Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Headstock said:

Good afternoon Tony,

nothing is conclusive. There are plenty of colour photographs that show green splasher tops, not one of black has been put forwards. Invariably, those images that have  been claimed to be black are from black and white photographs, that makes no sense, or just dirt as in the photo below. That doesn't mean it didn't happen, checking the records of individual works may supply some results,  though I believe that all the ex GN Atlantics were shopped at Doncaster? Early LNER liveries, when standardization may have been less enforced, is a possible place to look.

65330.jpg

I agree, it is very hard to tell from a B & W photo, usually showing everything a dusty grey. Even on a colour photo, as you have shown, it isn't easy to tell.

Part of the difficulty is that it is one place on a loco where green and black colours are not (always) separated by a white line. It just changes on the corner of a splasher, so you get different reflections off the side and top anyway, creating an impression that they are different.

There are a tiny number of photos which you can say with certainty show a black splasher top. There must have been a particular type of film that really picked up the contrast between green and black that was used for a handful of photos.

As you point out, mostly in early LNER days when livery was in a transition phase anyway.

An easily found example is on page 4 of "Locomotives Illustrated" No 126, on the GNR 4-4-0 types. A full page photo of a nice clean No. 65 at Nottingham just after the grouping. Nobody will ever convince me that the splasher top on that is green!

4 hours ago, APOLLO said:

Over the Pond our American cousins made some wonderful steam locos, but most lacked grace, even their attempts at streamlining most looked really awful. Late in the day of steam (1945/6) the New York Central built the Niagara class for high speed passenger service between New York & Chicago - a success in every department and, for a Yank loco a handsome looking one also, They were a success, and just as good as diesels (cost/mile $ wise) - but the diesels came and ousted them in the 50's. None were preserved.

52f23712e20a3f5bd2e9dc2380fbbe85.jpg

Brit15

If I may interject at this point, the New York Central didn't build the Niagara class - they were built by Alco in 3 small classes, S1a, S1b and S2. 

There's a reason it has more than a passing resemblance to the more well-known Union Pacific FEF classes.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

6 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

I agree, it is very hard to tell from a B & W photo, usually showing everything a dusty grey. Even on a colour photo, as you have shown, it isn't easy to tell.

Part of the difficulty is that it is one place on a loco where green and black colours are not (always) separated by a white line. It just changes on the corner of a splasher, so you get different reflections off the side and top anyway, creating an impression that they are different.

There are a tiny number of photos which you can say with certainty show a black splasher top. There must have been a particular type of film that really picked up the contrast between green and black that was used for a handful of photos.

As you point out, mostly in early LNER days when livery was in a transition phase anyway.

An easily found example is on page 4 of "Locomotives Illustrated" No 126, on the GNR 4-4-0 types. A full page photo of a nice clean No. 65 at Nottingham just after the grouping. Nobody will ever convince me that the splasher top on that is green!

Tony,

I've been told it is illegal to model the LNER before 1935.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 9

1 hour ago, Headstock said:

There are plenty of colour photographs that show green splasher tops, not one of black has been put forwards. Invariably, those images that have  been claimed to be black are from black and white photographs, that makes no sense, or just dirt as in the photo below. That doesn't mean it didn't happen, checking the records of individual works may supply some results,  though I believe that all the ex GN Atlantics were shopped at Doncaster? Early LNER liveries, when standardization may have been less enforced, is a possible place to look.

I tend to believe in the principle of 'there are the rules ... and then there is what actually happened'.

Actually, I think you might be on to something in terms of the approach of individual works, a more well-known manifestation of which is Darlington green cylinder panels, is it not?

T-B-G's current conundrum re B3s of course centres on the practices at Gorton ...

Edited by LNER4479
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, Headstock said:

Tony,

I've been told it is illegal to model the LNER before 1935.

Guilty as charged. I don't "do" modern. Modern image for me started in 1923.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

I tend to believe in the principle of 'there are the rules ... and then there is what actually happened'.

Actually, I think you might be on to something in terms of the approach of individual works, a more well-known manifestation of which is Darlington green cylinder panels, is it not?

T-B-G's current conundrum re B3s of course centres on the practices at Gorton ...

I have decided that mine are going to be red, just to make a change from black or green. There is a period coloured image that shows them that way and that is as good as I am going to get. 

• Round of applause 1

29 minutes ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

Ludicrously entertaining... sorry if you only like 'British' steam, but other folk had some handsome kit too

I love the FEF.

18 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

I was thinking that a paperwork solution can often come to the rescue when photographs are not available. The traffic committee reports make for some fascinating reading. I've recently gone through a whole batch on wagon sheeting, there is a real tale to be told.

P.S. The driving wheels for the rambling black pig arrived today.

Edited by Headstock
add p.s.

12 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

I have decided that mine are going to be red, just to make a change from black or green. There is a period coloured image that shows them that way and that is as good as I am going to get. 

Good show.

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Headstock said:

I love the FEF.

I was thinking that a paperwork solution can often come to the rescue when photographs are not available. The traffic committee reports make for some fascinating reading. I've recently gone through a whole batch on wagon sheeting, there is a real tale to be told.

P.S. The driving wheels for the rambling black pig arrived today.

One time at Roy Jackson's place, Richard Hardy visited. He told the tale, which I may have recounted before, of a commotion at the real Retford during the war. He was in an office in the station building when somebody burst in, quite excitedly and said "Mr Hardy, I think you should come and look at this".

He went out and there was a B7 on a troop train. I wish I could remember exactly how many carriages it had but it was in the 30s. Fully loaded bogie stock too. The loco, after much effort, got it moving without assistance and he said the departure was a masterful bit of driving. Richard Hardy reckoned that the B7 may have been heavy on coal but put any loco over Woodhead on the heaviest trains and the coal consumption would be high. He said that if you gave any GCR loco crew a heavy train on a difficult route, every single one would ask for a B7 as the most reliable and powerful loco for the job.

It is lovely that some models will be appearing soon. Fine looking engines and sadly neglected by modellers until now.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

7 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

One time at Roy Jackson's place, Richard Hardy visited. He told the tale, which I may have recounted before, of a commotion at the real Retford during the war. He was in an office in the station building when somebody burst in, quite excitedly and said "Mr Hardy, I think you should come and look at this".

He went out and there was a B7 on a troop train. I wish I could remember exactly how many carriages it had but it was in the 30s. Fully loaded bogie stock too. The loco, after much effort, got it moving without assistance and he said the departure was a masterful bit of driving. Richard Hardy reckoned that the B7 may have been heavy on coal but put any loco over Woodhead on the heaviest trains and the coal consumption would be high. He said that if you gave any GCR loco crew a heavy train on a difficult route, every single one would ask for a B7 as the most reliable and powerful loco for the job.

It is lovely that some models will be appearing soon. Fine looking engines and sadly neglected by modellers until now.

A lovely story Tony, the B7 are a magnificent locomotive in my opinion, one of my all time favourites. If LSGC ever gets out again, the viewer will be treated to the sight of a B7 on the Manchester Marylebone mail, followed by a V2 on the York Bristol and a B16 on the York Woodford fast freight in quick succession.That is, unless they are to busy watching the activity in the loops and the yard

Edited by Headstock
add info.
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, t-b-g said:

With a GNR Atlantic, building a dead scale model is nigh on impossible unless you work in P4 and even then, the clearance between the driving wheels, shrunk down to 4mm scale, is almost nothing. So a slight increase in wheelbase or a slightly smaller wheel are almost unavoidable.

Both the Atlantic models featured above, in 2mm and 4mm scales look very nice indeed.

I do note that one has green splasher tops, the other black. One day, I will establish which one is right, or it could well be that both are. If both are, I would like to establish whether the difference is down to a date, a change in specification, a works, or whether the people in the paintshop that day thought they should be black or green because it didn't say which in the spec.

I am sure that many of my models contain dimensional errors that I know nothing about. Even the present model of Valour I am building has at least one that I do know about, which I am keeping quiet about because nobody other than me will ever tell. I spotted it too late to correct without major work and it stays!

I have never found an error such as a loco being 1mm or 2mm too long or short as being of any concern unless it is something that shows up badly if it is placed next to something else.

The things that bother me are the when something "doesn't look quite right" which is almost undefinable. It is usually a proportion, or a detail, or something that should line up with something else and doesn't, or something that you should be able to see and can't. A tender footplate and a loco footplate that should be at the same level and are not is one that often jumps out at me, or a footplate that is not level and slopes down at one end or the other. That is more common than many realise! Boiler handrails that are not parallel to the footplate when they should be is another.  

In the DJH Atlantic, for me that was the cylinders and the fact that the slidebars and piston tail rods should be tucked up under the footplate and are not. The other faults, like the overall height, might jump out if the loco is next to another one or pulling a train and it towers above the carriages but if they are faults that you have to measure to tell that they are wrong, I can usually live with that.

I once spent a long time making a GCR Q4 from a Millholme kit. I altered lots of parts and added much detail but if somebody now told me that it was 2mm too long or short, it wouldn't bother me in the slightest.   

I would agree with all of that but it is possible to build GN Atlantics with scale wheelbase and wheel size - just remember that tyres normally have up to about 2" machined off during their life. I just build them with slightly worn tyres, having machined a bit off the diameter of the correct size wheels.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

28 minutes ago, MikeTrice said:

Great post but what are your tried and tested methods please?

Good afternoon Mike,

I did have a photo explanation to go with the caption but when I came to post it, I couldn't find it. I must have deleted it, as I still can't find it, I shall see if it is still on the camera and reprocess it, if not I may have to shoot it again and repost. There is a description with diagrams up thread, I will see if I can locate that.

Edited by Headstock
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

If I may interject at this point, the New York Central didn't build the Niagara class - they were built by Alco in 3 small classes, S1a, S1b and S2. 

There's a reason it has more than a passing resemblance to the more well-known Union Pacific FEF classes.

Correct - I should have wrote "had built". Most (but certainly not all) American railroads had locomotives made for them by outside contractors, Alco (American Locomotive Co), Baldwin, Lima etc. 

Brit15

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Michael Edge said:

I would agree with all of that but it is possible to build GN Atlantics with scale wheelbase and wheel size - just remember that tyres normally have up to about 2" machined off during their life. I just build them with slightly worn tyres, having machined a bit off the diameter of the correct size wheels.

Yes that is right and also how I would do it. It is only a problem if you try to fit scale 6ft 8" drivers with overscale flanges.

Valour is just the same, with no room between the wheels for brake hangers if you put full sized scale wheels in with overscale flanges.

I should have mentioned it as it is what I usually do in EM or OO. I usually go for a wheel that is correct over flange diameter, rather than a full sized tread plus a big flange.

I used the terminology as many people don't understand that a quoted wheel diameter was for a new wheel and that on the real thing, the actual diameter could be smaller.

Most people would say that putting a 6' 6" wheel on a loco that has a quoted diameter of 6' 8" is putting an under scale size wheel on. Those "in the know" understand that it is just on the scrap tolerance.

• Like 2
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Michael Edge said:

I've not built many GN Atlantics since I've had digital photos but this is the last one.

694515241_04-31GNRC1299.JPG.9caa6c7da7768198765ef9ae78293213.JPG

806852527_04-31rb.JPG.a6cac995b19732b970ba8530b5287816.JPG

This is 7mm scale with Slater's 6'8" driving wheels on the correct wheelbase. It's not easy to see with the footplate step in place but the wheels were machined down just enough for them not to touch. I've often wondered why this step was placed where it was, almost looks like an attempt to disguise just how close the wheels were, it isn't the best place to clmb up on to the framing.

A real beauty!

• Agree 7

11 hours ago, Headstock said:

Good morning Tony,

If model railway exhibitions are of the agenda for a couple of years, there is always RM web. There is no doubt that the current situation will produce some negative and hidden effects on the Hobby. On a brighter note, perhaps an intermission may provide  the opportunity to produce better models for the future. I don't know if what I'm currently producing, will ever get the chance to run on the layout they are intended for, only time will tell. One thing is for sure, it will not stop me building. Anybody up for a B7?

What a shame about SNG, it needs rescuing from the green mould by locomotive rights campaigners. Surely the solution is to leave the loco as it is and repaint the stock!

Thanks Andrew,

'Surely the solution is to leave the loco as it is and repaint the stock!'

Into blue/grey - never! 

Apart from maroon, that's the only carriage colour scheme appropriate to SNG in the condition of the model. 

No; though I saw SNG as first-preserved, my abiding memory of her (him?) is of a vision of splendour, just ex-works from Donny Plant, ambling light-engine northwards through Retford, in sparkling Brunswick green - the best (no question) colour the A4s ever carried! It would be about 1958, so Ian Rathbone is going to repaint her 'just like that'.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

8 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

I mentioned Valour earlier and here is another illustration.

Really it is just so I can tell the world that as far as I know, the loco body is finished.

... and what a body it is, too! Phwoar ...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 5