Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Tony Wright

Wright writes.....

48 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Do they, Grahame, like the forthcoming Hatton's 'generic' range of pre-Grouping four-wheelers range, represent no actual specific prototype? 

One latter-day use for ancient four-wheeled carriages is in engineers' trains. I have one, builder unknown (kit unknown, but it's etched brass), which I stripped right down after acquiring it, and painted it in engineers' black. John Isherwood very kindly supplied the transfers, and, after I'd applied them and glazed the carriage, Richard Wilson weathered it. 

It's seen here in 'typical' engineers' trains on LB...............

A visitor suggested it might be NBR in origin, but I've really no idea. Does anyone?

It runs in company with a Mousa Models' resin ex-GNR non-gangwayed Brake Third, again in engineering use. 

I built this as a review in BRM. Again, John Isherwood kindly supplied the transfers. 

Obviously, as I'd finished it it was way too clean, so Richard Wilson weathered it for me. 

I wonder when the last of these arcane vehicles finally disappeared from our railways. Were any ever painted red, or blue for service in engineers' trains. Over 40 years ago, I took a shot of a then-new HST at Huntingdon, and in a siding there was a (very-faded) blue-painted Gresley of some description. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Yes, I presume the Farish coaches are generic and not based on an actual prototype (they were available in a range of liveries to represent various companies) although I know nothing about such things. However, they do look rather like some that I've seen pics of and particularly this NER 5 compartment type (apart from the lack of panelled ends) so they could be based on a specific type:

1676681341_NER4wheel.jpg.12bfbcf73d0a05fb6440c3d5909bb7f2.jpg

I've no idea where this pic (above) came from (I've had it for ages) so it might be subject to copyright although it is marked page 4 so is probably only part of a document - possibly a kit instruction - that I've taken a photo of.

I'm not planning to do a lot to them; add some easily attached details, smarten them up, upgrade the wheels and buffers, etc. I have this box of bits I put together some years ago and thought it was time to complete the project.

DSCN1334.JPG.7a740ac5d2a1c16d9a61a2c03965de5f.JPG

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, grahame said:

Yes, I presume the Farish coaches are generic and not based on an actual prototype (they were available in a range of liveries to represent various companies) although I know nothing about such things. However, they do look rather like some that I've seen pics of and particularly this NER 5 compartment type (apart from the lack of panelled ends) so they could be based on a specific type:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_2019_11/1676681341_NER4wheel.jpg.12bfbcf73d0a05fb6440c3d5909bb7f2.jpg

I've no idea where this pic (above) came from (I've had it for ages) so it might be subject to copyright although it is marked page 4 so is probably only part of a document - possibly a kit instruction - that I've taken a photo of.

I'm not planning to do a lot to them; add some easily attached details, smarten them up, upgrade the wheels and buffers, etc. I have this box of bits I put together some years ago and thought it was time to complete the project.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_2019_11/DSCN1334.JPG.7a740ac5d2a1c16d9a61a2c03965de5f.JPG

Thanks Grahame,

Odd that the drawing is lettered 'NSR'. And, all the compartments are shown as the same size, be they 1st, 2nd or 3rd Class; all 3rd Class on the plan. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Odd that the drawing is lettered 'NSR'.

North Sunderland Railway ?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Agree 2

Just now, Tony Wright said:

Odd that the drawing is lettered 'NSR'. And, all the compartments are shown as the same size, be they 1st, 2nd or 3rd Class; all 3rd Class on the plan. 

Yes, I'd noticed that. With the compartments all the same size I assumed the side elevation drawing markings were wrong (look like they are hastily hand written on) and that they were all third as per the plan. I've no idea what NSR is? The drawing gives sample numbers for NER.

• Thanks 1

Just now, cctransuk said:

North Sunderland Railway ?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Thanks John,

Could be, especially as the North Stafford's emblem was in the form of a knot. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Just now, Tony Wright said:

Thanks John,

Could be, especially as the North Stafford's emblem was in the form of a knot. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Tony,

I think that the North Sunderland Railway acquired several items of stock from the NER / LNER.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, grahame said:

Yes, I'd noticed that. With the compartments all the same size I assumed the side elevation drawing markings were wrong (look like they are hastily hand written on) and that they were all third as per the plan. I've no idea what NSR is? The drawing gives sample numbers for NER.

Looking at the Interior Layout, all the compartments are marked as Thirds. I'd guess that the NSR upgraded some compartments to Second and First, thereby creating a 1st / 2nd / 3rd composite.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

I think it's the leading vehicle seen here. There's a list of North Sunderland Railway rolling stock here, from which I conclude the drawing shows the NER Diagram 58 third class carriage No. 1980, purchased in 1911. The NSR presumably re-classified three of the compartments as first and second. I wonder if they actually changed the upholstery or whether the idea was simply to provide the appropriate degrees of social separation?

14 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Thanks to all who replied to my question and for all the pictures above, really useful.. I've spent the last hour opening out the holes in the frames to fit the bearings. I've made a start on the opening up the rods to take markits crank pins.

Picture (apologies for the poor lighting in the image) of tender progress. Tool boxes, fire iron rest, brake and scoop standards to be refitted. Then add a little coal.

Rodger 

IMG_0796.JPG

• Like 6

9 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

I like to build things in batches of three - points, coach kits, signals, what have you. Fewer than that and I seem to be hanging around for stuff to happen like glue and paint drying; more than three and I start to get bored.

I recently read David Jenkinson's book on carriage building. He suggests that batch building is a good way not to be tempted to rush things (something I'm prone to). As

you say, it does cut down the hanging around aspect.

I'm going to have a go at Jenkinson's methods soon, once I've obtained some plastic card of the right thicknesses. I tried scratchbuilding a panelled coach in my teens, using

the Jenkinson approach, but it ended up a soggy, warped mess - however I think I might be able to do a better job now.. with the benefit of (some) maturity.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Barry Ten said:

I recently read David Jenkinson's book on carriage building. He suggests that batch building is a good way not to be tempted to rush things (something I'm prone to). As

you say, it does cut down the hanging around aspect.

I'm going to have a go at Jenkinson's methods soon, once I've obtained some plastic card of the right thicknesses. I tried scratchbuilding a panelled coach in my teens, using

the Jenkinson approach, but it ended up a soggy, warped mess - however I think I might be able to do a better job now.. with the benefit of (some) maturity.

David Jenkinson is probably one of the greatest scratch-builders of carriages, ever, Al.

However, I think the title of one of his books describing his methods is a little disingenuous. He uses the word 'easy' in it!

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

I don't think "Carriage Modelling Made Only Slightly Less Difficult" would have gone down well with the sales people...

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 14

3 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

I think it's the leading vehicle seen here. There's a list of North Sunderland Railway rolling stock here, from which I conclude the drawing shows the NER Diagram 58 third class carriage No. 1980, purchased in 1911. The NSR presumably re-classified three of the compartments as first and second. I wonder if they actually changed the upholstery or whether the idea was simply to provide the appropriate degrees of social separation?

Connoisseur did the NER 4 wheelers as 4mm etched kits ( I have one built one) . No longer listed on his current 7mm kits on checking now.

• Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, Barry Ten said:

I don't think "Carriage Modelling Made Only Slightly Less Difficult" would have gone down well with the sales people...

Have a shufty at my carriage bodging thread to see my attempts. Anything is possible and I think with a bit of patience you can do it..... (Ok I cheat a little!)

Andy G

• Like 2

1 hour ago, davefrk said:

The biggest batch I did was four Caley 812 locos

Hi Dave, although completely out of my modelling scope, I always had a soft spot for Caley and NB locomotives with the 812 and J36s my favourites. The one in lined Caledonian Blue looks an absolute treat!

3 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

The Nu-Cast B16/3 is now complete

Another beauty, Tony!

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

Jesse arrived safely yesterday, and already we've done some modelling!

I'll post shots as we go...............................................

• Like 10

Hi Tony, 

The balance weights for the B16 Markits sell them with their wheel sets .

Dennis 

• Thanks 1

On 20/11/2019 at 02:02, Clem said:

Hi Dave, although completely out of my modelling scope, I always had a soft spot for Caley and NB locomotives with the 812 and J36s my favourites. The one in lined Caledonian Blue looks an absolute treat!

Another beauty, Tony!

The preserved Scottish locomotives all look impressive in their various liveries.  I particularly like Gordon Highlander, but the Caledonian blue must have been a sight for sore eyes in pre-Grouping days.

On 18/07/2017 at 21:00, Tony Wright said:

Thanks David,

You might well be right. 

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_07_2017/post-18225-0-12519400-1500407948.jpg

Here's the southbound service on the same day. All we need now is for someone to tell us whether the 28th of August 1960 was a Saturday or not. 

Note the Thompson car towards the rear of the train still in carmine and cream. 

Hi Tony, the 28th August 1960 was a Sunday. I'm rereading Wright writes whilst layoutless. Hope this information helps. I know you asked the question ages ago.

Edited by davidw
Ammendment
  • Thanks 1

As a thread for builders. Having scanned the list of traders at Warley none jumped out as a supplier of romford wheels. Does anyone know one which might supply them there. I am looking to wheel my B3 kit.

many thanks

richard.

35 minutes ago, richard i said:

As a thread for builders. Having scanned the list of traders at Warley none jumped out as a supplier of romford wheels. Does anyone know one which might supply them there. I am looking to wheel my B3 kit.

many thanks

richard.

Branchlines, possibly?

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1