Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

33 minutes ago, brightspark said:

I feel quite honored as two of my models have featured on Wright writes in just a few pages of each other.

The Standard 5 is mine and is (less obviously) EM...which is why it is sitting on a bit of EM track in the six foot of LB and of course couldn't be run.

For those interested this was my entry into the RM web Kitbuild challenge from way back in 2015. The link takes you to how I built this and my many diversions away from the printed instructions.

I also see that my S15 has also been mentioned. Some people have even read my ramblings and found them favorable.

I hope that you don't mind Tony, but here are a couple of quick snaps of the S15 that I took this evening. 838 now having a crew and (if I have pulled it off) a little bit of workmanlike dirt and sweat.

20200728_204015a.jpg.4763c75f5f86b0e28387607f94c2b761.jpg

20200728_203954a.jpg.f53d5d8c4cc373ebdc878d3995e46240.jpg

Andy Avis

Thanks Andy,

'The Standard 5 is mine and is (less obviously) EM...which is why it is sitting on a bit of EM track in the six foot of LB and of course couldn't be run.'

I'd completely forgotten about that. Please forgive my insulting your (quite splendid) loco by implying it was 'narrow gauge'!

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

I mentioned Valour earlier and here is another illustration.

Really it is just so I can tell the world that as far as I know, the loco body is finished.

RSCN2880.JPG.66cd71364a96fbd00f19d4e1211e0dee.JPG

Unless anybody wants to tell me something I have missed off!

The buffers were only pushed in and won't be fitted properly until after painting.

Just a few little jobs on the frames to go (brakes, sandboxes, cylinder drain cocks and balance weights, disguising the axle ends and guides for the piston valves) and I might actually finish the first loco I have built for myself in many a long year.

What a beautiful creation!

• Agree 6
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Thanks Andrew,

'Surely the solution is to leave the loco as it is and repaint the stock!'

Into blue/grey - never! 

Apart from maroon, that's the only carriage colour scheme appropriate to SNG in the condition of the model. 

No; though I saw SNG as first-preserved, my abiding memory of her (him?) is of a vision of splendour, just ex-works from Donny Plant, ambling light-engine northwards through Retford, in sparkling Brunswick green - the best (no question) colour the A4s ever carried! It would be about 1958, so Ian Rathbone is going to repaint her 'just like that'.

Regards,

Tony. 

Poor misguided chap!

Haven't you learned that the proper name for the paint is not "Brunswick green"? It will always, to me, be "GWR cowpat green", as described by Mr Crawley.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

26 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

Really it is just so I can tell the world that as far as I know, the loco body is finished.

The buffers were only pushed in and won't be fitted properly until after painting.

Just a few little jobs on the frames to go (brakes, sandboxes, cylinder drain cocks and balance weights, disguising the axle ends and guides for the piston valves) and I might actually finish the first loco I have built for myself in many a long year.

Really nice work Tony. Looks the business. I must start building mine. The news of the B7 coming soon from Graham is turning my thoughts back to how elegant the big GC 4-6-0s are.

Cheers...Morgan

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

Poor misguided chap!

Haven't you learned that the proper name for the paint is not "Brunswick green"? It will always, to me, be "GWR cowpat green", as described by Mr Crawley.

A pity there isn't a 'Philistine' button.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Agree 3
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

A pity there isn't a 'Philistine' button.

Regards,

Tony. 

I have always had the little daydream that somewhere in the world, a man and his wife, Mr & Mrs Stein, have a daughter and decide to name her Phyllis.

• Funny 16

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

I have always had the little daydream that somewhere in the world, a man and his wife, Mr & Mrs Stein, have a daughter and decide to name her Phyllis.

True Story: I went to school with a girl called Tamara Knight and a lad called Ray Pugh.  Some parents don't deserve children.

• Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Today was spent in the most-enjoyable of circumstances, visiting Retford. The first time since it's been 'saved'.

I have to say what a marvellous job the new owner has done. It's so spick and span, having been diligently cleaned and any minor repairs (the odd broken point blade fixed) carried out with absolute diligence. The running, despite a year of almost complete inactivity, was, as usual, impeccable. One B1 was a bit jerky, so, on invitation, I examined it and merely adjusted the pick-ups. Afterwards, silky-smooth performance. I'd like to think that the late, great man approved. 

I took along some spare LB stock, re-gauged to suit and was delighted when a Mk.1 BSO completed the Talisman. 

The new owner has already made some new locos for Retford................

192263438_Retford72001.jpg.1fe6a3188f8406b8a2f1ed531ca05a0f.jpg

Both these ran splendidly.

On occasions, I've read the word 'masterpiece' on RMweb, used to describe layouts. I wonder whether the users know exactly what it means............. 

276535403_Retford72008.jpg.9c52170af0c60a3f553987fee23cf540.jpg

Retford is a masterpiece, and it's going to be completed. I can think of no finer tribute to Roy than to have his masterpiece finished (lamps on locos will be my job!).

When that takes place, will anyone be able to show me a greater model railway? 

Jerry, if you're reading this, might the MRJ be interested in a 'progress report'?

How lovely to see that again. I often wondered if we would and I am so pleased the way things have worked out.

Once the Covid situation improves, hopefully the "Retford Mob" will reform and will swing into action once again. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 5

This has made my evening seeing these new photographs of Retford. It could almost be 1956 (wasn't that the year Roy set it?)

I remember having an enjoyable chat with him about B16s. I seem to recall he liked them in all their varieties. 

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Thanks Andrew,

'Surely the solution is to leave the loco as it is and repaint the stock!'

Into blue/grey - never! 

Apart from maroon, that's the only carriage colour scheme appropriate to SNG in the condition of the model. 

No; though I saw SNG as first-preserved, my abiding memory of her (him?) is of a vision of splendour, just ex-works from Donny Plant, ambling light-engine northwards through Retford, in sparkling Brunswick green - the best (no question) colour the A4s ever carried! It would be about 1958, so Ian Rathbone is going to repaint her 'just like that'.

Regards,

Tony. 

Good evening Tony,

there is some film of SNG descending stoke bank, when it set the post war speed record for steam. It is quite unimaginable how fast it is moving. At one point it's just a dot that seems to be stationary. Then suddenly, you almost gasp, as the locomotive is ahead of  your eye, as it races to catch up. Then it's on top of you and it's gone. You then become aware that you are leaning back in your seat and tightly gripping the arms of the chair. It is without doubt the fastest moving steam locomotive that I or anybody else is likely to see. Apparently, Bill Hoole thought it could have gone that bit faster if it wasn't so green.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4

Just now, Hawin Dooiey said:

This has made my evening seeing these new photographs of Retford. It could almost be 1956 (wasn't that the year Roy set it?)

I remember having an enjoyable chat with him about B16s. I seem to recall he liked them in all their varieties. 

Thanks Tom,

1957 is the year at Retford....................... Ah, I remember it well. Short trousers and a voice hoarse from shouting 'Streak'!

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Headstock said:

Good evening Tony,

there is some film of SNG descending stoke bank, when it set the post war speed record for steam. It is quite unimaginable how fast it is moving. At one point it's just a dot that seems to be stationary. Then suddenly, you almost gasp, as the locomotive is ahead of  your eye, as it races to catch up. Then it's on top of you and it's gone. You then become aware that you are leaning back in your seat and tightly gripping the arms of the chair. It is without doubt the fastest moving steam locomotive that I or anybody else is likely to see. Apparently, Bill Hoole thought it could have gone that bit faster if it wasn't so green.

Thanks Andrew,

And I'll be recreating the event in miniature. Just after SNG is in its proper colours! 

Regards,

Tony. 

1 minute ago, Tony Wright said:

Thanks Tom,

1957 is the year at Retford....................... Ah, I remember it well. Short trousers and a voice hoarse from shouting 'Streak'!

Regards,

Tony. 

Ah I was close!

Didn't you awful spotters use to get all excited when you thought it was an A3....only to realise as the locomotive came closer that it was a V2 with outside steam pipes....and then you would 'Boo' the poor thing!

Shameful Mr W!

• Funny 3

1 minute ago, Hawin Dooiey said:

Ah I was close!

Didn't you awful spotters use to get all excited when you thought it was an A3....only to realise as the locomotive came closer that it was a V2 with outside steam pipes....and then you would 'Boo' the poor thing!

Shameful Mr W!

Guilty as charged......................

• Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

Ludicrously entertaining... sorry if you only like 'British' steam, but other folk had some handsome kit too

The UP loco has a SD60 and E8(?) pushing it.

The ESPEE loco looks wonderful.

• Agree 1

Train spotng,

14 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Thanks Andrew,

And I'll be recreating the event in miniature. Just after SNG is in its proper colours! 

Regards,

Tony. 

I should wait for the moss to dry first.

11 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Guilty as charged......................

Game of thrones shame! 

Is it me, or are model railways getting cleaner and cleaner. 

Edited by Headstock
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, t-b-g said:

Tony,

a truly grand piece of work. Could I ask you to provide details of bogie and tender wheels please.

8 hours ago, Headstock said:

An opportunity presents itself to try out my newly acquired knowledge of RM web.

My steel train is  nearing completion, it is probably the equivalent of eleven or twelve bogies.

1750352417_Steelrod.jpg.cdc7fe43eff1184809108130bfbfe7ed.jpg

Last week, a  friend was telling me how he had been making loads for his bogie bolsters and was concerned how his models tended to bow in the middle and he was not sure what to do about it. I suggested that bowing was normal for a bolster but he was not convinced.

I arranged to meet him at a local level crossing, convenient for both of us to see the early morning steel train go through.

This is what we saw and now any bowing is acceptable.

Mike Wiltshire

1984222721_bogiebolsters.JPG.26de1b8b8f48318313433492f5956e55.JPG

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 4

1 hour ago, t-b-g said:

Wow, that's brilliant Tony. If I was starting out again I think I might just go late 20s, or early 30s just to include a B3  and a couple of B7s...  Lookswise, that takes some beating. Looking forward to seeing it painted, too.

1 minute ago, Coach bogie said:

Last week, a  friend was telling me how he had been making loads for his bogie bolsters and was concerned how his models tended to bow in the middle and he was not sure what to do about it. I suggested that bowing was normal for a bolster but he was not convinced.

I arranged to meet him at a local level crossing, convenient for both of us to see the early morning steel train go through.

Mike Wiltshire

That's the cunning thing about bogie bolsters, though they can carry prodigious weights, in the grand scheme of heavy metal shifters, they are relatively lightweight wagons. That has consequences, as can be seen in your photo. Unfortunately, I'm not good enough a modeler to build things bent and a whole train of proper heavy metal loads is far to expensive for me, I have B7 to support.

I hope your friends wagons don't bow upwards, at least not with the loads on.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Possibly a a combination of the loading process being (over time) less than gentle and the in transit dynamics of trackforces.

A former colleague remebers going to pick a set up from Motherwell Bridge, funnily enough at Motherwell.

Banana bolsters were presented and consist refused.

"Loaded as delivered" was given explanation.

On investigation it was established that the electromagnet on the crane failed with power trip and down came the billets onto the deck.

Switch it off, switch back on, does it work? "Right. Punt them down the exchange and keep schtum".....

Edited by Iain Mac
Correcting this positively problamatic phones predictive text.
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, Coach bogie said:

That will also teach him not to worry about getting his stanchions straight and parallel.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3