Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

1 hour ago, Coach bogie said:

So what I have done this year? Not as much as planned. I have built several coaches, mainly by task building, shells in the winter, painting in the summer, finishing in Autumn. Sill a few to finish.

609248448_workbenchlr.jpg.697f7e013994c0ef377e103328fadf41.jpg

Work has somewhat overtaken everything.  Tony will probably appreciate this. My school senior management ‘wellbeing’ initiative to reduce workload and stress, actually added 40% more GCSE students to my roll, much reducing my available time for proper work like making trains.

I still managed to build the SEF/Wills pannier featured previously and a Bulldog from a wreck bought at a show. I converted another Bulldog from a Bachmann Dukedog. Next year's loco project is I a GWR 303 double frame pannier, currently at planning stage being semi – scratchbuilt from various parts, and to complete the few remaing working signals.

735327873_bulldog2lr.jpg.c765354d1aa64f52a697e85353767d52.jpg3417lr.jpg.7b633a46c43f47b2ecba74330877e9a8.jpg

The one that stands out was never in the plan. The MSJWR acquired stock from the Midland. The MSJWR was absorbed by the GWR. I had a call that there was a set of Bedford etches for this brake compo available, which ended up on the workbench. I slotted the build in somewhere and here is the result. It will run with a pair of GWR non corridor clerestories.

1284383362_msjwr1lr.jpg.3af6103a1262cbdc9dd68c7346de129a.jpg

Just finished, and delivered (I hope the paint had dried??), are these two, both from Worsley Works etches. The left one is a D31 from full body etches, and the right a D33 sides/ends only on a Hornby body. A good friend has been nursing his wife and his modelling has all but stalled and she wanted to give him something for his layout at Christmas and I was asked if I could sort something out for her. As I was building the same for me, I batch built a second pair at the same time. Nice way to end the year.

2047147085_dgpairlr.jpg.e1ede5b4a5ac228145be66524c840586.jpg

Merry Christmas and a happy modelling new year to you all.

Mike Wiltshire

Wonderful stuff, Mike,

Thanks for showing us.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Woodcock29 said:

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to Tony and Mo and all readers and participants.

I expect to post some photos of what I've built this year later in the week.

Andrew

Thanks Andrew,

And a very merry Christmas to all our friends down-under.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, dibateg said:

All the locos I build now have working hornblocks and the locos sit on the adjuster screws

Hi Tony, I hope you're keeping well. Funny you should say this. Springing locomotives using this method would be my preferred way of chassis building in 4mm too but there doesn't seem to be the same items available in this scale. (Not strictly true - I have recently bought some Alan Gibson brass horn blocks which, I think, will modify to accept springs and adjuster screws). However, Maygib used to produce these in plastic, complete with screws and springs and I still have a stock of them. *  Tony Wright, please close your ears for the next bit, if you don't want to be horrified. *   What I have done in the past is to build a set of frames (brass) and glue (thixofix) a thin layer of plasticard on the inside surfaces with a number of pins through both layers to give a bit of belt and braces confidence. Using coupling rod jigs I then weld the plastic horn blocks to the inner plastic skin using Butatone. A couple of chassis were done like this over 30 years ago (in P4) and are still going strong. So far I've only done two EM locomotives using this method. For my next loco project, I will try out the Alan Gibson brass ones and I'll let you know the results. Obviously if brass versions of the old Maygib hornblck system were readily available, it'd be a no-brainer for me.

Merry Christmas to you and a Happy New Year!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, gr.king said:

The readily visible results of my 2019 model making endeavours are rather limited, although that doesn't mean that I haven't been doing anything. A lot of boilers and fittings for Robinson B3 locos got cast at the beginning of the year, along with some other parts that somebody had asked me to make. I then did a quick tidy-up job on an old Kirk non-corridor LNER bogie brake coach that I'd had for some time, fitting new bogies, couplings to suit possible use on Grantham, and a more subtle teak finish than the original builder had achieved. I was then daft enough to embark on building, almost from scratch, a model of a 12 wheeled, clerestory roofed East Coast Joint Stock composite restaurant car. That ended up involving a vast amount of fiddly work to create the sides, even if I was able to adapt some resin parts that I could make fairly easily from existing moulds for the ends and for the roof. The search for sufficient information on which to base an "accurate" model also proved to be a much bigger task that I'd ever imagined, some questions in the end having to remain unanswered so that some parts of the model are based on probability, no mater how dubious, or outright conjecture! I even made a rod for my own back by attempting to make the whole interior "right", although precious little of it ends up visible through the old-fashioned drop-light style windows and I now have real doubts about the kind of seats I fitted. They seemed likely to be right at the time, but I keep spotting little bits of new information in places I hadn't previously though to look. Mike Trice, Dave Sutton and CAD-CAM very kindly came to my aid and provided me with a better option for the bogies than either of my original intentions, which were scratch building or use of some LNWR pattern cast whitemetal items (with or without modifications to disguise their origins.

STA71370ms.jpg.1fe9c19543f82c44391980b825a90450.jpg

STA71373ms.jpg.076860e0fc0420bbec2af7d5c81d0d0a.jpg

Having gone to the trouble to make moulds for a number of the parts that were required for that carriage, I eventually decided after recovering from the shock of what it had all involved, that I really ought to try to put copies of the parts to use in the construction of a second vehicle in the same general style, but this time it's going to be a pantry-third, which has so far proceeded with rather less effort and head-scratching. It is a little further on than this picture shows, but I'm now waiting until Christmas is out of the way before embarking on a different method for making the roof this time, one I hope to be easier. Trying to flush-glaze the clerestory sides one pane at a time as I did on the original model might have driven me mad if I hadn't been mad already.

STA71475.JPG.7ef894f0c60fe4258a0bf000d863d70c.JPG

The rest of my modelling time this year seems to have been taken up with yet more mould making and repetitive casting of resin parts, plus participation in four exhibitions - if I haven't forgotten any.

Besides that there's been a lot of cycling, a fantastic holiday in Switzerland, a load of work around the house, garage and garden, a continuing effort to get out of my profession, the great satisfaction and relief of now having both children achieving the highest levels of academic qualification, and (like many I suspect) enough heard of the antics of puerile selfish politicians to create a mixture of fatigue, depression and eventual rage.

Happy Christmas all, and lets hope for a far better and more productive 2020.

This appeared on a Facebook group today......

773016416_GNRDiningCarInterior.jpg.08fb28255873b89255e5ff8e54a1c747.jpg

Is it any help?

The 12 wheeler looks really lovely. My favourite GNR carriages by a mile and the model, with guesswork or not, looks stunning.

Edited by t-b-g
  • Like 11
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Many thanks Tony. That's a lovely picture of the interior of one of the diners with the "other" style of seats, the iron framed oval backed ones, which perhaps ought to be in my carriage instead of the wing-backed upholstered armchairs, although I have not seen any information on the treatment of the ECJS d.79 carriages after the Great War, save for them being cascaded to the areas in the early 20s and probably scrapped by 1936. "Smoking Strictly Prohibited" according to the flowing script inside the eaves of the roof...

As it happens, I already have a copy of that image, or one very much like it, plus another far less clear which seems to show a section of a similar diner with the probable script "Smoking Compartment" at the eaves.

I'm glad you posted the image anyway.

3 hours ago, gr.king said:

The readily visible results of my 2019 model making endeavours are rather limited, although that doesn't mean that I haven't been doing anything. A lot of boilers and fittings for Robinson B3 locos got cast at the beginning of the year, along with some other parts that somebody had asked me to make. I then did a quick tidy-up job on an old Kirk non-corridor LNER bogie brake coach that I'd had for some time, fitting new bogies, couplings to suit possible use on Grantham, and a more subtle teak finish than the original builder had achieved. I was then daft enough to embark on building, almost from scratch, a model of a 12 wheeled, clerestory roofed East Coast Joint Stock composite restaurant car. That ended up involving a vast amount of fiddly work to create the sides, even if I was able to adapt some resin parts that I could make fairly easily from existing moulds for the ends and for the roof. The search for sufficient information on which to base an "accurate" model also proved to be a much bigger task that I'd ever imagined, some questions in the end having to remain unanswered so that some parts of the model are based on probability, no mater how dubious, or outright conjecture! I even made a rod for my own back by attempting to make the whole interior "right", although precious little of it ends up visible through the old-fashioned drop-light style windows and I now have real doubts about the kind of seats I fitted. They seemed likely to be right at the time, but I keep spotting little bits of new information in places I hadn't previously though to look. Mike Trice, Dave Sutton and CAD-CAM very kindly came to my aid and provided me with a better option for the bogies than either of my original intentions, which were scratch building or use of some LNWR pattern cast whitemetal items (with or without modifications to disguise their origins).

STA71370ms.jpg.1fe9c19543f82c44391980b825a90450.jpg

STA71373ms.jpg.076860e0fc0420bbec2af7d5c81d0d0a.jpg

Having gone to the trouble to make moulds for a number of the parts that were required for that carriage, I eventually decided after recovering from the shock of what it had all involved, that I really ought to try to put copies of the parts to use in the construction of a second vehicle in the same general style, but this time it's going to be a pantry-third, which has so far proceeded with rather less effort and head-scratching. It is a little further on than this picture shows, but I'm now waiting until Christmas is out of the way before embarking on a different method for making the roof this time, one I hope to be easier. Trying to flush-glaze the clerestory sides one pane at a time as I did on the original model might have driven me mad if I hadn't been mad already.

STA71475.JPG.7ef894f0c60fe4258a0bf000d863d70c.JPG

The rest of my modelling time this year seems to have been taken up with yet more mould making and repetitive casting of resin parts, plus participation in four exhibitions - if I haven't forgotten any.

Besides that there's been a lot of cycling, a fantastic holiday in Switzerland, a load of work around the house, garage and garden, a continuing effort to get out of my profession, the great satisfaction and relief of now having both children achieving the highest levels of academic qualification, and (like many I suspect) enough heard of the antics of puerile selfish politicians to create a mixture of fatigue, depression and eventual rage.

Happy Christmas all, and lets hope for a far better and more productive 2020.

What a fantastic achievement. 

Just what I mention in my previous post - modelling self-reliance. In spades!

Regards,

Tony. 

1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

.... Larry Goddard {late of this forum} .....

..... and much missed !!

If you look in here, Larry - season's greetings from this fellow 'grumpy old man'.

(If he doesn't, could someone who knows him please pass this on)?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

The cameraman has now climbed down from the bridge to track level to capture three more newcomers this year.

I hope he's got the necessary permit!

Anyway,  a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you all.     No doubt see some of you, including Tony of course, at Stevenage in January.

Alan B

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Those head on photos do look a little odd to me. Perhaps it is because any real photography rarely involves the photographer standing on the tracks! So the view from that position is one we are mostly unfamiliar with. Looking down slightly as if from a bridge, or from the side as if over a fence, seems much more natural than a view standing in the 6ft or the 4ft way with a train approaching.

Just sometimes I see it on a prototype picture and it looks odd to me in that situation too.

Merry Christmas to all who have taken part in, or even just looked at, the best thread on RMWeb!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

With a nod to the latest photography subject theme mentioned, I've just taken this quick snap. The lens is a Nikkor micro 105mm stopped down to f36. The image has just been reduced in pixel terms and is not cropped or any other effects like sharpening or perspective control applied. The camera is a quite old Nikon D7000 so having a DX sensor the crop factor of that will have effectively increased the focal length. The model is about 20 inches long, N/2mm scale and placed at about 45 degrees to the camera plane:

DSC_8911reda.jpg.0370d0945e38ed2260289ea92d4323c0.jpg

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

27 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

Those head on photos do look a little odd to me. Perhaps it is because any real photography rarely involves the photographer standing on the tracks! So the view from that position is one we are mostly unfamiliar with. Looking down slightly as if from a bridge, or from the side as if over a fence, seems much more natural than a view standing in the 6ft or the 4ft way with a train approaching.

Just sometimes I see it on a prototype picture and it looks odd to me in that situation too.

Merry Christmas to all who have taken part in, or even just looked at, the best thread on RMWeb!

But, other than the last of the main line pictures and the two of the Ivatt on the M&GNR, 'I'm' NOT standing in the 4', 6' or the 10'.

As mentioned, the camera is standing on what would be the overbridge, which the trains will pass beneath or have just gone under. For the photographer to be standing in the 10' to take the picture (as in the repeated shot below), he'd have to be a giant! 

401558470_A3A1and9F.jpg.ea86f070b85fefd3427ded9f97e18130.jpg

Work out the maths. To the top of an A1's chimney above rail height is just over 13' (in reality). Do you know any 13' tall humans? Let alone 16' ones, because we're at least 3' (scale) taller than the top of the A1. All I did was place a stout box, which was the same height as the deck of the overbridge, across the tracks and placed the camera on top of it. If you figure out the perspective, the camera is at about the same height as the footbridge in the distance (the horizon).

From memory, it's about the same height (in scale) above the tracks as the lattice footbridge at Retford used to be (before it was first lifted with the 1976 realignment and finally demolished with electrification). Watching a Pacific belting underneath it was rather unnerving. It was very close! 

575720629_Retford12101931A4byfootbridge.jpg.fbfc267094321b2427c1bcddfe40744e.jpg

Just like this! What's the clearance from the top of the A4's boiler? 3'? Maybe less? About the same as in my previous pictures.

Regards, and a Merry Christmas, 

Tony. 

P. S. And don't forget, it's the numerous contributors (such as yourself) who make this thread what you think it to be! 

Edited by Tony Wright
to clarify a point
  • Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

11 minutes ago, grahame said:

With a nod to the latest photography subject theme mentioned, I've just taken this quick snap. The lens is a Nikkor micro 105mm stopped down to f36. The image has just been reduced in pixel terms and is not cropped or any other effects like sharpening or perspective control applied. The camera is a quite old Nikon D7000 so having a DX sensor the crop factor of that will have effectively increased the focal length. The model is about 20 inches long, N/2mm scale and placed at about 45 degrees to the camera plane:

DSC_8911reda.jpg.0370d0945e38ed2260289ea92d4323c0.jpg

Wonderful!

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

But, other than the last of the main line pictures and the two of the Ivatt on the M&GNR, 'I'm' NOT standing in the 4', 6' or the 10'.

As mentioned, the camera is standing on what would be the overbridge, which the trains will pass beneath or have just gone under. For the photographer to be standing in the 10' to take the picture (as in the repeated shot below), he'd have to be a giant! 

401558470_A3A1and9F.jpg.ea86f070b85fefd3427ded9f97e18130.jpg

Work out the maths. To the top of an A1's chimney above rail height is just over 13' (in reality). Do you know any 13' tall humans? Let alone 16' ones, because we're at least 3' (scale) taller than the top of the A1. All I did was place a stout box, which was the same height as the deck of the overbridge, across the tracks and placed the camera on top of it. If you figure out the perspective, the camera is at about the same height as the footbridge in the distance (the horizon).

From memory, it's about the same height (in scale) above the tracks as the lattice footbridge at Retford used to be (before it was first lifted with the 1976 realignment and finally demolished with electrification). Watching a Pacific belting underneath it was rather unnerving. It was very close! 

575720629_Retford12101931A4byfootbridge.jpg.fbfc267094321b2427c1bcddfe40744e.jpg

Just like this! What's the clearance from the top of the A4's boiler? 3'? Maybe less? About the same as in my previous pictures.

Regards, and a Merry Christmas, 

Tony. 

P. S. And don't forget, it's the numerous contributors (such as yourself) who make this thread what you think it to be! 

I was only referring to the two taken from track level on the M & G N. The rest look like totally natural positions that a real photographer would seek out to take a photo.

• Thanks 1

Good Morning and a very Merry Christmas to all.

2019 for me well, sh*t what a roller coaster of a year for me....but modelling wise what a terrific year, started my first locomotive kit, finished the extension on my layout, which is now ballasted and ready for scenics in the new year. I really moved up in the kit building side of things, white metal wagons I’m really enjoying I’m smashing one out in a few hours (not including painting). 

Another trip to the UK, meeting new people and seeing everyone who I’ve met over the last few years again! You all know who you are, many thanks to all of you, all of you have really guided me much more this year I feel then the rest. If I may toot my own horn, I really found that this year I stamped my name into the British Modelling world. I am both proud and honoured. 

The lesson of the year for me was dodging, learning how to dodge certain things in modelling to trick the eye. 

Many thanks again to all and all the best for the New Year. 

The ever annoying convict 

Jesse 

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 3

8 minutes ago, Jesse Sim said:

Good Morning and a very Merry Christmas to all.

2019 for me well, sh*t what a roller coaster of a year for me....but modelling wise what a terrific year, started my first locomotive kit, finished the extension on my layout, which is now ballasted and ready for scenics in the new year. I really moved up in the kit building side of things, white metal wagons I’m really enjoying I’m smashing one out in a few hours (not including painting). 

Another trip to the UK, meeting new people and seeing everyone who I’ve met over the last few years again! You all know who you are, many thanks to all of you, all of you have really guided me much more this year I feel then the rest. If I may toot my own horn, I really found that this year I stamped my name into the British Modelling world. I am both proud and honoured. 

The lesson of the year for me was dodging, learning how to dodge certain things in modelling to trick the eye. 

Many thanks again to all and all the best for the New Year. 

The ever annoying convict 

Jesse 

Of course it's already Christmas Day with you Jesse.

All the very best,

Tony.