Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Premium

I would certainly go for the first picture Tony as I feel that it gives the best overall impression of the layout.  

On another note can I say a thank you to Dibateg as he gave me the nudge to fit proper valve gear on my 4F. I made a start on it yesterday and managed to drill a Con Rod big end to take a 14BA bolt, without breaking any drill bits. Various parts of the valve gear are in this photo.

P5070435.JPG.a8acbb31923cbab3c304d5cb65524670.JPG

I'll now be making some sub assemblies whilst I wait for a 14BA tap to arrive and for our lockdown to be eased so that I can visit a friend who has a 3/16" parallel reamer for the cranks. To fit the existing frames, I've thinned down the crank webs considerably and changed the bearings on this axle from the one on theright to the one to the left of it.  

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 11

Sorry to hijack your thread Tony - 

Jamie - the next step is more tricky. This is the crank for my 2P, it involves drilling, pinning and a blowtorch,  PM me if you want more information on how I did it:-

2P_crank2.JPG.5f91b8152841296596e631513df9567c.JPG

and the Q1:-

P1040215.JPG.29145762a1e4aef2ede44700764fab1e.JPG

Tony Gs comment made me think - it's the low angle, natural viewpoint photos that look so good. One of the reasons I've built my railway quite high...

Regards

Tony

Edited by dibateg
found another picture!
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 13

32 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Good morning Jesse,

It is based on a prototype photograph (courtesy of the Willoughby Arms; which captions the photograph as being taken in 1953. This can't be right, and your question for the day is why not?). 

741280303_LBbrochure01prototype.jpg.f281be2a6f9f2585dcea8583df66c260.jpg

This, in fact, is the Up 'Tees-Tyne Pullman' ('The Hadrian Bar' can be made out as the fifth car). 

1985592323_LBbrochure01.jpg.c41c0afd35e4dcdbcbb993311743a557.jpg

And my interpretation; this time the Up 'Yorkshire Pullman'.

The camera and physics mean I cannot get exactly the same angle, but I think it's near enough.

This, of course, to me, is the 'acid test' for railway modelling. That of comparing a picture of the real thing with a picture of the model; something impossible to do with 'made-up' layouts. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Your missing the two pieces of track in the ballast by the ballast bin at the platform end.  A job for lockdown? 
great photo as is though. 
richard 

• Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Ian Wilson is redesigning it (for me to hand out in better times) and one of the following three shots will be chosen for the cover........

1887167805_LBbrochure01.jpg.f1364092f78becef0746028ccd3805ba.jpg

The first one works best for me.

Edited by St Enodoc
saving space
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Willie Whizz said:

Hmmm.  Oh well, here goes:  As the old joke says:  I've got a twelve-incher - but I don't use it as a rule ...

(Sorry - I'll get me coat ...)

I'll set 'em up, you knock 'em down.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, 2750Papyrus said:

Photo no 1. 

Re: the date of the prototype photo:  when did upper quadrants replace somersault signals at LB?

They were being replaced before the War. 

Any post-War picture I've found shows upper-quadrant semaphores (which lasted until 1975/'76). 

The clue to the date is not the signals, though the rotating GNR ground signal in the foreground was replaced by a BR disc in the late-'50s. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, richard i said:

Your missing the two pieces of track in the ballast by the ballast bin at the platform end.  A job for lockdown? 
great photo as is though. 
richard 

But the prototype picture is at least three years earlier than LB's depiction.

Nobody seems to have figured out yet why the date of 1953 for the prototype picture is incorrect...........................

Regards,

Tony. 

1 hour ago, dibateg said:

Sorry to hijack your thread Tony - 

Jamie - the next step is more tricky. This is the crank for my 2P, it involves drilling, pinning and a blowtorch,  PM me if you want more information on how I did it:-

2P_crank2.JPG.5f91b8152841296596e631513df9567c.JPG

and the Q1:-

P1040215.JPG.29145762a1e4aef2ede44700764fab1e.JPG

Tony Gs comment made me think - it's the low angle, natural viewpoint photos that look so good. One of the reasons I've built my railway quite high...

Regards

Tony

Nobody need apologise for putting wonderful modelling on this thread, Tony.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Nobody seems to have figured out yet why the date of 1953 for the prototype picture is incorrect...........................

Regards,

Tony. 

Hello Tony

I am not sure when the flat bottom track was laid but 1953 does sound a little early but it was in place by the late 1950s.

Looking at the locomotive it appears to have the 1956 BR emblem not the earlier BR totem.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Regards,

Tony. 

Loco has a 'plain' double chimney rather than one with a lip round it?

1 minute ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hello Tony

I am not sure when the flat bottom track was laid but 1953 does sound a little early but it was in place by the late 1950s.

Looking at the locomotive it appears to have the 1956 BR emblem not the earlier BR totem.

Good morning Clive,

The clue is not the trackwork - the fast lines were laid with flat bottom rail quite early. In fact, the model Bytham's fast lines are really incorrect, being laid with bullhead rail.

On the original prototype picture, the A1 has the early BR device, not the later one.

You'll have to keep trying.......................

Regards,

Tony. 

• Informative/Useful 1

7 minutes ago, 31A said:

Loco has a 'plain' double chimney rather than one with a lip round it?

Though not entirely apparent on my (poor) scan, the A1 has a lipped (later-style) chimney, not the plain one. It might have had this by 1953, anyway. 

However, you're getting warmer. The clue is the loco.............................

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
to clarify a point
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Though not entirely apparent on my (poor) scan, the A1 has a lipped (later-style) chimney, not the plain one. It might have had this by 1953, anyway. 

However, you're getting warmer. The clue is the loco.............................

Regards,

Tony. 

Morning Tony,

dead easy, it's the number plate.

27 minutes ago, Headstock said:

Morning Tony,

dead easy, it's the number plate.

Morning Andrew,

Spot on.

The front numberplates on the Thompson/Peppercorn Pacifics were moved down to the top hingestrap from 1955 onward.....

Regards,

Tony. 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

Re the A2  Slide Bar:

Thanks very much Tony and Theakerr for all your advice, it's invaluable. I'm getting an order sorted so I can get started.

While looking for a suitable motion set I found a pair of suitable slide bars and motion brackets. I'll be very careful about

the length! Might be worth trying the copper tube mod at the same time.

I thought I would change the motion sets but they don't seem to suit the A2, this from Wizard site.

I emailed them and the answer was no, unless the dimensions are the same as the A3/A4.

It's a pity I don't know what paint was used as I'd like to sort the plates.

Regards

Syd

3 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Regards,

Tony. 

Chimney on the A1 has a lip?  Others guessed before me and answer given 

Edited by richard i
Others beat me to it.

1 hour ago, juke said:

Re the A2  Slide Bar:

Thanks very much Tony and Theakerr for all your advice, it's invaluable. I'm getting an order sorted so I can get started.

While looking for a suitable motion set I found a pair of suitable slide bars and motion brackets. I'll be very careful about

the length! Might be worth trying the copper tube mod at the same time.

I thought I would change the motion sets but they don't seem to suit the A2, this from Wizard site.

I emailed them and the answer was no, unless the dimensions are the same as the A3/A4.

It's a pity I don't know what paint was used as I'd like to sort the plates.

Regards

Syd

My mistake, Syd,

I thought Comet did a motion set for an A2. The slidebars and crossheads would suit (the latter are available separately, though not the slidebars).

SE Finecast definitely makes a motion set for an A2. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• RMweb Premium

No problem Tony, while I was searching I came across a fret for two front bogie brackets which is a real find as I mislaid same from a Hornby A4.

Hornby don't have this as a spare so it's great to get this.

I have straightened the motion components on the A2 temporarily and couldn't resist trying it with the GA coaches. It pulled away with just the slightest wheel slip and really belted down the straights.

I checked the SE site and I see it's a 'phone call required so I'll try them tomorrow, I guess they'll be closed today. It will be nice to get a new set for this.

Regards

Syd

• Thanks 1

Tony, 

One thing I noticed on the pullman photos .  Nothing to do with what you're talking about .  There's not enough coal in the tender on the model . I often think this on many photos of models . Remember we always filled up with coal on this main line . I can't speak for other areas , but you wouldn't see a tender like that in my opinion , even if the engine has come through from Newcastle .

Regards , Roy .

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 5