Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

1 hour ago, Theakerr said:

Some of the paint matches I have found in Canada:

BR Crimson.   Can Tire Strawberry Fields Gloss, The Army Painter Warpaints "Chaotic Red",  Tamiya TS11 Maroon

ER Green Tamiya Dark Green XF-26 if it is to be lightly weathered and Humbrol RC405 GWR/BR Green

BR Roof Grey Tamiya German Grey XF-63

BR Wagon Grey Tamiya Neutral Grey XF-53

The Tamiya suggestions are really helpful, a really good product that I can get easily where I live. I also use Halfords primer and  black. I've had Wilko spray  paints suggested too but haven't tried those. I have no model shop within easy driving distance. With the regulations for sending aerosols and high postal costs  in the UK alternatives are well worth considering.

Many thanks

Martyn

• Like 2

1 hour ago, t-b-g said:

I know how sad this sounds but I have just been looking up "shortest tunnel" on the internet.

Birdswood near Runcorn on the LNWR at 22 yards is the shortest so far but I have only got to the letter B and I have lost the will to live.

Askham at 57 yards is a positive giant!

The website is here if anybody else is interested enough to read through them all!

http://www.railwaycodes.org.uk/tunnels/tunnels1.shtm

22 yards at some point that starts to count as a bridge. 
richard 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Thanks Tony,

There can't be a shorter tunnel on the ECML than Askham, can there?

Regards,

Tony. 

Tunnels and bridges seem to be a bit like bridges and viaducts. Lots of people think they know the difference but the lines between can be very blurred.

I had hoped that Balby Bridge would be shorter but it is slightly longer. That would have baffled a few!

There is a 48 yard tunnel listed at Northallerton but whether it is on the main line or not I have no idea. It may even go under it!

Edited by t-b-g

20 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

There is a 48 yard tunnel listed at Northallerton but whether it is on the main line or not I have no idea. It may even go under it!

There are flyunders both north and south of the station :)

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, MarkC said:

There are flyunders both north and south of the station :)

It will very likely be one of them. There was another short one listed there too, which is probably the other end.

1 hour ago, t-b-g said:

It will very likely be one of them. There was another short one listed there too, which is probably the other end.

Agreed. The one at the south takes the Up Slow under the Up and Down Fast lines; at the north end, the Up and Down Slows both go under the Fast lines and head off towards Yarm.

N'allerton.png

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, 45568 said:

To Doug & St. Enodoc, with apologies to Mr Wright for hijacking his thread...I will have a look at my spray can paint palette in the next couple of days and put in my suggestions. I have tried many car sprays, with mixed results, I do envy the b*ggers in UK with 'damask red' etc.

The Mr Hobby 'russet' was worth a go I thought, and overall I am very pleased with the result. It is also compatible with Tamiya varnishes..that opens another can of worms!

Cheers from Fortress West,

Peter C.

Thanks Peter. I'll post details of what I use currently somewhere - probably on my own layout topic.

21 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

I'm not requesting its being removed, Rob,

It makes an interesting comparison, and it's very clever stuff.

Did Hornby actually do MINORU? Or have you digitally changed the name/number? 

I think the Hornby A3 body is fantastic, as is the tender, and probably more-accurate than anything I've built (or building). It's just the chassis which lets it down too much for me, with the weird valve gear arrangement; just look at the angle (or lack of it) of the eccentric rod in your model picture - horizontal, caused by the too-long expansion link. The bogie wheels are very poor as well.

Of course, most of the model A3s I posted pictures of yesterday pre-date the Hornby model by many a moon. SANDWICH, DONCASTER and FLYING SCOTSMAN are all old Wills kits on scratch-built frames, with the painting all mine. ENTERPRISE is more-recent; built from an SEF kit and painted by Geoff Haynes. SOLARIO is getting on; a DJH kit, built/painted by Allen Hammett and weathered by Tony Geary, and PRINCE OF WALES is a detailed/modified (not to the extent of the valve gear - yet!) Hornby item, weathered by Tom Foster. 

Bytham has several more A3s.........

Regards,

Tony. 

Thanks Tony, you are very kind, given that this thread is so much for and about proper modelling.

I took the liberty today of concocting another view of a Hornby 60062 'Minoru' which in the case of the picture I showed a day or so ago was a Hornby production model, not re-named/numbered.  The picture below is of a weathered 60062 using a model of 60072 'Sunstar' which I bought via Ebay and the tender from a weathered 60043, both being weathered, renumbered and renamed models.

What a minefield A3 details can be! Such as handrails at the front area, and many variations in detail.  

As you say the Hornby body is lovely. I have taken the liberty of 'repairing' somewhat the valve gear, but some parts are still I suspect slightly 'out'.  A pleasure to do. As ever it would be easy to spend many hours and days changing small things which are inaccurate or annoying.

The photo is edited and I will remove it upon request, and leave you and others to create proper models!

60062_A3_portrait10_9a_r1800.jpg.786a42a76759ec4eb5d39ce7917242e2.jpg

Edited by robmcg
typo
  • Like 10

Page 1800 of advice and guidance. This could be distilled into a book filled with helpful hints which would be a go to for many. 
well done all contributors, long may it continue.
I have learnt a lot from those far wiser than I. 

richard 

• Like 4
  • Agree 7
  • Friendly/supportive 2

16 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

I'm reminded of my first meeting with my oldest friend, Lloyd.

It was September, 1958, and we'd just started at secondary modern school (neither of us had been bright enough to pass our 11+). 

We were sitting side by side in a maths lesson and neither of us had a clue about how to solve the problems given. So, we copied off each other. Now, when two pupils get the same right answer it can mean one of only two things. One, they both got the answer right independently. Or, two, the dim one copied off the bright one, thus getting the answer right. 

The problem for my friend and me was that we were both dim, and got exactly the same wrong answer. On being 'flogged' (obligatory for transgressions in those far-off days) we were told it was not because we copied as such. 'No' said the teacher 'It's because you copied off dimwits each. Why didn't you copy of Coot over there? He always gets the right answer!). 

Our friendship has lasted over 60 years! 

No doubt, in more recent times, we'd probably have been diagnosed with some 'condition', explaining our inabilities. No, we weren't that bright at the time, or just plain lazy. 

He must have pulled his socks up (as I did). He became a bank manager, and I taught maths (at least for part of the timetable)!

I still get stumped by really hard sums, however. 

Regards,

Tony. 

French O Grade, brief flick through the paper confirmed my worst fears: my decline in the subject was in 'crash and burn' territory (being marooned in Belgium, currently, how I wish I'd fulfilled my early promise). In desperation, I decided to twist the school's 'carry on' attitude to my own dark ends. Being sat at the back of the hall meant there was no-one to my left, so I risked a surreptitious glance to my right. My heart sank as I saw it was A***s, who was completing his paper with a purple crayon: one word per page. Needless to say I failed dismally...

Edited by James Fitzjames
Grammatical idiocy
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium

Askham Tunnel I suspect is due to the underlying ground. Once you dig down about 18 inches or so the ground has a very well defined clay content. I doubt it’s a ‘landowner’ thing, the lines alignment is clearly visible either side of the tunnel, so burying this bit for aesthetics wouldn’t make any sense, and I can’t recall reading anything that would indicate in the past local land owners had issues with the landscape. 
edit: add pic plus extra info 

The tunnel can be seen in the centre of the picture, also not apparent is the ridge which runs almost north south which is part of the escarpment as the Yorkshire plains meet the hills of North Notts. 

111E418D-D736-47B9-AC6C-E7A75CE12D67.jpeg

1482990D-1F58-46E2-AA75-C529EB5BF44A.jpeg

3E81AF6B-F520-46B9-BE52-B014120E3498.jpeg

Edited by PMP
Couple of pics from today
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 7

8 minutes ago, grob1234 said:

Hello Tony,

It's been a while...

I've been browsing this topic for a few weeks now, and due to a lack of any model making related activity I haven't posted.

However, seeing your model of Minoru, inspired me to photograph my own interpretation of this locomotive. In a similar stage of construction, mine is from DJH, and will of course be finished in Green as no 2561.

I hope you and Mo are keeping well, and any nasty viruses are being kept at bay. Perhaps one day, both completed models can stand side by side on the metals of Little Bytham.

IMG_5944.jpg.0b35a58c4106ab764787626e0c6e464c.jpg

All the best,

Tom

Good to here from you Tom,

We're very well, thank you. I trust you're all keeping well.

I can't believe it's getting on for two years now that we had the meal with you and your wife in Hong Kong. I assume, given the current circumstances, you're not flying as much.

Your MINORU looks lovely, and (one day; hopefully not too far in the future) it'll be nice to compare the two. Your MINORU as an A1 with RH-drive, and mine as an A3 with LH-drive; just as I saw the A3s. It's conceivable that I saw an A10 (ex-A1) with RH-drive, but I'd have been not much older than your son at the time! 

Regards,

Tony.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Good to here from you Tom,

We're very well, thank you. I trust you're all keeping well.

I can't believe it's getting on for two years now that we had the meal with you and your wife in Hong Kong. I assume, given the current circumstances, you're not flying as much.

Your MINORU looks lovely, and (one day; hopefully not too far in the future) it'll be nice to compare the two. Your MINORU as an A1 with RH-drive, and mine as an A3 with LH-drive; just as I saw the A3s. It's conceivable that I saw an A10 (ex-A1) with RH-drive, but I'd have been not much older than your son at the time! 

Regards,

Tony.  

I know it’s unbelievable how quickly time flies (pardon the pun). It seems like only yesterday we were enjoying a cold beer together on a typically hot and sultry Hong Kong evening.

Fortunately, we are well, which is the most important point. I’m very glad to hear you are too. I think living in a rural environment is a massive bonus at such times. Work is an altogether different situation, but it is early days, and I’m eternally hopeful that the human race will take up international travel and that any recovery is swift. Luckily, we are quite resilient, and whatever the developments in the current situation, I’m sure we will find a way.

There are so many interesting developments to discuss, and I can think of no better way of accomplishing that than to play trains, curse a little and just have fun! I now have a modelling studio of sorts, so who knows I might even fire up the soldering iron or spray booth and make some toy trains.

I feel that the look of an A1/3 is almost the definitive look of a steam locomotive – if someone asks me to imagine a steam engine, the A1/3 is my go-to design – elegant and very fast. Yours will be done before mine no doubt. I intend to stop by more often and will draw inspiration from your progress!

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 4

Tony,

A question if I may. Working on a DJH A2/2 at the moment, it was one of the ones with pre-assembled valve gear and was originally supplied with wheels which had large crank pins already fitted (before DJH stopped supplying wheels) . So the valve gear is etched to suit with very large holes which will be far to big for standard Romford crank pins - any advice on how you may have solved this problem?

Thanks

Chas

• RMweb Premium

Tony,

I have just sourced a Crownline A1/1 kit to build as something completely different from my usual SR stuff. I am fully aware of the controversy surrounding this locomotive (Peter Coster's books on the LNER Pacifics are just superb) but I must confess a liking for its somewhat ungainly and unique appearance although this admiration does not run to the original attempt at a cab!

I seem to remember that you built one of these a while back but can't find a link. It seems a good idea to learn from your experiences and avoid any pitfalls. Can you point me in the right direction if there is a blogg? Many thanks.

Kind regards,

Richard B

PS - I do tend to agree with you that the A1/A10/A3 pacific was (is) perhaps the most graceful ever built.

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, ScRSG said:

Tony,

A question if I may. Working on a DJH A2/2 at the moment, it was one of the ones with pre-assembled valve gear and was originally supplied with wheels which had large crank pins already fitted (before DJH stopped supplying wheels) . So the valve gear is etched to suit with very large holes which will be far to big for standard Romford crank pins - any advice on how you may have solved this problem?

Thanks

Chas

Would these do the job?

https://www.wizardmodels.ltd/shop/wheels/rm11/

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, James Fitzjames said:

French O Grade,

Okay, I went to a hothouse Grammar, but wasn't brilliant at French.

For the then ultra modern O level oral, which placed less emphasis on rote learning, we were supposed to study four subjects, one of which was transport.

Not saying that the thing was loaded but the teacher offered me this option and then knowingly said, "Explain SNCF signalling."

Light the blue touch paper and retire.

Don't suppose that too many moderators knew what a splitting distant was, let alone that it was the equivalent of a "Rappel de Ralentissement" in French.

Or that the "Preannonce" (green flashing light) was used where the block was too short for normal braking distances.

Anyway I got a decent grade and left it at that.

Ian T

• Like 7

1 hour ago, ScRSG said:

Tony,

Thanks

Chas

Good afternoon Chas,

Try getting an A2 motion set from SE Finecast - the coupling rods are exactly the same length, and have holes suitable for normal Romford crankpins.

The connecting rod is shorter on the A2/2, and you could just bush the big end. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, ianathompson said:

Okay, I went to a hothouse Grammar, but wasn't brilliant at French.

For the then ultra modern O level oral, which placed less emphasis on rote learning, we were supposed to study four subjects, one of which was transport.

Not saying that the thing was loaded but the teacher offered me this option and then knowingly said, "Explain SNCF signalling."

Light the blue touch paper and retire.

Don't suppose that too many moderators knew what a splitting distant was, let alone that it was the equivalent of a "Rappel de Ralentissement" in French.

Or that the "Preannonce" (green flashing light) was used where the block was too short for normal braking distances.

Anyway I got a decent grade and left it at that.

Ian T

Put yourself in the shoes of the examiner: having to make conversation with hundreds of teenagers. If an examinee offers a clue towards some different subject if discussion, the examiner will seize the opportunity.

I wore a lapel badge of a GWR railcar for my exam.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Good morning Rob,

There are many definitions of 'proper' models.

If, because of your circumstances, you're unable to make 'proper' models, then you create things in your own way. In fact, in my view, it's more 'creative' than those who just open boxes.

I'm cracking on building MINORU (I didn't know that Hornby had made a version of her already).

2113432441_SEFA312.jpg.af330348f7d2245b5b99ef14da8e293b.jpg

The tender's just about finished, so it's bodywork completion and the making of the motion today/tomorrow.

All the locos I build for LB have a particular memory for me. 

1627796581_6006205.jpg.3db63cbcda35f601faba849f2409936f.jpg

Here's 60062 in the condition she'll be finished (despite the double Kylchap being fitted a year later than LB's depiction - Rule 1!), heading and Up express just south of Retford. I last saw her at Darlington, with German blinkers, and very shabby.

I had several other choices (for the future?). 

1457766103_6003604.jpg.cc334622a760c3c4aa3564cdeac03c4a.jpg

COLOMBO entering Grantham from the south.

564466471_6004502.jpg.e01e2adf7593e1a9bc510afa1d9f96ba.jpg

Or LEMBERG, at Eaton Wood south of Retford.

I saw both 60036 and 60045 at Darlington, both in lovely condition acting as standby locos, towards the end of their lives.

60047.jpg.9604b4a79dff15a85fd7708ddeef7361.jpg

DONOVAN was also a possibility; seen here at Essendine on an Up 'Parly' shortly before the intermediate stations closed between Peterborough and Grantham.

She carries a round dome.  

1661100602_6006101.jpg.a4bf9453f6b349cc69335d439e2b1416.jpg

I had thought of PRETTY POLLY, but the name is so daft! 

1586763593_6008801.jpg.f920e4b156b86997480a26a0a3c53c8e.jpg

BOOK LAW is also a possibility. I saw her at Markham Moor; we were on our way to Lincoln for my dad to meet up with an old college chum, and the gates at Lincoln Road crossing were closed - such luck! 

This view of her is at Retford.

663714090_6009401.jpg.9490e1798c6d4426b405ed2a0af65478.jpg

I saw very few Scottish-based A3s, but COLORADO was one - at Donny plant in 1958; perhaps shortly after this picture was taken.

If I ever do build her, it'll be an inaccurate model. Why? Because I'd not make the cab lean back, and also fix the horizontal handrail horizontally!

634946312_6010903.jpg.972b9b6c7c24a7708a2a3dfa16a64aa8.jpg

HERMIT was always a favourite. Her tender had the backing plate behind the rails extended rearwards beyond the coal space (like 60088; a detail on these GNR tenders I've never seen mentioned in any of the established works). 525076561_6011201filthy.jpg.029b53198246627fbda05028df5fb5a6.jpg

1696072877_6011202filthy.jpg.efcc1e1ab36345d8e5e7b701330f027c.jpg

I had thought of 60112, but most pictures show her as very dirty in the late-'50s. A possibility for you, Rob? 

I have plenty of A3s left to build.........

Please (all) observe copyright restrictions regarding the prototype pictures.

Regards,

Tony. 

Terrific Photos

• Agree 4