Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

3 hours ago, t-b-g said:

I have seen Arun Quay a few times at shows and the quality of the modelling on it is as good as it gets. I have heard people say at shows be very dismissive of it. Phrases like "A glorified shunting plank" and "A model of nothing very much" have been muttered within my earshot. There is an easy answer. If you don't like a layout at a show, go and look at the ones you do like and leave the others to those that appreciate them.

I doubt whether the people muttering such things have a fraction of the modelling skill and ability of the Gravetts. 

Seeing Arun Quay was a major factor in me deciding to build a small, portable, 7mm exhibition layout. If I get half way to the atmosphere and finesse of Arun Quay I will be well pleased.

'I doubt whether the people muttering such things have a fraction of the modelling skill and ability of the Gravetts. '

The critics do have a fraction of the skills of the Gravetts, Tony.

However, it's minute, minimum, minuscule, and mostly moribund! How's that for alliteration and even some tautology?

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
typo error
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Tony Wright said:

'I doubt whether the people muttering such things have a fraction of the modelling skill and ability of the Gravetts. '

The critics do have a fraction of the skills of the Gravetts, Tony.

However, it's minute, minimum, minuscule, and mostly moribund! How's that for for alliteration and even some tautology?

Regards,

Tony. 

There were one or two that probably didn't manage even a fraction, those with no ability whatsoever. But yes, many would qualify within your parameters.

Best wishes in these strange times,

Tony.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

There were one or two that probably didn't manage even a fraction, those with no ability whatsoever. But yes, many would qualify within your parameters.

Best wishes in these strange times,

Tony.

And best wishes to you, Tony.

Strange times indeed.

I find taking pictures and posting them on here keeps me busier than normal (as well as writing and model-making). That's no bad thing. 

It would seem, given the range of models shown recently, that others are putting the 'home time' to good use. 

Please (all) keep on showing us what you're doing......

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
typo error

6 hours ago, zr2498 said:

At long last I have had the time to make a modification to coaches by Golden Age Models. Some years ago I purchased the Silver Jubilee set and only got around to testing it last year!

Sadly the GAM A4 Silver Fox could not pull the 7 coaches with even 5 being a bit of a struggle (loco wheel slip).

After checking out the bogie / wheel arrangement I was surprised to see plain bearings. A few tests revealed a big rolling resistance with this type, irrespective of lubrication and running in.

So I ordered parts from Alan Gibson. Shorter 24.4mm wheel sets that can fit between the frames.

I have set wasted pin point axle  bearings into the plates but also a 2mm bore 0.25mm thick brass shim set behind each of them. This gives a close fit which can be finely adjusted by the clearance in holes attaching the cross members to the side plates.

Quite a gamble,DSC05073.JPG.2491c0d99457b8ee349ac59dab8e367a.JPG but pleased to report no (or very little) slip with the new arrangement and should get better with 'running in'

DSC05075.JPG.9204c6e670dd68ecaf9543663b918823.JPG

I am also planning to modify the bogie attachment as the spring causes a slightly stiffer rotation than desired which transfers forces between flange and rail (more resistance). This will be replaced by a stand off spacer fitting over the shouldered screw.

Now for the Coronation set (9 coaches)!?

I doubt if I am the only purchaser of GAM coaches that has experienced this problem but here is a relatively easy improvement / solution.

Dave

I'm glad you've solved the problem, Dave,

I probably told you, when I had the same firm's 'Coronation' rake to assess and report on, I couldn't get it run around (on any road) without it derailing, anywhere on LB. It derailed on hand-made points and Peco points (never consistently) and even on plain track, both straight and curved. Cars seemed to take it in turns to fall off! I think the bogie springs were too strong. I didn't investigate the problem and the rake was returned. 

It did look beautiful, but the running needed sorting out.

Some years ago, a rake of ten GAM Pullmans appeared at the Glasgow Show, and the only loco capable of hauling them was one of my kit-built A1s. GAM's locos just slipped! 

I don't know, but has the firm ceased trading? There's no doubt the models were beautiful in appearance, with a fantastic finish; but the carriages/cars seem to present a running problem. At the price, something not expected.

I have to say my GOM A4 runs superbly and I'm very happy with it (despite the fact that it's RTR). It cost me more to have the superfluous DCC gubbins removed. 

By the way, is that 'my' bridge in one of the pictures or another one you're building. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
typo error

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

By the way, is that 'my' bridge in one of the pictures or another one you're building. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Hi Tony

Lets hope that replacement of the strong springs with the stand off spacers prevents derailments. I will update when done.

I cannot understand why such great models were rather let down by the bogie / wheel arrangement. I guess if GAM does trade again this would be rectified.

The bridge you see is a pony truss bridge (one of a pair) that I got from the states (ready made). I plan to cut and carve them, based on my learning from LB bridge so it will be more in keeping with British design. At some stage I will make another LB bridge but the high quality detail drawings I need to get even more accuracy might take even longer to get out of the MR archives in the current climate.

The viaduct you see is made from Townstreet components - done a long long time ago.

Stay safe and enjoy the point rodding!

Dave

1 hour ago, zr2498 said:

Hi Tony

Lets hope that replacement of the strong springs with the stand off spacers prevents derailments. I will update when done.

I cannot understand why such great models were rather let down by the bogie / wheel arrangement. I guess if GAM does trade again this would be rectified.

The bridge you see is a pony truss bridge (one of a pair) that I got from the states (ready made). I plan to cut and carve them, based on my learning from LB bridge so it will be more in keeping with British design. At some stage I will make another LB bridge but the high quality detail drawings I need to get even more accuracy might take even longer to get out of the MR archives in the current climate.

The viaduct you see is made from Townstreet components - done a long long time ago.

Stay safe and enjoy the point rodding!

Dave

Thanks Dave,

Your layout is certainly going to be impressive. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, Coach bogie said:

Even though I am working from home, I have been quite strict about personal time. By getting up at normal work day time, I find I have just over two hours a day spare as modelling time due to not have to drive to work. In twenty hours, during the the last couple of weeks, I have used the time to complete a couple of ongoing projects. The sunny week has allowed me to finish and paint my straight framed Saint. This is a SEF/Wills with a rebuilt cab and scratchbuilt front end, to back date to an early series straight frame example.

1196598974_Albionblr.jpg.a481bc2b1cbdf3b5f412e14d5e0ca162.jpg1012905829_3150dlr.jpg.90cc3924a1abb686d970e61a80b31eb8.jpg658670161_3150elr.jpg.4e35cd5f3611b0fce0e4d0a98148782a.jpg

I finally finished my 3150 BIG prairie. This has been an off and on project that was started and abandoned as a rebuild of a SEF/Wills 61XX. The 3150 uses the larger boiler as fitted to moguls, City etc. Using the Swindon culture as everything comes out of the parts bin and is designed using tracing paper, I eventually worked out that the 3150 has little to do with the 61XX and is actually a larger wheel 2-6-2 version of the 42XX 2-8-0 tank. I had a set of Cotswold castings for a 42XX body and the project was back on again. The Chassis is from a K's mogul, The running plate from a Jamieson 61XX, scratch built front end to make early straight version, and body cut and shut from the Cotswold 42XX.  The 3150 class were mainly used on freight and banking turns. I have no intention of using this on passenger trains as is so heavy, it can haul a thirty wagon goods train with ease. Now what can I start on tomorrow?

Mike Wiltshire

I like the 3150. Good to see a model of one of these.

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Just to finish for today, a couple more shots of K3s........

2077647756_K361812.jpg.c0fca3751b34a3e52f1c64a3418a7481.jpg

This is the hybrid Bachmann/SE Finecast/LRM model, an article on which was published in BRM some little time ago. An interesting variant?

348386509_K3s61825and61975.jpg.2d59f7e4e495515e12570ad31cb72fb1.jpg

61825 is a complete SE Finecast kit (and yes; believe it or not, I painted it as well as build it - as I did 61812). 61975 is a modified Bachmann K3, all the work of Tony Geary (apart from my adding of the wiggly pipes).

The differences can be noted. All are adequate 'layout locos'. 

Any other K3 models out there?  

Two lovely photographs Tony. I'm a BR WR man, but I can appreciate the craftsmanship. 

I have enjoyed the photographs of Little Bytham of late; please keep them coming.  

Best wishes,

Nick

1 hour ago, cb900f said:

Tony,

I just wanted to highlight that maybe something is amiss with the combination lever on 61812 on the R/H side. No criticism intended .

Pete

There certainly is, It's a fault found on all Bachmann K3's. I'm slightly surprised that the RTR valve gear was re used, the SEF, or even Comet etches, would have set the loco off a treat.

11 hours ago, Atso said:

Lovely K3s Tony!

As you asked, here are my two. You may recall taking this picture in Pickering when 2425 was operating as a guest loco a few years back.

2035296683_2425onNoEL.jpg.32a4551962fabe76f9e2cf39f3109a19.jpg

Here is 2425 again with a ten pence pieces for scale.

1080174593_K3ExtremeCloseup.JPG.0e5bedcd984643f494e105923cc802f3.JPG

4004, with early GST.

2138015732_K34004.jpg.9f1d6031c26c5476daa50d6fcebd3376.jpg

One for the future, No. 91 with NER style cab and GNR tender.

500371655_K3No_91.jpg.703d5bee6c8887c595fa73eb9814af79.jpg

All of these models are based around Farish N class donor chassis with 3D printed bodies.

61879 was built for a friend and based around a V2 chassis and B1 tender drive that he supplied.

604502549_61879justaboutcomplete.jpg.ee159e1675f3842456cc72e9c863f3ed.jpg

Hadley Wood will eventually have somewhere between six and eight examples of this wonder class of locomotives.

Lovely variations, Steve,

I like the observation of having the earlier ones displaying their horizontal handrails clipped to the smokebox ring. 

Is it possible to make the front steps?

Regards,

Tony. 

9 hours ago, cb900f said:

Tony,

I just wanted to highlight that maybe something is amiss with the combination lever on 61812 on the R/H side. No criticism intended .

Pete

Please, be critical, Pete.

I modelled it on this image.......

529307899_K361828valvegear.jpg.fcb0deacde93d43d3442a11b398961e4.jpg

61828 in full forward gear.

2004513972_K361812.jpg.1a5ebb65328c579c741256de624b78b9.jpg

And my interpretation. 

If there is a problem, it's the too-steep angle of the slidebars/crosshead. I think I've got the motion support bracket fixed a bit too low. And, I should have made a better job of fixing on that front balance weight. In fairness, at this magnification, the driving wheels would be over 16' diameter in 4mm scale! 

As supplied, Bachmann's gear is more like this.....

1475464700_K361859valvegear.jpg.2cf94ea53b949e1d8d05af9b259d01cc.jpg

In reverse.

I concede, it would have been better to use etched valve gear. Note the recessed front crankpin (to clear the slidebars/crosshead), something rarely modelled (except in the more-accurate gauges).

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
to clarify a point
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, dibateg said:

The Anchorage K3 came with the NE cab windows. I filed out the openings and made new beading from brass wire. Being an earlier loco, it has round top windows. I recall the preformed running plate had the sweep in the wrong place... too far forward. The raised footplate sections either side of the firebox needed to be moved back a few millimetres. Definitely a knife and fork job!

The  O gauge one was no better, the half etch circle on the spectacle plate to locate the boiler was off centre!

2CCDFCCF-3955-445A-8811-B0F4DC3CF979.jpeg.7c06682492a5f4ef1583aad37cf19b76.jpeg

E50A600F-132F-4910-9F29-469CFE1C00AC.jpeg.0bf396eba7871f22dac7107aaa0105b3.jpeg

Regards

Tony

Beautiful modelling, Tony.

The most-natural K3 I think I've ever seen in model form.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Just to finish for today, a couple more shots of K3s........

2077647756_K361812.jpg.c0fca3751b34a3e52f1c64a3418a7481.jpg

This is the hybrid Bachmann/SE Finecast/LRM model, an article on which was published in BRM some little time ago. An interesting variant?

348386509_K3s61825and61975.jpg.2d59f7e4e495515e12570ad31cb72fb1.jpg

I know I have mentioned it before, Tony, but that telegraph pole in the top picture is massively undersized for the number of cross arms it is supporting.  Not sure how you could beef it up but it spoils the whole scene .

To add to the valve gear comments, the combination lever and radius rod are too far behind the valve support, which is clearly a fault of the commercial valve gear.  The valve support should be covering the combination lever.  Perhaps the radius rod could be lengthened a bit?

Tim

Edited by CF MRC
Add to discussion on K3 valve gear.
  • Agree 2

9 hours ago, Brinkly said:

Two lovely photographs Tony. I'm a BR WR man, but I can appreciate the craftsmanship. 

I have enjoyed the photographs of Little Bytham of late; please keep them coming.  

Best wishes,

Nick

'please keep them coming.'

Will do Nick.

Regards, and many thanks,

Tony.  

8 minutes ago, CF MRC said:

I know I have mentioned it before, Tony, but that telegraph pole in the top picture is massively undersized for the number of cross arms it is supporting.  Not sure how you could beef it up but it spoils the whole scene .

To add to the valve gear comments, the combination lever and radius rod are too far behind the valve support, which is clearly a fault of the commercial valve gear.  The valve support should be covering the combination lever.  Perhaps the radius rod could be lengthened a bit?

Tim

Good morning Tim,

The pole is too thin (though it's a bit burnt-out against the white sky).

I might slip on a larger diameter piece of brass tube below the cross rails. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

'please keep them coming.'

Will do Nick.

Regards, and many thanks,

Tony.  

Yes, I’m also enjoying the sequenced images recorded by your ‘miniature photographers’.  Do please keep them coming.

Given that today’s news is warning us that this isolation thing could go on until June, maybe the little people could record your running sequence, for those of us who have not had the privilege of visiting LB in person?

Also, that chap in the blue/grey jumper at the end of the platform, I would be interested to see some of the images he has captured whilst stood there...

stay safe everyone,

Phil

• Like 4
  • Agree 1