Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

10 minutes ago, Buhar said:

It's probably quite subtle in many cases ...

For drainage purposes, the normal minimum slope is 1:40; (or, as a site foreman once put it to me, around an inch in a metre)!

John Isherwood.

• Like 5
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

I have certainly seen platforms where they were flat enough for it to be hardly visible to the naked eye. I have seen some with distinct and quite steep slopes too, usually where the edge against the track had been raised from on older lower platform but the door out of the building onto the platform was still the original height.

As usual, it comes down to observing the real thing.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Wingman Mothergoose said:

Yes I'm aware of that, but I was using it as an example.

Would have been easy enough I suppose for London Transport to raise the track a long time ago but they chose not to.

That line isn't owned by London Transport/London Underground, it's a part of the main line system which LT trains run over. Those platforms are also used by Euston - Watford services, which is why the platforms remain high. There are 'compromise height' platforms on Underground lines which are used by both Tube and Surface stock, such as Rayners Lane - Uxbridge (Metropolitan and Piccadilly).

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, t-b-g said:

Platform top surfaces are another area where there is much by way of variation in surface material, cracks, texture changes drains, marks where things used to stand and so on.

Yet many platform surfaces on models are a pretty plain flat overall colour.

I would even dare include Little Bytham in that. When you see a photo of the real station compared with the model,it is one area where the difference shows.

Most real platforms were not flat either! I have seen many that slope gently down away from the track. Somebody once commented hat it was a combination of drainage and also that any objects like barrels, or round cases, or perhaps even prams and wheelchairs, would roll away from the tracks rather than towards them if the handler lost control.

How many have ever modelled that feature? 

Good afternoon Tony,

'I would even dare include Little Bytham in that. When you see a photo of the real station compared with the model,it is one area where the difference shows.'

One of the 'downsides' of modelling an actual prototype? 

834446569_Bytham01prototype.jpg.54a2ba1c6fc3a28df71ce9a92a58ab95.jpg

This picture was taken shortly before the station at Little Bytham was closed and demolished. 

I decided my modelling skills were not up to the task of producing crumbling tarmac. 

Interestingly, Bytham Stations platforms had different textures; the Up island's surface was tarmac, and the Down's gravel. Why, I don't know. 

269550672_Makingplatforms13.jpg.f2353be590cfe635bb8edea57d8ecb65.jpg

Great care was taken to ensure they were the right height.

629754941_Makingplatforms21.jpg.fd9198860d4008dc15f3b039951a31f8.jpg

This picture was taken shortly after I'd finished making the platforms. 

The Up platform's surface is emulsion paint with some scatter added to give a texture. The Down platform's surface is various shades of N Gauge ballast and scatter. 

1857484712_PlatformviewsA2260501.jpg.00c7ff0845113a267ec5381c9784030a.jpg

I took this picture over a years ago (it appeared in the RM), and I think it illustrates the difference quite well. 

1376505681_PlatformviewsA2360516.jpg.895f112d512b04b2a1a00326a0e3fd29.jpg

As does this one (I think), though the surface to the right should be crumbling.

2137802712_PlatformviewsO2363980.jpg.f2974a9ef01fcb951c3bbb2114365c19.jpg

Perhaps this is too smooth/uniform. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Platforms/scenery?

I'm much happier building locos....................

1854859385_LY0-6-002.jpg.7760c25802883b07b960be1daf27964b.jpg

The next stage on the L&Y 0-6-0.

While building the above, I've started an ex-GE 0-6-0, a J17. 

578954248_J1701.jpg.c7f554213beeff4dc29e3da024d21d7a.jpg

I'm building this from a Crownline kit. I acquired it un-built from the late Roy Jackson's estate, and have now discovered there are some bits missing (Roy was a great 'borrower' from various kits!). No matter, I'll just make what's necessary.

The chassis turned out to be a bit of a fight. It looked well-etched, with all the spacers fitting perfectly into their slots. Except, when tacked together, and the axles inserted for testing they were not at right angles to the frames. So, by un-soldering the bearings and opening up the holes in the frames considerably, I was able to cure the condition; by using the Poppy's Wood jig and bearings with thicker walls. Without a jig, it would be impossible to get the frames true. 

Several J17s were fitted with vacuum brakes so that they could operate passenger trains on the M&GNR system, and this will be one of those. Because my miniature M&GNR has 2' radius curves in the fiddle yard, I had to shave the outside faces of the bearings almost right down to the frames. The Crownline frames are wider than 'normal' for OO. It just makes it round! 

The drive is one of DJH's wonderful new motor/gearbox combos, giving ultra-sweet running. 'Expensive'? Yes; but worth it for the quality of running.

The driving wheels are 'interesting'. They're older Romford 19mm ones (no longer made by Markits). I acquired quite a few Romford drivers last year from the estate of a deceased modeller, including this set. I didn't really check them until they came to be of use, and found out they were all non-insulated. A phone call to Mark Arscott confirmed the type's non-availability. What to do? I resorted to my 'good old days' of two-railing Hornby-Dublo three rail locos by sawing through alternate spokes with a piercing saw and plugging the gaps with Araldite (it must be the old-fashioned, slow-curing stuff). Once cured, the remaining spokes can be cut and plugged with epoxy. The trick is to leave just the spokes at 12, 3, 6 and 9 o'clock after the first cuts, thus saving the time in reinserting the saw blade. Obviously, great care must be taken to ensure no bits of swarf are caught in the Araldite (checking, once completed, with a meter). 

Out of interest, many Markits' drivers are now supplied with stainless steel tyres, as are the axles. No more rust problems! 

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 4

That's interesting, Tony.  The Crownline J17 was among the very first etched locos I built, before I had a jig and I recall it going together really nicely and being by far the easiest I'd built up to that point (the others had been a Craftsman A5 and Gibson J15).  I never got the noise out of the Comet gearbox, but the frames were no problem at all.

I believe the cab windows are either too small or too close together or maybe both.   I'll try to find a picture.

spacer.png

Edited by jwealleans
Add picture.
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

Platforms/scenery?

I'm much happier building locos....................

1854859385_LY0-6-002.jpg.7760c25802883b07b960be1daf27964b.jpg

The next stage on the L&Y 0-6-0.

While building the above, I've started an ex-GE 0-6-0, a J17. 

578954248_J1701.jpg.c7f554213beeff4dc29e3da024d21d7a.jpg

I'm building this from a Crownline kit. I acquired it un-built from the late Roy Jackson's estate, and have now discovered there are some bits missing (Roy was a great 'borrower' from various kits!). No matter, I'll just make what's necessary.

The chassis turned out to be a bit of a fight. It looked well-etched, with all the spacers fitting perfectly into their slots. Except, when tacked together, and the axles inserted for testing they were not at right angles to the frames. So, by un-soldering the bearings and opening up the holes in the frames considerably, I was able to cure the condition; by using the Poppy's Wood jig and bearings with thicker walls. Without a jig, it would be impossible to get the frames true. 

Several J17s were fitted with vacuum brakes so that they could operate passenger trains on the M&GNR system, and this will be one of those. Because my miniature M&GNR has 2' radius curves in the fiddle yard, I had to shave the outside faces of the bearings almost right down to the frames. The Crownline frames are wider than 'normal' for OO. It just makes it round! 

The drive is one of DJH's wonderful new motor/gearbox combos, giving ultra-sweet running. 'Expensive'? Yes; but worth it for the quality of running.

The driving wheels are 'interesting'. They're older Romford 19mm ones (no longer made by Markits). I acquired quite a few Romford drivers last year from the estate of a deceased modeller, including this set. I didn't really check them until they came to be of use, and found out they were all non-insulated. A phone call to Mark Arscott confirmed the type's non-availability. What to do? I resorted to my 'good old days' of two-railing Hornby-Dublo three rail locos by sawing through alternate spokes with a piercing saw and plugging the gaps with Araldite (it must be the old-fashioned, slow-curing stuff). Once cured, the remaining spokes can be cut and plugged with epoxy. The trick is to leave just the spokes at 12, 3, 6 and 9 o'clock after the first cuts, thus saving the time in reinserting the saw blade. Obviously, great care must be taken to ensure no bits of swarf are caught in the Araldite (checking, once completed, with a meter). 

Out of interest, many Markits' drivers are now supplied with stainless steel tyres, as are the axles. No more rust problems! 

Proper "old school" modelling!

Walsall Wheels still make their 7mm scale insulated wheels that way. A cast iron wheel in one piece with spokes cut and filled with Araldite.

• Informative/Useful 1

38 minutes ago, Headstock said:

Funny, in the 1940s the only thing that the western region could keep clean were the windows. Someone forgot to tell them how unrealistic it would look.

Copyright observation please.

GWR 9602.jpg

GWR 7319.jpg

Superb photos - any more GWR like that?  Just perfect for my 1940s period.  In due course I need a Restaurant Car exactly like that for my Weymouth - Paddington express.

Gerry

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Bulwell Hall said:

Superb photos - any more GWR like that?  Just perfect for my 1940s period.  In due course I need a Restaurant Car exactly like that for my Weymouth - Paddington express.

Gerry

I was just about to say the same.  

I think I’m right in reading that as Plymouth, Bristol, ?????, Manchester London Road.   Which I believe was a service running alternatively with an LMS buffet (which is how I’ve modelled it).  The photos do show just how much more weathering I need to do 

• Informative/Useful 1

4 minutes ago, The Fatadder said:

I think I’m right in reading that as Plymouth, Bristol, ?????, Manchester London Road.   Which I believe was a service running alternatively with an LMS buffet (which is how I’ve modelled it).  The photos do show just how much more weathering I need to do 

Shrewsbury.

Jason

3 minutes ago, The Fatadder said:

????? would be Shrewsbury.  I am always amazed at how grubby GWR coaches could be at this time - actually I don't think it was just the GWR!   The scruffy Restaurant Car makes an good contrast with the shiny Toplight next to it.  Great stuff and more please if you have them.

Gerry

• Like 1

particularly

22 minutes ago, Bulwell Hall said:

Gerry

Tons more. However, partly due to the logistics of scanning and partly the complications of copyright, most are never going to be posted up on line. One last one, and of particular relevance to my own modelling. The western region seem to have had a particular problem with dirty carriages in 1949, almost every train seemed to have one. The Swansea York was no exception, the leading brake third being particularly shabby throughout the period of the Summer timetable. I have several images of the train with its dirty brake, they still managed to clean the windows though, at least on the passenger compartments.

Copyright VR Webster. Please respect copyright.

61078 July 1949 York-Swansea  V R webster.jpg

Edited by Headstock
COM,
  • Like 13

35 minutes ago, Headstock said:

particularly

Tons more. However, partly due to the logistics of scanning and partly the complications of copyright, most are never going to be posted up on line. One last one, and of particular relevance to my own modelling. The western region seem to have had a particular problem with dirty carriages in 1949, almost every train seemed to have one. The Swansea York was no exception, the leading brake third being particularly shabby throughout the period of the Summer timetable. I have several images of the train with its dirty brake, they still managed to clean the windows though, at least on the passenger compartments.

Copyright VR Webster. Please respect copyright.

61078 July 1949 York-Swansea  V R webster.jpg

Good evening Andrew,

What a coincidence. Exactly the same B1 (in model form) arrived today from a friend..........

503421651_B161078.jpg.ec85c06f28f73e0bee95b809c503e850.jpg

It's Tony Geary's work, and used to run on Charwelton (at the time of the layout's depiction it was a Woodford loco). It's a Replica body on top of Comet frames with Stelfox parts. 

My friend has given it to me (he bought it off Tony), in return for my making a couple of his ex-GWR locos work properly.

He also gave me this DJH BR Standard 4.

1795266194_BRStandard47603902.jpg.1cb850018d6e465948522c8659cddd94.jpg

789017763_BRStandard476039.jpg.582b19171d28e4d5944b0373a09be1fb.jpg

Again, this is Tony Geary's work (beautifully grubby!). The cab had taken a bit of a wack in the post, but I've straightened it out as much as I could (it's more evident on the offside).

Though BR Standard 4 2-6-0s were not indigenous to LB, some were built and repaired at Doncaster (76114 was the last steam loco built at The Plant). They could thus appear from time to time. Perhaps this one is heading north for repair. 

My friend also sent a selection of RTR locos for me to find new homes for on behalf of CRUK. These include a brand new Hornby Britannia (with mangled valve gear on one side!), a Bachmann B1 and a Bachmann J39. Both the Bachmann locos are split chassis and run (as well as those mechs ever did). There's also a made-up Millholme 2P.

I'll be checking over/repairing these models and, once done, I'll post pictures and offer them for sale on behalf of CRUK. I'll be keeping the B1 and the 76XXX.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 13

5 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Good evening Andrew,

What a coincidence. Exactly the same B1 (in model form) arrived today from a friend..........

503421651_B161078.jpg.ec85c06f28f73e0bee95b809c503e850.jpg

It's Tony Geary's work, and used to run on Charwelton (at the time of the layout's depiction it was a Woodford loco). It's a Replica body on top of Comet frames with Stelfox parts. 

My friend has given it to me (he bought it off Tony), in return for my making a couple of his ex-GWR locos work properly.

1795266194_BRStandard47603902.jpg.1cb850018d6e465948522c8659cddd94.jpg

789017763_BRStandard476039.jpg.582b19171d28e4d5944b0373a09be1fb.jpg

Again, this is Tony Geary's work (beautifully grubby!). The cab had taken a bit of a wack in the post, but I've straightened it out as much as I could (it's more evident on the offside).

Though BR Standard 4 2-6-0s were not indigenous to LB, some were built and repaired at Doncaster (76114 was the last steam loco built at The Plant). They could thus appear from time to time. Perhaps this one is heading north for repair. 

My friend also sent a selection of RTR locos for me to find new homes for on behalf of CRUK. These include a brand new Hornby Britannia (with mangled valve gear on one side!), a Bachmann B1 and a Bachmann J39. Both the Bachmann locos are split chassis and run (as well as those mechs ever did). There's also a made-up Millholme 2P.

I'll be checking over/repairing these models and, once done, I'll post pictures and offer them for sale on behalf of CRUK. I'll be keeping the B1 and the 76XXX.

Regards,

Tony. 

That B1 has been beautifully detailed.

• Agree 1

On 13/05/2020 at 08:26, Tony Wright said:

Good morning Robert,

A mate has just emailed me to tell me that he's sending me two parcels of locos to be built/fixed.

Some of the 'results' will be sold for Cancer Research UK. 

Speaking of CRUK, Mo and I have sent nothing to the charity since lockdown. No visitors' donations when they come to see LB and no donations from my loco-doctoring at shows. 

The impact on most charities must be horrendous.

Regards,

Tony. 

Reading other threads and listening to the news it looks like you’ll need the two parcels to keep you going until the next exhibition.

As usual people with the smallest voices will loose out the most.

both of you take care,

Robert.

ps on a lighter note if a Millhome Q1 tank ever shows up and you can’t find a home for it, I can find one here!

On 13/05/2020 at 17:26, Tony Wright said:

Good morning Robert,

A mate has just emailed me to tell me that he's sending me two parcels of locos to be built/fixed.

Some of the 'results' will be sold for Cancer Research UK. 

Speaking of CRUK, Mo and I have sent nothing to the charity since lockdown. No visitors' donations when they come to see LB and no donations from my loco-doctoring at shows. 

The impact on most charities must be horrendous.

Regards,

Tony. 

Anything of interest for a certain little convict sh*t down under? 

• Funny 10

1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

Good evening Andrew,

Regards,

Tony. 

Good evening Tony,

61078 was a Woodford locomotive in 49. The Swansea York and York Swansea Restaurant car expresses were often in the hands of Woodford B1's, B17 and V2's. The locomotives would work through to Sheffield in that time period. 61078 moved around a bit between Woodford, Colwick and Leicester in the early fifties, until finally settling back at Woodford in 52. Woodford's locomotives were not the cleanest at the time, but usually mechanically sound.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Out of interest, many Markits' drivers are now supplied with stainless steel tyres

That's interesting. Do you find that that makes any difference to adhesion and, if so, for better or worse?

5 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

That's interesting. Do you find that that makes any difference to adhesion and, if so, for better or worse?

Good morning John,

I haven't tried the stainless steel-tyred drivers yet (I have another J6 to build which will have them). 

Might the coefficient of friction between steel and nickel silver be greater than between nickel silver and nickel silver? I'm not a metallurgist, so I have no idea. 

I suppose nothing looks like steel than steel, and the new drivers have a 'cooler' look to the colour of their tyres. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Jesse Sim said:

Anything of interest for a certain little convict sh*t down under? 

Good morning Jesse,

I don't know; the way you describe yourself! You're none of those things...................

Everything's BR, so probably not. 

One Hornby Brit that needs fixing.

One Bachmann K3 (a good runner).

One Bachmann B1 (typical split chassis wobble).

One Bachmann J39 (A good runner).

One Millholme 2P (heavy, and with a K's HP2M motor! Yet, it runs).

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, davidw said:

That B1 has been beautifully detailed.

Good morning David,

Tony Geary's work is always beautifully-natural; just as the real locos were - scruffy and workaday.

Between us, we produced several B1s from the same source - Bachmann/Replica/Mainline bodies on top of Comet frames, with various other bits to suit. All ran on Stoke Summit, Charwelton and (now) Little Bytham. It's a privilege for me to now own a couple of Tony's B1s. One can't have too many B1s, can one? Well, 411 perhaps! 

Most were derived using the original Comet frames/motion (before it was discovered that Roche drawings should not be trusted), which means the pivot for the die-block is too far back and, thus, the eccentric rod is too short). Later Comet B1 chassis are correct. 

Those earlier ones will not be altered now!

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

19 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Good morning Jesse,

I don't know; the way you describe yourself! You're none of those things...................

Everything's BR, so probably not. 

One Hornby Brit that needs fixing.

One Bachmann K3 (a good runner).

One Bachmann B1 (typical split chassis wobble).

One Bachmann J39 (A good runner).

One Millholme 2P (heavy, and with a K's HP2M motor! Yet, it runs).

Regards,

Tony. 

Morning Tony,

I may well be interested in the J39

Chris