Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Tony Wright

Wright writes.....

1 hour ago, grahame said:

Ah, the ol' vac formed kit. I've made a few of them although you don't see them so much these days. They're redolent of the 'garage' kit industry for small runs and often sci-fi subjects. The parts are all 'bumps' on a large sheet of plastic that need cutting out. Having cut around them to release them, their joining/mating edge needs filing flat which is best done on a sheet of fine sandpaper taped/stuck to a flat piece of wood/board.

Here's an unfinished one of a Comet Miniatures Fireball XL5 I started some time ago. It was quite a multi-media kit with mainly vac formed parts, some white metal castings, transfers and a few other bits - unfortunately I can't find the box with them in to finish it.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_2019_11/DSC_8467.JPG.a7278d0d596e4f6dd1811d64c86e96d3.JPG

Very much up my street, Grahame - I do hope you manage to finish it!

I have a Fireflash to build one of these days.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, grahame said:

Progress is slow on the N/2mm generic oldie 4-wheel coaches. I've got all the handrails/grabs (that I'm replacing with wire) in place and the roof lamps and vents (which are damn small) fitted this morning. They are starting to look a little like the drawing I posted earlier. Next is to order some buffers and brake hoses although I suspect with most suppliers at Warley it may take a while for them to turn up. And then to fiddle with the chassis.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_2019_11/DSC_8468.JPG.266d7f01b1e63240862adfcba1d231b3.JPG

Would it be worth thinning down the coach roof ends a bit Grahame, effectively bevelling the curves?  The roof detail make a tremendous difference. 

Tim

20 minutes ago, CF MRC said:

Would it be worth thinning down the coach roof ends a bit Grahame, effectively bevelling the curves?  The roof detail make a tremendous difference. 

That's a good idea. I'll have a bash at it, testing out firstly on one of the two damaged spares I've got as the plastic is very brittle and breaks easily.

As far as interlocking is concerned, the new (ish) leverframe etch now available through scalefour stores looks fascinating if thats what floats your boat.:victory:  I can't make out if it floats mine yet! Maybe for a very simple set up such as would have operated at Monsaldale ... we will have to see. :unknw_mini: Have to admit that at the moment the complexity blows my mind :blink:

post-6879-0-31384300-1537645639.jpg.f6fffb95a378d78f5d37c2589736bf45.jpg

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Nice to say a brief hello to Tony and Jesse. Also had a lesson in quartering with Mike Edge.

Cleaned out Shawplan on 2D TSO glazing.

And some good advice on casting with Graeme.

I was the lump with a crutch (damaged vertebra from a fall and a weak ankle from a break).

As to the layouts, to be honest not overly impressed for multiple reasons.

Reason 1, a few train sets.

Reason 2, a few reasonable scenic layouts where someone has vomited various RTR stock on to it.

Reason 3, I could not get near quite a few, got near enough to some.

Reason 4, trains, yes they had one occasionally.

Reason 5, hand of god, seemed pretty common.

Reason 6, lovely layouts, but just did little for me, little running, not much to do.

Reason 7, small layouts with tons of viewers.

To be honest I gave up after a while, I missed some I wanted to see.

Any layout operators unhappy, were you so blocked I could not get to see?

• Friendly/supportive 1

7 hours ago, grahame said:

Ah, the ol' vac formed kit. I've made a few of them although you don't see them so much these days. They're redolent of the 'garage' kit industry for small runs and often sci-fi subjects. The parts are all 'bumps' on a large sheet of plastic that need cutting out. Having cut around them to release them, their joining/mating edge needs filing flat which is best done on a sheet of fine sandpaper taped/stuck to a flat piece of wood/board.

Here's an unfinished one of a Comet Miniatures Fireball XL5 I started some time ago. It was quite a multi-media kit with mainly vac formed parts, some white metal castings, transfers and a few other bits - unfortunately I can't find the box with them in to finish it.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_2019_11/DSC_8467.JPG.a7278d0d596e4f6dd1811d64c86e96d3.JPG

The things that come up on Wright Writes! I was crazy about Fireball XL5 when I was little. I made a plastic kit at the time but goodness knows what happened to it!

Can't resist posting this - well it's got to be better than the latest sound equipped RTR diesel at Warley! ;) 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, TrevorP1 said:

I was crazy about Fireball XL5 when I was little. I made a plastic kit at the time ...

You had to collect Lyons Maid (?) Fireball XL5 ice lolly wrappers to get the kit. Received wisdom was that it was produced by Kitmaster.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

Great to meet Tony, Mo and Jesse today.  Definitely a highlight, my abiding memory of the day overall is however summed up by this:

002AEB4D-FBFA-42D4-894A-97FD246AA8AE.jpeg.948c5c820c75963b449d341b928d7f3c.jpeg

I didn’t feel that there was as much 4mm this year, there seemed to be rather more narrow gauge, O gauge and US/continental stuff than usual.  A couple of nice characterful layouts that did catch my attention, Norwich Central:

8147CE45-93FF-47FE-9EA4-DA448541B079.jpeg.3562bf32954595dae0089ab9fb01d955.jpeg

Blackfriars Bridge in P4:

61D934C6-C86C-4718-AB7E-BA1865412538.jpeg.ff474761c42a3e93b1dd897056bbf505.jpeg

And a nice O gauge layout called Kimble, unfortunately the photo won’t upload.

Warley is always worth a visit, but the long trek from the car park, £17.50 entry price (plus another £16 for parking) and endless traipsing round the huge hall do make for a tiring and expensive day out.

• Like 9
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

You had to collect Lyons Maid (?) Fireball XL5 ice lolly wrappers to get the kit.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Ah yes! I can remember the kit didn't come from the shops. Also I was amazed when the instructions showed to paint the tail red and yellow. TV was only black and white of course and rockets were silver weren't they...? Happy Days!

In all seriousness it was a great time to be a child interested in science while the 'space race' was on; Mercury, Gemini, Apollo (moon landing in the science lessons at school). I still read about those times and have just finished Michael Collins excellent book. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Presumably there was a similar promotion with Nabisco Foods for Kitmaster kits? I have a "Deltic" which mentions them on the instruction leaflet?

If you could get Dapol/Parkside kits this way now, I'd eat breakfast cereal three times a day....

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 5

55 minutes ago, Chamby said:

Great to meet Tony, Mo and Jesse today.  Definitely a highlight, my abiding memory of the day overall is however summed up by this:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_2019_11/002AEB4D-FBFA-42D4-894A-97FD246AA8AE.jpeg.948c5c820c75963b449d341b928d7f3c.jpeg

I didn’t feel that there was as much 4mm this year, there seemed to be rather more narrow gauge, O gauge and US/continental stuff than usual.  A couple of nice characterful layouts that did catch my attention, Norwich Central:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_2019_11/8147CE45-93FF-47FE-9EA4-DA448541B079.jpeg.3562bf32954595dae0089ab9fb01d955.jpeg

Blackfriars Bridge in P4:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_2019_11/61D934C6-C86C-4718-AB7E-BA1865412538.jpeg.ff474761c42a3e93b1dd897056bbf505.jpeg

And a nice O gauge layout called Kimble, unfortunately the photo won’t upload.

Warley is always worth a visit, but the long trek from the car park, £17.50 entry price (plus another £16 for parking) and endless traipsing round the huge hall do make for a tiring and expensive day out.

Blackfriars Bridge is one I go to the far end of, nicely modelled but I can see it better in this picture.

About a decade ago it was easier to see the layouts and chat to the exhibitors.

• Like 1

NBR Developments NBR D 35B Brake van on the go , now ready for painting, roof and w irons not fixed dwon in photos. NIce little kit which has gone together well.

fullsizeoutput_2d6a.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_2d6b.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_2d6c.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_2d6d.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

9 hours ago, James Fitzjames said:

Is the SEF revival in the pipeline, or is it just there to be revived? I would find the former pretty exciting...

James, the revival of the Nu-cast range is well under way in conjunction with Branchlines as NuCast Partners.  I don't think everything is going to re-appear, but there's quite a few already done.  There is a thread at 

and the latest list is:-

Nucast2019.jpg.c43badf2fe8650801668bd167736952f.jpg

Alan

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

7 hours ago, Lecorbusier said:

As far as interlocking is concerned, the new (ish) leverframe etch now available through scalefour stores looks fascinating if thats what floats your boat.https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/emoticons/default_victory.gif  I can't make out if it floats mine yet! Maybe for a very simple set up such as would have operated at Monsaldale ... we will have to see. https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/emoticons/default_unknw_mini.gif Have to admit that at the moment the complexity blows my mind https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/emoticons/default_blink.png

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_2019_11/post-6879-0-31384300-1537645639.jpg.f6fffb95a378d78f5d37c2589736bf45.jpg

Tim, yes there is complexity but some of that arises from size. A lot of what you are seeing there is the same basic configuration repeated dozens of times. Start small and work up!

To be clear, this is not to take away anything from Howard Bolton's skills. IMHO he is probably the best in this field at the moment - his work can be seen on this thread among others:

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Northmoor said:

Presumably there was a similar promotion with Nabisco Foods for Kitmaster kits? I have a "Deltic" which mentions them on the instruction leaflet?

If you could get Dapol/Parkside kits this way now, I'd eat breakfast cereal three times a day....

Yes, Shredded Wheat. I didn't (still don't) like the stuff but put up with it long enough to get a Deltic...

• Funny 3

16 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Yes, Shredded Wheat. I didn't (still don't) like the stuff but put up with it long enough to get a Deltic...

It was Shreaded Wheat boxes that got me in to modelling c1957, I cut them up and made them in to houses for my Hornby Dublo 3 Rail.

• Like 4
  • Funny 1

3 hours ago, Buhar said:

James, the revival of the Nu-cast range is well under way in conjunction with Branchlines as NuCast Partners.  I don't think everything is going to re-appear, but there's quite a few already done.  There is a thread at 

and the latest list is:-

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_2019_11/Nucast2019.jpg.c43badf2fe8650801668bd167736952f.jpg

Alan

Brilliant, thank you Alan! 'Sentinel Railcar': my joy is deep:D

Edited by James Fitzjames
Addition
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Northmoor said:

And around 1970 Kellogs did a set of early motor cars in around 1:76 scale.  

• Informative/Useful 1

And if you are after anything from the old Nu-cast range, give Dave at SEF a call and if he can he will spin you the kit (quite a few ex Nu-cast, ex Sutherland HR wee Bens have been done recently... ;-] )

Also on the Frame front, Frank Roomes' Lutton had a fully interlocked frame that was a pleasure to use, along with proper block instruments. It was used to train Sappers, and as Frank was an MOT Railway Inspector it all had to work properly (I even recall very small token pouches).. That really introduced me to a railway that worked as it should and what a joy it was to operate.

Andy G

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2