Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

The next vantage point was the Down fast home's ladder.

By leaning out very far (dangerously!), the intrepid picture-taker managed to get this.

100720802_Upfasthome60102.jpg.237013b751fe4a8831c6bed57a7eba49.jpg

This works less well because the too-tight curve into/out of the fiddle yard can be seen. 'Realism' is thus lost. 

A far safer shot was obtained from the footbridge steps.

1581200469_footbridgesteps60039.jpg.09a02d1704e41b5d81ff891ca6886b5a.jpg

SANDWICH (Wills/Scratch/Wright) races northwards......

• Like 16

The last bout of climbing for day the saw our photographer scaling the heights of the Down fast starter.

1876265592_Downfaststarter60119.jpg.f2ade78d0b99d577295f79d870403acb.jpg

Just in time to grab a shot of the northbound Queen of Scots. 

1442204144_Downfaststarter62070.jpg.67d9634c1347e3529b00bcab297de719.jpg

And a little later on, a local freight.

Though I think these elevated shots 'work' (up to a degree), they do highlight the 'narrow gauge' appearance of OO Gauge - even finescale OO trackwork. 

• Like 19

5 hours ago, dibateg said:

Camden shed looks impressive Iain - especially managing to tape together all those A4 sheets!

The Craftsman A5 - I built two of these, a nice little kit, but with some fundamental errors for the unwary. The width of the bunker is too narrow, it should be a few mm wider and present a 'big back' appearance. I think there was a mistake in one of the classic drawings that was used to design the kit. To me the cab looks too low and I suspect it was scaled from the top of the lip of the tank side and not the bottom. There was another kit, Wills maybe - it was chunkier in white metal, but the proportions looked better. I built 69800, which was a Leicester engine, but don't seem to have a photo of the model. Maybe you have one Tony?

8Fs - One of the things that converted me to 7mm scale was Richard Lamberts MOK 8F. A real Rolls Royce kit and a joy to build. I've always liked 8Fs since having the Hornby Dublo 48109 as a child. I borrowed Richards model whilst I built mine - I still don't think he's painted his one!

P1000368.JPG.b1ac532aafa4393c9a7c7dd26b745099.JPG

That BR emblem looks rather yellow now...  48396 was a Canklow engine, I chose it as I had an excellent photo of it double heading a freight south from Woodford Halse with Bickmarsh Hall.. Here it is with A DJH Fairburn - which is at the opposite end of the spectrum, more errors and compromises and omissions, than you can imagine. So it's been heavily re-worked

wt_628.JPG.c88dc3d7759650d15dfcec485f1c71d2.JPG

Regards

Tony

Good afternoon Tony, It's pictures of models like these that provide the almost irresistible urge to drop everything 4mm and move up to 7. Luckily, common sense prevails and my head tells me it's too late in the day (metaphorically) and in any case, I would never have enough room, even if I had enough time left. These pictures really bring out the detail and feeling of sheer size of the real thing, though. Fantastic models and great finishing/weathering. If I were 25 years younger, I'd be very tempted to make the jump!

The white metal A5s you were referring too were Nucast. Here's an example of mine, 69807. It was one of the first white metal kits I built (it shows!), but I'm still very fond of it as it brings back memories of when they were common on the Nottingham-Derby and Pinxton trains in the late 50s. It now runs on scratch built chassis.

IMG_4832_rdcd.jpg.9be10ad51ce96b4a6eec1a3092b30922.jpg

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

1 hour ago, Clem said:

Good afternoon Tony, It's pictures of models like these that provide the almost irresistible urge to drop everything 4mm and move up to 7. Luckily, common sense prevails and my head tells me it's too late in the day (metaphorically) and in any case, I would never have enough room, even if I had enough time left. These pictures really bring out the detail and feeling of sheer size of the real thing, though. Fantastic models and great finishing/weathering. If I were 25 years younger, I'd be very tempted to make the jump!

The white metal A5s you were referring too were Nucast. Here's an example of mine, 69807. It was one of the first white metal kits I built (it shows!), but I'm still very fond of it as it brings back memories of when they were common on the Nottingham-Derby and Pinxton trains in the late 50s. It now runs on scratch built chassis.

IMG_4832_rdcd.jpg.9be10ad51ce96b4a6eec1a3092b30922.jpg

That's a very natural-looking A5, Clem,

I'm not surprised you're fond of it. 

I think they're a very elegant prototype - as handsome a Pacific tank as ever ran in this country.

Strange, isn't it, when Robinson turned the wheel arrangement round, it resulted in the only ugly engine he ever designed?

My sightings of the ex-GC big tanks were at Manchester London Road, towards the ends of the lives.

1048202472_A569814Grantham21_08.602251.jpg.e2ff5011f9c038c6d5f828dc95a0e6c3.jpg

I can certainly justify an A5 (or two) on LB, because a few were shedded at Grantham in the late-'50s. 

1835884693_A569832DarlingtonShed24_04.5543H83.jpg.fb2b7a1c4c123a332d7a8b9dfffa7586.jpg

The later build ones were longer and some had round buffers on the front. 

Because the cabs were lower, the spectacles were of a different shape. And the oval buffers were of a different pattern to the originals. 

307626679_DB1557.69842DarlingtonWorks.jpg.9352a91413b8b92b4c75834051e619bf.jpg

1666547558_43H.8.5-69834StocktonShed24_04_55.jpg.332b0c2736217fb491d54853fc6b2f2c.jpg

The vacuum standpipe was on the opposite side. Oh, those joys of loco-picking! 

Though the GC Pacific tanks were very good-looking, I'm not sure that could be said of the ex-NER A7s.

1668065454_A769783-SpringheadShed24_07.55small.jpg.65baae7fe6c5da83cb6123dd1e319baa.jpg

It would be interesting replicating the creases in this one!

Please (all) observe copyright restrictions. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 13

22 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

I thought plunger pick-ups were a good idea, John,

Until I tried them.

Never again! They stuck, and for absolute adjustment the wheels had to be taken off too many times.

Now, I avoid them like the plague......

Regards,

Tony. 

Tony, out of curiosity can you remember what type you were using?  Providing care is taken to locate them at the correct radial position I find they don't need any further set up now I know what to do .   If my memory is correct mine were Allan Gibson - I hope memory is correct because if I have a go at a C12 or J6 this winter i will need some more.   On my first loco build (a Little Engines J11) I had planned to use the same method you use but this was some 30 years ago and I couldn't locate any small amounts of 'springy' wire in Canada and then  I saw the plunger pick-ups in a Magazine article.

6 hours ago, Killybegs said:

I have used them successfully in the past on a High Level pannier chassis. I only used the nylon sleeve from the Alan Gibson kit, substituting a length of brass rod for the plunger. This was drilled to take phosphor spring wire soldered to PCB strip in the same way that you would for bearing on the tyres. This gives much softer springing. See below.

1900964421_plungerpickup.jpg.cec2d08aedaaa14d419fdc9038b7bab6.jpg

Any chance of a bigger picture.  That is a most interesting alternate and avoids the 'tail' issue

4 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

That's a very natural-looking A5, Clem,

I'm not surprised you're fond of it. 

I think they're a very elegant prototype - as handsome a Pacific tank as ever ran in this country.

Strange, isn't it, when Robinson turned the wheel arrangement round, it resulted in the only ugly engine he ever designed?

My sightings of the ex-GC big tanks were at Manchester London Road, towards the ends of the lives.

1048202472_A569814Grantham21_08.602251.jpg.e2ff5011f9c038c6d5f828dc95a0e6c3.jpg

I can certainly justify an A5 (or two) on LB, because a few were shedded at Grantham in the late-'50s. 

1835884693_A569832DarlingtonShed24_04.5543H83.jpg.fb2b7a1c4c123a332d7a8b9dfffa7586.jpg

The later build ones were longer and some had round buffers on the front. 

Because the cabs were lower, the spectacles were of a different shape. And the oval buffers were of a different pattern to the originals. 

307626679_DB1557.69842DarlingtonWorks.jpg.9352a91413b8b92b4c75834051e619bf.jpg

1666547558_43H.8.5-69834StocktonShed24_04_55.jpg.332b0c2736217fb491d54853fc6b2f2c.jpg

The vacuum standpipe was on the opposite side. Oh, those joys of loco-picking! 

Though the GC Pacific tanks were very good-looking, I'm not sure that could be said of the ex-NER A7s.

1668065454_A769783-SpringheadShed24_07.55small.jpg.65baae7fe6c5da83cb6123dd1e319baa.jpg

It would be interesting replicating the creases in this one!

Please (all) observe copyright restrictions. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Good evening Tony. I'm very much with you on elegance of the A5s and just wish one had been preserved. The A5/2s were not the only ones with round buffers at the front:

69809_001.jpg.8aa9d946968848aabe43f91b459118ee.jpg

69809 entering Grantham. Note the Diagram 246 Brake third next to the engine and the Thompson Lavatory Comp behind. I've got an isinglass 3-D kit for one of the D246s but I just can't see how I can get the glazing looking OK so I'll be looking to cut and shut a couple of Kirks where I'll be able to flush glaze it, more realistically. So many blooming projects to do! Thinking of this is the nearest I get to feeling pressure in lockdown! :-)

I quite like the A7s which I believe were a 3 cylinder freight engine.

Oh, and like you I have a fear of heights. It's dogged me all my life and even cost me a day's train-spotting at Crewe in January 1959, But that's another story.

Edited by Clem
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

A few pages back was a brief discussion about cheap versus expensive paint brushes, which I've just read.

I best paint brushes I've ever found are the Winsor and Newton Series 7 Finest Sable.  They are very expensive.  A set of sizes 5, 6 and 7 will cost you over £140.  However, there is nothing like them for bodywork jobs that you can't (or in my case choose not to) use an airbrush.  They keep their shape and last forever - I still have some over 20 years old and although their point isn't as sharp as it once was they are still fine for a proper, careful job, so all that time cleaning them as soon as they were done wasn't wasted.  They are not something to be bought online because not every Series 7 brush has a prefect point and you can sort out  good one. 

However, I would never use a series 7 for weathering, or let one near acrylic paint.  There are a lot of decent cheap brushes around, and after a lifetime of brush-cherishing I am getting used to the idea of throwaways. For everyday use I've found the Hornby brushes with the orange orthopedic handles to give good results and last a reasonable. For the more brutal techniques such as drybrushing, stippling, textured paint, and sloshing acrylic washes around  I have started using really cheapo brushes from the local craft shop and online.  Some have turned into miniature chimney sweep brushes the moment the pain pot was opened, but often they are surprisingly resilient - and if you have to chuck one in the bin and reach for another then they really are very cheap. 

How have others adapted to the changing times for painting?

Tone

• Informative/Useful 3

54 minutes ago, Theakerr said:

Tony, out of curiosity can you remember what type you were using?  Providing care is taken to locate them at the correct radial position I find they don't need any further set up now I know what to do .   If my memory is correct mine were Allan Gibson - I hope memory is correct because if I have a go at a C12 or J6 this winter i will need some more.   On my first loco build (a Little Engines J11) I had planned to use the same method you use but this was some 30 years ago and I couldn't locate any small amounts of 'springy' wire in Canada and then  I saw the plunger pick-ups in a Magazine article.

I think mine were Alan Gibson ones.

I found drilling holes in the frames to locate them a fag, and I could never get the springing right. Maybe I was just prejudiced and not prepared to persevere.

As I've shown, I just use .45mm nickel silver now.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

Evening Tony, et al

It's finished!

DSC09948.JPG.9b1e64d3cb8605c43c2864a963ca3038.JPG

In the end it took me 35 days, mainly a couple of hours each evening, so I've only equalled my previous record. I'll never be a quick builder ...

DSC09955.JPG.752a313ffdb5f211ef1ff2d6067c4cda.JPG

Looking a bit lost over Shap (although a small batch of them did work the Stainmore route in the 1930s for a few years out of Kirkby Stephen shed)

Full story on the Grantham thread, including some video of the above train in motion.

Now - what shall I build next?

(great to see everyone else's efforts. I must go back over the last 24 hours and start clicking the 'like' button)

Looking good, Graham,

I assume you fit the handrails after painting? They should really be body-colour.

I always fit mine before painting. That way they can be securely soldered in place.

So, about 70 hours for you to finish it? Time well spent, but too long for me. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I bought a previously built loco from Tony a while ago, A NuCast A5

1574107258_A5bought.JPG.f22f4c00c5376e6ad0dfbcb0dfeb4a3f.JPG

I have now repainted it into BR Lined black, it has some new frames above the front pony truck.

The NER 4-6-2T loco (A6 and A7) are very different by comparison..

1136705330_LittleEnginesA669783(1280x401).jpg.6fc356944ab005d25c0a726e10cde137.jpg

A Little Engines kit, this one has home made plunger pickups which work very well.

of course the Great Central did produce the 2-6-4T as well as the A5.

225088875_ZeppelinGCL1(1280x396).jpg.df13896d402631a4f1fc952b1283da75.jpg

A Zeppelin - scratchbuilt by my late father from Brass sheet. It has a MG Sharp gearbox with a D13 driving that through a neoprene tube,,,

None of these use Nickel Silver pick ups.. these are antiques Tony!  Phosphor Bronze wire has been available for a long time, it is more "springy" than Nickel Silver and acts a a self lubricant. (quoted from an engineering materials web site " These alloys are notable for their toughness, strength, low coefficient of friction, and fine grain". I keep hearing squeaks from the few Nickel Silver pick up fitted locos I have. These will be changed this week.

Baz

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

I haven't done much modelling recently.  A month ago I was volunteering six days a week with the London Ambulance Service - this is now down to one day a week.  During lockdown I have been working on the South Western Circle's photographic collections, from which I have selected an image of the most handsome Pacific tank in the country, Robert Urie's H16 class and known as the "Green Tanks".  The image is out of copyright, obviously, but please respect our ownership.

Bill

H16 516 c B.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Barry O said:

I bought a previously built loco from Tony a while ago, A NuCast A5

1574107258_A5bought.JPG.f22f4c00c5376e6ad0dfbcb0dfeb4a3f.JPG

I have now repainted it into BR Lined black, it has some new frames above the front pony truck.

The NER 4-6-2T loco (A6 and A7) are very different by comparison..

1136705330_LittleEnginesA669783(1280x401).jpg.6fc356944ab005d25c0a726e10cde137.jpg

A Little Engines kit, this one has home made plunger pickups which work very well.

of course the Great Central did produce the 2-6-4T as well as the A5.

225088875_ZeppelinGCL1(1280x396).jpg.df13896d402631a4f1fc952b1283da75.jpg

A Zeppelin - scratchbuilt by my late father from Brass sheet. It has a MG Sharp gearbox with a D13 driving that through a neoprene tube,,,

None of these use Nickel Silver pick ups.. these are antiques Tony!  Phosphor Bronze wire has been available for a long time, it is more "springy" than Nickel Silver and acts a a self lubricant. (quoted from an engineering materials web site " These alloys are notable for their toughness, strength, low coefficient of friction, and fine grain". I keep hearing squeaks from the few Nickel Silver pick up fitted locos I have. These will be changed this week.

Baz

The L1 is hardly an elegant design but just looks like a brute! I just love those old bullhead rail coupling rods. Proper "old school" and they don't look bad at all. The shape is actually not bad if you thin the wider web to match he other one and add some bosses and oilboxes. The curve from the fluted part to the webs is a better shape than many etches.

Several sources say the design is based on the LD&ECR 0-6-4T but with a pony truck to be kinder to the track and looking at that, I can see why they say that.

I have used phosphor bronze wire, nickel silver wire, even brass wire for pick ups (the brass works OK but wears very quickly) but recent locos have had Beryllium Copper, which is ultra springy. They all work! Somebody once told me that pick ups using similar materials are not as good as those using a different metal to the wheel tread. My technical knowledge stops there!  

I am not keen on plungers due to problems with ones sticking. Malcolm tried them on a few locos and regretted it. Anything but very fine wire would alter the way the spring worked and the constant movement caused a few solder joints to fracture and the wires fell off. They collect dirt on the plunger from the back of the wheel and it can jam them in or out. I have seen designs that allow removal from inside the frames without disturbing the wheels but unless you are really struggling to fit conventional pick ups I can't see any great advantages. So far, touch wood, I have always found a way to fit wipers.    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
On 23/05/2020 at 20:35, Fishplate said:

Hi Dave

I came across this route learning video for Grosmont to Battersea Junction on YouTube. See 12 mins 56 secs. I knew there was a bridge like that on the line. Hope this helps solve your question.

Best Regards

John 

I think you meant Battersby (N Yorks) not Battersea (S West London).

As for what I've been doing in lockdown my volunteering for the SLS is always by working from home so lockdown has had less impact than on some. I finished off production editing the new Internal Combustion Traction book (now out) and the regular Journal  & Newsletter plus some website updates.

spacer.png

As for my own modelling (or should it be bodging!) the shunting plank control panel has finally been wired in and my r-t-r Hornby Castle fixed so that the tender no longer regularly derails.

Edited by john new
Inserted the links.
  • Like 3

On 23/05/2020 at 17:58, Chamby said:

The extra modelling time for me during lockdown has been a little different.  Over the winter months, I have been finishing off a garage conversion that was originally intended to be a railway room, but has now become my wife’s painting studio.  The upside of this is that our previously shared hobby room is now mine exclusively, so I have been very much focused on expanding into her former workspace over the last few weeks.  

First up was a widening of the layout to allow the end curves to be eased with a transition curve of 48” leading to a minimum radius of 36” rather than the tight 24” previously used.  So... extending the baseboards, lifting the old track, laying, painting and ballasting the new, re-wiring both track and the repositioned baseboard joins, what sounds a simple task has taken quite a while.

Since then, I took a dislike to the billiard table smooth baseboard tops, so have attacked them with a multi-tool to create a low embankment that will both improve the scenic profile and give better photographic opportunities as the scenic side of things progress.  Apologies for posting the later-than-usual-epoch locomotive and stock, it is intended for a club layout but is what was running at the time.

Another outcome of the ‘studio’ arrangement is that a part of the garage conversion will become a modelling workbench with sufficient space for a permanently set up spray booth and DCC programming station.  So so it’s been way more DIY than modelling work for me, but very much driven by the hobby opportunities to come.

Good evening Chamby,

I don't think that I've seen your layout before. I very much like the sweep of it, what a difference your new curve makes.  I always like the look of an embankment that forms a near horizon against the sky. The M&GN on LB does that quite well. Your newly created embankment, reminds me a little of Staverton Road on the GC's London extension. That would make a dramatic 'watch the trains go by' setting for a layout in my opinion. I think you should keep cutting away and make it longer.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Clem said:

Good evening Tony. I'm very much with you on elegance of the A5s and just wish one had been preserved. The A5/2s were not the only ones with round buffers at the front:

69809_001.jpg.8aa9d946968848aabe43f91b459118ee.jpg

69809 entering Grantham. Note the Diagram 246 Brake third next to the engine and the Thompson Lavatory Comp behind. I've got an isinglass 3-D kit for one of the D246s but I just can't see how I can get the glazing looking OK so I'll be looking to cut and shut a couple of Kirks where I'll be able to flush glaze it, more realistically. So many blooming projects to do! Thinking of this is the nearest I get to feeling pressure in lockdown! :-)

I quite like the A7s which I believe were a 3 cylinder freight engine.

Oh, and like you I have a fear of heights. It's dogged me all my life and even cost me a day's train-spotting at Crewe in January 1959, But that's another story.

Good evening Clem,

I would be interested in your opinions on the Isinglass dia. 246, it sounds like you have the kit. The fact that you favour the Kirk is................interesting.

I Quite agree on the A7 and I don't see them as ugly at all. The A5 tanks, I'm not sure if elegant would be the word I would use. I see them as a big lovable bug that I must pursue.

I can't say that I have fear of heights, just falling off things.

Edited by Headstock
add word
  • Like 2

Mm, LNER Pacific tanks. The A6 class were elegant, especially in their NER finery. The A7s were no-nonsense freight locomotives (one was fitted with a continuous braking system and tried on Newcastle to Consett via Ebchester passenger trains, but the experiment didn't last). The A8s were chunky looking rebuilds of the H1 4-4-4Ts, but lasted well and were successful. The A5s were purposeful in appearance, and again were successful and long lived.

In my opinion, of course :)

Mark

• Like 2

On 24/05/2020 at 03:32, Chuffer Davies said:

Hi Doug,

You are a man after my own heart. I too like to build the underside of my models to match the level of detail on top.  But as you have discovered this introduces new challenges when it comes to pick ups.

Given your situation you might consider an alternate approach to fitting wiper pickups that removes them from the underside of the model.  There are several methods I have seen over the years but the method I have used the most is illustrated in the following diagram. 

image.png.c658102021a25ccc41d8726f832e97fa.png

I use phosphor bronze strip but I expect Nickel Silver would be just as good.  The pickup is soldered to the copper clad which itself is firmly glued  to the top edge of the inside face of the frame.  

There are two things to watch out for with this approach.  The first is that the curve at the top of the spring mustn't be so tight as to allow it to touch the top of the frame.  The other thing to ensure is that the spring doesn't short against the underside of the footplate but this is unlikely to be a problem with a OO chassis.

Regards,

Frank

Have you considered just using the pony and tender wheels for pick up?

• Like 1

Well JRG, I will let you see both chassis soon! (we are allowed 20 at home from Monday next week, so our meetings may start up again) the issue with up and overs is the splashers to the V2's which are over the top of the wheels. On the Scalefour list there is a photo of a black 5 with the same amount of trouble! So I will see where I can thread things through tonight....  After I have done loco Number 2.  Here is the state of play with the first V2 for brakes!  

IMG-20200524-WA0001.jpeg.1379ef28b006b5d68d725f94bd9291fe.jpeg

I am finding if there is problems I take a week or 2 to think them through and apply the solution.... hence the V2's have stayed stationary for about 4 weeks... (then again the work bench needed a really good tidy up... My riveter had disappeared (Ok found in the garage near to where I thought I had put it down) and My 10Ba tap had gone missing on the work bench... found hiding against one of the walls.... (I must remind my self to put it back in the tap container with my other one!)  

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Here's what I've been doing with quarantine modelling. I have continued with my "fine-scale" Thomas project (from a Bachmann Thomas), mainly painting the faces. I found that two coats of Vallejo Sky Grey to give really good coverage.

I have also been trying to work on his running plate. I figured out that the original running plate is 2mm too long, and the curve at the front is squished by around 1mm, which makes it look like the curve goes to far down vertically, although it doesn't. I set about trying to fix this by scratchbuilding a new running plate, but I cannot cut the curve properly. At all.

I have a few options:

1. Try to forget the difference with the curve and just shorten the Bachmann running plate by 2mm.

2. Shorten the running plate and attempt to scratchbuild just the curve.

3. Keep trying to scratchbuilt the complete running plate.

4. Buy a (slightly incorrect, but more correct overall) running plate from ShapeWays.

5. Try to just forget the error completely.

What do you guys think? I'll include a couple of pictures to show what I mean. I'm kind of leaning towards option 1 or 2.

If I do go with option two, does anyone have suggestions for how to cut a curve into plasticard? I've seen pictures that show people have done it, I just can't do it myself. Thanks!

Here are the pictures:

ThomasandGordon5.png

20200524_211711.jpg

• Like 1