The forum software has been updated to a new version - further work on appearance and function will be carried out over the next day or so.

Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Tony Wright

Wright writes.....

1 hour ago, cctransuk said:

An interesting subject - what's the provenance, please?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Wagon?  Appleby Frodingham all steel peak-ended ironstone hopper photographed about 6 years ago (or more?) "somewhere round the back" (i.e Eastern side) of the more active parts of the main Scunthorpe steelworks site. I think it is in the hands of the App-Frod preservation society, but seemed at the time to be in the care of the steelworks weather. 

I know a man who can make some very nice transfers for the pre WW2 liveries on these wagons.....

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Clem said:

A little update. My ex-rocking and rolling J39/1 is now complete but no longer jiving like a Teddy boy. I put a new rear wheelset on it and it's been weathered. Seen below slowly pulling a short train out of the goods yard. The train has actually been placed there for entry into the workshop and returned after this short demo vid.  The containers need shackles adding. I also need to do brackets and a lamp on the brakevan, load in the open wagon.

Very nice!

kind regards

Iain

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Clem said:

A little update. My ex-rocking and rolling J39/1 is now complete but no longer jiving like a Teddy boy. I put a new rear wheelset on it and it's been weathered. Seen below slowly pulling a short train out of the goods yard. The train has actually been placed there for entry into the workshop and returned after this short demo vid.  The containers need shackles adding. I also need to do brackets and a lamp on the brakevan, load in the open wagon.

Lovely work as always Clem.  

Regards,

Frank

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, D.Platt said:

Morning All

Poor old Dr Beeching still being blamed  for closing railways , all he did was report and recommend,  it was the politicians who did the deed hiding behind his name ! Indeed the Labour Party who won an election on the back of promising to stop the cuts . Then went onto close more track mileage than the previous government,  right into the 1970s all in the name of Beeching.

On the modelling front I have completed all my track building which has involved making twenty odd points during lockdown, so back to my K3 . Results to follow shortly , I hope.

Dennis

Hi Dennis

Another forgotten fact the Western Region closed more ex GWR branch lines before the Beeching report than after it. 

As you say his report was recommendations, some lines that his report suggested should close remain open and some that were not in his report have long been shut. The report included many things that did save the railways money, like the closure of many labour intensified small goods yards. Unfortunately he does get blamed for the decrease in the number of slow moving pick up goods train so loved by us railway modellers with all that shunting. People forget that BR stopped being a common carrier before the good Doctor's report, so was lossing traffic already. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
55 minutes ago, jwealleans said:

The railway network in this country started to shrink in 1929.   Something else people tend to overlook.

In the West of England and South Wales, the shrinkage was completed in 1892. 

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 5
8 hours ago, t-b-g said:

You could always say that you used a ranging rod, which is a 2m long measuring instrument used by surveyors. That covers the correct terminology and explains it to those who don't know what one is.

But I'd have to have known it was called a ranging rod in the first place. However, I didn't. 

I do know now, though.

Regards,

Tony. 

3 hours ago, Clem said:

Beautiful!

• Thanks 1
11 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

RETFORD HAS BEEN SAVED!

The best news of all in these most-difficult times, Roy Jackson's magnificent creation has been saved intact and is to 'stay at home'. 

The intention is to complete it, if nothing else but in memory of the great man.

Ah, what fabulous news! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 7
4 hours ago, Clem said:

Lovely work, Clem.

34 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

RETFORD HAS BEEN SAVED!

The best news of all in these most-difficult times, Roy Jackson's magnificent creation has been saved intact and is to 'stay at home'. 

The intention is to complete it, if nothing else but in memory of the great man. 

I shall be definitely offering my assistance................

I'll post progress reports as and when............................

I'm sure there will be many who are delighted to hear the news.  I know several excellent modellers who have invested significant time and effort in helping Roy to build Retford and the thought of all their efforts potentially being destroyed was upsetting to say the least.  I look forward to hearing more about how Retford is to be progressed to completion.

Thank you for telling us Tony. 

• Agree 4
35 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

RETFORD HAS BEEN SAVED!

I shall be definitely offering my assistance................

848218281_Retford12101923O21onGN.jpg.7d0d26a5de3a752a7988e2143149eb0b.jpg

225069556_Retford12101924V2approachingcrossing.jpg.4d8e388b41d554aff79409ea6d415a72.jpg

1873957986_Retford12101927FLYINGSCOTSMAN.jpg.14323b4ebb046966742498e8545bb754.jpg

1017537708_Retford12101929D11.jpg.0f13904bda314e40a2a647d067503569.jpg

553050216_Retford12101931A4byfootbridge.jpg.e1da3086c52952344a890715f258b4f4.jpg

I'll post progress reports as and when............................

Fantastic news. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

Prior to the closure of Little Bytham's station in 1959, there was a Saturday DMU service between Peterborough and Lincoln which used the main line as far as Barkston Junction, calling at all stations.

Ever since I've tried to represent it, going north the destination blind shows 'Welwyn Garden City', and south, 'Kings Cross (York Way)'. That's what Bachmann supplied for its RTR Cravens DMU. 

Oddly (or is it?), no visitors have ever pointed out the incorrectness. But, I knew! 

Fortunately, Ian Wilson (Pacific Models), has now  produced some most-appropriate 4mm self-adhesive DMU destination blinds - in this case East Midlands (ER) ones. 

116370391_DMUdestinationblinds01.jpg.6b7c77d83257949ecbfdfc7ded4b68c0.jpg

9839874_DMUdestinationblinds02.jpg.c0a122f20b9bccc5c39d0d96e8b04f1e.jpg

1288120289_DMUdestinationblinds03.jpg.a00307592ade85022ebbebf9461cafa0.jpg

401107500_DMUdestinationblinds04.jpg.7cd5fa82c10a67e49323bf3e6f5b8936.jpg

The trick is to cover them with Sellotape before cutting them from the parent sheet (to give a surface sheen), taking out the white edges with a black felt-tip pen, then just sticking them in place over the originals. 

Yes, this means they're stuck on outside, but has anyone ever tried getting into a Bachmann DMU? When I tried (with the intention of fitting a driver and passengers) all I got were ominous cracking noises! 

Ian can be contacted on [email protected]

Other areas are available as well

I think they're excellent. 

This also shows what an excellent model the Bachmann Cravens unit is. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 11
4 hours ago, Chuffer Davies said:

Lovely work as always Clem.  

Regards,

Frank

Hi Frank. Thanks for the kind comment. I've bitten the bullet and banged an order in for a set of Ultrascale wheels for my next 0-6-0, whatever and whenever that may be. (Could be J5, J6 or a J39/3). A quick question: it's been a long time since I last used Ultrascale. Can you remind me, are the crankpin screws 14BA as Alan Gibsons wheels? If it's a J39,  I'll need to tap the crank for the lubricator drive on the RHS. 

Cheers

Clem.

Fortunately, Ian Wilson (Pacific Models), has now  produced some most-appropriate 4mm self-adhesive DMU destination blinds - in this case East Midlands (ER) ones. 

401107500_DMUdestinationblinds04.jpg.7cd5fa82c10a67e49323bf3e6f5b8936.jpg

What lovely weathering.

• Agree 5

Prior to the closure of Little Bytham's station in 1959, there was a Saturday DMU service between Peterborough and Lincoln which used the main line as far as Barkston Junction, calling at all stations.

Ever since I've tried to represent it, going north the destination blind shows 'Welwyn Garden City', and south, 'Kings Cross (York Way)'. That's what Bachmann supplied for its RTR Cravens DMU. 

Oddly (or is it?), no visitors have ever pointed out the incorrectness. But, I knew! 

There could well be precedents for these "wrong" destinations.  I have a photo from late 1985 of an unfamiliar DMU which had just reversed at Whitland in West Wales , which I'd noted had "Altrincham" on the destination blind at the front end on arrival.

Good evening Tony. I may be mistaken but I would have thought that this service would have been a class 114. (E500xx/E560xx twins). Not being a diesel person, does anyone make these. They were the only type you ever seemed to get on the ER around Nottingham, Derby and Grantham - at least before about 1962/3.

• Agree 1
13 minutes ago, Clem said:

Hi Frank. Thanks for the kind comment. I've bitten the bullet and banged an order in for a set of Ultrascale wheels for my next 0-6-0, whatever and whenever that may be. (Could be J5, J6 or a J39/3). A quick question: it's been a long time since I last used Ultrascale. Can you remind me, are the crankpin screws 14BA as Alan Gibsons wheels? If it's a J39,  I'll need to tap the crank for the lubricator drive on the RHS. 

Cheers

Clem.

Hi Clem,

Yes they are 14BA.  Not sure that the same applies to AG crank pins because they are not interchangeable in my experience.  I tried to use an AG crank pin screw in an Ultrascale flush crankpin nut a few weeks ago and it wouldn't go all the way through.   I think  AG screws  are metric  (1mm ?)  but I could be wrong, I often am.  I thought I'd say it before someone else does.

Please let me know when they arrive because I'd be devastated  if they take longer than the time I suggested to you. 

Frank 

2 minutes ago, Chuffer Davies said:

Hi Clem,

Yes they are 14BA.  Not sure that the same applies to AG crank pins because they are not interchangeable in my experience.  I tried to use an AG crank pin screw in an Ultrascale flush crankpin nut a few weeks ago and it wouldn't go all the way through.   I think  AG screws  are metric  (1mm ?)  but I could be wrong, I often am.  I thought I'd say it before someone else does.

Please let me know when they arrive because I'd be devastated  if they take longer than the time I suggested to you. 

Frank 

Ha ha!! Don't be devastated, Frank! I'm very patient and I have years of railway projects to do, so I won't be stuck! But I will let you know how long they take. If it's 3 months, that would be very acceptable. They don't appear to have the range these days that they used to have.

Yes you could be correct about AG cramkpins being metric, but they're a little less than 1mm. I've measured them at around 0.94 mm on average over the outside of the thread. When I tap return cranks with a 14BA tap, they usually go on quite easily. But maybe where you have a precise 14BA nut, it's a little tighter than a hand tapped  crank.