Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

One other survivor until 2008 was the stump of the yard crane.......

291487500_cranepostexposed01.jpg.5ca39180a5879b627926e670aef8e5a0.jpg

Taken in January 2008, one local chap had tried to unearth it and preserve it! 

The arrangement of the goods yard can be seen, including my car at the time. 

1346986458_cranepostexposed02.jpg.462df6c35726165e2e5ddcb2c8a11dbe.jpg

Despite the chap's best efforts, it was too deep-rooted and was eventually ripped out by a digger - and, presumably, scrapped. 

677978568_cranepost.jpg.6af2573b7298317bc057edecd673be28.jpg

Beforehand - a bit like an iceberg! 

1814230767_LittleBytham2009.jpg.bf975b9edeb4f496603be17cef34cd36.jpg

And, a year later, just surviving rubble. 

The modern brick-building has now gone as well.

Such is progress.........

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Gold

So many railway buildings have been demolished for no good reason when they could have found other uses.

Even now, we see many abandoned and left to rot so that demolition becomes inevitable. This is so wasteful of resources.

• Agree 3

Dereliction, demolition and building sites can all make great modelling subjects and projects. And models of buildings, infrastructure and architecture that gets demolished is one way of preserving the memory of how they once looked. There must be a dozen structures I've made for my layout which no longer exist and yet many here would call them 'modern image'.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Thanks so much for showing us those photographs Tony It is such a shame when reasonably sound buildings can't be 're-purposed'. It would have been so easy to convert the goods shed into something useful. There's plenty of precedent - Wooler good shed is a huge antiques store, Alnwick station is now one of the best book stores in the country and Hawes station forms part of the Dales counryside museum to name just a few. 

Graeme

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

34 minutes ago, jacko said:

Thanks so much for showing us those photographs Tony It is such a shame when reasonably sound buildings can't be 're-purposed'. It would have been so easy to convert the goods shed into something useful. There's plenty of precedent - Wooler good shed is a huge antiques store, Alnwick station is now one of the best book stores in the country and Hawes station forms part of the Dales counryside museum to name just a few. 

Graeme

It needs will and lots (LOTS) of money. There's the disused GN warehouses east of Nottingham Midland station in a terrible state from fires and vandalism despite being 'listed'. I suspect they'll eventually be demolished at the risk of falling down and causing injury to someone who shouldn't be there anyway.

https://images.app.goo.gl/546apVj72aYcnDmQ7

Many more images on Google.

The one I do struggle to understand a bit is the former Bass maltings building at Sleaford, in reasonably good structural condition and a massive self contained site, close to the town centre and railway station. It has suffered some fire damage but it's been pretty much unused since I was taking my son on days out to Skegness behind pairs of class 20s!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bass_Maltings,_Sleaford

• Agree 2

Continuing the theme of before and after..................

The next best thing for posterity's sake is to 'preserve' things, as Grahame has said, in model form. In a way, that's what's been done in Little Bytham's case, but, would that it were still all there in reality. 1795003915_A01.jpg.9d0c5651892896202bbb6b6191cda8b5.jpg

At a relatively early stage, Richard Wilson attends to some scenic modelling. 

The Willoughby (by the glue pot) is still just a mock-up, as is the signal box, booking hall, stationmaster's house and footbridge, though all the signals are installed. 

1129749055_A01A.jpg.4eab5b461e9463c946052f149f9e3584.jpg

We now have the Willoughby in place, and the stationmaster's house, but the booking hall and footbridge are both still mock-ups. 

A mock-up has been placed on the Down island platform. I cannot stress the value of mock-ups too much. They give a preview 'sense of place', and one can live with them for a while just to see how they fit in. If anything, I'd say they were even more important for those who don't model actual prototypes. 

The mock-up signal box is missing - used as a guide for making the 'real' one. 

13203780_A02.jpg.38cab2d62d92bdd8733322775a54af08.jpg

Taken from the MR/M&GNR embankment, much more has been done in the distance, though there's still much to be done in the middle foreground.

1564513056_A03.jpg.878d2a79de0849323bba690d106f3c32.jpg

And a shot from yesterday morning.

Views like this show the finished scope of Little Bytham. We were not prepared to compromise with regard to the main line depiction (other than the scenic section being just over a foot short, which nobody notices, until they're told!). Sharp, unrealistic curves at the ends were avoided at all costs.

Who said 16T minerals all looked the same? 

• Like 18

13 hours ago, Chamby said:

The lamp suggests neither...  ;)

Good morning Chamby,

lamps fall off. I lost a tail lamp at an exhibition once, it was really embarrassing! However, despite the lack of caption information, my research leaves me to believe that one train is the Kings cross Grantham, this train often appears on LB with express or ordinary passenger lamps and a verity of motive power. The second train is probably the Peterborough Grantham, described as an all stations stopper, I can't find a relevant headcode for that. I have seen it running as an ordinary passenger train with an unidentified B12 at the head of the train. I have added both to my LB sequence spotter list, anorak restored.

Edited by Headstock
refinement
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Headstock said:

Good morning Chamby,

lamps fall off. I lost a tail lamp at an exhibition once, it was really embarrassing! However, despite the lack of caption information, my research leaves me to believe that one train is the Kings cross Grantham, this train often appears on LB with express or ordinary passenger lamps and a verity of motive power. The second train is probably the Peterborough Grantham, described as an all stations stopper, I can't find a relevant headcode for that. I have seen it running as an ordinary passenger train with an unidentified B12 at the head of the train. I have added both to my LB sequence spotter list, anorak restored.

You're quite right Andrew,

The K2 is on a Grantham-Peterborough, all-stations 'Parly', one of three in the sequence. 

Some of the stoppers ran as Class A (the longer-distance ones), but the shorter-distance ones (those which all stopped at Ponton, Corby Glen, Little Bytham, Essendine and Tallington) only ran as Class B. Occasionally, one of these will have a Pacific or V2 on the front; either on a running-in turn or a pathing move. 

I once saw a caption in a (not very good) book of a gleaming A4 on a motley rake of three carriages heading through Saltersford Cutting, just south of Grantham, displaying the customary single lamp at '12 o'clock' on the wedge front' 'What a come-down for a thoroughbred' blurted out the caption (or similar inane words). The loco was just off the Plant, and being carefully run-in. Why not use it to earn revenue (though not much) in doing just that? 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Driving home for lunch one day in the early spring of 2008, looking across the valley from the Witham Road I was appalled to see this happening.......

2123861088_goodssheddemolition01.jpg.65f7e339879ea6306582bcb02ca29534.jpg

79549653_goodssheddemolition03.jpg.524b68ef0155a5589d7195b7a34533ee.jpg

The deed was done in less than a morning, with no forewarning at all. 

The goods shed had lasted over 150 years!

At least the goods shed still survives on my layout! Courtesy of the Prototype kit.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Where would your real house be if it was a model?

Would we see it or is it too far from the line?

Or is it actually on the model?

43 minutes ago, MJI said:

Where would your real house be if it was a model?

Would we see it or is it too far from the line?

Or is it actually on the model?

It wasn't built until the 1970s, so wouldn't be there, anyway.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Agree 1

21 minutes ago, Clem said:

Good morning Tony. Looking at your photos of Little Bytham now leaves me quite sad. I've seen the destruction of railway heritage so many times before but it still grieves me for each new episode of wanton destruction. It's almost as if today's railway needs to forever prove it is modern and has no soul. Anyway, at least your layout of Little Bytham documents the line in its last years of steam glory.

Whilst I'm writing this little post, may I ask what is probably a very dumb question. What glue do you use to fix your loco crew in place? I'm really rubbish at the basics!

Finally, the last couple of months been a period of 'Austerity' for me, but luckily it's drawing to an end and I can turn my efforts elsewhere:

IMG_4888_rdcd.jpg.23f19706724bcd42a90dcb2c59169015.jpg

IMG_4889_rdcd.jpg.c4184580acec80e2c986ea68f6a0931b.jpg

Colwick's long time resident 'top of the class' WD 90000. (DJH). Sister Bachmann 90499 is behind on a coal train fully weathered. 90000's turn for weathering next.

IMG_4892_rdcd.jpg.51af554d1703df05a37a1f8f5a222b0a.jpg

Bachmann WD converted to EM using Gibson wheels - this took me a couple of days work as compared to the DJH one taking a couple of months. You can imagine which I found most satisfying (although very challenging at times). This one is down to become 90215. Still some detailing required, including the re-attaching of the brakes which had to be removed for EM as they seriously fouled the re-gauged wheels. You can get away with the brakes where they are for many EM conversions.

Wonderful Austerities, Clem.

I use viscous superglue to glue the crew members in place. I just put a dribble on their feet, and insert them in place with tweezers. 

However, there are several things you'll find.....

The glue will set a micro-second after you pick up the model to check, and the chaps will then fall out, the glue setting on their way to the floor.

Yet, conversely, the bond will be instant between the figures and the tweezers! As will it be to your fingers! 

A sharp knock in future might mean they'll become detached, fall between the loco and tender causing shorts and/or derailments. To obviate this, I find it handy, once the feet have stuck, to dribble some superglue (very carefully) along an elbow or a buttock - where they touch a cabside or seat. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

It wasn't built until the 1970s, so wouldn't be there, anyway.

Regards,

Tony. 

Oh well pity.

All I really remember about those WDs is that they had a very distinctive sound - as if they were falling apart. As a young lad I found the arrival of one of these things a great disappointment, but now, looking back, I wish I had shown more interest at the time.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, great central said:

It needs will and lots (LOTS) of money. There's the disused GN warehouses east of Nottingham Midland station in a terrible state from fires and vandalism despite being 'listed'. I suspect they'll eventually be demolished at the risk of falling down and causing injury to someone who shouldn't be there anyway.

HMG are complicit in this of course.  Considerately refurbish the interesting or even listed building for a new purpose and you have to pay VAT on all the work, because it is classed as repairs.  Demolish it and replace it with identikit flats, houses or offices and because the development work is new build, it's exempt from VAT. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

54 minutes ago, Poggy1165 said:

All I really remember about those WDs is that they had a very distinctive sound - as if they were falling apart. As a young lad I found the arrival of one of these things a great disappointment, but now, looking back, I wish I had shown more interest at the time.

CLONK - CLONK - CLONK .........

Worn big end bearings?

John Isherwood.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

Worn big end bearings?

John Isherwood.

There was a story told by  guy who worked at Wakefield shed that they oncd set out to stop a WD clanking. All the bearings were renewed and machined to close tolerances. One problem emerged. It wouldn't pull. So the besrings were machined to the normal tolerances and it clanked but pulled well.

Jamie

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 1

1 minute ago, jamie92208 said:

There was a story told by  guy who worked at Wakefield shed that they oncd set out to stop a WD clanking. All the bearings were renewed and machined to close tolerances. One problem emerged. It wouldn't pull. So the besrings were machined to the normal tolerances and it clanked but pulled well.

Jamie

I suppose a chassis assembled under wartime conditions had rather a lot of 'play'; slop in the bearings would be needed to compensate for this.

John Isherwood.

28 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

... more like dang   dang    dang  .... (fades) ... roughly a musical 3rd or 4th between the dang and the . Jeez what a conversation... I hope I'm not going senile!

It's no good. I've tried 3 or 4 edits but the auto spell check just won't do the WD sound. (there should be a '' after every 'dang' but it just cuts it out. 

OK it must be a prohibited word - try 'bang bong    bang bong   bang bong'  but with a 'd' in front of 'ang' and 'ong' instead of a 'b'.

Edited by Clem
my sound effects were changed by auto-edit!
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 4

Just now, Clem said:

... more like dang- dang- dang- (fades) ... roughly a musical 3rd or 4th between the dang and the . Jeez what a conversation... I hope I'm not going senile!

Yeah - dang-dang-dang is much closer.

I remember lying in bed at my grandmother's house - Greenfield, near Oldham - and listening to what seemed to be an endless parade of Austerity-hauled trains running over the viaduct in the middle of the village.

What a lullaby!

John Isherwood.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium
On 03/06/2020 at 14:30, Tony Wright said:

Surely nobody can deny that there is much less variety today than in steam days? That is my point. Fewer variations means less interest, at least to me.

There's no doubting that there's less variety today than even 30 years ago, never mind 60. But surely less variety means you can model a location much more accurately? How many locos, coaches or wagons have you had to miss off the timetables because they don't exist RTR or as a kit as there simply isn't enough time in the day to scratch build them?

Current trains still offer the same modelling challenge. Compare a rake of 1950s box vans to a modern day freightliner service. Outwardly both look like a string of identical boxes on wheels but look closer and you'll see a variety of wagons of differing lengths, heights and designs. No less interesting I feel.

As for the demolition of historic buildings - yes it's sad when it happens but not everything can find a new use. Some times progress is good - ask anyone who grew up with an outside toilet! I'm sure the likes of Brunel and the Stephenson's weren't worried about knocking down a few old buildings to make way for their "modern image".

Steven B.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1