Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Premium
54 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Anyone know where this is, please?

122775162_8F8190.jpg.f6cc88c0e31baf26aed6304edc337d9f.jpg

Thanks in anticipation, and thanks to those who identified Skipton. 

Not sure of the location but I think that the hopper is so distinctive I can narrow the area down.  As far as I know it's one of the ICIhoppers for limestone traffic from Peak Forest (or therabouts) to the big ICI works at Widnes.  They lasted till quite recently.

As to trainspotting, my father ensured that I was well indoctrinated at avery early age as my pram was wheeled alongside the WCML by Carlisle Castle. I spotted steam till the very end as the 15 guinea special ran within sight of our house, though I was at Blea Moor and Mallerstang.  I was, aged 15, broken hearted. Not only did Julia Fawcett fancy someone else but steam had finished.  However  2 years later while travelling by train to University interviews I got bored and started spotting again. I've never stopped and have seen and photographed trains on 4 continents and got great pleasure from the hobby.  At times of stress in my life I have always found peace, standing by railway lines watching trains of any type.  This can be watching an HST storming through Doncaster on the centre roads or a huge freight dropping off Sherman Hill into Cheyenne.  After all, I once said in a talk, how much closer to heaven can you get than watching a maroon Duchess pull away from Wakefield Kirkgate whilst England were thrashing Australia in the Ashes.

Jamie

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

5 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

A three-rail electric unit came in from the Wirral (third rail in Chester!). It stopped, waited a bit, then departed, to be replaced by another, identical one. My mind's eye went back to 60+ years ago, when such a service would have been hauled by 2-6-4Ts of Fowler, Stanier, Fairburn or BR Standard origins. Or a 'Crab' or Stanier 2-6-0. Or even an ex-GWR 2-6-2T. Or other steam types. Instead of terminating at Chester, that service would have reversed and been taken out towards Salop behind any variety of ex-GWR 4-6-0s (excepting a 'King'). At the adjacent platform, a 'Jub', 'Pat', Scot' or even a Semi would be waiting on a service to the N. Wales Coast, just as a 'Mickey' appeared on a Llandudno-Manchester express (complete with club car). At the other end of the station, perhaps a Standard 4-6-0 would be on a service to Whitchurch.

I wonder, standing at the end of Platform 4 (even on a cold, dank, winter's day), would I have shown an interest in a computer/phone/Ipad, compare to what I've just described? I wonder? 

Yes, there is a lot less variety in train types today, but probably a greater intensity of service now. But even for that (more types and more services) I wouldn't have wanted to stand on the end of a cold, dank platform, even 60 years ago. I can understand youngsters not wanting to do so now (even with more types and more services) especially with so many other activities to get involved with.

And all that inefficient faffing and farting about (that I appreciate many find interesting ) of detaching a loco to send it off for a quick polish and top up of oil, coal and water is just time consuming and boring to me. I want to see the service get underway and the next one arrive. No doubt I'm in a minority!

G

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

..... what a desert! Where once were extensive carriage sidings, there are now pre-fab buildings and shrubs. The Western wing is no more, and there aren't near as many platforms in use. Weeds infest the running rails, the six great signal boxes have long gone and the trackwork has been rationalised beyond belief. 

A three-rail electric unit came in from the Wirral (third rail in Chester!). It stopped, waited a bit, then departed, to be replaced by another, identical one. My mind's eye went back to 60+ years ago, when such a service would have been hauled by 2-6-4Ts of Fowler, Stanier, Fairburn or BR Standard origins. Or a 'Crab' or Stanier 2-6-0. Or even an ex-GWR 2-6-2T. Or other steam types. Instead of terminating at Chester, that service would have reversed and been taken out towards Salop behind any variety of ex-GWR 4-6-0s (excepting a 'King'). At the adjacent platform, a 'Jub', 'Pat', Scot' or even a Semi would be waiting on a service to the N. Wales Coast, just as a 'Mickey' appeared on a Llandudno-Manchester express (complete with club car). At the other end of the station, perhaps a Standard 4-6-0 would be on a service to Whitchurch.

Two things strike me here...

Firstly, perhaps a significant degree of the loss of interest in railways stems from their demise as the common carrier and the changing nature of transport. There is no doubt that with the loss of the goods sheds and all the comings and goings which this entailed, coupled to the massive changes in scale and scope of operation, contemporary railways are definitely less interesting. Add to this increasing automation and the resultant reduction in type and kinds of staff on the system and the identity of the system has fundamentally changed. The railways are just not as important and not as vital to life as they used to be.

Secondly, the 60 year ago scene at Chester as described appears to have involved a staggering variety of motive power ... a situation limited to  a specific window in time .... so perhaps not solely to do with steam as a technology in and of itself. You were certainly fortunate to have been around at such a time.

just some idle musings :rolleyes:

Edited by Lecorbusier
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Is it Adswood in Stockport?

My Ian Allan Locoshed book for Autumn 1962 has 8F (4) 8190 shedded at 9F Heaton Mersey.  So I would agree possibly the Stockport area.  (AM)

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

But why youngsters are not interested in today's railways is probably two-fold. For one, as you suggest, there are all the other 'modern' things to entice them and, two; perhaps they just find today's railways boring. Dead-boring! 

Most of today's children don't know anything of railways, certainly not enough to be bored by them.

More than 35 years ago, when my Dad was still teaching, he would take the boys from Thornton Heath to Kew Gardens once a year by train. For most of them, 10 years old, it was their first experience of train travel. Same for quite a few of their mums.

• Like 2

A question for all the knowledgeable modellers on this thread . Could anyone confirm that " Thompson's pet " , D.3 4-4-0 No. 62000  retained green painted wheels with white lining right up to withdrawal ? I have a London Roads model to build & the photo's I have found are inconclusive so any help would be gratefully received .

Can I also say that we are all interested in railways & modelling & we all have different favourite motive power . eras & railways . None is intrinsically better than any other  & we should all enjoy our own modelling & the quality of others'  modelling , even if it is not our own preferred period .

Thanks ,

Ray . 

2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Anyone know where this is, please?

122775162_8F8190.jpg.f6cc88c0e31baf26aed6304edc337d9f.jpg

Thanks in anticipation, and thanks to those who identified Skipton. 

Another possibility is the Skelton Junction complex - the train is coming off the CLC and going under the line to Partington, heading towards Altrincham and those are the sidings at Skelton in the background.

Edited by woodenhead
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Just now, ecgtheow said:

Sorry for my cock up. The wagons are either ICI or John Summers hoppers & because there don't seem to be any ICI markings on them it makes it more likely that this is a John Summers train of iron hoppers somewhere on the line from Bidston Docks to Connahs Quay possibly near Heswall?

William

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

As a lad my father used to take me to our local station - Upminster. No steam that I recall. But what I recall very vividly was, when living in Exeter (before we moved to London) was going down to the beach at Dawlish Warren. My memory says we parked in a field and walked down to the shore going under the railway, I don't know why or if such a location really exists. But I do recall this gleaming green and copper and brass machine rushing past with it's coaches looking smart, I was hooked.

Later years found me spotting in France, Italy and Switzerland when we were on holiday. That even included trips to Porta Susa station in Turin as well as some yards near my grandparents.

The modern scene can be interesting with new stock being introduced but it can also be boring as an awful lot of passenger traffic looks similar and the traction on freight isn't that varied.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On Sunday 22 June 1969 the route from Wigan to Crewe was via Warrington to Chester where the whole train was backed round one leg of the triangle. 

A new(ish) D406, BR signalbox and LNWR signals at Chester. 

Chester was still interesting just after steam disappeared. (wasn't virtually everywhere ?).

Like Tony I'm not a huge fan of today's bland railway scene.

image.png.20231b089afdc9e6c44784cd0b9247c5.png

Brit15

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Ray Flintoft said:

A question for all the knowledgeable modellers on this thread . Could anyone confirm that " Thompson's pet " , D.3 4-4-0 No. 62000  retained green painted wheels with white lining right up to withdrawal ? I have a London Roads model to build & the photo's I have found are inconclusive so any help would be gratefully received .

Can I also say that we are all interested in railways & modelling & we all have different favourite motive power . eras & railways . None is intrinsically better than any other  & we should all enjoy our own modelling & the quality of others'  modelling , even if it is not our own preferred period .

Thanks ,

Ray . 

Ray, there are a few photos of 62000 in my thread :  

You will have to search either by D3 or 62000 to find them.  When the photos were taken it was painted in green, I'm not sure if they the wheels clearly enough.

You have to search in content, not just titles. - or enjoy browsing.  Hope it is some help.

David

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Denbridge said:

I'm 57 and still vivid memories of my Uncle taking me to see the trains at Surbiton in 1966/7. The sights of what I now know were Bulleid pacifics and BR Standards made a huge impression on this youngster.

I was regularly taken, in my pushchair (mid-1950s) through a little byway called Valley Path that runs alongside the railway in Axminster to visit my grandmother. My head would have been nearly a yard below rail level. Scared? On the contrary, I couldn't get enough of the trains whizzing past in the down direction and pulling hard starting away on the up. Hooked for life!

I still get a nostalgic buzz when I get the chance to go that way now, it's still quite fun even though Class 159s aren't a patch on Bulleids, S15s, etc. The bonus is that the Gas Works at the far end (which really did scare me as a nipper) is long gone.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, APOLLO said:

On Sunday 22 June 1969 the route from Wigan to Crewe was via Warrington to Chester where the whole train was backed round one leg of the triangle. 

A new(ish) D406, BR signalbox and LNWR signals at Chester. 

Chester was still interesting just after steam disappeared. (wasn't virtually everywhere ?).

Like Tony I'm not a huge fan of today's bland railway scene.

image.png.20231b089afdc9e6c44784cd0b9247c5.png

Brit15

Great shot!

The LNWR lower quadrants at Chester were the last of their type. The gantry in view (with some arms already gone) was replaced by a single upper-quadrant home with a route indicator. Behind that signal is Westminster Road Bridge. Westminster Road was where my junior school was located (Westminster Bishopsfield), about three minutes' walk away. At lunchtimes, we were allowed out to trainspot here. 

On one occasion at this location, later in the evening, my brother and I were waiting for the 'twenty to six', ex-Crewe; usually a running-in turn. It started to rain, and we sheltered under the bridge. The train was late, and it had become dark. Our parents, obviously worried, wondered what had happened to us, and my dad investigated, but we were out of sight. The police were called! The running-in turn eventually arrived, behind a real 'cop' - a gleaming Kentish Town (where was that?) 'Jub', 45557 NEW BRUNSWICK. The subsequent hiding was worth it as I eventually underlined her in my 1956 Combined Volume. 

Need I ask the question, do any ten year olds take the numbers of the passing trains on this bridge today? It's actually safer now, because a separate footbridge was built on the station side

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
typo error
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Ray Flintoft said:

Thanks ,

Ray . 

Good to see you and Hazel at Pickering, Ray,

I think your last point is well-made, and thanks for that.

I'll look at what I've got on 62000.

Regards,

Tony. 

• RMweb Premium

There is a lovely photo of 62000 taken in October 1950, approx a year before withdrawal, in Locomotives Illustrated No. 126.

The wheels were clearly green then as you can see the lining and a distinct change of colour between the axle centre and the rest of the wheel on the driving wheels and between the wheel rim and the centre on the bogie wheels.

I can't imagine that the wheels would have been repainted between then and withdrawal but it is not impossible. It last visited the shops for a light repair in January 1950 according to Yeadon.

I have seen a colour photo of the loco in BR days but I can't remember where and I can't lay my hands on ER Steam in Colour or my LNER Livery book, which are likely candidates.

• Thanks 1

On 28/07/2019 at 12:58, Tony Wright said:

I did photograph Aberhafren, Chris,

However it was all on film, so it's in Warner's archive somewhere (although some of my shots did appear in MORILL as well).

I thought it was wonderful, though whether I'd describe it as a Class One main line, I'm not sure. I think 'Castles' were present, but nothing bigger; and nothing with outside valve gear. It did run well, though!

With Steffan's untimely death, the hobby has been robbed one of its greatest modellers in more recent years. 

245308092_Maindee07shedfrontdetail.jpg.e1a0be564d5575433433cc70f977af07.jpg

1295033837_Maindee15viewdownshedyard.jpg.239e2bba24a1e1506c1ce3c711badde1.jpg

I've not seen anything more realistic than his Maindee East (even though it wasn't an actual prototype). It was, however, based on meticulous prototype observation.

Regards,

Tony. 

A few weeks ago, the question was being asked as to what became of the Maindee East layout. Going to auction this Wednesday if anyone's interested.

Screenshot 2019-08-20 at 07.11.32.png

Edited by 5 C
Updated with auction catalogue details.
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 2

Hello Tony (and Mo),

I'm glad you enjoyed your weekend with us through at Pickering and once again it was a pleasure hosting the pair of you. As a member of the 'Durham Street' team i'm pleased to say that the layout behaved itself for almost all of the weekend... and your photographs look fantastic, however they high light a number of little things that need attention ( Not including the number plates or Mallard's tender ;P )...

Alnough we are currently still working through the De-brief and finalising Numbers the show was a success and as a club we thank you for supporting us throughout the weekend.

Regards 

Jamie Dunn

SDRM

Edited by jamie.dunn
corrected grammer
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, jamie.dunn said:

Hello Tony (and Mo),

I'm glad you enjoyed your weekend with us through at Pickering and once again it was a pleasure hosting the pair of you. As a member of the 'Durham Street' team i'm pleased to say that the layout behaved itself for almost all of the weekend... and your photographs look fantastic, however they high light a number of little things that need attention ( Not including the number plates or Mallard's tender ;P )...

Alnough we are currently still working through the De-brief and finalising Numbers the show was a success and as a club we thank you for supporting us throughout the weekend.

Regards 

Jamie Dunn

SDRM

It was our pleasure, Jamie,

It's always a happy show.

A couple more more Durham Street pictures.......................

1578441995_DurhamStreet01.jpg.3e3d672a085961eab13fd991481c235a.jpg

1162183066_DurhamStreet18.jpg.bb873d6c56f09a2a01649f56a83d8984.jpg

Tell Ian he should have the lot by the end of the week.

And, what about Sandy Bay, by Kev and Maggie Smith?

132257308_SandyBay13.jpg.42ac87ae4423c66d8c8a293d3be5cd78.jpg

928615237_SandyBay18.jpg.f42d6c0ebf0612f25129721ef82d619e.jpg

1383919070_SandyBay21B.jpg.531a2565b58b91594f613ae5bb7e2bfa.jpg

1155403870_SandyBay22.jpg.896b3b5bcee1eb7455f3be0ac12ba6a6.jpg

What a little gem, in N Gauge.

Thanks again, Jamie, and please pass our regards on to the rest of the club. 

Best,

Tony. 

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

2 hours ago, t-b-g said:

There is a lovely photo of 62000 taken in October 1950, approx a year before withdrawal, in Locomotives Illustrated No. 126.

The wheels were clearly green .....

I have seen a colour photo of the loco in BR days but I can't remember where and I can't lay my hands on ER Steam in Colour or my LNER Livery book, which are likely candidates.

There is a colour photo dated 1948 in “Big Four in Colour”. It is in full LNER livery. According to the caption, in Jan 1950 it acquired the new number, BR crest and smokebox number plate. It says that the loco remained in LNER green.....but doesn’t mention the wheels.

Jon

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

At times of stress in my life I have always found peace, standing by railway lines watching trains of any type. 

I think many of us will have done the same. Those dismissive members of Joe Public (and more commonly, the members of the "meejah") will never understand this.  Perhaps it's a subconscious return to our youth when we had much less to worry about.

My wife, long before we met, loved the Frank & Walters Band song "Trainspotters", precisely because it it affectionately admires these people, while not understanding them, because they find happiness in something so simple and harmless.

• Like 2