Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, CUTLER2579 said:

Tony,

You referred to charities, I know that Guide Dogs have a massive Logistics nightmare as well of the obvious financial impact. As they breed almost all of their Puppies in house they are now getting a weekly birthrate,that can't be trained at the present time. Part of the training regime is to go off to Puppy Walkers to be trained in social doggy behaviour,getting them used to going on public  transport,in cars  and into shops,being trained to toilet on command and lots of other things. There are now about 7 weeks of dogs with puppy Walkers ready to go into the next  stages of training

but that is not happening and the end result of all this is people waiting for a Guide Dog for the first time and others waiting for a replacement dog will have an even longer wait. My "Other" half has just asked me what will happen to the puppies born in the last 7 weeks or so and frankly I don't know,I presume when they are older they may go to the police or customs as sniffer dogs, unless of course training can be ramped up. After the announcement yesterday about "Furloughing" being extended until October I fear the problem will get worse before it gets better. I know that retired Guide Dogs are much in demand, Guide Dog puppies sales  would lead to a stampede if it ever happened.

Keep safe guys.

Regards,Derek.

All the animal rescue charities are in similar difficulties as they can not re-home animals during this period.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, CUTLER2579 said:

Tony,

You referred to charities, I know that Guide Dogs have a massive Logistics nightmare as well of the obvious financial impact. As they breed almost all of their Puppies in house they are now getting a weekly birthrate,that can't be trained at the present time. Part of the training regime is to go off to Puppy Walkers to be trained in social doggy behaviour,getting them used to going on public  transport,in cars  and into shops,being trained to toilet on command and lots of other things. There are now about 7 weeks of dogs with puppy Walkers ready to go into the next  stages of training

but that is not happening and the end result of all this is people waiting for a Guide Dog for the first time and others waiting for a replacement dog will have an even longer wait. My "Other" half has just asked me what will happen to the puppies born in the last 7 weeks or so and frankly I don't know,I presume when they are older they may go to the police or customs as sniffer dogs, unless of course training can be ramped up. After the announcement yesterday about "Furloughing" being extended until October I fear the problem will get worse before it gets better. I know that retired Guide Dogs are much in demand, Guide Dog puppies sales  would lead to a stampede if it ever happened.

Keep safe guys.

Regards,Derek.

We are having the same problem in Ireland where my wife is the local fund raiser. It's the same for all charities, I am secretary of the local RNLI fundraising branch and we are definitely feeling the pinch. We have lost two fundraising events so far this year and look likely to lose at least two or three more.

• Friendly/supportive 7

The Hospice movement is also feeling the strain, I am using my daily walk to raise a small amount of money for my local Hospice. As it involves places like this it is not too much of a chore! I'm doing 26 miles in 26 days but will complete it in under two weeks,

IMG_20200507_141511055.jpg.659ae74085e6ca48b74a880038059fba.jpg

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

I have finally got on and put your advice on couplings to use and got the first of my completed formations fitted with new couplings (along with with corridor connections.) 

this is my attempt at the 21:50 Paddington to Penzance sleeper (or rather the Penzance portion of it given my layouts inability to handle 12 coach trains).  All have been fitted with wire hook and loop couplings in the buffer beams (soldered

to pads on the chassis on all bar the J12 which is soldered to the buffer beam.  Card corridor connections (eBay) are fitted to one end of each coach. 

12E62AD2-B0F0-4A06-84C9-993C097F0BD3.jpeg.1a816f7ac4dfbe9c5abc93b07c6a5fba.jpeg0BA4B35E-39EE-4DD7-87DF-49DF7A77EE67.jpeg.9fa8d74cd26df0b64fe4c5969ed37514.jpeg

Hornby Hawksworth brake third (couplings and chassis weathering, along with a new number are the only changes.

Hornby Collett (bow end) third, roof repainted, changed to post war crest with G W R above it

BSL kit built J12 sleeper

Slaters kit built Toplight composite 

Mainline “sunshine stock” third, all lettering removed and rebranded to 1940s G W R over crest.  Roof repainted grey and interior painted.

Hornby Bow End D95 brake third, roof repainted, branding changed to great crest western. 

A nice selection, I like those.

That said I do remember watching the Penzance Paddingtons leaving Plymouth with 13 or 14 on and often a single 50 on the front.

The station exit under the car park at Mutley Plain is a huge echo area, so a 16 CSVT on full throttle and a heavy load was an amazing sound.

Pity I model further north or I would have one of those!

And that was nearly 40 years ago!!!!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Hollar said:

A terrific piece of work,  The texture and colouring of the concrete is as good as anything I've seen- would you be willing to share how it was achieved?

Tone

Thanks very much for your kind words - I can't take any credit for the texture and colouring of the concrete, that's simply the card itself... I was thinking of painting it!:unsure:

13 hours ago, Wingman Mothergoose said:

Morning Tony,

When lockdown is finally over I will gladly donate to CRUK to come visit Little Bytham, will be great to finally meet you also. 

Lockdown has been good for me layout wise, I’ve been able to finish my garage conversion and reassemble Richmond, as well as build the extension boards, lay more track and run some trains(for testing obviously!). I’ve also managed to finish a Parkside wagon kit and my most recent two Ian Kirk Gresley articulated twin set kits

DB41E38E-81C4-41AF-BFBB-8EA3B4D163B3.jpeg.9c4b5c10e9e6499c1f1b5e13e6774080.jpeg

To test the track currently laid, Hornby L1 67755 of Darlington shed waits to leave platform 1 with a train of Ian Kirk articulated twins. 
I’m itching to try a brass kit, so I may attempt an MSE NER signalbox kit soon, although I do have to go back to work as of today, so time on the layout will begin to dwindle off.

Chris G

Good evening Chris,

When this is all over, you'll be more than welcome to visit LB.

It's been very disappointing to have cancelled (or postponed) all the visits scheduled through April, May, June and July (and beyond), but safety is paramount. 

Looking at your picture, is it Peco platforms you're using? It's good, but it's designed to stand next to Peco track which is sitting on foam underlay. Which means it's too tall adjacent to track without it. 

When I plotted the height of Bytham's platforms, the edge came up to halfway up and A4's front buffer. This was quite high; many platforms are much lower than this. 

Some model platforms are so high, a carriage door could not be opened! 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Informative/Useful 1

10 hours ago, mullie said:

The Hospice movement is also feeling the strain, I am using my daily walk to raise a small amount of money for my local Hospice. As it involves places like this it is not too much of a chore! I'm doing 26 miles in 26 days but will complete it in under two weeks,

IMG_20200507_141511055.jpg.659ae74085e6ca48b74a880038059fba.jpg

Good luck with your endeavours.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, westerner said:

Thought you might like this a weathered Darstaed BR suburban BS. The only coach on Blakeney (Glos)

866083309_weatheredcoach1c.jpg.09864cf1d15757a70f410d1e34f16e51.jpg

Thanks for posting this, Alan,

You've made it look very realistic.

I think they are excellent carriages at source. They even have the netting to carry suitcases and bags above the seats!

1489925810_OGaugeDarstaedMK.1suburban01jpg.jpg.a21bf17c3283afce64961e70d53ae70d.jpg

1170518642_OGaugeDarstaedMK102.jpg.406f0185deac5b91ccadf6d4c4bfc605.jpg

1371560610_OGaugeDarstaedMK.sububurban03pg.jpg.9946ea2386e482391969039ad75d0f87.jpg

34610108_OGaugeDarstaedMK.1suburban04jpg.jpg.8893ee83d95c2ef1b31713fb0a5483cd.jpg

2043135803_OGaugeDarstaedMK.jpg.ed48baecc4c916610bd204b1ece28f2d.jpg

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Good evening Chris,

It's been very disappointing to have cancelled (or postponed) all the visits scheduled through April, May, June and July (and beyond), but safety is paramount. 

Looking at your picture, is it Peco platforms you're using? It's good, but it's designed to stand next to Peco track which is sitting on foam underlay. Which means it's too tall adjacent to track without it. 

When I plotted the height of Bytham's platforms, the edge came up to halfway up and A4's front buffer. This was quite high; many platforms are much lower than this. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Hi Tony,

I will definitely come over to visit LB!

Yes it is the Peco platforms that I’m using, I’ve only glued one side of the edging down so far, and I noticed they were on the high side too. Luckily the track here is laid on 10mm cork tiles, which I’ve cut away and replaced with strips of thin cork sheet so that the Peco platform edging sits lower, and also sits at the same height as the rest of the platform. 

Well spotted though! 

Chris

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Standard height 3 feet above rail level (as Tony says, some are lower but few are higher).

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

5 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Standard height 3 feet above rail level (as Tony says, some are lower but few are higher).

Agreed. I’ve been restricted though by the height of the existing platforms on the model, which has meant I’ve had to sink the Peco platform edging into the cork by a few mm to make them line up 

Chris

• Informative/Useful 1

9 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Good evening Chris,

Regards,

Tony. 

Prototype fpr everything:  When the new Basildon station was opened, the Opening Party were due to arrive by train.  When the train arrived the dignitaries fond themselves trapped in the slam-door train because the platforms were too high.  They had to go back to Laindon and travel to the new station by a hurriedly-assembled convoy of taxis.  After the opening ceremony, the station closed again for the necessary adjustments.

Tone

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 6

31 minutes ago, Hollar said:

Prototype fpr everything:  When the new Basildon station was opened, the Opening Party were due to arrive by train.  When the train arrived the dignitaries fond themselves trapped in the slam-door train because the platforms were too high.  They had to go back to Laindon and travel to the new station by a hurriedly-assembled convoy of taxis.  After the opening ceremony, the station closed again for the necessary adjustments.

Tone

I recall when I used to go out ‘on the bash’ regular that some of the platforms on the Bakerloo Line where it parallels the WCML had platforms higher than the train floors(it’s been a very long time since I was out that way so it’s probably changed now) too. 
Looking at photos of Richmond, the platforms are fairly high, probably a result of the platform extensions carried out by the NER and LNER. The original platform was really low, and when the NER first extended the platforms it resulted in a fairly steep slope from the station buildings to the platform edge. So I think my platform height probably isn’t too far off what it would have been in BR days, it will look better once I get around to glueing the platform 1 extension down. Before I do I’m trying to work out how to place it so locos using the run round crossover don’t foul the platform edge as they curve away from it....

Chris

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Wingman Mothergoose said:

I recall when I used to go out ‘on the bash’ regular that some of the platforms on the Bakerloo Line where it parallels the WCML had platforms higher than the train floors(it’s been a very long time since I was out that way so it’s probably changed now) too.

That's because those stations were built to main line standards, not Tube. Some of the Northern line stations on the High Barnet branch are (or at least were) the same.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

One thing I don't recall seeing modelled is a station where the platform height varies along the same platform. I have seen a few real places where newer sections of platform are higher with the older bits not being altered. There was one station, to my shame I can't recall where but it was on the former NER, with three distinct platform heights on the same platform.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

I've just ripped up and re-done my platform for precisely this reason.  I'd made a couple of beginner's errors (well, I am a beginner really) both on position of the platform edge and the height; once a wooden platform edge strip had been added, the height would have been up to the stepboards.  Considering this is meant to have been built as a light railway, such a high platform would have been ridiculous. 

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

28 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

One thing I don't recall seeing modelled is a station where the platform height varies along the same platform. I have seen a few real places where newer sections of platform are higher with the older bits not being altered. There was one station, to my shame I can't recall where but it was on the former NER, with three distinct platform heights on the same platform.

A lot of platforms round Settle were like that. Long Preston had one end quite a bit higher than the other. I think it was done under BR so I didn't model it as the layout was set in 1923 ish. It also had, and still has a section that's only 4' wide where ut passes under an overbridge.

Jamie

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, St Enodoc said:

That's because those stations were built to main line standards, not Tube. Some of the Northern line stations on the High Barnet branch are (or at least were) the same.

Yes I'm aware of that, but I was using it as an example.

Would have been easy enough I suppose for London Transport to raise the track a long time ago but they chose not to.

Anyway, I digress. I've just been out to the layout to test run my new Bachmann V3, and I checked the platform heights, they look about right, and don't think that I'm going to rip up the original platforms on the station to lower them  a couple of mm or raise the track any more than I have already. Will see what the whole platform looks like when I've had chance to glue the other side down. 

Chris

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Platforms are by no means flat, on the far platform where the grit bin stands there used to be a signal box.

IMG_9618

I know that the lens has exaggerated this but another shot shows it as well and also, conveniently, shows that the edges don't always follow the line of the track. The 'lump' in the platform is where a road runs underneath the line.

IMG_8576

Edited by Richard E
  • Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 2

8 minutes ago, Richard E said:

Platforms are by no means flat, on the far platform where the grit bin stands there used to be a signal box.

I know that the lens has exaggerated this but another shot shows it as well and also, conveniently, shows that the edges don't always follow the line of the track. The 'lump' in the platform is where a road runs underneath the line.

That's interesting Richard.  It strikes me as quite similar to the debate that's been on this thread before about dents to handrails, casing etc on locos.  There's a tendency almost to model how we think it should look without the imperfections of real life.  Obviously some of these things don't scale well but perhaps we shouldn't beat ourselves up quite so much if our modelling doesn't look perfect!

David

• Like 3
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium

Platform top surfaces are another area where there is much by way of variation in surface material, cracks, texture changes drains, marks where things used to stand and so on.

Yet many platform surfaces on models are a pretty plain flat overall colour.

I would even dare include Little Bytham in that. When you see a photo of the real station compared with the model,it is one area where the difference shows.

Most real platforms were not flat either! I have seen many that slope gently down away from the track. Somebody once commented hat it was a combination of drainage and also that any objects like barrels, or round cases, or perhaps even prams and wheelchairs, would roll away from the tracks rather than towards them if the handler lost control.

How many have ever modelled that feature? 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

How about the well known and rather deadly dip half way along the platform at Sturminster Newton on the Somerset & Dorset?  Intended for access to the foot crossing, it was situated right outside the main station building, where you'd probably be most likely to alight from the train.  Although this is an early photo (credited to Lens of Sutton, copied out of OPC's Historical Survey of the Somerset & Dorset Railway) the feature remained right up until line closure in 1966.  Apologies for photo quality; I can't at the moment find a better image that more clearly illustrates the dip.

image.png.24f3a30e66b265e312431d747a93bb19.png

Pete T.

Edited by PJT
Hadn't figured out how to display the photo properly.
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, t-b-g said:

Most real platforms were not flat either! I have seen many that slope gently down away from the track. Somebody once commented hat it was a combination of drainage and also that any objects like barrels, or round cases, or perhaps even prams and wheelchairs, would roll away from the tracks rather than towards them if the handler lost control.

How many have ever modelled that feature? 

It's probably quite subtle in many cases and I believe it is a requirement.  There was a serious accident on the Midland caused by a slope towards the track resulting in a luggage trolley rolling off and being hit by a train which then derailed.  I think the slope away was then mandated by the BoT. @jamie92208 has described this more detail somewhere.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Buhar said:

It's probably quite subtle in many cases and I believe it is a requirement.  There was a serious accident on the Midland caused by a slope towards the track resulting in a luggage trolley rolling off and being hit by a train which then derailed.  I think the slope away was then mandated by the BoT. @jamie92208 has described this more detail somewhere.

The bitter irony there was that Wellingborough's down fast platform was the only one that had not been raised so as to slope away from the edge. Lt.-Col. Yorke's report here.

• Informative/Useful 1