Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Tony Wright

Wright writes.....

1 hour ago, DougN said:

Well Tony, your comments for what they are set down to challange the listener. Jesse, learnt and was challenged to improve. The same way your article did in the December 1989 railway modeller did for me... I was 15! I was never told that it was hard to solder or work in metal... I just gave it a go. 

This is part of what a lot of educators call " life long learning" whether this is for work purposes or a hobby. It keeps you brain active. 

My modelling is currently a bit all all over the place but I need to finish a high level kits Neilson mineral tank. 

Which article was that, Doug?

I've written so many down the years, I've forgotten. 

It's gratifying to know that articles I (or any other modeller) have written have been of use, especially to the less-experienced. 

Whatever I describe, I always stress it's 'a way' of doing things, 'my way, but never 'the way'. I know it's a way which works.

The subject of taking on board criticism (hopefully constructive) keeps on coming up. I saw a changing approach to 'criticism' during my final years in teaching, over a quarter of a century ago now. Nobody seemed to be allowed to 'fail'. Excellence was almost derided, or something to be hushed up.

Even in school sports it was happening. As part of my role as staff social secretary, each year I'd put in an invitation staff relay team to compete against the 5th/6th years  boys' teams in the 4 x 400 metres event (in a comprehensive school). The fact that I had two 'international' runners meant we never lost. Then, it was decided that more staff  teams should be represented, but this time 'all-inclusive'. Why? Because it's 'humbling to be beaten and not good for the character'. What a farce, and no more did the staff participate. 

When folk show their models to me and invite comment, I tell the truth as I see it. Not to destroy their confidence and to put them off, but to show them a way to improve. I expect nothing less of the models I make. Why should comments exhorting the likes of making things for oneself, observing the prototype at all times and striving for greater accuracy be derided in some quarters? Especially if they also include helping others.

Anyway, enough of my ramblings. It's off later for my birthday meal with my oldest friend (we first met 62 years ago!). Even then, we were mutually-critical of our own model-making! 

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
to clarify a point
  • Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Many Happy Returns Tony, hope you have a lovely meal.

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

Happy Birthday Tony! Enjoy the rest of your day.

Best regards, Michael

• Thanks 1

Happy birthday Tony, I didn't realise our birthdays were so close together - Kim's was on the 4th, mine the 8th and eldest son is on the 16th. Those cold February nights have a lot to answer for! 

cheers Jerry

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

2 hours ago, queensquare said:

Happy birthday Tony, I didn't realise our birthdays were so close together - Kim's was on the 4th, mine the 8th and eldest son is on the 16th. Those cold February nights have a lot to answer for! 

cheers Jerry

Thanks Jerry,

We're all 'level-headed' though! 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

I'm humbled Tony,

What was my comment about that MTK Cravens DMU you were building which you brought for me to see? Something to do with faecal matter I think!

Regards,

Tony. 

Tony is like a really good teacher / lecturer, you do not appreciate what was conversed and discussed till you have time to reflect. He has amused, taught and pointed out to me at a few shows now and looking back all of it was relevant and a good grounding to the hobby.

Long may it continue.

Regards

Peter

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Have a great birthday meal. For me the article that got me hooked was the V2 article where you honestly appraised both kits. 

Your view on my weathering was flying turd. Obviously advice is normally number 2 related. 

Richard 

Happy birthday Tony!

We met at Wigan - you convinced me soldering is the way to go with white metal.  Thanks for your time and patience!

The 'practice' 97xx is making up quite nicely.  It's going to live on a Comet chassis.

Nick

97xx_1.jpg

97xx_2.jpg

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7

Happy birthday Tony,

Like many, I've learnt a lot from you. It was the Right-Track DVDs on loco building that got me hooked on serious model-making.

Regards,

Jamie

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Happy Birthday Tony.  Have you treated yourself to something special modelling-wise?

• Thanks 1

Happy birthday!

• Thanks 1

Happy Birthday to you
the fastest A4's were blue
the green ones look mouldy
and BR maroon looks like......

Best wishes on your Birthday.

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 7

Happy Birthday Tony. Many happy returns. Have a lovely evening!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NickM said:

Happy birthday Tony!

We met at Wigan - you convinced me soldering is the way to go with white metal.  Thanks for your time and patience!

The 'practice' 97xx is making up quite nicely.  It's going to live on a Comet chassis.

Nick

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_2019_10/97xx_1.jpg.d8e80c4c2fa39555857cae3a52e881f4.jpg

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_2019_10/97xx_2.jpg.796af3d718af5feed31758fd6723d7bb.jpg

Thanks Nick,

Is that really that old K's kit you bought off me at Wigan? Just last weekend! 

What fantastic work. 

My compliments indeed. 

Thanks, too for all the good wishes today from everyone.

Regards,

Tony. 

1 hour ago, richard i said:

Have a great birthday meal. For me the article that got me hooked was the V2 article where you honestly appraised both kits. 

Your view on my weathering was flying turd. Obviously advice is normally number 2 related. 

Richard 

Thanks Richard,

I thought the epithet describing your Austerity was apposite. 

theflyingturd.jpg.5b6b11adb816ec956ae5d256d1f08080.jpg

Everyone else agreed!

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

Happy birthday Tony.

I hope you received an appropriate new item for your train set. Nothing worse than pretending the airbraked van with Coca Cola on its side is just what you wanted.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 10

Very best wishes, Tony.

Trying to remember Tony's  gentle observations on my soldering, when he first saw my work.  "Are you

a plumber?" "Did you use roofing lead" etc!

Al

• Friendly/supportive 1

Happy Birthday Tony.

This thread does strange things to you. I now model in EM and have just cleared the decks to start fitting point rodding and I'm building my second etched chassis how did that happen!

I do enjoy my modelling a lot more now so thanks for the inspiration everyone.

Martyn

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chamby said:

Happy Birthday Tony.  Have you treated yourself to something special modelling-wise?

Thanks Phil,

Nothing extra special; just getting on with building a DJH C2 for Jesse Sim, making another van, fitting Sprat and Winkle couplings to another and completing the weathering on a wagon built by a mate...................

12609062_birthdaywork.jpg.531aba27b6a8eec1d8606a175befce7c.jpg

All in a normal (birth) day's work. 

Seriously, I wonder how much modelling time is wasted by folk not actually getting on with things. A friend has been contemplating building a layout for over two decades now. He has the space, the time and the resources, but nothing ever seems to get done. 'One day' is the usual reply to my inevitable question. 

Dining with my oldest friend today, he can't believe how much time I spend on railways. Or, how much is built in that time. He's another who's contemplating building a layout 'some day', but in two months' time he'll be 73 as well! 

Without appearing too lugubrious, the time left to us is diminishing all-too-fast, and I still have so many projects I'd like to embark upon and complete. An SR S15 awaits beginning, as does the W1, and there's the C2 and a K1 to complete. That's not too mention my completing LB's point rodding. Then there are kits for a C12, a B12, a Stanier Black Five, a Stanier 8F and a Britannia, all awaiting the iron. 

For all those dithering, time is running out! 

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
to add a little more
  • Like 9
  • Agree 9

34 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Thanks Nick,

Is that really that old K's kit you bought off me at Wigan? Just last weekend! 

What fantastic work. 

My compliments indeed. 

Thanks, too for all the good wishes today from everyone.

Regards,

Tony. 

It is indeed that same kit Tony.

Nick

Happy Birthday TW! 

I find the comments from so many people "I wish I had the ....." and insert, time, talent, space, money, into that sentence. If some one really wants to do something generally the only thing that is stopping them is their confidence! No matter how busy you are you can find time and create it! If This is saying, "on Monday night I will not sit in front of the TV, I will start by getting out a kit and doing as much as I can until 10pm..."

Suddenly after 3 weeks they have something finished this has also formed a habit... the cycle of TV shows has moved on and the normal in the house has changed. This also produces the talent as skills are created and the confidence grows. The next 2 are more challenging as money is always finite on a daily basis but the good news is it is a renewable resource! People might read of the large layouts with heaps of kit built locos but this is generally not where people have started. Usually it has started with a wagon or a loco or a coach so a small purchases add up to be a large collection. I have had local friends say how did I end up with so many RTR locos wagons etc.. I bought them one at a time! 

Personally I have created a bit of a New Years resolution last year, 2018! Which as continued through this year of trying to finish something each month. My total for this year is down on the 14 items last year... but I am still making, doing, creating, what I want. So similar to TW's philosophy encourage everyone to get on with things look to improve. However one thing I must add is to keep changing what your doing as if all you are doing is building box vans set the challange by a date then go onto something else such  as a building, variety keeps the interest going. 

Unsurprisingly this is type of mental gymnastics improves mental health, you control what you do and as this is creating at your pace becomes a sort of cognitive behaviour therapy so you feel better! Also you will drink less and smoke less (though I do hope people are giving this up...) as the modelling become more engaging but also as drinking impairs your skills and speed to get things done.

With all of this it is making me want to get up and do some modelling as the clock has just gone 8.13am on a Saturday morning! 

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1