Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

12 minutes ago, great northern said:

I really like those Tony.  Full of character. I'm getting further through what I took now, and reached the point where I started to turn the camera to the South. Here's the first one. Nothing moving, which is very fortunate for the photographer.

IMG_2314.JPG.d24620a5750d24ceafbc944511ff86fc.JPG

Then another of 60034, where I broke my own rule, which is never to use the zoom feature.

2023428485_20LB20.JPG.fa3d163ec46fce8e6955d0613e05e698.JPG

Thanks Gilbert,

I particularly like the first shot.

Using the zoom definitely limits the depth of field. 

I think one 'natural' advantage your camera has is that the centre of the lens is lower, so it's not giving the 4mm eye-line of a giant.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, great northern said:

I really like those Tony.  Full of character. I'm getting further through what I took now, and reached the point where I started to turn the camera to the South. Here's the first one. Nothing moving, which is very fortunate for the photographer.

Then another of 60034, where I broke my own rule, which is never to use the zoom feature.

I'd like to see that one redone with focus stacking, as I think it could be something really special (good as it already is).

Al

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Nobody's hijacking this thread, Phil,

So don't apologise, please.

Long time no see. I really must pop up and see you again.

Regards,

Tony. 

Thanks T. One day I'll be fit....I do need to transfer your Spam back to the ECML though and I still have that Iron and holder.

I shall see if Steve or Clive could do a visit to LB and then, even if I am still crock, they could deliver the goods.

Take care,

P

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

It's very interesting seeing the different 'style' of pictures recently of LB. 

Many visitors take pictures of the railway (I'm delighted they do), and there are many different results.

As I've alluded to, my approach to model railway photography is as 'clinical' as possible. I want as much detail to be visible as is there, with really-sharp imagery. To this end I use large (and powerful) cameras with very high-quality lenses. It could well be that my results are less-sympathetic than those of others, but I'll not change my approach.

However, I have this morning tried some 'new' angles................

749317879_Austerity90040instation.jpg.28f257925f60ccbe31131b81775ae337.jpg

A 'candid' view from the goods yard, peering between elements sees one of Tony Geary's heroically-filthy 'DJH Austerities (I also have another of these superb examples of his work!) plodding southwards on the Up slow through the station.  One of PMP's little shunters observers what's going on. 

A pity about the leaning telegraph pole, though such things were very common. 

256600996_B1261553instation.jpg.ec92be09237914a00f4cb8494c82b9ba.jpg

Another 'just-glimpsed' view from a similar position sees a B12/3 (Coopercraft/Wright) about to depart with an Up stopper. Peering through/between other elements certainly gives a different perspective. 

I love the battered dustbins! And, I've almost got those railings straight.

I very much like these two. They are the glimpse we've all seen somewhere.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, great northern said:

Good evening Gilbert,

I've posted the following two pictures on your thread as well, because I think there's a real interest in model railway photography.........

553002461_Gilbertview10A.jpg.7a3ae1da1e95eaf5c232633e91325bf6.jpg

Both attempt to replicate your last image of 60034, but with two different lenses. This one is a 35mm one, with a slight crop.

198241832_Gilbertview10B.jpg.2e3bd54ce0d74b55803293ef8b846b55.jpg

And this one is a 60mm one, with a greater crop. 

Speaking of stacking (which I haven't a clue how to do!), a chap showed me a Lumix camera at Southampton at the weekend, which, if set, automatically stacks images and processes them itself. The results were amazing. It has a Leica lens.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Ignoring the relationship between focal length & aperture on depth of field for the moment ......

1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

It has a Leica lens.

.... that will help!  :D

14 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Many thanks,

I can see it just fine.

Excellent to hear that the embedding worked for you.

Also, I am ever so slightly early as it just has not quite ticked over as I write this, but congratulations to you on 3,000,000 views on this thread. @Andy Y-would this be a record for an RMweb thread?

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, great northern said:

A V2 heads South.

941778069_34LB34.JPG.158cc269295df450dc979685da88dd30.JPG

All downhill for a while, which must be why the fireman is seated.

That's a lovely shot, Gilbert,

Many thanks.

I think the fireman is squatting, unless his seat has collapsed! It could well be he once inhabited a smaller loco's cab, and has had his lower legs amputated! 

The problem with this view is the right-angle bend taking all the lines to the fiddle yard, beyond the overbridge. It's not visible from normal viewing angles, but it is here....

One dodge I've employed is to hide the curve with a loco, and then do a bit of 'cheating'. 

As here...........

639931780_RM007CLUMBER.jpg.95cc74797142ce52de8e3a95acff2ad2.jpg

I know you like B17s, but an appearance of one on LB would be very rare.... 

Does a blackout work? 

1856154810_60125and60538.jpg.8f0cc23cdb258ee50c3be0cd41f0cf46.jpg

Or is white better? Probably more-natural.....

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium
47 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

That's a lovely shot, Gilbert,

Many thanks.

I think the fireman is squatting, unless his seat has collapsed! It could well be he once inhabited a smaller loco's cab, and has had his lower legs amputated! 

The problem with this view is the right-angle bend taking all the lines to the fiddle yard, beyond the overbridge. It's not visible from normal viewing angles, but it is here....

One dodge I've employed is to hide the curve with a loco, and then do a bit of 'cheating'. 

As here...........

639931780_RM007CLUMBER.jpg.95cc74797142ce52de8e3a95acff2ad2.jpg

I know you like B17s, but an appearance of one on LB would be very rare.... 

Does a blackout work? 

1856154810_60125and60538.jpg.8f0cc23cdb258ee50c3be0cd41f0cf46.jpg

Regards,

Tony. 

Definitely white Tony. Your dodges are a much better option than trying to erase the wagons.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Does a blackout work? 

The track work looks great from this angle, Tony.  And the rodding.

How easy would it be just to blur the image under the arches?  Maintain some colouring but remove the detail that makes the curve obvious...  Although from that very low angle, the curve looks inoffensive to me.

20 hours ago, Jesse Sim said:

Speaking of different shots and angles of the layout Tony, I thought I’d better post this, better late than never. 

https://fbwat.ch/1u7Rin15JIgFmQ13

Thank You for a lovely video of a very sensible locomotive.

I have just read the book on Caledonian 956 class and cannot help wonder how two designs so close could be so different in useability.

Can some here tell me where I can read more on B16s?

I have Hughes,Bradley,Yeadon and RCTS

On 28/01/2020 at 15:30, CF MRC said:

We filmed Copenhagen Fields in the Blue Peter studios four times.  After the first time we were adamant that they had to turn down / off the lighting between filming as the layout was getting cooked: especially our brass strip track in the fiddle yards.

Tim

Good afternoon Tim,

I recall watching the filming of Blue Peter on a couple of occasions. The last would be in 1989 I think. That would be Caron Keating, Yvette Fielding et al. Studio one, as it was, is now long gone, as is BBC Television centre and sadly Caron Keating. Did you get a Blue Peter badge?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Many thanks,

I can see it just fine.

Jesse, how did the other clips turn out? I hope as well as this one.......

Regards,

Tony. 

Good evening Tony,

nice and weighty, yet graceful running. Vehicle number sixteen (from the Guards van) is another one of those stunted pseudo LMS vans.

• RMweb Premium

We did indeed get a Blue Peter Badge.  

The first one is here:

The second filming was a disaster as we had a live derailment. The third and fourth were excellent; indeed, the fourth featured green screen work, scaling the presenters down in size to the model: this included Matt Baker.  

I am sure there is a good TV documentary to be made about our layout and the locality. 

Tim

• Like 6
  • Agree 1