Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Tony Wright

Wright writes.....

2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

A rather nice post-War apple green B1 (in B&W, naturally).Would anyone adorn a B1 model like this?

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_2019_12/326408382_6111901.jpg.a373820b66ee60b1ce33980ce46ebbd6.jpg

Does anyone know the occasion, please? Or where? The electric warning flashes suggest post-'61. 

Please observe copyright restrictions.

I'm going to have fun writing the books! 

Looks like a wagon-lift coaling stage on the left edge of the picture?   31B March had that style of yard lamp and 61119 was based there from September ‘62.  

?

• Agree 1

so .... what colours would there actually have been in this image?

61010_1950_York_small.jpg.bad8bf5be1ed3eed02dbda69563902b5.jpg.40063da9a7259434ce6cbcebea2fdc6c.jpg

Obviously the loco will be a vibrant splash of green. Presumably the station canopy edging will be grimy cream? .... not sure about the columns - would they have been cream with a green base? Then we have the tracks which I hazard would have a degree of orange rust, coupled to whatever the local ballast colour might be. The signals themselves will add to the variety ... and then we have the shed/warehouse in the background - presumably a deep industrial red of sorts? The variation of tone suggests quite a richness. And finally, given the reasonably strong shadows I suspect the sky is blue coupled to a warm sunny hue on what it touches.

A very evocative black and white photo to be sure ... but perhaps not a wholly true representation of the reality? I would love to see a skilful model of the same scene to fill in the blanks.

I love films like this....

And it must have been even more vibrant pre war I assume.

Edited by Lecorbusier
  • Like 8

10 minutes ago, Lecorbusier said:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_2019_12/61010_1950_York_small.jpg.bad8bf5be1ed3eed02dbda69563902b5.jpg.40063da9a7259434ce6cbcebea2fdc6c.jpg

Obviously the loco will be a vibrant splash of green. Presumably the station canopy edging will be grimy cream? .... not sure about the columns - would they have been cream with a green base? Then we have the tracks which I hazard would have a degree of orange rust, coupled to whatever the local ballast colour might be. The signals themselves will add to the variety ... and then we have the shed/warehouse in the background - presumably a deep industrial red of sorts? The variation of tone suggests quite a richness. And finally, given the reasonably strong shadows I suspect the sky is blue coupled to a warm sunny hue on what it touches.

A very evocative black and white photo to be sure ... but perhaps not a wholly true representation of the reality? I would love to see a skilful model of the same scene to fill in the blanks.

Or it could be colored in as a photo. If I have time I might give it a bash. It looks so sharp and has a great composition.

richard

unless someone else beats me to it. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Lecorbusier said:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_2019_12/61010_1950_York_small.jpg.bad8bf5be1ed3eed02dbda69563902b5.jpg.40063da9a7259434ce6cbcebea2fdc6c.jpg

... and then we have the shed/warehouse in the background - presumably a deep industrial red of sorts? The variation of tone suggests quite a richness. 

York bricks were generally on the pink (lighter coloured ones) through to brown rather than a rich red found elsewhere.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

10 hours ago, TrevorP1 said:

On a positive note at the same show I bought a copy of 'Western Ways' containing photos by R C Riley. There are long informative captions which seem well researched. There may well be the odd error but I certainly haven't spotted one. The series, published by Transport Treasury,  is well worth keeping an eye on. No connection,  just a satisfied reader.

I'm another very satisfied reader of this series, with no connection.  The second volume, 'Somerset & Dorset' is very good too, while the third, 'Southern Medley' (which I've just finished today) features Mike King's hugely informative caption writing.  This volume also includes some wonderful images of everyday details of the past railway scene that are too often overlooked by photographers and publishers but are so coveted by us modellers. 

Pete T.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

A rather nice post-War apple green B1 (in B&W, naturally). 

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_2019_12/61010_1950_York_small.jpg.bad8bf5be1ed3eed02dbda69563902b5.jpg

61160 at York in 1950. This would have been a repaint, after the loco first appeared in black. 

61010 in your photo is an oddity in that it received an A2/1 tender when built and is shown with that same tender. Note the raised strip on the tender side visible above the lining.

Simon

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lecorbusier said:

I love films like this....

And it must have been even more vibrant pre war I assume.

Thank you for posting that piece of film. Very interesting. 

Linking this to an earlier topic, the 45xx on the Looe branch carries an apparent light engine head code. Since the earlier discussion I’ve seen this in other photos. Presumably then this must have been a Cornish thing? ( My apologies if this has been established already and I’ve been asleep and missed it!)

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, grahame said:

I'll interject for the last time with regards to updating some generic N/2mm 4-wheel coaches with a quick pic I've taken of them at their latest current stage. The loco is a white metal Thameshead Models kit-built BR 97xx condensing pannier tank - it's probably the only small steamy one I've got. It's not really my bag so I'm a little out of my comfort zone but at least the whole train is a modelling project rather than simply emptied out of a box. 

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_2019_12/DSC_8723.JPG.e8dad4ada8ead4719633d6630b772e0e.JPG

Nice work, Grahame. I've enjoyed seeing these carriages come along. Does this train fit into a layout project of yours, or is just a bit of fun modelling for the sake of it?

Interestingly, the apple green B1 pictured earlier carries no lamp, but a disc. Much more of a GE-section thing, yet it's deep in NE territory. It was never shedded anywhere but Hull, so is unlikely to be bound (eventually) for East Anglia. 

It's in forward gear and I imagine it's on a shunting move within station limits, so as long as lamps/discs were displayed at front and rear then it was accepted.

Thompson certainly favoured discs (though the LMS lines on which some of his locos ran did not), and the B1 has electric lighting. I don't think I've seen discs on locos before at York, but I'll have a look through my photos. 

I think there was a very short period after the War when the LNER seemed to be adopting headcode discs universally; some of the early Thompson Pacifics had fixed ones hinged at the base for a little while - I wonder whether it's anything to do with that?

7 hours ago, micklner said:

My Hornby B1 a simple renumber and name job, this was the only Apple Green named B1 I found a photo off, that matched the Hornby configuration. Lovely Loco well done Hornby.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_10_2016/post-7186-0-27269500-1476453683.jpghttps://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_10_2016/post-7186-0-38898100-1476453698.jpg

Evening Mick,

are you sure about that?

1 hour ago, Barry Ten said:

Nice work, Grahame. I've enjoyed seeing these carriages come along. Does this train fit into a layout project of yours, or is just a bit of fun modelling for the sake of it?

Thanks. It's just a bit of modeling enjoyment. I've had the old coaches and some of the parts for a while so it was opportune to use them, although not being a subject that is of great interest to me or fits a layout, my enthusiasm for it has waned a little. But I've perservered.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Headstock said:

Evening Mick,

are you sure about that?

Morning

??

This the only photo I had to work from.

LNER B1.jpg

• Like 2

Random I Know .... and nothing to do with anything .... but ....

Edited by Lecorbusier
  • Like 5

9 hours ago, 31A said:

I think there was a very short period after the War when the LNER seemed to be adopting headcode discs universally; some of the early Thompson Pacifics had fixed ones hinged at the base for a little while - I wonder whether it's anything to do with that?

It could well be Steve,

I assume it was confined to those locos fitted with electric lighting. I can't find any shots (immediately) showing Gresley Pacifics carrying discs immediately post-War. I'll look more closely.

Regards,

Tony. 

31 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

It could well be Steve,

I assume it was confined to those locos fitted with electric lighting. I can't find any shots (immediately) showing Gresley Pacifics carrying discs immediately post-War. I'll look more closely.

Regards,

Tony. 

The only Thompson Pacific that I am aware off with folding discs, was Great Northern when first rebuilt in GER Blue. They didnt last long and appeared to gone before it was repainted into Apple Green. Never seen any photos of any other Thompson Pacific with discs.

Did'nt it get failed by a signalman, when it tried to run again when first built,  without oil lamps as well ?

I have also never seen a photo of a Gresley Pacific displaying Discs.

Edited by micklner

33 minutes ago, micklner said:

The only Thompson Pacific that I am aware off with folding discs, was Great Northern when first rebuilt in GER Blue. They didnt last long and appeared to gone before it was repainted into Apple Green. Never seen any photos of any other Thompson Pacific with discs.

Did'nt it get failed by a signalman, when it tried to run again when first built,  without oil lamps as well ?

I have also never seen a photo of a Gresley Pacific displaying Discs.

Fig.221 of the RCTS 'green series', Part 2A, shows A2/1 No. 3698 displaying hinged discs. Three of the class were fitted with them originally.

Thompson apparently took exception (he took exception to many things!) to the way enginemen badly treated loco lamps, and the discs were (one supposes) a reaction to this; less likely to be damaged. However, the hinged discs got bashed even more because they were permanently in place, and were then replaced by plain discs, which were then eventually discarded. 

I believe it was an LMS signalman (in the Leeds area? I can't recall where I've read this) who refused to let an A2/1 run past his 'box because the loco was not displaying correct lamps (LNER locos having running rights), only discs. Nobody in authority had informed the LMS about this.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Informative/Useful 2

17 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

A rather nice post-War apple green B1 (in B&W, naturally). 

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_2019_12/61010_1950_York_small.jpg.bad8bf5be1ed3eed02dbda69563902b5.jpg

61160 at York in 1950. This would have been a repaint, after the loco first appeared in black. 

Would anyone adorn a B1 model like this?

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_2019_12/326408382_6111901.jpg.a373820b66ee60b1ce33980ce46ebbd6.jpg

Does anyone know the occasion, please? Or where? The electric warning flashes suggest post-'61. 

Please observe copyright restrictions.

I'm going to have fun writing the books! 

Rather late on the scene however 61119 was shedded @ 

30F Parkeston Quay  24/05/1959 until 14/06/1959
30A Stratford   from14/06/1959 until  16/09/1962
31B March  from16/09/1962 where it was withdrawn on 25/11/1963.

Knowing  Stratford's history for Union Jacks etc. That looks relevant.

4 hours ago, Lecorbusier said:

Random I Know .... and nothing to do with anything .... but ....

I liked this seen some of the locos, Pendennis Castle at Bulmers (with Flying Scotsman AFAIR) when I was very small.

Will admit to 08 hunting to see if I recognised any.

18 minutes ago, grahame said:

This morning I've been fiddling around with buildings. I have mocked up temporary view looking north up Borough High Street towards London Bridge using some of the buildings I've made to get an idea of how it will look. The roads, pavement and bridge are just rectangles of grey card. The vast majority of the buildings are incomplete and some aspects are only temporary card place-holders. There are structures to be straightened up and final positions established, as well details added. So still a lot to do.

Nice job Grahame, so far I cannot tell the scale, I am presuming 2mm again but you have to look hard.

Thanks, and yep, N/2mm.

One of the big issues is finding suitable 1:148 scale road vehicles, particularly buses for the period and location. There are no RTP (or kit) 1:148 Daimler Fleetline DMSs, MCW Metrobuses, Leyland Titan B15s, Leyland Nationals, Leyland Olympians, AEC Merlin/Swift Red Arrows or even a decent AEC Routemaster - the ODC version is now dated, inaccurate and rather clunky and isn’t available in the common RML version. All the vehicles in the pic have been bashed and painted - most are 3D printed models which require quite a bit of work.

The same goes for suitable trains - mainly EMUs. In RTR there's only the 4CEP but it is the early un-refurbished version which probably wasn't the best choice for Farish to start with although they are having a second bash with the Thameslink class 319 although that seems possibly a jump too far forward. However at least being dual voltage it should appeal to a greater modelling area. I'm surprised they haven't learnt from and shrunk some of their OO/4mm offerings. 

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, micklner said:

Afternoon Mick,

I have a high res version of this image, it is of B1 1016 Inyala not 1037. Tony may find the elaborate lining of the frames and the lower patform above the buffer beam of interes for his book.

5 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

It could well be Steve,

Regards,

Tony. 

Afternoon Tony,

discs were used somewhat intermittently on the GC section. A quick browse through of photographs and other images reveals B1's on the Manchester Marylebone expresses and  A3 60052 Prince Palatine in the Master Cutler. The latter loco in BR blue, which would date it to 1949 at the earliest, most of the other images are earlier. Bulleid pacific 34006 used discs, on at least one occassion, while working the Manchester expresses during the interchange trials.

Re the folding fixed Thompson discs. They would blow up or fall over on route, thus altering an express into a through mineral train as an example.

Edited by Headstock
add info
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3