Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Premium
On 15/09/2019 at 18:55, Lecorbusier said:

That's good to know ... I think I recall Tony building one of them for BRM (or something Similar) and I think he shared your view.

I have one of the 0-4-4Ts as well (good old e-bay) .... but have yet to work out how I am going to engineer the truck.

On 15/09/2019 at 21:11, Lecorbusier said:

That's good advice ... sounds like a plan. ..... just not sure how it might work if I plump for CSb's - but let's not run before we can walk  ... first the 1F

Having built several to P4, when you get around to it, and besides using new frames, (the originals have cutouts for fitting a X04 type motor - and at the narrowest/worst possible place in the frames), perhaps you might like to consider fixing the bogie in place. It won't be going around 2nd radius curves after all, minimum A5 I would think, about 36" rad. This helps prevent excessive bunker side-throw or buffer beam rise and fall, and the pivot point also becomes the fulcrum for weight placement so anything forward of the cab floor adds to that on the drivers. Fitting split-axle current collection to the bogie is another improvement, and several ways of doing it (always simply/crude in my case). As such it doesn't really matter what type/form of axle movement you use.

Izzy

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

1957905928_CollettRF.jpg.cc91b3d8afab145b47a61cd6556789f1.jpg

This Collett RF conversion was made by Westerner (Alan).

Being pedantic, Tony, Alan's model is an RC of diagram H33. It's a very straightforward conversion although it's easy to get carried away. What with one thing and another, on my version all that is left of the Hornby donor are the roof and the interior moulding.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On ‎16‎/‎09‎/‎2019 at 07:58, Tony Wright said:

Did I manage to photograph the Jidenco Claughton on Narrow Road, Tony?

1628248936_JidencoClaughton02.jpg.e99256942f418b1c6225c7e500e1eb32.jpg

A year ago, at the Woking Show, I did manage to photograph this one, running on Metropolitan Junction (in EM). This year it was back again, on the EM Gauge Society stand. I was amused by the little note describing it. 'JIdenco kit, over 90% scratch-built, just parts of the cab, a few castings and some nuts and bolts from the original' or words to that effect!

Regards,

Tony. 

Back to Jidenco (if I may?). Here's another Claughton, crawled out of the woodwork.

DSC05050.JPG.151c53af1ebd72dde7398da7e85b8770.JPG

DSC05055.JPG.20d8d02c76bc194002599cad4f223acf.JPG

It's towards the back of a rather long queue of loco detailing jobs at the moment - one day, I hope to address some of its more glaring aspects. But it has quite a respectable paint finish and it does 'go', in a X04 sort of way.

See it running (a bit noisily!) on Shap at Hartlepool and Peterborough on this LMS 'demo' train that we have inserted in the schedule to provide a suitable segue whilst we reset things back from 1967 to 1953.

• Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Dec 24th 2018 the Lime Street Gang had a really lovely looking Claughton on their thread. It's from a DJH kit and has been beautifully put together and finished.

Regards,

Alastair M

Edited by A Murphy
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LNER4479 said:

Back to Jidenco (if I may?). Here's another Claughton, crawled out of the woodwork.

DSC05050.JPG.151c53af1ebd72dde7398da7e85b8770.JPG

DSC05055.JPG.20d8d02c76bc194002599cad4f223acf.JPG

It's towards the back of a rather long queue of loco detailing jobs at the moment - one day, I hope to address some of its more glaring aspects. But it has quite a respectable paint finish and it does 'go', in a X04 sort of way.

See it running (a bit noisily!) on Shap at Hartlepool and Peterborough on this LMS 'demo' train that we have inserted in the schedule to provide a suitable segue whilst we reset things back from 1967 to 1953.

Did you make it from a Jidenco kit, Graham?

If so, you're a much better modeller than I'll ever be. 

However, judging by the height of those front buffers, if connected to a train it would crush the carriage's end!

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Looking at that valve gear, I would suggest that it is another case of Jidenco but with replacement parts. The components supplied in the kit are much finer.

I haven't seen a large boiler Jidenco Claughton before, so that may be even rarer than our small boiler variety.

5 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

However, judging by the height of those front buffers, if connected to a train it would crush the carriage's end!

Yes, I was wondering about the gap above the bogie wheels and whether the front end was sitting down sufficiently. But then I'm no steam loco expert and wouldn't know what it should look like so wouldn't have commented (until Tony's assessment which seems to reinforce my thoughts). Nonetheless, the model looks great.

1 hour ago, t-b-g said:

I am sure Tony won't mind me posting one of his own photos on here but I have found out a copy of the shot he took of the narrow Road Claughton approaching the terminus.

64641710_NarrowRoadClaughton(TonyWright).jpg.89c9fe59be3ed8689dab2badc33d671d.jpg

I don't mind at all, Tony; I'm delighted....................

Regards,

Tony. 

Back to Jidenco, did this one some years ago, I seem to remember posting this on this thread before. I don't think any replacement parts were used other than possibly the chimney and in my naivety in those days thought the kit was OK. Definitely looks better from a distance!IMGP0835.JPG.dd35599030a2873d4cee8bb432fa4edb.JPGChas

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

6 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Did you make it from a Jidenco kit, Graham?

Good heavens, no!

Like I said, it is at towards the end of a rather large queue of locos needing attention!

I am pretty certain that it was built by Hubert Parrish, probably in the 1980s. I have acquired it in a rather roundabout way.

It really needs a complete re-wheel as well as re-motor but I think it will be worth lavishing some time on in due course.

557330356_JidencoPaddlebox.jpg.3f81e504dfea10ac2ad187f0ccc96b4f.jpg

I did however build THIS loco from a Jidenco kit, some 20 years ago. That was fun...

• Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

'a while ago I spoke to you at a show where you had a 'layout coach' made from brass sides overlaid on an RTR coach.'

This is the coach in question, Eric. 

1004720017_LMSD1791Composite01.jpg.4fd85441238960bada786e546aaf6323.jpg

616663117_LMSD1791Composite02.jpg.0dcade5ac30f1fa4146d7b9b62954deb.jpg

It's been seen before, but there are always new readers to this thread. It represents a Dia. 1791 ex-LMS Composite, made from Comet sides over an old Airfix donor, with a much-modified underframe (again Comet). I've yet to alter the roof rainstrips.

Tony.. it would look a lot better with some Stones Ventilators fitted and the underframe sorted. Here is my version of a D1716 CK built from Comet Sides, 247 Developments ends, Brass channel solebars, castings from Comet and Bachmann RTR bogies.

124659969_exLMSD1716CKM3774M.JPG.13025ef0fbee4511cd853a8ecbbbce29.JPG

Roof now sorted

Baz

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
On Monday, September 16, 2019 at 09:11, timbowilts said:

Tim T

All packed up ready to move to Felin Foel

Often referred to as 'Feeling Foul' but their Double Dragon bitter needed caution exercised and their Welsh Stout can be a tad vocal in the morning. 

Rob. 

• Informative/Useful 3
  • Funny 1

51 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Tony.. it would look a lot better with some Stones Ventilators fitted and the underframe sorted. Here is my version of a D1716 CK built from Comet Sides, 247 Developments ends, Brass channel solebars, castings from Comet and Bachmann RTR bogies.

124659969_exLMSD1716CKM3774M.JPG.13025ef0fbee4511cd853a8ecbbbce29.JPG

Roof now sorted

Baz

What's wrong with the underframe on mine, Baz? 

I followed Comet's instructions in making it. It's far too much in shadow in your picture to make out what's what, but shouldn't it have a dynamo?

Regards,

Tony. 

5 hours ago, Woodcock29 said:

Talking of Claughtons, here's a DJH kit I built for a friend about 20 years ago, which I have subsequently acquired. The photo is on his layout. I might have posted photos of this before?

136089102_DSC_2167ps2s.jpg.1d00c7fd153bb31105a64525fac92259.jpg

Andrew

A lovely Claughton, Andrew,

Thanks for posting.

I've built two DJH large-boiler Claughtons, writing up about one in the RM. 6004 was the last survivor, retaining red to the end, though not its name. Who knows, I might have seen it as a pushchair enthusiast at Chester!

Regards,

Tony. 

12 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

I have been following the discussions about old kits with interest.  The first loco kit I made was a Wills King complete with WM chassis.  I could never get it to run.  I also tried to make a GEM compund and an L&Y 2-4-2T, neither of which ran well.  I had more success with a K's Garratt that could only haul about two wagons. I then out an MW5 under the rear rotary bunker and after that, with both motors it would haul anything I put behind it. It still has the K's wheels.  I did make one Jidenco kit, a 6 wheel Midland brake that I stuck together with superglue as I didn't have a reliable soldering iron.  I suppose that all this shows how my skills needed to increase.

Now to the real poi t of my post.  I have decided to dabble in 3D printed models and have ordered a print of a Heysham to Lancaster Electric trailer car. I'm not happy with my plasticard ones for various reasons and discovered that both the power cars and trailer cars are available from Rue d'Etropal via Shapeways.  Can anyone give me any tips about how to go about painting such things.  Any advice would be appreciated.

Jamie

Wash to get the resin clean. Paint with primer. Then sand. Paint with primer again, repeat until smooth where it needs to be. 

Richard

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
Just now, richard i said:

Wash to get the resin clean. Paint with primer. Then sand. Paint with primer again, repeat until smooth where it needs to be. 

Richard

Thanks a lot Richard, that's very helpful. According the UPS tracking site the trailer car body is somewhere in northern France due for delivery tomorrow.  I'm looming forward to seeing it. Fortunately I already have a chassis, i terior, buffers etc from my plasticard ones.  The problem with them is that there are very few internal partitions to stengthen the body sides and they have warped badly.

Jamie

• RMweb Gold

Enjoying all the Claughton pictures, they are a favorite of mine. I think red really suited them, particularly the pre-1928 Midland styling. They would have been used on the Pines north of Birmingham in my 1920s period but never, as far as I'm aware, made it anywhere near Bath. That said, a red one is fairly high on my 'completely inappropriate' list of locos I'd like to build one day. The other big passenger loco I fancy is a LSWR Paddlebox so who knows, a red Claughton bringing the Pines in from the north with a T14 to continue the run on to Bournemouth.

Jerry 

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, CF MRC said:

Relatively easy to hand build the wheels for a Claughton, Jerry, as they have round centre bosses.  Your ML10 lathe made a set nearly forty years ago in S gauge.

Tim

Just have to finish the layout and enough appropriate locos to run it first, then......... :)

Jerry

• Friendly/supportive 1

Hi Tony, the mention of all these old kits had me thinking back to before I was married, 'Ks', Wills, very early DJH, Bec. I had them built, part built and some thrown back in the box in exasperation not because I couldn't build anything but because the damn things didn't fit together well and needed a lot of work to look good. Boiler halves of different lengths, coupling rods that didn't match the chassis, cab rooves that were too wide for the cab, poor castings etc,etc.

Nowadays we are spoilt with kits that almost fall together unless it's a re-run of an oldie from those far off days.

My favourite has got to be HighLevel kits, not just because I know Chris but because he takes the time to fix non fitting parts found in trial builds even if it costs for a new etch to be drawn up and tested again so the customer does get one that works.

This was a final test build of the Black Hawthorne from a number of years ago:-

1339194844_HighlevelBlackHawthorne.JPG.9ef9ec4e48d562ba9bc02df3911c0daf.JPG

Lovely kit.

Dave Franks.

Edited by davefrk
  • Like 18
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1