Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

1 hour ago, johndon said:

The last scheduled HST in to King's Cross.  Can't help but compare it to the last scheduled Deltic where you couldn't see the platform for the crowds...

I do vaguely wonder if this has more to do with the vastly reduced numbers and popularity of trainspotting as much as anything? The Deltics ran during a vastly different era.

I found this BBC Timeshift programme on the nationalised railways and particularly the modernisation including the APT and HST trains very interesting.

Edited by Lecorbusier
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, Bucoops said:

Computer storage. My method is a little extreme but should hopefully prevent any loss.

My home setup for normal PC use is we have laptops that we then use to "remote desktop" into a server. So nothing is stored on the laptops if they get stolen or break. The server uses disks in RAID 10 - which means that everything is stored twice. If a disk fails, the server still runs. Inserting a replacement disk starts an automatic rebuild. If a second disk fails, depending on which one it is either the server carries on, or if it happens to be the twin of the first  then the server does go down.

Backups: I use software called Veeam. For small numbers of devices to back up it is free. Every night it copies any changes to a second server. From ebay I

bought a tape library. The tapes are about £10 each and the LTO5 tapes hold 1.5TB each. Each tape is rated for 260 full writes and a 30 year archive life.

Each day the latest backup is copied to tape. I then take the tapes into work and bring the oldest one home to be the next set.

Why do I do this? It's a cut-down version of what I do at work (where I have a 15 minute recovery point). Total cost for the servers and tape library and tapes was well under £1000 and allows me the confidence that we shouldn't lose anything more than one days photos etc. 

Finding the on button is an achievement.

I need a lie-down....

• Funny 4

1 hour ago, Lecorbusier said:

I do vaguely wonder if this has more to do with the vastly reduced numbers and popularity of trainspotting as much as anything? The Deltics ran during a vastly different era.

Tim, I suspect that you are right, I was a little surprised at the almost total lack of enthusiasts though...

• RMweb Premium

A quick question for you Tony. I am building a London Road Models K2/2 for my local MR Club. The prototype is 61784. Whilst I am an SR/BRS modeller I am enjoying building one of Mr Gresley's graceful locomotives.

I see that the K2's were both LH and RH drive as far as I can see, 784 was RH drive. I am going by a cab photo of a Scottish K2/2 supplied to me by a fellow modeller which shows the vac brake valve on the RH side. The reversing lever on these locos is fairly well hiddeh behind a cover.

So Tony, can you please confirm my assumptions or is further research necessary? I do already have a good selection of images.

Thanking you in advance,

Richard B

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, johndon said:

Tim, I suspect that you are right, I was a little surprised at the almost total lack of enthusiasts though...

I made a huge effort to go to see the last Deltic run through Doncaster.

The ECML runs right by my house and I made no effort to see the last HST runs. It seems I was not alone.

Perhaps we just have to accept that the modern railway scene just don't fire the enthusiasm in the way they did in older times.

I rarely bother even when a steam special goes by. The high metal security fencing and overhead wires just ruin the view at the places I have always gone to watch the trains go by.

I am much happier in my shed, where it is always 1907!

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, 30368 said:

A quick question for you Tony. I am building a London Road Models K2/2 for my local MR Club. The prototype is 61784. Whilst I am an SR/BRS modeller I am enjoying building one of Mr Gresley's graceful locomotives.

I see that the K2's were both LH and RH drive as far as I can see, 784 was RH drive. I am going by a cab photo of a Scottish K2/2 supplied to me by a fellow modeller which shows the vac brake valve on the RH side. The reversing lever on these locos is fairly well hiddeh behind a cover.

So Tony, can you please confirm my assumptions or is further research necessary? I do already have a good selection of images.

Thanking you in advance,

Richard B

Richard,

As far as I know, all K2s were RH drive.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Took this shot at Cardiff Central on Tuesday at about 16.35; station crowded as it usually is at that time of day but only 4 enthusiasts on plat. 2, which I was rather pleased about being 25% of.  It was chucking it down with rain which probably deterred some folks, and there was a much bigger crowd earlier this year for 'Britannia'.  There didn't seem to be that much of a crowd over on 3 closer to the loco, either.

Trainspotters seem to me to be increasingly middle aged and you just don't see kids doing it anymore.  There were child molesters about in the old days as well, but modern parents seem reluctant to let pre-teen and early teenage kids off the leash on their own.  I understand why, but it's a shame as I learned a lot about personal responsibility, making decisions in dynamic situations, planning, logistics, self reliance, problem solving, and many other lessons that were extremely valuable to me in later life from my spotting expeditions.  It seems unimaginable that a 14 year old would be let loose for a whole weekend on his own around the North of England, but I was, and came to no harm.

IMG_0220.jpg

• Like 14
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, t-b-g said:

I made a huge effort to go to see the last Deltic run through Doncaster.

The ECML runs right by my house and I made no effort to see the last HST runs. It seems I was not alone.

Perhaps we just have to accept that the modern railway scene just don't fire the enthusiasm in the way they did in older times.

I rarely bother even when a steam special goes by. The high metal security fencing and overhead wires just ruin the view at the places I have always gone to watch the trains go by.

I am much happier in my shed, where it is always 1907!

Has the clock stopped then Tony ?

Have a good Xmas.:P

• Funny 3

14 hours ago, t-b-g said:

I never really considered that .... but modern stations and other places are not really user friendly for watching trains. Most concourses are secure with barriers etc dissuading the casual observer, and trains themselves feel much more enclosed and remote somehow. The heritage lines on the other hand allow you to wander along the platform and watch the world go by. Terminus describes a relaxed and accessible railway world which seems a world away now.

The HST was a classic design and a remarkable achievement .... the APT if the plug had not been pulled might also have been ground breaking - I find it interesting that the Pendolinos  make use of similar technology (or so I understand?). But even if you had dedicated tribes of Youthful spotters with little else to fill their time, I find it hard to believe that either would have held the attention long after their original novelty had worn off. Maybe it is because the separate identity of the locomotive and the separate personality of the carriage stock made for a more interesting life?

..... but even if we were catapulted back into the heyday of transporting, I suspect in todays market it would only ever have been niche ... given all the other attractions and entertainments  available.

Edited by Lecorbusier
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

Hi Tony, That lot would take me about 10 years! I have a health situation in the family which is limiting my modelling time at the moment but I'm still getting one or two bits done.

A question for anyone: does anyone make brass strip narrower than 1mm?  I'm looking for 0.7mm x 0.3mm strip. Does anyone make that? (To make supports for the outside step boards of the signal box). I realise that I could simply either use the 1mm strip (but doesn't look right) or put it length ways in a small vice and draw file it. But if available anywhere it would be far simpler. Thanks in advance.

Clem

17 minutes ago, teaky said:

Great modelling as always, Tony.  You've certainly had a productive year.

Thanks Rob,

And thanks also for your little bits and pieces you've made for the layout. They really are appreciated.

I'm very humbled by the fact that so many folk make things for LB, entirely out of the goodness of their own heart. It is a real privilege.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, johndon said:

The last scheduled HST in to King's Cross.  Can't help but compare it to the last scheduled Deltic where you couldn't see the platform for the crowds...

There were a few at Leeds to greet the last LNER HST arrival from Kings Cross. 

https://twitter.com/railexpress/status/1206345169035022336

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, Clem said:

A question for anyone: does anyone make brass strip narrower than 1mm?  I'm looking for 0.7mm x 0.3mm strip. Does anyone make that? (To make supports for the outside step boards of the signal box). I realise that I could simply either use the 1mm strip (but doesn't look right) or put it length ways in a small vice and draw file it. But if available anywhere it would be far simpler. Thanks in advance.

Clem

I got some 0.75mm from Hobby Holidays (not sure whether he's still trading though) but it was nickel silver rather than brass.

If not actually structural, and not needing soldering (I don't know what the rest of your signal box is made of), I sometimes cut thin strip from the metal from which drinks cans are made which I think is aluminium, and can be cut with a modelling knife and glued with Evo Stik.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
52 minutes ago, Clem said:

Hi Tony, That lot would take me about 10 years! I have a health situation in the family which is limiting my modelling time at the moment but I'm still getting one or two bits done.

Clem

Hobby Holidays lists the following:

K21 - NS flat 0.015" x 0.030"       Nickel silver Flat Strip approx 0.015" x 0.030" (0.4 x 0.8mm) approx 305mm (12 inch) long

J21 - NS flat strip 0.010" x 0.030'"    NS flat strip approx 0.010" thick 0.030" wide (0.25mm x 0.75mm) approx 12" lg

There are also various imperial brass sizes available:

http://www.hobbyholidays.co.uk/products.php?cat=67&pg=4

H.H. are due at the Stevenage exhibition on 11/12 Jan 2020

HTH

Edited by polybear

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Lecorbusier said:

A (non-enthusiast) colleague was on the last Southbound from Inverness this weekend and approaching Kings Cross, the guard announced the significance of that particular service, which explained the larger than usual number of photographers on platforms at York, Doncaster etc.

Note that the last Deltic into KX which made the TV News was on the final special, which in the case of the 125, runs this coming weekend.

• Like 2