Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

6 hours ago, Chamby said:

If it works in a similar fashion to other wireless control systems, the ‘runaway train’ problem usually arises when the locomotive is happily proceeding along as instructed, but then the control handset’s battery level drops below critical;  with no further commands being received from the controller, the locomotive simply carries on doing what it was last told to do...

'with no further commands being received from the controller, the locomotive simply carries on doing what it was last told to do...'

Slightly tongue in cheek, I admit, Phil, but I've seen a similar thing happen on DCC layouts; but here, the operators are pushing buttons like mad, with no response from the loco at all! The 'panic' button then has to be depressed! 

For the sake of simplicity, I'll explain how the trains are controlled on LB. There are two DC systems employed - Helmsman and H&M. 

On the former, the direction of travel is decided by which way a horizontal sliding switch is set - forward or backward. Then, a vertical slider governs the amount of electricity going to the track/loco. The further up the slider, the faster the train goes. Right up to the top, and a train will be on its side on the out-of-sight end curves! They're actually O Gauge controllers, giving over 2 Amps - ideal for a Pacific with 14-on.  

On the latter (Duette or Clipper), there's a substantial knob which, if turned clockwise, the train will go clockwise, and vice versa. 

No train EVER disobeys a 'command' (other than if the loco is a dud and doesn't respond at all!). 

What could be simpler? Those locos which don't need to move, stand on isolated (by a simple on/off switch) sections, arranged as appropriate. I wired most of this, understand how it works (in the main), though I've had occasional help when some point switches failed and I was bamboozled - thanks Tony Gee. 

Yet, on some DCC systems, I've seen locos 'running away', the operators of the layout just holding up their controllers saying 'It isn't me! On other occasions, trains take it into their heads to move, even if no 'instruction' has been given. As for 'macros' controlling routes, no thank you. An electric pencil and a CDU suit me just fine - entirely independent of what's powering the trains

I think Graeme King is spot-on when he suggests the simpler the better. I'm simple, and, as a result, better! Why do some buy into a system they don't understand, can't trouble shoot or fix it if it goes wrong and become hostages to fortune, entirely at the mercy of 'snake oil salesmen'? One friend has wasted thousands before finally getting a DCC system which 'works'. However, in my experience, nowhere near as reliably as the 'old-fashioned' system I employ. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
typo error
  • Like 4
  • Agree 4

I'm always a little bit nervous that my points (which are DCC) will "talk" to the layout.  I have a mix of solenoids and Cobalts, so always give the former a few back and forths before switching on the power.  Even so, I'm always worried that I might smell the delicate aroma of fried solenoid and arachnidiod.  So at the Woking show, Tony walks past Höchstädt just as power is applied and his friendly greeting was met with a desultory "hi".  All worked first time, other than a dry wire in a Cobalt connector!

Then Sunday morning, the control panel stopped working.  There is a plan B (F5 on the LH100 controller for those in the know).  An hour later I thought "why not try the panel again" and of course it worked perfectly.

Having mentioned the show and the layout, I was pleased that two people said it was the best layout there and another two people (both with German connections) said that I'd captured the atmosphere of a Franken Dorf.  What better complements, and irrelevant of analogue vs. digital.

Bill

• Like 3

That's a lovely little loco, Clive and a good example of the durability (and suitability) of Plastikard as a material.  Maybe not for every circumstance, but the warping and UV sensitivity concerns are well answered by 20 years of life.

It's also nice to see another delivery of filler arriving on the cut'n'shut special in the background.

Alan

Edited by Buhar
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

If I turn the layout on and there is an instant short circuit the first thing I do is find a second pair of glasses so I can see which bit of track I left my metal framed specs sitting on. 

Long term I can see the attraction of battery and some sort of radio link system, the one shown above looks very good. Something I'm keeping  an eye on. When I can find my specs...... 

• Like 2
  • Funny 4

3 hours ago, bbishop said:

I'm always a little bit nervous that my points (which are DCC) will "talk" to the layout.  I have a mix of solenoids and Cobalts, so always give the former a few back and forths before switching on the power.  Even so, I'm always worried that I might smell the delicate aroma of fried solenoid and arachnidiod.  So at the Woking show, Tony walks past Höchstädt just as power is applied and his friendly greeting was met with a desultory "hi".  All worked first time, other than a dry wire in a Cobalt connector!

Then Sunday morning, the control panel stopped working.  There is a plan B (F5 on the LH100 controller for those in the know).  An hour later I thought "why not try the panel again" and of course it worked perfectly.

Having mentioned the show and the layout, I was pleased that two people said it was the best layout there and another two people (both with German connections) said that I'd captured the atmosphere of a Franken Dorf.  What better complements, and irrelevant of analogue vs. digital.

Bill

'What better complements, and irrelevant of analogue vs. digital.'

Perhaps one system complements the other?

Seriously, Bill; good to see you at the weekend, and I'm amazed the 'death rays' in my specs didn't cause your layout's systems to fail, the moment I looked at it. That's what normally happens!

Regards,

Tony. 

1 hour ago, 60027Merlin said:

Tony,

Now that the locos and I are back home in one piece after a most enjoyable visit the twosome are now back on” the level” after suffering from some shoogling about in their boxes on their travelling south despite the tissue paper and foam strip packing.

The ready to run locos have all been subject to extra detail taken from photos of them at the relevant dates in the late 50s. I prefer to retain a fairly pristine finish to the pacifics from Haymarket plus the two Dundee Tay Bridge A2s in contrast to the Gateshead A1. As mentioned to you the Bachmann coaches have had their weights removed which makes them the same weight as the Kirk Gresleys. The ready to run locos can easily handle 8/9 coach trains which is the maximum number I use on the layout.

The Judith Edge diesel is an NB/Paxman in the  number series D2703–07. A couple of them were shedded at St. Margarets. The Norrie Blackburn N15 and J88 kits are from the 70s when they were also built whilst the Judith Edge loco purchased about 15 years ago was eventually built last year.  The GEM Glen is also 70s vintage, still going strong! I built a C16 produced by Sutherland Model Casters back then as well and the one photographed is the same kit but now from Nu-Cast which I obtained from a friend a couple of years ago. The D49/2 Hunt class, The Cleveland, was a Haymarket loco being one of only two based in Scotland.

Now on the straight and narrow!

D2706.JPG.3ba9150fa3f002031e16a43f182e1cb6.JPG

69150.JPG.81885a08f770f36484130e2fcb43e30d.JPG

Thanks Eric,

I'm glad you and the locos got back safely. It's a pity you didn't get the A3 out for photography, but next time...............

Once again, many thanks for bringing your work along - the emphasis being on 'your'. I take my hat off to you; you do all that loco-building/modifying/painting/weathering yourself. For much of the painting, I rely on others. 

Those 'more mature' kit-built locos you brought showed me (yet again) what I think Wright Writes is all about. Personal model-making, self-reliance and a willingness to have a go. Those older ones reminded me of my earlier efforts - when one was glad for what was available in kit-form, and just got on and built the things. Old-style Romfords and XO4 derivatives, with five poles! That they worked so well on LB is a testament to your modelling expertise. 

Happy days!

Thanks again for the memories.

Regards,

Tony. 

• RMweb Premium
On 18/09/2019 at 16:15, Tony Wright said:

One friend has wasted thousands before finally getting a DCC system which 'works'. However, in my experience, nowhere near as reliably as the 'old-fashioned' system I employ. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Right on cue, the editorial in the latest MRJ contains the following:

"Recently I sold my NCE Controller to buy a Digitrax Zephyr as I thought it would be a more convenient way to test the running of my engines, only to find later that I couldn't programme sound CV's on it, which is why I wanted it".

The Author?  Barry Norman, no less.....

Hello Tony and everyone,

Following on from my N Gauge Worsley Works full third, I put together a brake third over the last couple of days.

1138840588_WorsleyWorks51ftBrakeThird.jpg.67478a9529d34da0da480d6bb9992171.jpg

There are a couple of annoying construction wobbles on this one, but nothing a few wafts with the solder iron won't fix. I've quite enjoyed putting these together and certainly think that etched carriages are the way to go for me over 3D printing; I just need to make sure I keep the weight down and ensure that the bogies are free running.

Pictured is pretty much everything that comes on the Worsley etch. I'd like to model these with the earlier truss rods but that will require a bit of lateral thinking as they'll have to be scratchbuilt.

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

4 hours ago, JamieR4489 said:

I've finally finished the NBR dia 110 horsebox Tony gave me.

IMG_3809.jpg.b5c096166ce7c8ed2e6315965871a7ab.jpgIMG_3810.jpg.0c3d6be397a07755c46212f1ea67ea60.jpg

Sorry for the strange location of the pictures (and the finger in the last one). I was trying to get the model in the sun and it was late afternoon.

Regards,

Jamie

Well done Jamie,

For a first attempt at a complex, etched-brass kit, it's a creditable effort. 

You've photographed it in the most extreme conditions - direct sunlight. I'd never do that with anything I've made. Shaded sunshine is far less ruthless.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

I've just read two separate items concerning having 'fun' in railway modelling...............

Both made me splutter into my morning cup of tea! 

One was related to not taking things too seriously and the other to the recent TV programmes. 

I inferred from both that having 'fun' was exclusive to 'making things up' or getting involved with time-imperative jeopardy. 

What nonsense! I've had loads of fun from this hobby, making things as 'accurately' as I can, and not making it competitive or struggling against the tyranny of time. 

Are modellers who take things 'seriously' seen as hair-shirt freaks, all having glum faces and not hooting with laughter at all?  

In my opinion, by all means have fun in this hobby, at whatever level one models. I've lost count of the number of times I've collapsed with laughter - often at myself. 

Edited by Tony Wright
typo error
  • Like 5
  • Agree 8

11 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

I've just read two separate items concerning having 'fun' in railway modelling...............

One was related to not taking things too seriously and the other to the recent TV programmes. 

I inferred from both that having 'fun' was exclusive to 'making things up' or getting involved with time-imperative jeopardy. 

What nonsense! I've had loads of fun from this hobby, making things as 'accurately' as I can, and not making it competitive or struggling against the tyranny of time. 

Are modellers who take things 'seriously' seen as hair-shirt freaks, all having glum faces and not hooting with laughter at all?  

In my opinion, by all means have fun in this hobby, at whatever level one models. I've lost count of the number of times I've collapsed with laughter - often at myself. 

Yes. I have noticed of recent the assertion that you are only having fun with railway modelling if you are involved with the outrageous or absurd, and ignoring observing and replicating the prototype and real railway practice. For me the fact remains that everyone in the hobby can have fun regardless of their approach and that increased enjoyment comes from making the effort to undertake some constructional modelling of the prototype as accurately as possible (or at least as able depending on skill level and resources permit).

I also get the impression that the majority of railway modellers and enthusiasts try to accurately replicate the real railway (what ever their choice of location, era and genre). However it's modelling the outlandish, often with animated clichés and noise, that is currently the vogue, as in the current TV railway modelling competition programme. I doubt it is representative of the hobby as a whole. But then if they are also having fun and enjoying themselves then that's fine by me. I'm sure it makes for good viewing figures.

• Like 4
  • Agree 5

All depends on what you look at as fun........

Distance running.........people thought I was nuts but I loved it.......especially the end bit, no euphemism intended.....

Or filling a metal container with a highly flammable and explosive liquid, placing on top of an extremely hot engine and going out for a blast......

Or building the everyday and mundane.......... wagons......which I'd like to see a lot more of please.......the Insulfish for starters.....

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Hello Tony

I hope I take my modelling seriously but have fun doing so. Last night I ran some trains, one coach was playing up so I looked at its wheels, back to backs where not right, I sorted them out. Which in turn lead me to look at another coach which always runs poorly. I changed its wheels. While I was in the depths of my coach spares box I became diverted from my main task and rewheeled a pair Trix Commonwealth bogies and fitted them to the chassis of my cut and shut Griddle Car, and what an improvement not only to the coach but to the look of the bogies. Quite a bit of fun doing these small task and a lot of satisfying achievement. To add to the fun I was listening to the Screaming Females.

The main enjoyment last night was having a bash at scratchbuilding a Gresley steel body BG. I have cut the basic sides out and shaped one of them, roughly. For this experiment I am adding thicker plastic card to the lower back and using a file to get the tumbleholme. Here is a mock photo, the chassis roof and bogies all come form other models and nothing is fixed in place.

004a.jpg.e4ae9c55010982d35551e0d3f053cfb3.jpg

When removing the BR Mk1 bogies of the Griddle Car's Tri-ang chassis trying to slice off my finger with the razor saw was not fun.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Atso said:

Hello Tony and everyone,

Following on from my N Gauge Worsley Works full third, I put together a brake third over the last couple of days.

1138840588_WorsleyWorks51ftBrakeThird.jpg.67478a9529d34da0da480d6bb9992171.jpg

There are a couple of annoying construction wobbles on this one, but nothing a few wafts with the solder iron won't fix. I've quite enjoyed putting these together and certainly think that etched carriages are the way to go for me over 3D printing; I just need to make sure I keep the weight down and ensure that the bogies are free running.

Pictured is pretty much everything that comes on the Worsley etch. I'd like to model these with the earlier truss rods but that will require a bit of lateral thinking as they'll have to be scratchbuilt.

4mm scale extended handrail knobs make excellent queen posts for truss rods Steve.  P/B wire is also useful as it has more spring in it than brass (I have loads if you would like some). 

Tim

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Funnily enough, when watching the aforesaid television programme last week, it did conjure up a bizarre vision of Tony perhaps constructing an exploding volcano made from repurposed tu-tu on LB.  This is surely not the hobby as we know it...

The growing emphasis on building an entertaining model which happens to have a railway on it, rather than building a model of a railway, is becoming a mis-representation of our hobby.   Yes, the programme is entertaining, but this series does seem to be even more removed from railway modelling than the last...  certainly members of the club that I attend, when discussing the show last week, are now even less inclined to take part than before.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3