Bucoops said:

The first brake van also has lamp(s)?

Also correct!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Headstock said:

Clem,

yes, Comet sides. I usually take out the whole side, leaving a strip below the cornice and at the ends. From experience, the more material you leave that you have to glue too, the more likely the it is to dry out and the sides come adrift at some time in the future. I use Evostick, then reinforced with the liquid type of superglue and add anchor strips between the roof and sides, a real belt and braces job. There is also far less material to then remove to get the correct width across the carriage and produce the right tumblehome. The downsides of many brass sided carriages is the width and tumbehome usually get junked in the process.

With regard to faded colour, BR crimson usually goes pinkish, I'm not certain how that works with a gloss finish though. The two things would seem to be opposites. With teak carriages, the first thing to go was the sheen of the varnish, as it lost its shine, the teak lost its tonal variation and it would darken with age to something like chocolate, re-varnishing would darken it still.

BR crimson is just edging my time period, so I'm not an expert, though I have certain expectations of what it should look like. I trust Coachman, he always gets it right. It saves an awful lot of time, a lot of hot air and many a lengthy RM web thread. Once some sort of datum is established, it is certainly worth experimenting with different colours and finishes within a rake for a more authentic look. For my own personal modelling, crimson would be brand new, so the contrast is against big four liveries, though some fun could be had with the likes of the Thompson BZ seen up thread.

RE weathering on carriages. All airbrush but with the caveat that I was taught how to paint with an airbrush rather than spray paint out of an airbrush. Dry brushing I use very sparingly, I would find it too time consuming for general use anyway. Most of my  brush weathering is done wet on wet or wash on dry.

Thanks for taking the time to expand Andrew. Really sound detailed explanation. It's priceless to those of us who wish to get better at this lark.  Regarding the shade of crimson, for my layout set 1954/5 there would have been ample time for the crimson to fade somewhat. But I intend to vary it a little anyway - there was always carriages that had just gone through works and in any case,  I want to try the Rail Match crimson too.

On ‎15‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 18:29, Tony Wright said:

Yes,

Very exciting, and wonderful that England are cricket world champions. New Zealand deserve great respect as well for how they fought. 

However, though I'm a great cricket fan, discussion on what to do with regard to finishing the girder bridge took precedence. We did, however, look at the game from time to time......................

Regards,

Tony. 

Hi Tony -as a RMweb fan and cricket fan from New Zealand I watched the whole match through the night; what a game.

No modelling was undertaken during that period, or the next day due to sleep deprivation! My (kiwi) perspective is that neither team won the game or the superover, so we are 'co champions' (...but sadly no trophy...!) Thats sport as they say. 

I love your thread Tony which just zooms along, and always enjoy the regular catch up of the posts. Thanks for the inspiration (of modelling) but very sad for the cricket outcome.

regards Andy R (NZ).

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 hours ago, Andy R said:

Hi Tony -as a RMweb fan and cricket fan from New Zealand I watched the whole match through the night; what a game.

No modelling was undertaken during that period, or the next day due to sleep deprivation! My (kiwi) perspective is that neither team won the game or the superover, so we are 'co champions' (...but sadly no trophy...!) Thats sport as they say. 

I love your thread Tony which just zooms along, and always enjoy the regular catch up of the posts. Thanks for the inspiration (of modelling) but very sad for the cricket outcome.

regards Andy R (NZ).

Hi

I fully agree that world cup cricket match showed us just how great sport can be, if ever there was a case where a final of a major sporting event should be shared that in my opinion was it.

It was a stunning match.

Regards

David

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, BlackRat said:

If you want any Klear.......ask any ex Marine.

My bottle is 30 years plus......and still going strong.

A little goes a verrryyyyyy long way!

So who use to bull his DMS with Klear?

• Informative/Useful 1

14 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

So who use to bull his DMS with Klear?

Ahh, those TLAs we're all so happy to use. Don't you mean BBBs (bovver boy boots)? And these are DMSs (in N/2mm) including a white top B20 variant, that I've bashed:

100_1320.JPG.0cc4a22eb3dce7ebc203bccaf6e50403.JPG

Hopefully that keeps us on modelling track.

G

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

DMS in the army was Boots, Durable Moulded Soles. I am sure the Royal Marines said DMS meant "Dem's Mi Shoes".

Quite a few of the guys would bull their boots with Klear but a good Sergeant Major would normally spot them at 200 yards.

On one regimental parade in full Number Twos (our posh kit) the REME Light Aid Detachment was the last to be inspected. The colonel, the 2IC, HQ Battery Commander, EME (Electrical and Mechanical Engineer, our workshop commander), the Battery Sergeant major, the AQMS (the workshop's own Sergeant-Major) had all gone past. The last two were the Adjutant and the Regimental Sergeant Major, the Adjutant pointed at the boots of the chap next to me, our recovery mechanic. The RSM looked down, and then asked "Where are your best boots?" to which the chap said in a very proud voice "I have no favorites, Sir". 

Things then happened really fast, and all I can clearly remember was as me and my mate were marching him to the guard room, the RSM shouting "Take his cap and belt off".

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 5

4 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

DMS in the army was Boots, Durable Moulded Soles. I am sure the Royal Marines said DMS meant "Dem's Mi Shoes".

Quite a few of the guys would bull their boots with Klear but a good Sergeant Major would normally spot them at 200 yards.

On one regimental parade in full Number Twos (our posh kit) the REME Light Aid Detachment was the last to be inspected. The colonel, the 2IC, HQ Battery Commander, EME (Electrical and Mechanical Engineer, our workshop commander), the Battery Sergeant major, the AQMS (the workshop's own Sergeant-Major) had all gone past. The last two were the Adjutant and the Regimental Sergeant Major, the Adjutant pointed at the boots of the chap next to me, our recovery mechanic. The RSM looked down, and then asked "Where are your best boots?" to which the chap said in a very proud voice "I have no favorites, Sir". 

Things then happened really fast, and all I can clearly remember was as me and my mate were marching him to the guard room, the RSM shouting "Take his cap and belt off".

Excellent, Clive. I must admit I thought DMS meant Doc Martins.

I was taught to 'bull up' by mum's brother, who had been in the Welsh Guards; his technique involved a hot dessert spoon, and some lint-free rag. I cheat, I'm afraid, and heat the polish instead.

10 hours ago, ecgtheow said:

But also no bars across the access where the milk churns are.

Quite correct, William,

But the churns carry 'water'.

There are so many little details needed to complete a layout, and (I know this sounds like a cop-out) safety bars on the 'vans are not high on the list of priorities. Especially when studying prototype photographs where on many occasions they're just hanging loose, probably contrary to the rules.

Regards,

Tony.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

In the civvy boot world DMs were Dr Martens. And, along with Airwares and Toetecs, were favoured by bovver boys/skinheads. 

But back to buses, and little N/2mm ones, I did try to bash one of the Leyland Fleetlines in to a Leyland Titan. A tricky proposition and one I never finished - it just wasn't convincing enough - and ended up looking like this:

T1.jpg.8e19835e2fd92a5fa26e4ed5fa91adfe.jpg

when it should've looked like this:

100_1432.JPG.d1de41004059b71e7ccc2932f0550811.JPG

G

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, Andy R said:

regards Andy R (NZ).

Thanks Andy,

I'm entirely sympathetic with you regarding the Cricket World Cup's result. Coming to its climax, I said to my wife - the trophy should be shared. Why not? As you say, there were no winners and (certainly) no losers. It could be argued that, having not been dismissed in their 50 overs, the Kiwis should have won, because England was all out.  

Regarding 'my' thread, I don't see it as my 'property' at all. Its merit (if that's the right word) is in its diversity, with so many folk commenting and, most importantly, posting examples of their work - some of which is representative of the highest standards in modelling in my view.

Yes, I accept (because of me?) it can be 'argumentative' and even controversial, but the amount of knowledge which is imparted through it is astonishing. So, thanks to all for making it so.

Regarding being 'argumentative', someone has recently stated on here that Halford's primer is rubbish (or words to that effect). 

I assume it's the acrylic car aerosol which is being described as such (the rattle can)? 

My view is opposite to that. I've found it really good, producing quite-acceptable results (at least to me). I painted the following three examples of models I've built using it, employing a top coat of the same firm's Ford Burgundy Red - straight from the tin. 

890102827_MGNRRU22.jpg.704b1530f2cc49d6fc3872483168c24f.jpg

926266063_Rollingstock18.jpg.d363adc275049c7d88a41a01632104d5.jpg

749413615_Trains08CometTriplet.jpg.0eb28a6f44b13e3cf7e3aec55d8232c4.jpg

If these are the results of using 'rubbish', then I'm giving up!

For those who prefer a finer spray-pattern, Geoff Haynes decanted the primer and the top coat into his airbrush, using a proportion of acrylic thinners. 

954414591_1938Scotsmantriplet.jpg.a0b392b52f8b3c18c7c0db71d3b89d80.jpg

With this result.....................

I'm not claiming anything other than the carriages above are perfectly acceptable as 'layout' coaches (at least to me), and certainly not painted with rubbish! I accept they're certainly not to the same standard as the models built by the guy who made the claim (very few are), but I think it's wrong to dissuade others (by opinion) from using  what, to me, is a perfectly-acceptable product. 

I'm sure others on here have achieved equally-satisfactory results using Halfords paints. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 10
  • Agree 5

Maybe the rules of World Cup Cricket fail to give credit to a side "not all out" at the end of their overs because, for good or bad reasons, emphasis is now placed on the idea that everything including the kitchen sink should be thrown into the effort to get the maximum number of runs, implying that those with wickets to spare may not have made every possible effort?

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi Tony,

I have to confess, I have tried using Halfords primer and Ford Burgundy Red on a Bachmann MK1 coach and didn't get on that well: I will certainly stick to airbrushing in the future.

image1.jpeg.50e35fe93db9ea183ceb6ba07d3751ad.jpeg.4f6373e29e5c0bd1668faea6e1ac4572.jpeg

First go, clearly with 'orange peel'.

image1.jpeg.7ff822e5f9ff6a78c4de3a13c54af745.jpeg.840620987d6c5fb1683c94f2a1a64f03.jpeg

Second attempt: two coats of primer and one of Burgundy, but already something not quite right.

EF8B3B1B-CA3A-4B6B-828C-99E2198AA55D.jpeg.60fbda9ad9139a42ec3b17e3914e2f15.jpeg.930cc42816be44a3b5b1311d468fee00.jpeg

Three coats of Burgundy and a less than smooth finish!

I have to confess that I have found Halford's primers a little gritty in comparison with say Games Workshop Primers. When one runs ones finger along the model, you can feel a smoother finish with the Games Workshop products. I believe (according to my younger brother who works in the industry) that the car primers have a small amount of filler in them, hence the grittier finish. 

I will strip this coach and start again; however, the paint will go on through an airbrush. 

Regards,

Nick

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

I know quite a few people who will condemn something as useless when what they should be saying is that they don't like it or have success with it

Refusing to accept that they might have done something wrong, they blame the product they use.

It is a confusion of fact and opinion.

"I tried Halfords primer and couldn't get on with it" and "Halfords primer is rubbish" are good examples.

On a recent trip to Halfords I obtained a primer I hadn't seen there before, a single rattle can etching grey primer. I have only tested it on a bit of brass but it does seem very smooth and sticks better than he conventional type.

I have many a loco and carriage painted with Halfords car paints and have never had a problem apart from when the colour in the can is nothing like the colour on the lid! That happened when I chose a green to match a colour illustration. The lid was a perfect match, the contents were nowhere near.

Like all modelling, there is a degree of learning a technique. How far away to hold the can, how quickly to pass over the object being painted, how hard to press the nozzle, what angle to hold the can at relative to the object, those sorts of things.. I am getting better at it now and usually get it right. Ken Hill has a magic touch and gets perfect results every time.

Edited by t-b-g
  • Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

I know quite a few people who will condemn something as useless when what they should be saying is that they don't like it or have success with it

Refusing to accept that they might have done something wrong, they blame the product they use.

It is a confusion of fact and opinion.

"I tried Halfords primer and couldn't get on with it" and "Halfords primer is rubbish" are good examples.

I hope my comment above didn't read like that. I was just passing on my experience of the product. I also started a thread acknowledging that I had gone wrong! 

Kind regards,

Nick.

• Friendly/supportive 1

13 minutes ago, Brinkly said:

I hope my comment above didn't read like that. I was just passing on my experience of the product. I also started a thread acknowledging that I had gone wrong! 

Kind regards,

Nick.

Not at all, Nick,

Not at all....................

Regards,

Tony. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Not at all, Nick,

Not at all....................

Regards,

Tony. 

It's all a learning curve as my late grandfather said to me when I built my first wagon kit aged 7! 

I do feel it is very important that we all try new skills and techniques. I imagine, if I had a 'proper' area dedicated to paint - oh how I envy Ian Rathbone - the end result might have been better. I suspect that the second time, I held the can a little too far away, resulting in semi-dry paint as it hit the model. Lots of learning!

Regards,

Nick.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

There are a lot of versions of the DMS acronym, I’m most familiar with its use post-nominally for a Diploma in Management Studies.  I’ve also seen it used for Document Management System in computing.    

My offspring seem to like the phrase ‘slide into your DMs’, something to do with direct messaging on social media, I believe.

• Informative/Useful 1