Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

34 minutes ago, jwealleans said:

You missed a trick, though - forming the roof round a beer bottle (which you'd have had to empty first).

Beer bottle?  I thought Oz beer came in "Tinnies".

Bill

• Funny 2

1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

Coincidentally, as we swung into (the real) Station Road the other day, I pondered to Mo 'I wonder how many other Station Roads there must be in the country?'; retaining the name, even though there's not been a station in them for decades. And, in Castle Bytham's Station Road's case, not even a railway.

Not limited to the UK either Tony.

My brother in law lives in the equivalent in the north east of Germany.

Bernard

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, Geep7 said:

Am I the only one who shudders at the term "train station"?

That's the LEAST of the worries with this. Incidentally, the "New Schools" was also a lie for a few years, but they do exist now.

• Agree 1

46 minutes ago, Geep7 said:

But isn't it where trains become stationary to allow passengers on and off?

;-)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, grahame said:

But isn't it where trains become stationary to allow passengers on and off?

;-)

This precise subject was discussed - at some length - last week, in another thread.

John Isherwood.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Coincidentally, as we swung into (the real) Station Road the other day, I pondered to Mo 'I wonder how many other Station Roads there must be in the country?'; retaining the name, even though there's not been a station in them for decades. And, in Castle Bytham's Station Road's case, not even a railway.

This reminds me of an occasion several years ago when we were researching Clayton railway station.  The railway was closed in 1963 and completely demolished soon after to make way for housing.  We set up a stand in the local church during the annual Clayton Dickensian Market with a display of pictures, maps and some static models  in the hope that  some of the visitors might have additional photographs of the station that they could share with us.  

The display generated significant interest amongst those attending the event, but despite one of only two main roads running through the village being called Station Road I was taken aback by the number of visitors who were genuinely amazed to hear that there had once been a railway station in Clayton.  How could they not join the dots?

Sadly despite the number of people visiting our display we failed to gain any new information about, or photographs of the station.  We still had a most enjoyable day out though.

Frank

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Here is my most recent lockdown project completion.  It is an ER dining triplet, but not one of Gresley’s articulated beauties. This one is dedicated to ‘Headstock’ of this parish as I know how much he loves Mk 1s!

98679286-A537-4AFC-8658-5C7E227C11DE.jpeg.8009176fbcb0590f62892885a362efe0.jpeg

This is a RFO/RK/RSO triplet. Such triplets formed the catering core of various ‘Festival of Britain’ demonstration Mk 1 rakes in 1951. On the ECML it was ‘The Heart of Midlothian’ which was so treated. The d.700 RK is made from Comet sides on a Southern Pride body while the RSO is a complete Southern Pride kit. They RFO is pure Bachmann which I have just renumbered and weathered.

Views of the complete 13 car rake In action can be seen on my layout thread.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Geep7 said:

I disagree entirely,

Definitely not. There must be thousands like you who find the description abhorrent, of which I'm definitely one! 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 8
  • Agree 9

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Jesse Sim said:

If I may toot my own horn? 

I won a bid for a DS LNER Perishables van on eBay last week and it arrived on Monday. I decided on doing a live video on one of the Facebook groups I frequently post on. The reason being was I always hear the “it’s too hard for me”, “I lack the skills to solder a kit together”, so I decided to do this live video and build the kit over stages. To help and prove that it’s fairly easily and simple to do.

An hours work on Monday, another hours work yesterday and half an hour today, overall about 2.5 hours long, with me jabbering on, the kits finished, apart from painting and putting the transfers on. I really am proud of myself, as I was always scared of starting white metal or brass kits and now to be able to show and help others in building one really makes me see how far I’ve come. 
It also runs very sweetly!!!!! 

686AA74D-DEEB-4CB8-8A7E-DC4FE4C9000F.jpeg

E23C4532-5447-4ADB-BD28-DBA6E4FC1BDE.jpeg

No stopping you now.

• Like 6
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

Though not as common as it once was. Two local instances; Seaton (Devon) lost it's branch line in the 1960s, and what was Station Road is now Harbour Road, which may, I think, have been its name before the railway existed.

In nearby Axminster, road alterations have meant that the former Station Road no longer provides vehicular access to that establishment, and is now Western Way. There is a gateway roughly where the connection once was, but only for the benefit of tankers delivering to the local Tesco filling station, which occupies a portion of the former Goods Yard.  

I'm guessing there must be many similar examples.  

John

A Station Road in Sussex is only half a road. The municipal boundary runs down the middle of the carriageway so the western side is Station Road, Portslade and the eastern side is Boundary Road, Hove. Oddly, Portslade Station itself is in Hove, actually.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

I disagree entirely,

Definitely not. There must be thousands like you who find the description abhorrent, of which I'm definitely one! 

Regards,

Tony. 

At the risk of starting Stationgate all over again, while I prefer "railway station" as it is what I grew up with I can't argue against "train station" because that is where trains stop - following the same logic as "bus station" and "coach station".

• Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

A Station Road in Sussex is only half a road. The municipal boundary runs down the middle of the carriageway so the western side is Station Road, Portslade and the eastern side is Boundary Road, Hove. Oddly, Portslade Station itself is in Hove, actually.

You've made my poor brain hurt.:jester:

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi Tony,

After my slightly dragging the thread off course earlier, I thought I should at least ask something that is on topic.

I've always admired your layout photography, and one thing i've been wondering whilst looking at your last few shots. Do you use full manual mode or aperture priority? I use a DSLR as well, but still only have the standard 18 - 55mm kit lens, plus a telephoto (which is no use for model photos of course), and I sometimes still struggle to get the full scene in focus. In the past, I have dabbled with focus stacking, but it requires spending way too much time on Photoshop. Would you recommend I invest in a better wide-angle lense, or am I just not doing something right?

Best regards, Chris

53 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

At the risk of starting Stationgate all over again, while I prefer "railway station" as it is what I grew up with I can't argue against "train station" because that is where trains stop - following the same logic as "bus station" and "coach station".

Yep, I don't find it a problem. It's just a bit of colloquial language and I guess most people know what is meant by it so at least it serves as effective communication. It's rather like those who call a gas holder a gas-o-meter when it doesn't meter gas but stores it as a buffer for usage demand and provides local district pressure and back pressure for production. Or those who call a crane fly a daddy long-legs when a daddy long-legs is a spider. And perhaps by being over pedantic about terminology risks alienating people when we really need support in the hobby and interest shown.

Edited by grahame
  • Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Geep7 said:

I use a DSLR as well, but still only have the standard 18 - 55mm kit lens, plus a telephoto (which is no use for model photos of course), and I sometimes still struggle to get the full scene in focus. In the past, I have dabbled with focus stacking, but it requires spending way too much time on Photoshop. Would you recommend I invest in a better wide-angle lense, or am I just not doing something right?

Quite often those kit short telephoto lenses are very good optics. However, I tend to use a fixed 40mm micro/macro for model photography in aperture priority mode and stopped down to the smallest it will go (around f22), set on a tripod and the shutter triggered by timer. I have used image staking (not in Photoshop but Zerenne stacker) and all you need to do is load (copy in all the pics) and click on the stack button and off it goes working on the stacked image. It takes longer to take all the pics.

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Geep7 said:

The term grates with me as well, even though in the present day it *may* be technically correct.

Surely (accepting I may be wrong on this) the term came about because the railway station was where one went to use one of the many services provided by the railway 'back in the day'. For instance passenger luggage in advance, parcels, to send carrier pigeons and so on.

Regardless, it will be Railway Station for me until the day they nail me in my box. (Oh yes! That reminds me. I once saw a coffin being unloaded from the train at Southampton.)

• Like 6
  • Agree 7

2 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

Here is my most recent lockdown project completion.  It is an ER dining triplet, but not one of Gresley’s articulated beauties. This one is dedicated to ‘Headstock’ of this parish as I know how much he loves Mk 1s!

98679286-A537-4AFC-8658-5C7E227C11DE.jpeg.8009176fbcb0590f62892885a362efe0.jpeg

This is a RFO/RK/RSO triplet. Such triplets formed the catering core of various ‘Festival of Britain’ demonstration Mk 1 rakes in 1951. On the ECML it was ‘The Heart of Midlothian’ which was so treated. The d.700 RK is made from Comet sides on a Southern Pride body while the RSO is a complete Southern Pride kit. They RFO is pure Bachmann which I have just renumbered and weathered.

Views of the complete 13 car rake In action can be seen on my layout thread.

Good afternoon Andy,

my ears must be burning.

I have no love for MK 1's but I don't hate them. Their stock rises if modellers are taking the time and effort to build them. Catering carriages of all types are always of interest. Yours get three gold stars, being built by yourself, being based on a real prototype and despite being MK 1's, they avoid the cookie cutter phenomenon. However, I'm nocking one star off, for getting the division line between the crimson and cream band in the wrong place on the lower bodyside!

My lack of love is basically that

1. They are boring, a virus of uniformity.

2. They are ugly, not in an interesting way, just boring ugly.

3. Real word proliferation, leading to the disappearance of a wonderful diversity of elegant, individual, interesting, quirky, if unsafe rolling stock. The alternative is safe but a bit boring

4. model railway proliferation, except for one or two  loonies, people just buy MK1's fully formed, (or should that be malformed) leading to the disappearance of a wonderful diversity of elegant, individual, interesting, quirky, modelling. The alternative is .........................you guessed it.

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2