Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

20 minutes ago, Brinkly said:

@Tony Wright

1142232978_Rollingstock16.jpg.3c4c514bd4aa79d72cc25593e44be635.jpg.aee26d6df6e7daeab587a5f94204bc05.jpg

Where did you get that handy device from Tony? 

Kind regards,

Nick.

It came from the toolbox of a deceased friend, Nick.

It looks very much home-made, and I don't know of any manufacturer who makes such a spring device. 

Does anyone know?

Regards,

Tony. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

It looks very much home-made, and I don't know of any manufacturer who makes such a spring device. 

Does anyone know?

Regards,

Tony. 

Never tried it (and too expensive for me - I'll probably make something one day) but there is this - 

https://www.vgibson.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=62&products_id=183&zenid=9kro6ltuiej7ad7901ivmga0q1

• Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

17 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

A bit of gaffer tape, fixes everything.

I have one of those devices, purchased I think at Ally Pally a few years ago. I have a suspicion it was from the Precision Paints stand but unable to check at the moment if they sell them. I know they were available in at least 2 sizes though, and have seen plenty on sale at shows.

Stewart

Edit to add: ignore Clive's quote above, IO was referring to the paintin handle in Mo's hand! Don't know why that appeared...

Edited by stewartingram
typo
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, stewartingram said:

I have one of those devices, purchased I think at Ally Pally a few years ago. I have a suspicion it was from the Precision Paints stand but unable to check at the moment if they sell them. I know they were available in at least 2 sizes though, and have seen plenty on sale at shows.

Stewart

Edit to add: ignore Clive's quote above, IO was referring to the paintin handle in Mo's hand! Don't know why that appeared...

Some similar-looking items listed at the bottom of this page:

https://www.phoenix-paints.co.uk/products/sundries

• Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, Bucoops said:

Never tried it (and too expensive for me - I'll probably make something one day) but there is this - 

https://www.vgibson.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=62&products_id=183&zenid=9kro6ltuiej7ad7901ivmga0q1

I generally use a piece of scrap wood, the 'business end' of which is wrapped with a small piece of bubble wrap held on with masking tape. This gives a firm enough pressure to hold coach or diesel loco bodies.

By the way, Halfords rattle cans for me. I find them very forgiving but perhaps it was all that practice years ago when spraying my old bangers!

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

56 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Does anyone know?

Regards,

Tony. 

Tony,

it was a commercially made product as I have one myself purchased many years ago and the Old memory cells forbid me telling the retailer I purchased it from.

Kind Regards,Derek.

• Friendly/supportive 2

For those not wishing to track down, spend money on, and find storage space for, as many one-job-specific tools as they can possibly buy, the card tube from the middle of a kitchen roll, or for that matter a loo roll, pushed inside the body of a model will make a fully usable and totally dispensable painting handle. The short ones from loo rolls are okay if you are neat with your spray pattern, or wear a glove on the supporting hand, or jam one short tube inside another to extend the handle......

This economical idea came to me from a man born in England's largest county, oddly enough.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 2

2 hours ago, gr.king said:

For those not wishing to track down, spend money on, and find storage space for, as many one-job-specific tools as they can possibly buy, the card tube from the middle of a kitchen roll, or for that matter a loo roll, pushed inside the body of a model will make a fully usable and totally dispensable painting handle. The short ones from loo rolls are okay if you are neat with your spray pattern, or wear a glove on the supporting hand, or jam one short tube inside another to extend the handle......

This economical idea came to me from a man born in England's largest county, oddly enough.

Sorry for messing up previous  attempt - I am still getting used to the new format - I just wanted to add that as well as utilising toilet 

roll inners in a similar way when using aerosols, they make useful end "spacers" when packing stock in the well known storage boxes which

many of those carting stock to and fro at exhibitions employ. The longer kitchen roll ones are particularly handy, the "give"in these items

providing a shock absorbing function. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 17/07/2019 at 08:01, Clive Mortimore said:

So who use to bull his DMS with Klear?

Never in the Guards (we had two pairs of Ammo boots as 'best anyway). When you're dealing with individuals who can not only spot a bit of microscopic fluff, but determine whether its state was idle or active ('idle' lost you your name), imagine what they'd have inferred from a whole toecap!:scared:

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

15 hours ago, 31A said:

There's been some talk of painting with aerosols, and BR red / cream coach livery.  Here are a couple of Gresley Third Opens I've been working on for a friend.  They are made from Comet sides grafted onto Hornby coach bodies.  I took these photos outside today (cloudy weather) in the hope that the pictures would give a good representation of the colours.  The first has not been weathered, and the second has which also shows how the weathering darkens the colours.

P1020999.jpg.90988715d50f0f2503cf67940eb9e6b4.jpg

P1020998.jpg.467bbb73d14033370af97486fcbf725a.jpg

These are beautiful, Steve,

So natural. They show what can be made from Hornby donors.

If nothing else they debunk the myth that rattle cans are 'rubbish'. 

I assume they're for PN? 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

These are beautiful, Steve,

So natural. They show what can be made from Hornby donors.

If nothing else they debunk the myth that rattle cans are 'rubbish'. 

I assume they're for PN? 

Regards,

Tony. 

Thank you, Tony!  I was quite pleased with them.

Yes, they are for PN.

I think this is a good way forward with improving these Hornby coaches, and am minded to do a couple for my own layout at some stage.  Your BRM Annual article was very useful!  The camera can be cruel, and please don't look too closely at the number transfers.  They look perfectly alright to (my) naked eye!  Having run out of "E" letters on my Methfix sheet (which I generally prefer), I cut up Modelmasters waterslide transfers intended for BR Mk 1s, to arrive at correct numbers for these coaches.

40 minutes ago, gr.king said:

I hear there was a little blue visitor to LB yesterday too.

There was, Graeme,

The little blue bl**der called Thomas was sneaked on when I had to answer a phone call. His picture was taken (not by me!), and it could well appear on Wright Writes. 

Guess what? He carried express lamps, and Annie had a tail lamp!!!!

Unfortunately (fortunately?), because his wheels were too fat, he was unable to ponce through Little Bytham as he had done on Grantham, but yes, he was there! 

• Like 1
  • Funny 9

2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Dave Jobling, brought some models he'd made with him.

698617773_DaveJobling01.jpg.1ce6f7b80d3135af4e9f0082bcc4e495.jpg

This is an ex Triang/Hornby 'Weltrol' which he's lengthened and detailed, which awaits completion.

Tony,

If possible, it would be very helpful to know the provenance of the (3D-printed?) trestles mounted on the 'WELTROL' (actually TRESTROL), and if they available to purchase anywhere.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Agree 2

15 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

Tony,

If possible, it would be very helpful to know the provenance of the (3D-printed?) trestles mounted on the 'WELTROL' (actually TRESTROL), and if they available to purchase anywhere.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

John,

Dave is making these out of plastic sections, so they are one-offs. 

John Smart

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

Tony,

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Thanks John,

Since corrected.

Regards,

Tony. 

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, John Smart said:

John,

Dave is making these out of plastic sections, so they are one-offs. 

John Smart

Is that what they call scratch building? I wonder if it will catch on in this age of laser cutting, 3D printing etc.

Seriously, it is nice to know that some of that sort of modelling is still going on. The bogie stores van is a particular favourite of mine and that is a lovely model.

Vehicles like that always look like the offspring of an illicit relationship between a carriage and a box van,  who met in a siding somewhere in Darlington or Shildon.

• Like 4
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

It was the usual format of arrive, tea/coffee/chat, play trains, pub lunch (excellent!), tea/coffee/chat, play trains, tea/coffee/biscuits/chat, farewells. What better way to spend a day?

One day I hope I'll be able to buy you and Mo that pub lunch...

• Like 1