Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

5 hours ago, Chamby said:

And now for something completely different...

I came across a fascinating website recently, www.what3words.com, that through the use of a unique combination of just three words can pinpoint a location globally to within a couple of square metres.  It is remarkably accurate, for example over 20 combinations cover the location of my house, and that’s just the structure, not the plot!

It is now being used by the emergency services to precisely pinpoint a location... they will ask, for example, an injured person out in ‘the middle of nowhere’ to download the app and tell them the three words that relate to their current location.  It strikes me that this system could also be very useful for railway historians, photographers and modellers for sharing locations precisely.

For example, a spot on my local beach, just three minutes walk from my home is butterfly.snores.pirate.   In the photograph below, the locomotive is at coffee.coffee.excuse and the water tower in the background can be found at galaxy.they.common. 

Download the app, or visit the website to find out exactly where they are.

7EB32FE7-83E1-40CE-B520-93E63B068FB1.jpeg.70739d1d492f90ca26ad7c745bf0e0a9.jpeg

I wonder how quickly it will catch on? 

I wonder if the that question is asked of me, Phil?

If so, the answer's a most-emphatic never!

As an example of my all-embracing lack of understanding of new technologies (which I rejoice in), this morning I posted a model and sent it 'guaranteed delivery'. 'You can track it following this number' said the most-helpful assistant. 'By phone'. I looked blank. 'By computer'. Again, I looked blank. 'Who are you with?' 'My wife'. End of conversation!

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
typo error
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 8
  • Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, PMP said:

I imagine London Road Models would be a good bet to find an appropriate backhead, perhaps @Jol Wilkinson might be able to confirm next time he drops in?

Nothing in the LRM range but Brassmasters did Experiment/POW etched kits and may be able to supply. The LRM LNWR loco kits are all for locos with smaller boilers.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I might possibly have an old Dean Goods backhead or similiar that could be pressed into service. As I said, I don't want to do too much to the loco

but I'm happy to add one or two details if it can be done sensitively.

Interesting bit of soldering on tonight's "Repair Shop" (BBC2) - or at least the one my wife and I recorded and watched today. The problem was to

repair some defects in a small metal box made of antimony. Rather than use an iron, the man doing the repairs applied a fillet of cold 70 degree

solder, then a temperature probe, and then used a hot air blower to gradually increase the temperature until just above the solder's melting point.

Al

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, TrevorP1 said:

It might be useful to find friends at shows or other functions etc. but then many of my friends often have their phone stuffed somewhere where it can't be heard - that's if it's turned on at all! :rolleyes:

That's like my Father and mobile phones.

1. Has he remembered to bring it with him today?

2. Has he remembered to switch it on?

3. Has he remembered to charge it beforehand?

The odds of all three questions being answered "Yes", are like winning Euromillions.

Are you coming to the Woking show this weekend, Tony?  Oh and "Guaranteed Delivery" seems like a redundant claim by a postal service.  I would expect the item to be delivered; are they saying that unless you pay for a premium service, they might choose not to bother?

Edited by Northmoor
Extra comment
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, CF MRC said:

They are both Walschaerts of course Tony, but the P2 has the lifting link in front of the motion support bracket, behind the radius rod, whereas the 9F has it to the rear of the motion support bracket (similar to an A3).  It wouldn’t be too difficult to make it work on a 2mm A4, but not worth it in pre-war condition...

I think it was John Noble who made an S gauge engine with reversing valve gear. 

Tim

Thank you Tim.  John Nobel's name comes back  me now - I wonder what happened to the model?

Gerry

6 hours ago, Nick Mitchell said:

This evening I've made a little film showing off my 9F shuffling a few engineers wagons on a small shunting layout called Clive Road Sidings, while doing it's party trick with the reversing gear.

The loco is built from the Bob Jones (Fence Houses Model Foundry) kit, with a few little additions of my own. The layout was built many years ago by Mark Fielder, and is now my test track. The wagons (which were also on the competition table at STEAM) are all built from Stephen Harris etched kits.

Thanks Nick,

I hope others can see the incredible craftsmanship which went into your model. 

I'm also delighted you were able to put the drive back in place after I clumsily caused it to come out of the firebox door, and 'killed' the driver in the process! I assume he's back where he should be, but it wasn't me who cut off half of his ar$e and one leg. 

As for the running? I've seen many models (too many), in larger scales, both RTR and kit-built, which don't run anything like as smoothly or evenly as your 9F. Yet, even with this excellence, it was a damn close-run thing between your 9F and the other one (the builder's name escapes me) as to which one won. The one you built is weathered, and it's that reversible gear which clinched it! There was nothing else between them. 

I have to say, it reveals a lot about the standards in 2mm, that to win a competition for loco building, one has to make the Walschaerts valve gear reversible in order to take the pot! 

It's also a good job you didn't write this on your entry form.... Otherwise I might have been prejudiced...............'showing off my 9F shuffling a few engineers wagons on a small shunting layout called Clive Road Sidings, while doing it's party trick with the reversing gear'. The possessive form of engineers should have an apostrophe 's' and the possessive form of its does not have an apostrophe! 

See me!

Anyway, I've been asked to do a report on the 2mm FS competitions for BRM. It would be nice to use your 9F footage on the digital version, if that's all right? I state again, the overall standard of modelling, in every category, was simply outstanding. I've never been given a more difficult task to judge. You are all to be congratulated!

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
to clarify a point
  • Like 8
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Thanks Nick,

I hope others can see the incredible craftsmanship which went into your model. 

I'm also delighted you were able to put the drive back in place after I clumsily caused it to come out of the firebox door, and 'killed' the driver in the process! I assume he's back where he should be, but it wasn't me who cut off half of his ar$e and one leg. 

As for the running? I've seen many models (too many), in larger scales, both RTR and kit-built, which don't run anything like as smoothly or evenly as your 9F. Yet, even with this excellence, it was a damn close-run thing between your 9F and the other one (the builder's name escapes me) as to which one won. The one you built is weathered, and it's that reversible gear which clinched it! There was nothing else between them. 

I have to say, it reveals a lot about the standards in 2mm, that to win a competition for loco building, one has to make the Walschaerts valve gear reversible in order to take the pot! 

It's also a good job you didn't write this on your entry form.... Otherwise I might have been prejudiced...............'showing off my 9F shuffling a few engineers wagons on a small shunting layout called Clive Road Sidings, while doing it's party trick with the reversing gear'. The possessive form of engineers should have an apostrophe 's' and the possessive form of its does not have an apostrophe! 

See me!

Anyway, I've been asked to do a report on the 2mm FS competitions for BRM. It would be nice to use your 9F footage on the digital version, if that's all right? I state again, the overall standard of modelling, in every category, was simply outstanding. I've never been given a more difficult task to judge. You are all to be congratulated!

Regards,

Tony. 

I apologise profusely for my solecism Tony - the only hint of an excuse I can offer is the lateness of the hour. My OP has now been corrected!

The little chap who was driving 92008 on Saturday is still in hospital, but is making good progress and should return to footplate duties soon. His wife tells me he lost his left leg and buttock some time ago whilst trying to stand up in a hammock during a storm...

Yes, you are welcome to use my video for BRM.

The other 9F was built by Keith Gloster (whose parcel vans won the Dreadnought Tropy). I didn't envy your task of having to choose between any of the locos on the competition table.

Regards,

Nick.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Nick Mitchell said:

This evening I've made a little film showing off my 9F shuffling a few engineers' wagons on a small shunting layout called Clive Road Sidings, while doing its party trick with the reversing gear.

The loco is built from the Bob Jones (Fence Houses Model Foundry) kit, with a few little additions of my own. The layout was built many years ago by Mark Fielder, and is now my test track. The wagons (which were also on the competition table at STEAM) are all built from Stephen Harris etched kits.

I was going to click 'like', but that's not strong enough.

That is simply wonderfully excellent, not only the valve gear but the smooth slow running too.

I had to add a PS - as I was just considering the actual size of all that neat pipework. You have a trained flea with a microscopic soldering iron?

Edited by johnarcher
Insufficient admiration
  • Like 3
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Nick Mitchell said:

No fleas were harmed in the production of the injector pipework!

My soldering iron is an Antex TC-660. For most 2mm work I use a 1mm chisel tip.

The secret to soldering this small stuff neatly is to find a way of holding the parts firmly, and controlling the amount of solder you put on. I take thin salami slices off the end of a reel of electrical solder with my scalpel, but several of my friends are now using solder balls to achieve the same end. The bodies of the injectors etc. are brass (turned and filed to shape), and I drilled little holes in them to locate the copper "pipes" so they didn't move while soldering took place.

The aspect I found most difficult was soldering all the little flanges so they remained perpendicular to the pipes.

Here are a few of pictures of various bits of pipework "in the raw" so you can see how much solder there is(n't).

Live steam injector:

IMG_8136.JPG

Exhaust steam injector:

IMG_8139.JPG

Injectors installed on the loco with the beginnings of the water feed valves, and the steam valves on the side of the firebox:

pipework 1.jpg

Round the other side is the vacuum ejector, ATC valve and boiler feed/clack valve:

clack valve.jpg

Further back are the ejector control valves (the outline for the body of which was etched, and is the only "cheat" in the pipework) and on top of the firebox the manifold and whistle:

roof ventilator.jpg

Truly amazing work.

• Like 3
  • Agree 14

The 9F is astonishing. It would be superb in any scale, but in 2mm, it is truly magnificent. My complements to the builder. I did dabble in N Gauge a few years ago, but my eyes weren't up to it.

I hesitate to post the attached, other than it seemed to sum up a "thread which has run through this thread", re kits and RTR, and prototype location. The locos are a re-numbered RTR K3), a "cut and shut" body on an etched chassis (J72), and an etched chassis kit (B16/3). All fit in my model/prototype location, the layout being entirely built by me (hence the dodgy trackwork, etc). All would be seen at Little Benton.

I am convinced that this hobby offers scope for  participation by those of any skill levels to take part.  I personally get great pleasure at my time of life being able to produce and run stuff which I either saw, or just missed in my spotting days, but to do so means running everything just out the box isn't an option for me. I wish I had stared developing these skill 30 years ago.

IMG_20190910_144612.jpg

• Like 11
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, rowanj said:

The 9F is astonishing. It would be superb in any scale, but in 2mm, it is truly magnificent. My complements to the builder. I did dabble in N Gauge a few years ago, but my eyes weren't up to it.

I hesitate to post the attached, other than it seemed to sum up a "thread which has run through this thread", re kits and RTR, and prototype location. The locos are a re-numbered RTR K3), a "cut and shut" body on an etched chassis (J72), and an etched chassis kit (B16/3). All fit in my model/prototype location, the layout being entirely built by me (hence the dodgy trackwork, etc). All would be seen at Little Benton.

I am convinced that this hobby offers scope for  participation by those of any skill levels to take part.  I personally get great pleasure at my time of life being able to produce and run stuff which I either saw, or just missed in my spotting days, but to do so means running everything just out the box isn't an option for me. I wish I had stared developing these skill 30 years ago.

IMG_20190910_144612.jpg

I think you've perfectly summed up what this thread sets out to do, John, 

It's a privilege that Nick's 9F is shown on here. However, we're not all of the same standard/ability/experience/'genius' even that he is - very, very few are. 

It's good then (and I include myself in the following category) that 'lesser mortals' can still participate in the hobby in a creative way, making things, adapting things and exploiting what we have in abundance right now.

Speaking of 'exploiting' things, three dear chums came round today and we ran LB. Questions were asked about the majority of the 90+ BR Mk.1s I run in many of the expresses. 'Mainly modified Bachmann RTR' I responded. 'New couplings, new wheels, concertina gangways fitted, roof ribs taken off and weathering applied. All done in a fraction of the time needed to make a brass equivalent. What I've been able to do by utilising RTR cars is free up my time to make the types not made RTR'. Thanks Keith, Colin and Jim for your humour friendship, hospitality and damn good company today, plus your most-generous contributions to CRUK. 

We all agreed that the hobby is a broad church, but all also agreed that personally making things (however humble) is paramount. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, rowanj said:

I am convinced that this hobby offers scope for  participation by those of any skill levels to take part.

I could not agree more - what gets me is when we get postings saying that a new model is a complete 'No-no'  for the writer because, say, it has / has not got overhead live wire warning flashes, or it has the wrong number.

Everyone has to start somewhere; but if you won't start you cannot possibly arrive!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Like 4
  • Agree 14

4 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

I think you've perfectly summed up what this thread sets out to do, John, 

It's a privilege that Nick's 9F is shown on here. However, we're not all of the same standard/ability/experience/'genius' even that he is - very, very few are. 

It's good then (and I include myself in the following category) that 'lesser mortals' can still participate in the hobby in a creative way, making things, adapting things and exploiting what we have in abundance right now.

Speaking of 'exploiting' things, three dear chums came round today and we ran LB. Questions were asked about the majority of the 90+ BR Mk.1s I run in many of the expresses. 'Mainly modified Bachmann RTR' I responded. 'New couplings, new wheels, concertina gangways fitted, roof ribs taken off and weathering applied. All done in a fraction of the time needed to make a brass equivalent. What I've been able to do by utilising RTR cars is free up my time to make the types not made RTR'. Thanks Keith, Colin and Jim for your humour friendship, hospitality and damn good company today, plus your most-generous contributions to CRUK. 

We all agreed that the hobby is a broad church, but all also agreed that personally making things (however humble) is paramount. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Many thanks Tony for a thoroughly enjoyable day on behalf of all three of us!

Jim

7 hours ago, jimwal said:

Many thanks Tony for a thoroughly enjoyable day on behalf of all three of us!

Jim

My pleasure, Jim,

Please fix up another visit for next year.

One of the greatest privileges of being the custodian of Little Bytham (there's far too much of the work of others on it to consider it 'mine') is the number of visitors who come to operate it. Many (most?) are return visitors, who come back for the 'crack', the excellent pub lunches and just to have great fun operating the railway. Sometimes, as yesterday, we run the sequence (well done chaps, though I wish I could remember what to do), or we just drive trains around at will, very often those brought by guests. The railway runs impeccably - it's just that I don't! Not only that, the generous donations given by visitors to LB to CRUK has just tipped us over the £3,000.00 for this year alone. Thanks to everyone for this - from donations here or at shows, for models donated for sale and from private donations sent through Mo and me. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

those who are 'frightened' to attempt to alter an expensive model, in case they mess it up? 

Tony. 

I suspect that the fear of ruining an expensive model is a big reason.  I model in P4 so I'm used to having to make changes but it took a while to pluck up the courage to drill holes and take the T-Cut to an SLW Class 24 to turn it in to a Tyne Dock fitted example with a different number...

John

• Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

3 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Are we now seeing a 'spoon-fed' generation of 'modellers' who expect RTR manufacturers to provide for their every whim? Those who aren't prepared to do any 'modelling' for themselves? Those who complain because they don't have the funds for others to do the work for them (weird), or those who have the funds and just let others do their modelling for them? Or those who are 'frightened' to attempt to alter an expensive model, in case they mess it up? 

I almost long for the days when, because RTR models were so poor, one had to alter them substantially to get anything near realism or good-running. The mags used to be full of that sort of stuff, especially the old MRC.

There is a strong argument that, when considering physical construction, as opposed to 'acquisitive modelling', the hobby has seriously regressed since the days of the MRC.

The trouble is, when near-perfection is available - at a price - the newer generation of 'modellers' will not consider purchasing anything but RTR - and as it will always be impossible to produce every variant RTR, we get endless complaints that Hornbach are 'missing a trick' by not producing variant XYZ.

The more, and more detailed, models that are produced, the less the potential market will be satisfied.

When I get back home from sunning myself and riding Lisbon trams - and despite the forthcoming RTR models - I will resume improving Lima GWR railcars; a remarkably simple task if you want 'layout' vehicles as opposed to ultra-detailed, too-fragile-to-touch ones!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Like 6
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Did someone mention Lisbon trams ...

IMG_4657.JPG.328742bcc23082a4381d45d3838f9878.JPG

IMG_4661.JPG.857615fb3489bf430dd3d1b95df37c0a.JPG

Also .....

2 hours ago, johndon said:

I suspect that the fear of ruining an expensive model is a big reason.  ....

Though I'm happy to chop about rtr products I find that as the price and delicacy of the model goes up so does the thought that it would be easy to balls things up. Originally I had thought that it was the price alone which caused hesitancy but on reflection I'm not sure that it's even the primary cause. Models from the seventies have a robust feel which invites the attention of cutting disk and craft knife in the way that current rtr production with it's fine, extra detailing doesn't. 

• Like 14
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Good afternoon John,

This reminds me of the time when a chap phoned me up when I was at BRM 'complaining' that the latest Hornby loco I'd just reviewed 'wasn't exactly the one he required'. He wanted a different name/number and a different livery variation. I told him of the firms who would supply him with etched nameplates, transfers, paint and anything else needed. 'Oh, I'll mess it up' he said. I then gave him a list of professionals who'd be happy to undertake the 'conversion'. 'Oh, I can't afford those!' When I said 'Then it looks like you can't have it' he got quite irate, saying I had no right to dictate what he could or couldn't have, threatening to complain to my MD. I won't mention exactly where I told him to go! 

Are we now seeing a 'spoon-fed' generation of 'modellers' who expect RTR manufacturers to provide for their every whim? Those who aren't prepared to do any 'modelling' for themselves? Those who complain because they don't have the funds for others to do the work for them (weird), or those who have the funds and just let others do their modelling for them? Or those who are 'frightened' to attempt to alter an expensive model, in case they mess it up? 

I almost long for the days when, because RTR models were so poor, one had to alter them substantially to get anything near realism or good-running. The mags used to be full of that sort of stuff, especially the old MRC.

Regards,

Tony. 

Hello Tony

I have told the Accurascale chaps that I will not be buying one of their Deltics as they are not doing the one I want, D9001 "St Paddy" in green with a 34G yellow panel.  It was my favorite of the class and in my mind the livery I would like it in was the best. I did go on and say the layout I am building was not on the ECML therefore the need for a Deltic was very minimal and as I already have six which are not used the requirement for another was very low on the must have list. I then let them have a look at one of my lengthened Lima models, which they were polite enough to not laugh at until I had gone. In the conversation we did discuss the fact I could renumber one of their models, which is still a potential possibility  but there remains the possibility of St Paddy in green being made at some point in time. It is just a simple case it would be a model of a particular loco I would buy even though I do not need it but would like it. If another Deltic was a requirement for my layout I would have bought a Hornby railroad one and made it longer. 

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 2