Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

2 hours ago, chris45lsw said:

Tony

I see you use rattle cans where you can to paint coaching stock - do you have suitable matches for crimson and cream?

Thanks

Chris KT

Good morning Chris,

I'm afraid I don't. If I have to paint any carriages in carmine/cream, I brush-paint them using proprietary enamels. 

1187987487_BTKandGETO.jpg.e2c5169a77ad1f8450bf98dacdb0ee01.jpg

I built and painted this pair of Gresleys. The ex-GE section shorty TO is hand-painted with sables, using Railmatch's carmine and cream colours. The BTK is painted with Halfords Burgundy red. 

There is considerable variety of colour in the paints available to represent carmine/cream.

2000840384_BTKCKandTB.jpg.382d30d75258c49e1563f75b5b41cb70.jpg

This is John Houlden's interpretation, airbrush-/mask-applied to a Comet kit he built. I'm not sure of the source of the colours. The CK beyond is Tony Geary's work and beyond that a Tourist Buffet In ex-works condition (painted by Geoff Haynes with decanted Burgundy red) which I built. 

418395956_End-doorTKs.jpg.ee5c7bfa93e410b9ca4af4dc5d613539.jpg

Both these TKs are Tony Geary's work, painted by airbrush (I don't own such a thing). I believe he used Precision's 'faded carmine' for the lower panel on the nearest coach.

I hope this helps (a bit). 

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
typo error
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Headstock said:

With regard to Jonathan's comments,

a load would only be required to overhang at both ends of a bogie bolster if an overhang at one end proved to be excessive.

I think this is demonstrated well in the photo on page 79 of June's Model Rail.  Although a runner has been provided at each end of the Quint, the load appears to overhang just the end nearest the camera and here the overhang doesn't look (to my untrained eye) excessive.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Headstock said:

Good morning Mark,

apologies for the late reply, I had to find the photo. The cross kitting is not really that exciting. The BR bogie bolster D, is in effect a direct continuation of the steel bodied LNER Quint. I think that the steel bodied version came out in 47 or 48. It's a matter of getting the right version of the BR bogie bolster D, with the LNER diamond frame bogies. You will also need to replace the BR style bolsters with LNER ones. I got mine from a Quint that was modified into a Boplate. The kit is of interest, as unlike the wooden bodied quint, the steel sides come in to halves that require joining, I did this off the model in the flat, not a big deal really and easy to hide the joint. An interesting little detail of the prototype, is that the LNER, ever on the hunt for cost savings, equipped them with second hand split spoked wheels from scrapped wagons. Not a great picture in undercoat, but it shows most of the important details.

LNER Quint Steel body conversion.jpg

Thanks Andrew

That's what I'm looking for, I shall give it a go.

Here's a few of my work in progress shots particularly showing the original kit's buffers.  I varied the construction to that suggested in the instructions (I wasn't convinced that butt joining the two floor halves wasn't going to go well) by adding the end and both sides to one floor half and then working outwards to the far end.

I've also included my current 24.5t builds.  Using Parkside's (modified) 21t hopper underframe enables an easier choice of axlebox (plate or roller bearing) and provides more refined brakegear.  Here also I thinned down the top inner edge of the brake lever to suggest a much thinner component, and also replaced the axlebox tie bars with Cambrian's etched version.  I just wish I had done something about the end door handrails.....

Best wishes

Mark

DSCF1676.JPG

DSCF1686.JPG

DSCF1675.JPG

DSCF1674.JPG

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

14 minutes ago, Mark C said:

Thanks Andrew

That's what I'm looking for, I shall give it a go.

Here's a few of my work in progress shots particularly showing the original kit's buffers.  I varied the construction to that suggested in the instructions (I wasn't convinced that butt joining the two floor halves wasn't going to go well) by adding the end and both sides to one floor half and then working outwards to the far end.

I've also included my current 24.5t builds.  Using Parkside's (modified) 21t hopper underframe enables an easier choice of axlebox (plate or roller bearing) and provides more refined brakegear.  Here also I thinned down the top inner edge of the brake lever to suggest a much thinner component, and also replaced the axlebox tie bars with Cambrian's etched version.  I just wish I had done something about the end door handrails.....

Best wishes

Mark

Very tidy work Mark,

the work that you have done on the brake leavers to clear the axle boxes is very effective. I also like your cranks on the Quint for the brake pull rods. Incidentally, the choice of steel rod for your Quint is a good one, it is not often modelled. Two of my Quints and two double bolsters will be carrying the same, though you will not be surprised to here, a slightly different loading arrangement and also colour. A serious business, shifting heavy metal by rail, check out the Beighton disaster, when a single steel plate shifted position.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/history/ww2peopleswar/stories/32/a4045132.shtml

• Informative/Useful 2

5 hours ago, Headstock said:

Good morning Andrew,

looking at the Quint first. If the load was long enough, it would be required to be attached to all five bolsters. You would be seeking to minimize the overhang, not extend it by ignoring one of the bolsters so that it looks cool. I can't quite tell if the load comes out to the full width of the stanchions, If it does, that's fine, as the securing chain can just go over the top. However, it must be attached to the shackles not the stanchions as you have it. The latter are adjustable to the height of the load and are strong enough to resist the tightening of the chain. The stanchions will just bend and the chain will slacken. The Quint has fixed stanchions, If the load is not wide enough to be held by the stanchions, then the securing chain must be wrapped around the load to prevent it from spreading.

Under no circumstances would an overhanging load be attached to a runner when secured to a bogie bolster. When a single or double bolster is being used as a runner the rules are quite clear, The bolster must be removed and stowed so that the load is clear to move free of the runner as the train corners. If it was attached as you have it, you could damage the load, damage the bolster or even derail the train. Finally, with a flexible load as provided, the overhang would be required to be chained around, to stop the load from spreading. It is highly unlikely that your load would make it around the first corner it encountered. Supposing it did, it is so badly attached to the Quint, there would be a good chance of the load shifting for and aft and spreading in a dangerous fashion. I'll get back to you with some figures on maximum allowable overhangs etc when I get a chance. Nice to know you haven't permanently attached the load to the wagons.

Thanks Andrew, I have a much better understanding now. I also had a look at the BR document that Jonathan provide a link to.

Andrew

With the recent observations about the BR green of Bytham's locos, I've taken the following shots by way of comparison...............

161457953_colours01group.jpg.9f6e55e9889f7257e92ef0fcf175d61a.jpg

From left to right we have the painting of Ian Rathbone, Geoff Haynes, me, Ian, Ian and me. The difference between the two A4s is remarkable. 

1808195558_colours02group.jpg.e6f9f0eb5fb31981380532c5ebe96f3e.jpg

And, in this shot from left to right we have the painting of Golden Age (RTR), Geoff Haynes (discount the B1), Geoff, Tony Geary, Ian Rathbone (discount the WDs) and Geoff. 

My observations on this shot are that the GA one is the least-realistic (boiler bands far too prominent) and that Tony Geary's is the most-natural. 

Now three locos, ostensibly in BR green, taken from more or less the same viewpoint...............................

1621652900_colours0360034.jpg.63e4f2fa00ee968f21ed657515fb33b1.jpg

Ian Rathbone's painting.

966293862_colours0460982.jpg.faf8f21eee25f4645b3bd115ec499582.jpg

Geoff Haynes' painting.

1335936328_colours0560508.jpg.9152677db9fda6d3c3c542a792d844f6.jpg

My painting.

All the locos are my work. 

I think the slightly raking light is natural enough. So, 'you pays your money and you takes your choice'..................................

Any comments, please? 

Edited by Tony Wright
typo error
  • Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Headstock said:

Very tidy work Mark,

the work that you have done on the brake leavers to clear the axle boxes is very effective. I also like your cranks on the Quint for the brake pull rods. Incidentally, the choice of steel rod for your Quint is a good one, it is not often modelled. Two of my Quints and two double bolsters will be carrying the same, though you will not be surprised to here, a slightly different loading arrangement and also colour. A serious business, shifting heavy metal by rail, check out the Beighton disaster, when a single steel plate shifted position.

Thank you Andrew

When the bogies are attached I'll add the pull rods from 0.7mm brass wire.  They will both be structurally complete over the next couple of days.  Next up are: two more 24.5t minerals, two Cambrian LMS vans and a Cambrian Sturgeon.

I forgot to add this photo for comparison...the long and short of it...!!

Thanks also for the link to the fascinating report - I hadn't come across that one before.

Best regards

Mark

DSCF1670.JPG

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Headstock said:

Very tidy work Mark,

Thank you Andrew

When the bogies are attached I'll add the pull rods from 0.7mm brass wire.  They will both be structurally complete over the next couple of days.  Next up are: two more 24.5t minerals, two Cambrian LMS vans and a Cambrian Sturgeon.

I forgot to add this photo for comparison...the long and short of it...!!

Thanks also for the link to the fascinating report - I hadn't come across that one before.

Best regards

Mark

DSCF1670.JPG

Edited by Mark C
Missing photo
  • Like 2

I wonder how many of us will have written a 'lockdown diary' when all this nasty business is over? Certainly, I think it'll be forever a different 'normal' henceforth. 

Speaking personally, I've been more prolific in my making of things. Four locos so far, and counting.........And finishing off the point rodding and building a carriage. Because there are no shows to attend, nor visitors to see LB, I've had more time. Even time to paint the shed with Cuprinol preservative! I don't garden, so that's not a drain on time. 

I've had to order more solder and more flux (thankfully, our fantastic post/courier systems are still functioning), and I've had orders from DJH, SE Finecast and Wizard delivered. 

Certainly, looking what others have posted of late, there's some fantastic modelling going on. Please keep them coming. 

Do others think they've been able to make more during this time? If so, please show us.......

Edited by Tony Wright
to clarify a point
  • Like 3

54 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

What's next?

1410057494_8F01.jpg.2af5948bb3aa6a85807404df0edbdaf3.jpg

Along with the L&Y 0-6-0. 

Obviously, the GWR locos are not for me.

Both Keith Pirt and Noel Ingram took pictures of Stanier 8Fs working on the ECML between Retford and New England. 

Before you embark on your next kit would it be possible to show, if you’ve got any, pictures of your pick-up arrangements. I’m working on aDJH J10 so pictures of your recent J17 and J6 might help. Obviously in your own time.

Regards Robert 

Regarding the colours on your Pacifics,  I think they all look great but the A4s side by side certainly looks odd. Are they at the extremes of the ‘normal’? I’m not old enough to have seen BR steam in action so rely on pictures and they can be notoriously unreliable. I  think shade should vary over a large fleet in order to represent locos ex works and those that need shopping and degrees of cleanliness. I hear of locos cleaned with an oily rag and wonder if that makes a difference to the shade. RTR models are the same if not worse in this respect, even from the same manufacturer.

On your layout I don’t think there is much chance of locos standing next to each other for anyone to criticise. 
Enjoy the weekend,

Robert

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

I wonder how many of us will have written a 'lockdown diary' when all this nasty business is over? Certainly, I think it'll be forever a different 'normal' henceforth. 

Speaking personally, I've been more prolific in my making of things. Four locos so far, and counting.........And finishing off the point rodding and building a carriage. Because there are no shows to attend, nor visitors to see LB, I've had more time. Even time to paint the shed with Cuprinol preservative! I don't garden, so that's not a drain on time. 

I've had to order more solder and more flux (thankfully, our fantastic post/courier systems are still functioning), and I've had orders from DJH, SE Finecast and Wizard delivered. 

Certainly, looking what others have posted of late, there's some fantastic modelling going on. Please keep them coming. 

Do others think they've been able to make more during this time? If so, please show us.......

Tony,

I’m in awe! I thought I was doing reasonably well with my A5 kit, but it still doesn’t work well and needs more fettling, so is in the ‘too difficult’ pile for the moment. I find that bit of a kit build the most frustrating and worrying.

I seem to be busier than ever now with the house full of kids and wife whereas I normally have it to myself. And the allotment needs watering and weeding regularly  - I might need those spuds when the country runs out of food!

However as well as the A5, I have managed to get some ballasting done on Gresley Jn which was well overdue, so progress is being made - just much slower than yours! 

Andy

• Like 1

Despite my workflow barely slowing down during the lockdown, i've certainly done more railway modelling so far this year than the entirity of last year. Mostly due to a combination of improvements in personal health and being inspired by all the modelling everyone else has been getting up to. This has involved developing my soldering and metal kit building skills. Along with batch-building some Cambrian Mermaids and Catfish. The latter is certainly an exercise that seems more palatable when one cannot really leave the house.

Unfortunately I have also found myself spending more on the hobby as well. Partly because my stocks of suitable buffers, axleboxes and wheels are getting low. And partly because I find myself browsing a certain website more than usual!

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, thegreenhowards said:

Tony,

I’m in awe! I thought I was doing reasonably well with my A5 kit, but it still doesn’t work well and needs more fettling, so is in the ‘too difficult’ pile for the moment. I find that bit of a kit build the most frustrating and worrying.

I seem to be busier than ever now with the house full of kids and wife whereas I normally have it to myself. And the allotment needs watering and weeding regularly  - I might need those spuds when the country runs out of food!

However as well as the A5, I have managed to get some ballasting done on Gresley Jn which was well overdue, so progress is being made - just much slower than yours! 

Andy

Good evening Andy,

Why doesn't your A5 work well? 

One thing I do with all the locos I build is to ensure that the chassis works perfectly before I'll contemplate building the body. Yes, if it's got outside cylinders/valve gear, these are left to the last, but the chassis must run round the layout perfectly in 'naked' form before any work commences on the body. 

You seem to have all but built the A5 bodywork, yet you say it doesn't work well. Could it be that the bodywork is causing some problems? 

How is the chassis configured? Compensated? If so, solder it all up solid. You'll be surprised at how much better it'll run if rigid! 

Don't get worried. When this is all over, arrange another visit up here and I'll look at it for you.

Regards,

Tony. 

2 hours ago, Erichill16 said:

Before you embark on your next kit would it be possible to show, if you’ve got any, pictures of your pick-up arrangements. I’m working on aDJH J10 so pictures of your recent J17 and J6 might help. Obviously in your own time.

Regards Robert 

Good evening Robert,

My pick-up arrangements are all the same, really. .45mm nickel silver wire soldered to PCB pads fixed (with epoxy) between the frames. The wire then rubs on the rear edge of the insulated drivers. Most of my chassis are live. 

1742278116_pick-ups01.jpg.a0afd3222048051baf608e9379c232d9.jpg

D16/3.

1815827328_pick-ups02.jpg.d9dce4a9e8e4a845913c801d3c1ee4f3.jpg

A2/2.

1916119794_pick-ups03.jpg.a45ac4f9d54b42276c8c31b553c62447.jpg

SR H16.

1953880423_pick-ups04.jpg.00812c2447416fdb373b88f129c67008.jpg

Princess Coronation. This has insulated wheels both sides, so the PCB pads are split in the middle.

682097563_pick-ups05.jpg.35bb83601dabab00efd90e8b0baa0b6f.jpg

B17.

964959180_pick-ups06.jpg.bfef3d4ca23d815e21516e2bf82a1502.jpg

D2.

453454110_pick-ups07.jpg.9b5b99ddf5cf4ad93cdca9fdcea05ffc.jpg

V2.

The arrangements are all variations on a theme, but the principle is consistent.

Some wipers just rub on the rear edge of the flange, but others have a curved end to wipe on the rear of the tyres (the latter, probably superior).

For added protection against shorts, some are sleeved with small-bore plastic tubing. This is available as MERCONTROL 1015 PTFE Flexi-Tube, from GEM. www.lytchettmanor.co.uk

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
typo error
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Tony,

Thanks for the prompt reply. I’ll get cracking tomorrow.

I don’t know if you’re building the 8F just because they ran in your neck of the woods  or because you particularly like them but I do like them. I hope you’re  getting well recompensed for the other two though!
Regards 

Robert

I think I've been productive during lock down. As a secondary music teacher I have to set and mark work for my classes, attend online meetings, but as I no longer run a department I don't have the workload I did but am still kept busy for quite a few hours a day, I walk 2-3 miles a day and it is nice to have some time to practice my piano skills as it is not my main instrument.

Roughly in order, modelling in EM, I have finished the weathering on the Claud conversion.

IMG_20200321_101554669.jpg.bd1d42e25f55af1b027e21af19073f5c.jpg

Laid the plain track on my next micro layout, wiring has now begun. The layout is being built as a series of small scenes.

IMG_20200516_114848606.jpg.aa38b36fba8829c3fa367bb0336d5adc.jpg

Finished detailing a Dapol LMS brake van for the early 50s steam period.

IMG_20200516_153256230.jpg.bf3609e55dacf67693d942a57137c748.jpg

Weathered a Hornby Toad

IMG_20200518_212910083.jpg.4eab1dc8be925db75d61c11587289df6.jpg

Started building a batch of Airfix mineral wagons picked up cheap using some Masokits W irons, an experiment really. They are for the 1960s period of my layout.

IMG_20200518_221113169.jpg.092722695f7ef58ed652469c704a4aeb.jpg

Most of these have been seen on here previously so apologies for repeat posting but put together it adds up to more than I thought. I get up early and go to bed late so do have quite a long day. I do a lot of my modelling after the family have gone to bed, often an hour or so a day and tend to use Saturday mornings

Martyn

• Like 16

12 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Good morning Chris,

I'm afraid I don't. If I have to paint any carriages in carmine/cream, I brush-paint them using proprietary enamels. 

1187987487_BTKandGETO.jpg.e2c5169a77ad1f8450bf98dacdb0ee01.jpg

I built and painted this pair of Gresleys. The ex-GE section shorty TO is hand-painted with sables, using Railmatch's carmine and cream colours. The BTK is painted with Halfords Burgundy red. 

There is considerable variety of colour in the paints available to represent carmine/cream.

2000840384_BTKCKandTB.jpg.382d30d75258c49e1563f75b5b41cb70.jpg

This is John Houlden's interpretation, airbrush-/mask-applied to a Comet kit he built. I'm not sure of the source of the colours. The CK beyond is Tony Geary's work and beyond that a Tourist Buffet In ex-works condition (painted by Geoff Haynes with decanted Burgundy red) which I built. 

418395956_End-doorTKs.jpg.ee5c7bfa93e410b9ca4af4dc5d613539.jpg

Both these TKs are Tony Geary's work, painted by airbrush (I don't own such a thing). I believe he used Precision's 'faded carmine' for the lower panel on the nearest coach.

I hope this helps (a bit). 

Regards,

Tony. 

Thanks, Tony, yes a bit;  confirms what I suspected.  I have tried car cans for crimson in the past but probably a bit garish.  Still I'm glad my query prompted some lovely pictures of carriages!

Chris KT

• Agree 1