Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, micklner said:

I have the current Hornby Railroad version of the LNER D49 with the improved chassis, this came with traction tyres. As I wanted Lined out wheels they were replaced with normal Hornby wheels. I added a tiny bit of lead to the body , it now  pulls Five Hornby LNER Suburban Coaches without problem, I tried Six and it just spun the wheels. Five is luckily more than enough for me.

Without seeing the Bachmann tank you would presume there is space in the tanks for lead, the only problem is compromising the balance as its the dreaded 0-4-4 set up.

Mick,with a diecast chassis it should be ok. Traction tyres will not change the need to balance the locomotive.

My Jidenco Stanier 0-4-4T is capable of pulling its two coach pull & push set on Chapel en le Frith..that willdo for me!

Baz

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Barry O said:

I wonder why the new 0-4-4T needs traction tyres? If it can pull a pull & push coach with an extra non corridor coach then it will be fine. 

Both of my Craftsman 0-4-4t can manage  a 2 coach set without traction tyres..I would think think Bachmann one will be a lot heavier than both of mine

Baz

Good morning Baz,

'If it can pull a pull & push coach with an extra non corridor coach then it will be fine.'

In a 'perfect' world, yes. But many (very many?) model railways (or train sets - please note two words) are far from perfect, especially with regard to track-laying.

However well an RTR manufacturer makes his/her locos (in every scale), he/she cannot legislate for the 'road' they're going to run on. That's one of the reasons why RTR big steam-outline locos in OO have so much slop in their driven axles; in order to negotiate tight radii. It's also one of the reasons I don't use them (though the front cover of the latest RM has a modified Hornby A4 on it! Modified by taking out the slop between the frames and the drivers [by using slit Peco one eight washers, pushed over the axles], replacing the bogie wheels, close-coupling the loco to tender and getting Ian Rathbone to paint it). Strange, in a way, out of all the pictures of A4s I sent, the RTR one was used on the cover (a good picture?) - the only RTR A4 I have, out of 15 to choose from! 

Carrying on, that wee 1P has to negotiate 1st radius set-track (with no transition from the straight). What's that in inches? Not only that, it's expected to climb a 14% incline (I think that's what I've been told), straight from the flat! All that, and haul carriages as well. And there's no guarantee that the track will have been well-laid.  

Regards,

Tony. 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Mick,with a diecast chassis it should be ok. Traction tyres will not change the need to balance the locomotive.

My Jidenco Stanier 0-4-4T is capable of pulling its two coach pull & push set on Chapel en le Frith..that willdo for me!

Baz

Just as an aside I have photos of the Leeds based 0-4-4T's hauling 5 and 6 coach trains out on the Morecambe Line, usually including one of the 5 coach close coupled sets that worked the Aire Valley commuter lines.  Those managed to have 3 different builders and underframe lengths within the sets. It must have been a long journey back from Morecambe after a day out in compartment stock with no loos.

Jamie

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Having looked at Tony's photographs the chimney has to go..it just is not right...a not uncommon occurence in RTR land!

Baz

Baz,

But I've already said that one of the chimneys is the wrong one. 

It's a first decorated sample, and either the wrong chimney was put on, or, more likely, the wrong livery was applied. I don't know. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• RMweb Premium

You could change the livery as much as you like the chimney is too tall....

And could Bachmann supply non traction tyred wheelsets at a cost for those of us who do not want a locomotive to go round "Radius 1" curves and travel up the odd mountain??

Baz

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Sir Fredrick Stokes who whilst at Ransomes and Rapier invented the weight relieving bogies which most cranes over 45 ton had.

Always referred to on the Southern (possibly elsewhere too) as Stokes bogies. Or should that be Stokes' bogies?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Always referred to on the Southern (possibly elsewhere too) as Stokes bogies. Or should that be Stokes' bogies?

Pronounced Stokes or Stokeses?

For the Stockton & Darlington, William Bouch, brother of Tay Bridge Thomas, built Ginx's Babies, which I've always supposed to be pronounced "jinkses" though who Ginx was I do not know.

image.png

Edit: I don't think the photo is of one. I think it's one of the earlier and less jinxed 7' Saltburn class.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, APOLLO said:

What an absolutely beautiful  locomotive, and this comes from an O scale American railroad modeller who loves plug ugly Yank diesels !!!!

Last Saturday I went with family on a shopping expedition to Liverpool. The train out was a brand new 331 EMU, a nice looking train but the seats as hard as nails, as was the riding quality over rough track. Coming home at Lime St I closely observed the new Trans Pennine loco hauled Scarborough train, a new something or other diesel electric loco an a new push pull coach set. Coaches looked nice and comfortable, loco looked quite swish & modern but oh !!  what a noise it made. I could hear the noisy bu**er idling when passing through the ticket barriers. Some young uns were photographing it at the end of the platform. Good to see young spotters these days. Brand new locos on brand new push pull coaches - who would have thought that a few years ago !! Anyway home to Wigan on an ancient 319 EMU, swift(ish) quiet and comfortable.

Our railways are getting a bit more interesting these days, but oh for a trip behind locos such as the above !!!

Brit15

'Coming home at Lime St I closely observed the new Trans Pennine loco hauled Scarborough train, a new something or other diesel electric loco an a new push pull coach set. Coaches looked nice and comfortable, loco looked quite swish & modern'

I think this is what you saw.................

262911165_6801.jpg.3ed42f6801afcb57386a2f5159ec2525.jpg

2091597552_6802.jpg.e0e787f13c21295ec8505a22ce62e956.jpg

19493650_6803.jpg.2e3f81ca349dbb7484f120519a0fe6f9.jpg

68_04.jpg.f24dd7a7ef825cada21d891e22498dfc.jpg

1382330787_6805.jpg.5a861d25f2f038e2980d320734bf2078.jpg

2044654103_6806.jpg.c9c245cb3c25ebea0fc0882ecf5a4409.jpg

454930816_6807.jpg.8afe7066f68eb357f4137c29f4bc3940.jpg

Taken at York on the 15th of October, after I'd been invited to the announcement about the Wainwright D. Entering, stationary and departing..................

I have to say I'm ambivalent about the aesthetics of the above. 

1383613602_WainwrightD01.jpg.7bffa47e4bb1ef5e34eb99f889cd50a8.jpg

I have no ambivalence about the aesthetics of the Wainwright D. Surely one of the most beautiful locos of all time, with a (complex) livery to match. A livery which complements the forms to which it's applied, not something which looks like 'dazzle' camouflage! 

Speaking of aesthetics............................

1199407028_Azuma02.jpg.85a51154bb5340858558be605746a7b0.jpg

I'm not sure about this.

Taking this picture, my mind's eye went back to the first time I was at York, as a ten year old, 63 years ago.

Back then, I saw the likes of this........................1463581254_60006York1952.jpg.8e8ae601c371965bb6fb8405c9ca4560.jpg

Granted, this is about three/four years prior to 1956, but it's apposite. Aesthetics here? Indeed!

Note the 'spotters to the left - boys. There was none in October. Just old git 'spotters like me! 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

38 minutes ago, Barry O said:

You could change the livery as much as you like the chimney is too tall....

And could Bachmann supply non traction tyred wheelsets at a cost for those of us who do not want a locomotive to go round "Radius 1" curves and travel up the odd mountain??

Baz

'And could Bachmann supply non traction tyred wheelsets at a cost for those of us who do not want a locomotive to go round "Radius 1" curves and travel up the odd mountain??

Baz'

I don't think their main market is you, Baz.

You can make your own.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

'And could Bachmann supply non traction tyred wheelsets at a cost for those of us who do not want a locomotive to go round "Radius 1" curves and travel up the odd mountain??

Baz'

I don't think their main market is you, Baz.

You can make your own.

Regards,

Tony. 

Conductive metal fillers are available - same style as Milliput. Pull the traction tyres out and fill the grooves.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

I'm not sure about this.

Taking this picture, my mind's eye went back to the first time I was at York, as a ten year old, 63 years ago.

Back then, I saw the likes of this........................1463581254_60006York1952.jpg.8e8ae601c371965bb6fb8405c9ca4560.jpg

Granted, this is about three/four years prior to 1956, but it's apposite. Aesthetics here? Indeed!

Note the 'spotters to the left - boys. There was none in October. Just old git 'spotters like me! 

Regards,

Tony. 

I was struck by the similarity of the Azuma (class 800) and the Bugatti loco (A4?) front ends. Bung a funnel on top, stick a few buffers on the front and paint it a dull grey livery and it's a dead ringer.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, grahame said:

I was struck by the similarity of the Azuma (class 800) and the Bugatti loco (A4?) front ends. Bung a funnel on top, stick a few buffers on the front and paint it a dull grey livery and it's a dead ringer.

Looking at those modern traction pictures and all I can say is that Kenneth Grange got his styling right.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

'Coming home at Lime St I closely observed the new Trans Pennine loco hauled Scarborough train, a new something or other diesel electric loco an a new push pull coach set. Coaches looked nice and comfortable, loco looked quite swish & modern'

I think this is what you saw.................

262911165_6801.jpg.3ed42f6801afcb57386a2f5159ec2525.jpg

2091597552_6802.jpg.e0e787f13c21295ec8505a22ce62e956.jpg

19493650_6803.jpg.2e3f81ca349dbb7484f120519a0fe6f9.jpg

68_04.jpg.f24dd7a7ef825cada21d891e22498dfc.jpg

1382330787_6805.jpg.5a861d25f2f038e2980d320734bf2078.jpg

2044654103_6806.jpg.c9c245cb3c25ebea0fc0882ecf5a4409.jpg

454930816_6807.jpg.8afe7066f68eb357f4137c29f4bc3940.jpg

Taken at York on the 15th of October, after I'd been invited to the announcement about the Wainwright D. Entering, stationary and departing..................

I have to say I'm ambivalent about the aesthetics of the above. 

1383613602_WainwrightD01.jpg.7bffa47e4bb1ef5e34eb99f889cd50a8.jpg

I have no ambivalence about the aesthetics of the Wainwright D. Surely one of the most beautiful locos of all time, with a (complex) livery to match. A livery which complements the forms to which it's applied, not something which looks like 'dazzle' camouflage! 

I'm not sure about this.

Regards,

Tony. 

Put a Belpaire firebox on the Wainwright D and it could pass as a close cousin of the 11B I posted earlier. Superb elegance and artistry. Even in later days, with simplified and less exciting livery, it would still have shown those lovely lines and shapes.

Whereas the Class 68 will always be ugly!

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

Put a Belpaire firebox on the Wainwright D and it could pass as a close cousin of the 11B I posted earlier. Superb elegance and artistry. Even in later days, with simplified and less exciting livery, it would still have shown those lovely lines and shapes.

Whereas the Class 68 will always be ugly!

It's interesting how beauty and artistry is perceived by different people.

I don't see the class 68 as ugly. IMO it's functional and purposeful. And for me the Wainwright looks rather flimsy, fussy and fanciful rather than attractive. But then you can't please all the people, all the time. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, grahame said:

It's interesting how beauty and artistry is perceived by different people.

I don't see the class 68 as ugly. IMO it's functional and purposeful. And for me the Wainwright looks rather flimsy, fussy and fanciful rather than attractive. But then you can't please all the people, all the time. 

If the most exciting description that can be summoned up is functional and purposeful, that is damning with faint praise when it come to how something looks.

Has anybody ever described a Class 68 as "elegant"? That front nose shape looks like a warthog that has run into a wall too fast!

Those old 4-4-0 types were the hard workers of their day, fully capable of working the top link expresses of the time. They managed to be functional, purposeful and beautiful all at the same time.

There is no comparison in the looks department. Artistry will always win over functionality.

I am not entirely rooted in the distant past. I thought the Westerns looked fantastic and I loved the way the Deltics looked. Even the HSTs and 91s have or had a bit of style. The 68s have none!

Edited by t-b-g
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

Put a Belpaire firebox on the Wainwright D 

Well, Richard Maunsell and James Clayton did just that but surprise, surprise, it came out looking just like a Derby 2...

8 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

If the most exciting description that can be summoned up is functional and purposeful, that is damning with faint praise when it come to how something looks.

Yes, wasn't that what I said about the Deeley Compounds?

Edited by Compound2632

23 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

Has anybody ever described a Class 68 as "elegant"? That front nose shape looks like a warthog that has run into a wall too fast!

Those old 4-4-0 types were the hard workers of their day, fully capable of working the top link expresses of the time. They managed to be functional, purposeful and beautiful all at the same time.

There is no comparison in the looks department. Artistry will always win over functionality.

I am not entirely rooted in the distant past. I thought the Westerns looked fantastic and I loved the way the Deltics looked. Even the HSTs and 91s have or had a bit of style. The 68s have none!

For me functional and purposeful is exciting. And for me the class 68 has more style than the Wainwright which I don't find elegant. With artistry and style being a very personal and emotive thing I don't think it's a mater of one locos aesthetic design winning out. So there is comparison in the looks department.