Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

39 minutes ago, robertcwp said:

It's not Thompson catering, it's an ex-streamlined twin restaurant second-open second pair. In the 1950s, their regular workings were one set in the West Riding and two in the King's Cross-Glasgow. I think this left the remaining one spare. By around 1960, they had been displaced from those workings. I agree this is probably a Saturday extra of some sort.

Afternoon Robert,

I meant to say Gresley, for some reason Thompson came out, probably because I'm currently painting one. I doesn't change anything, unless you want to model summer Saturdays, it's neither use nor............. but possibly ornament. It works even better, effectively a kitchen car and two opens plonked at the head of a bunch of seat fillers.

Edited by Headstock

7 minutes ago, Headstock said:

Afternoon Robert,

I meant to say Gresley, for some reason Thompson came out, probably because I'm currently painting one.

The leaves on the trees and condition of the loco say Summer 60 or 61.I suggest the earlier year, given the relative cleanliness of Tranquil ..she went back from Darlington, who cleaned their Pacifics, to Gateshead, who didnt, in June, ready for the Summer timetable.

• Informative/Useful 1

26 minutes ago, rowanj said:

The leaves on the trees and condition of the loco say Summer 60 or 61.I suggest the earlier year, given the relative cleanliness of Tranquil ..she went back from Darlington, who cleaned their Pacifics, to Gateshead, who didnt, in June, ready for the Summer timetable.

There are hundreds if not thousands of similar colour photographs, shot on summer Saturdays, the day in day out weekday trains are a little harder to come by. I'm fortunate in that I have a set of fifty photographs of weekday trains passing East Leak, taken by one individual over a couple of weeks. It is possible to identify each train against the working timetable and the CWN's. They are a goldmine of information  as most day time passenger trains are recorded, and of course the relevant locomotive workings as well. The pencilled notes on the back of the prints, recorded about seventy years ago, are bang on.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, richard i said:

Great video.

to my shame, I felt there as nothing going on for too long on the shot of the bridge. Then I went back and timed how long it was before the train appeared. 7 seconds. I coped better with the next scene, only 3 seconds before the train appeared. It says far more about my attention span than it does about the great modeling. I suppose it shows the high bar being set for exhibition layouts if they wNt to keep people like me entertained. 
Richard 

I think the difference between watching a video and watching the layout at an exhibition is that the video has a fixed viewpoint and when you are alongside the barrier at an exhibition you are free to look around the layout and spot the locos, wagons, signals, scenery, buildings, track work etc so six or seven seconds is not that long given the length of the layout. It isn't just about the trains as there are plenty of other things to see and admire.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, rowanj said:

Just to add to the confusion on this service, the position of the leading brake, with the compartments immediately behind the tender, suggests a West Riding service, but the loco is a Tyneside one. It would be very unusual if it were on a Leeds relief, though not, unknown, I imagine. There seem to be destination boards on the twin, but they are very short, and I cant see any others on the rest of the stock. What is the location of the photo-I assume it's a Down service, south of Doncaster?

It's an Up service, John, though it is south of Doncaster.

It's just south of Peascliffe Tunnel, near Grantham.

Regards,

Tony. 

P.S. Graham Nicholas has already told you this. 

Edited by Tony Wright
to add something
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, CUTLER2579 said:

If it's any help 60071 received the 107 Boiler in December 1959 and the double chimney at the same time. It then Received the German type Smoke Deflectors in November 1961. Therefore this photograph was taken between these two dates. At that time 60071 was a 52A or 51A resident.

Thanks Derek,

So, the summers of 1960 or 1961?

Regards,

Tony. 

1 hour ago, rowanj said:

Gotcha! 

'Summer'. 

Aren't you the John who picked me up (quite rightly) on being unable to spell spayed? 

If not, I apologise. If so, please remember summer is not a proper noun................ Even though many spell it (incorrectly) with a capital letter. Correct in, say, 'Summer Timetable' (which is a document), but not by itself. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

45 minutes ago, jollysmart said:

I think the difference between watching a video and watching the layout at an exhibition is that the video has a fixed viewpoint and when you are alongside the barrier at an exhibition you are free to look around the layout and spot the locos, wagons, signals, scenery, buildings, track work etc so six or seven seconds is not that long given the length of the layout. It isn't just about the trains as there are plenty of other things to see and admire.

I quite agree..........

However, from my experience of operating layouts at shows (the roundy-roundy, main line sort), even if (we thought) the general modelling was worth looking at, to some the non-appearance of trains brought forth the comment  - 'This is boring'. 

At one York Show, with Stoke Summit, one punter arrived just as respective Up and Down were simultaneously leaving the scenic section (normally, we tried to stagger this) and immediately opined 'Nothing happening on this, and there should be movement!), and promptly walked off. Less than 30 seconds later, another train appeared.

One can't win sometimes.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 2
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, johndon said:

A 5 minute video of a layout I'm involved with which Tony has posted a couple of photos of in this thread over time.

It is an EM gauge model of South Pelaw Junction on the Tyne Dock to Consett line and, whilst not on the ECML, it does join the ECML a stones throw away from the modelled location.  Like Little Bytham and Retford, it is the work of a number of skilled modellers, some of whom have, over the years, also been involved in the construction of Retford.  It is a little larger than LB but smaller than Retford.  Built for the exhibition circuit, we obviously don't know when we'll be able to take it out again (although we are booked for the EM Gauge society show in May 2021), at least videos like this allow us to get it 'out there'.

The video was taken on a hand held iPhone so there is some shake here and there so I think a small tripod may be warranted for future videos.  Hope you enjoy it:

A great video. I love the trackwork...it has the feel of a larger scale. And the iron ore hopers are great to see.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Gotcha! 

'Summer'. 

Aren't you the John who picked me up (quite rightly) on being unable to spell spayed? 

If not, I apologise. If so, please remember summer is not a proper noun................ Even though many spell it (incorrectly) with a capital letter. Correct in, say, 'Summer Timetable' (which is a document), but not by itself. 

Regards,

Tony. 

I plead "Guilty" and throw myself on the mercy of the Court. 

My only defence is that I was referring in shorthand to the summer of 1960 or 1961, and took my grammar from that master of lyrics, Bryan Adams with "Summer of '69"

Regards

John

• Like 1
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, dibateg said:

I recall a discussion on restaurant and kitchen cars a while back. Whilst browsing through some old Backtrack magazines and looking for something else I found this splendid vehicle. Wouldn't it make a lovely model.

IMG_4539.jpg.b3fc734b11de1d98f3bf2b5972ffa954.jpg

Thanks for the 'behind the scenes' photos Tony, it's impressive the amount you have squeezed in! Anymore and you'd be operating from the outside through the shed window!

Best Regards

Tony

I agree Tony!

66364D88-DFCC-460A-AFA8-4EBDEEA79257.jpeg.e2571fb49ce7a11a1ac1ccd744af1e5c.jpeg

This was created from cutting and shutting Kirk kits. it took a lot of cuts and is not the finest model, but I enjoyed the challenge of making it. It’s written up on my workbench thread starting here:

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

40 minutes ago, thegreenhowards said:

I agree Tony!

This was created from cutting and shutting Kirk kits. it took a lot of cuts and is not the finest model, but I enjoyed the challenge of making it. It’s written up on my workbench thread starting here:

Evening Andy,

I think that there is still a lot that can be done with the old Kirks, beyond just building them as they come. Yours and Clems cut and shuts, produce all sorts of wonderments. You need to add the stepboards and vac pipe though and an extra V hanger? How did you do the louvered ventilators?

Edited by Headstock

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Headstock said:

Evening Andy,

I think that there is still a lot that can be done with the old Kirks, beyond just building them as they come. Yours and Clems cut and shuts, produce all sorts of wonderments. You need to add the stepboards and vac pipe though and an extra V hanger?. How did you do the louvered ventilators?

Thanks Andrew and fair point about the V hanger, vac pipe and stepboards. I will have a go in due course.

It’s a while ago, but I seem to remember that the louvred vents were a plasticard sheet which I scored with a knife and then ran well thinned gloss black paint into the grooves.

Andy

14 minutes ago, thegreenhowards said:

Thanks Andrew and fair point about the V hanger, vac pipe and stepboards. I will have a go in due course.

It’s a while ago, but I seem to remember that the louvred vents were a plasticard sheet which I scored with a knife and then ran well thinned gloss black paint into the grooves.

Andy

The V hangers look quite deep compared to the standard Gresley arrangement. The LNER liked its standalone kitchen cars for special workings, it's perhaps not surprising that the ex streamlined twins had to stand in on those services, when the likes of the above went to the scrap pile.

Edited by Headstock

17 minutes ago, Lecorbusier said:

Way back when I promised to post a video clip of my Johnson 1F running using the Protocab system. Work and life I'm afraid got in the way of me finishing the installation untill this weekend gone .... anyway, better late than never. Here is some rather amateur footage of it up and running prior to dismantling ready for the paint shop.

Wonderful!

Regards,

Tony. 

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, rowanj said:

I plead "Guilty" and throw myself on the mercy of the Court. 

My only defence is that I was referring in shorthand to the summer of 1960 or 1961, and took my grammar from that master of lyrics, Bryan Adams with "Summer of '69"

Regards

John

My wife was pulled over at airport security while wearing a Bryan Adams t-shirt (we've seen him perform a couple of times) and then had whispered to her "he's just gone through!". Alas, by the time we'd cleared the scanners, there was no sign of him.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 7

3 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Gotcha! 

'Summer'. 

Regards,

Tony. 

I'm so in the habit of referring to Summer [year] Timetable and Winter [year] Timetable that I often forget that it's summer and winter when in the general sense. 

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

9 hours ago, Hawin Dooiey said:

'You see Bernard, they are all well and good, but you can't thrash them around Little Bytham at 200mph!'

DSC07663.jpeg

Lovely Tom,

Next time you're down, bring Bernard (a splendid bloke) along, and the two GWR locos - and we'll see how fast they can go!

You don't need to bring me, I'm already on Little Bytham; still trying to take pictures!

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
to add something
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, robertcwp said:

I'm so in the habit of referring to Summer [year] Timetable and Winter [year] Timetable that I often forget that it's summer and winter when in the general sense. 

Odd, isn't it?

That the four seasons are never granted the status of 'proper' nouns, yet the days and months they contain are.....................

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
to add something
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Odd, isn't it?

That the four seasons are never granted the status of 'proper nouns, yet the days and months they contain are.....................

Regards,

Tony. 

And a decade (eg: eighties), century (eg: twentieth) and millennium are not proper nouns, but era’s (eg: Edwardian) and epoch’s (eg: Cretaceous) are.  

A year is not, but Anno Domini is...  don’t you just love the English language!

• Like 5
  • Agree 2