Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

7 minutes ago, Daniel W said:

Yes. Numerous times. They made no mention of this particular topic. Merely to fit the bushes and then a few sentences later to fit the axleboxes.

In which case you have my sympathies.  If I've made a similar mistake its usually because I haven't read the instructions.  Even  worse it is when I've written the instructions in the first place. 

Cheers,

Frank   

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

30 minutes ago, Daniel W said:

I've only just started my first loco kit and already had a disastor. I've always seen people fit axle bushes with the flange on the outside of the chassis when building kits, yet after soldering the bearings in to my Judith Edge North British shunter i realised that the etched axelbox overlays were designed to fit over the opposite side of the bush. Bit of a rookie mistake, since if i'd looked closer that would have been fairly obvious. Unless the etched axleboxes are desinged to be soldered on to the flanges of the bushes, but surely that would cause them to stick out far too much?

Good evening Daniel,

I'm puzzled as to what 'etched axlebox overlays' are. Are they necessary to give you a working chassis? How visible are they behind the wheels? 

If the answers to both questions are 'no' and 'not much' respectively, then don't bother with them, and solve your problem. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Chuffer Davies said:

In which case you have my sympathies.  If I've made a similar mistake its usually because I haven't read the instructions.  Even  worse it is when I've written the instructions in the first place. 

Cheers,

Frank   

Instructions!

The bane of many a kit's construction, Frank. 

I've learned now never to bother with them (though a decent 'exploded' diagram is most-useful). In every set I've read, I've always branched off from the prescribed path because they didn't suit the way I worked ('American' pick-ups for instance, though I know you like the system). 

Many suggest the use of glue (even in some etched kits) which is just a sop to those who can't solder and will only ensure failure. Some are the ramblings of the semi-literate, or even the illiterate, and some come with squiggly drawings which appear to be the work of children - dim children at that! 

Though I've written instructions for kit-manufacturers, I very much doubt if many follow them.

In fact, the best use for instructions is to use the paper they're written on as spacers for assembling valve gear - torn away when a joint has been made! 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Good evening Daniel,

I'm puzzled as to what 'etched axlebox overlays' are. Are they necessary to give you a working chassis? How visible are they behind the wheels? 

If the answers to both questions are 'no' and 'not much' respectively, then don't bother with them, and solve your problem. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Thank you, Tony. The answer to those questions is indeed 'no' and 'not much', so I am considering simply carrying on regardless. To sate your curiousity i have included a quick photo of the frame and one of the etched overlays.

Just now, Daniel W said:

Thank you, Tony. The answer to those questions is indeed 'no' and 'not much', so I am considering simply carrying on regardless. To sate your curiousity i have included a quick photo of the frame and one of the etched overlays.

Carry on regardless, Daniel,

By the time everything's painted, who'll know? Who'll be able to see? 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

The perils of ignoring instructions and relying on experience and 'common sense' are many and varied, but are as nothing compared to the perils of relying on those qualities when there are no instructions at all.

Today I spent nearly 20 minutes trying to get into a brand-new plastic tinlet of Humbrol acrylic matt black paint.  Various sizes of screwdriver, thin blades, tweezers, fingernails ... nothing would lift that blasted lid, which grew more and more battered as I gradually increased the subtle force I was using until it became quite brutal.  Fifty years of modelling experience and I couldn't get a bloo%y paint-tin lid off - ridiculous!  And yet there clearly was a lid - it was quite plainly there, standing out from the top centre of the moulded plastic of the new-style container with its gently-serrated rim.

Just as I was about to launch the damned thing from the railway room window, light finally dawned.  Instead of trying to prise-off the lid, I twisted the top of the container - and it unscrewed cleanly in an instant; a shallow cap ending at exactly a  printed line on the container, so no chance of noticing there was a join.

No instructions on the can to say what to do, but even if there had been, who should need instructions to open a paint tinlet?  Especially when the design clearly suggests a removable lid as of yore, just a minor redesign.  Am I rubbish, or are the product designers for giving false 'cues'?

Either way, ladies and gentlemen - you have been warned!

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

It's probably best if any more 'English' discussions are kept to PMs (even though I'm responsible for starting it all up again).

That said, why has the 'blight' of incorrect apostrophes become so prominent in English? Why is it now so common that plurals are granted apostrophes? One sees references to 'Pacific's' when it's not singularly possessive, but plural. It makes me rather cross! Isn't there some (splendid) guy going around correcting all the incorrect apostrophes on signs? 

In my case, the most-recent expression of incorrect apostrophe usage occurred in my driving through rural Norfolk to visit our younger son in Norwich. A sign by the side of the road proclaimed (in dribbled paint) 'DEANS LOG'S'! 

Regards,

Tony. 

21 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

If he were, I suggest he be formally appointed as the Apostropher Royal

Sadly, no longer the case.

Apostrophe campaign ends due to 'ignorance and laziness'

On the bright side though: "... he would not rule out starting a campaign to save the comma from a similar fate."

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Good evening Daniel,

Regards,

Tony. 

These locos have their axleboxes fitted outside the frames rather than inside, they aren't very visible as you suggest but they are provided in the kit as overlays. I'll have to check what the instructions actually say buI I have been in contact with Daniel to offer some advice.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Which comma does he have in mind?

In his preface to Keep the Aspidistra Flying, George Orwell drew attention to the absence of the semi-colon from the novel; he declared it a redundant piece of punctuation. My experience of reading the novels of Henry James is that he was well ahead, having abolished the full stop a good half-century beforehand.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, johndon said:

I was going to press the 'amuse' button, John,

However, on second thoughts....................

Perhaps there should be a 'couldn't make it up' button as well!

Regards,

Tony. 

• Agree 8

1 hour ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Which comma does he have in mind?

Pronounced the same, but spelt Koma, is a people group in the north of Ghana, near the 'lovely' village of Yikpabongo (the Y is pronounced as a G). About 5,000 of them. I was there in about 1993. For those under two years old, I was the first white person they had seen! Only place where I have been sunburnt in the shade.

Lloyd

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2