Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

43 minutes ago, john new said:

Is there a definitive book with details of the various batches of Thompson coaches and in particular plans of where the roof vents were located versus the centre line?

I ask as some had no vents at all* and with the one's that do have vents, as with the picture above, they always look far more off-centre in pictures than on the available models.  The only book of drawings I have is the Ian Allen LMS/LNER set where they are shown on the c/line in the end elevation drawing. 

Logic says perhaps C/l over the vestibules and off-set over the compartments but if that is the case by how much. 

(*Saw one of those recently in a short video of a train leaving Nottingham Victoria.)

Good evening John,

Those gangwayed Thompsons with 'no vents at all' are the PV stock built post-War for the 'Flying Scotsman' (which then became 'The Capitals Limited', then 'The Elizabethan'). They actually had 'monsoon' ventilators (a kind of box shape) at both ends of the roof, on the centre line. 

The ventilators on the ordinary Thompson corridor stock were on the centre line of the compartments. Vents over the guard's section or end vestibule were on the centre line. Non-PV Thompson vestibuled open stock had the vents on the centre line. The original Bachmann Thompson corridor coaches got these all wrong, but the current ones are dead right. 

I hope the following shots show what I mean, at least in model form..................

1075073495_60027onUpElizabethan06.jpg.883cc151bc9724d97f1606bae5c4a189.jpg

Thompson PV stock in 'The Elizabethan'. The leading BG has ordinary vents on the centre line, with one directly over the guard's compartment. The next car, the FK with ladies' retiring room, has two monsoon ventilators over that section. The next car is the RF, with Vent-Axia-type ventilators, and then comes the rest of the PV cars (with one ordinary Thompson and the MK.1s at the end). 

594827443_60039elevated.jpg.2c8f43ce96af3309019a98c6b5ee0516.jpg

The leading car in this rake is a Gresley, with vents on the centre line, then come two kit-built Thompson TKs with offset vents over the compartments. 

1820593993_A160116HALOTHEWYNDonDownNorthumbrian.jpg.9ec1d3023e04a68affa2b5d3f07041ba.jpg

The leading car in this set is one of the new Bachmann Thompson BTKs. The vents over the compartments are offset. 

Books by the likes of Harris and Campling will provide you with much info on Thompson stock, and there are the Isinglass drawings.

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
to add something
  • Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

3 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Returning to the theme of captioning, how about this image...........................?

607669687_60090LittleBythamsummer1963-64.jpg.cb633c2b19abdbdf97465d6b0e577813.jpg

What could be said about this?

Firstly, apologies for the poor-quality scan, but here goes..........

It's clearly Little Bytham and it's A3 60091 CAPTAIN CUTTLE on an Up express. 

The date? The MR/M&GNR overbridge was demolished in March 1963, and 60091 was withdrawn in October 1964, so it's clearly a summer shot (note the Spinney trees are in full-leaf) in either of those two years; my guess would be the former. 

The loco? She's carrying a Thompson 94HP boiler (not 94A as suggested by the RCTS), with no dome cover! The tender is a new-type high-sided variety, and the front numberplate is on the top hingestrap (meaning the top lamp iron has been lowered, but not to the A3's final position - not on all - which split the cross rail). 

The train? Nine cars-long, with two Thompsons and a Gresley along with the six BR Mk.1s. No destination/name boards, and no catering cars, so not a principal working. The Thompson FK carries the yellow stripe at cornice level (so it could be '64). A summer Saturday relief/extra? 60091 was a one-time standby A3 at Darlington, so is it substituting for a failed diesel? I cannot find this formation in any of my CWNs. 

The surroundings? The station was demolished in the summer of '59, but the 'footprint' where the Down island platform was sited is still visible (the Up island, behind the train was the same). The very tall Up fast starter has gone. Access to the goods shed from the south has been (half) severed; I wonder why? The station cottages are still extant, as is the stable (these had gone by the end of the decade). The lovely goods shed (still in use from the north?) would survive until 2008, though no longer in railway use. What's in the wagons, I don't know, though limestone (for the iron and steel industry) was loaded on the Down side. The signal box barge-boards are painted cream. In earlier times these were painted green. The embankment carrying the east/west route is clear of the 'Amazonia' which covers it today (are there cows grazing on its top?). 

What isn't needed is chapter and verse on the loco's build date and it's withdrawal date (though the the latter is pertinent to dating the picture).

There are other things to comment on.....................

The leading Thompson BSK is one of the unusual 3-compartment ones. From memory, there were only ten of them. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Is that another bridge in the far distance Tony? There is also a slope sided mineral wagon in the yard with those opens and I can see the battered abutments of the M&GN line bridge. I don't think I've seen many A3s with missing dome covers though, a rarity?

I have to agree with the rather thin captions that tediously talk about the loco's withdrawal date etc, and ignore other interesting background detail. I end up grumbling to myself, 'but what about that so and so  in the background?'!! I've always been a fan of extended captions, and even though they often describe what is in front of your eyes, you might well have missed a small detail..

Regards

Tony

• Like 4

8 hours ago, t-b-g said:

I have no idea if they are still there now as it is ages since I travelled that way but when we lived in Wiltshire and used to visit family in Sunderland, we would come across to the A1 and start to see signs that read "To the North".

If you kept going long enough, you eventually passed a sign that simply read "The North".

So we knew we were there.  

I seem to remember that sign. It was where the road crossed the River Don (as in Doncaster.)

There are several other River Dons - one being near South Shields if I remember correctly.

As for 'south', from the perspective of Durham, south of the Tees is 'South',  (Sorry Yorkshire!) south of the Trent is 'Further South' , then perhaps it becomes 'sarf'. South of the Thames is 'furthest south'.

The honourable exception. My brother, living in North Devon, claims that the SW is not 'south'.                 

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 11/09/2020 at 23:07, Tom F said:

Thank you
I asked around via a therapist friend who put me onto a young woman who is kindly offering the sessions for £15. Couldn't afford to say no (and certainly couldn't afford the typical prices). It's good just being able to talk.

Thanks for the support and comments. 

Regarding Humber Dock, I've just set up a thread for it. Here's to the future and a new adventure!

Good Morning Tom,

I was wondering how you're feeling at the moment?

Have you been able to get much done on the new layout, or are you having a bit of a much needed breather? 

11 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Anyone know anything about this class?

408153899_MurphyModelsClass12101.jpg.cb7b1f687a30ad516c5f803f3d1ee467.jpg

It's Murphy Models' latest Irish Class 121.

I haven't a clue! 

The class 121 were ordered by CIE after their experiences with the Metro-Vicks.  The locomotive was basically just a standard GE switcher product, and were so reliable that they lasted over 40 years in service.  All subsequent locomotive classes on CIE have be GE products.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, jrg1 said:

The class 121 were ordered by CIE after their experiences with the Metro-Vicks.  The locomotive was basically just a standard GE switcher product, and were so reliable that they lasted over 40 years in service.  All subsequent locomotive classes on CIE have be GE products.

Should that not be GM.

Jamie

• Agree 2

Quote robertcwp said :-

The leading Thompson BSK is one of the unusual 3-compartment ones. From memory, there were only ten of them. 

Thompson  Corridor 3 Compartment Brake Second Coach  to Dia 331   were indeed  a class of Ten the numbers included E154 to E158 but without looking it up I can't remember what the first or last number was.

Now a Question for Robert or another knowledge able person.  Am I correct in numbering  a Thompson Corridor Composite  To Diagram D328 as No. E146E.?

Regards Derek.

23 hours ago, dibateg said:

Is that another bridge in the far distance Tony? There is also a slope sided mineral wagon in the yard with those opens and I can see the battered abutments of the M&GN line bridge. I don't think I've seen many A3s with missing dome covers though, a rarity?

I have to agree with the rather thin captions that tediously talk about the loco's withdrawal date etc, and ignore other interesting background detail. I end up grumbling to myself, 'but what about that so and so  in the background?'!! I've always been a fan of extended captions, and even though they often describe what is in front of your eyes, you might well have missed a small detail..

Regards

Tony

Good morning Tony,

It is another bridge - a classic GNR three-arch design, now replaced with a concrete raft because of electrification. It carried a dirt road to the local brickworks, which closed years ago (it even had its own siding). Now it just leads to the local kennels/cattery and a few houses.

119903879_09Class47Special17.8.jpg.780bb2935c1ff01a16687ee2830d5229.jpg

With the 'eye of faith', it's just visible in the distance in this similar view to the A3 one, but taken in 2006. Would anyone know now there's an abandoned railway line in this picture? 

There were a couple more three-arch overbridges in the vicinity of Little Bytham, one of which (because it's a bit higher) still survives despite electrification. It's one of very few now.

1358187297_Schoolbridge02.jpg.1649bf777ad375c87b10e132a9444aa1.jpg

Fortunately, this lovely structure still survives, carrying a green lane adjacent to the local school. Health & Safety has dictated that only giants can see over the parapet now. 

1302598129_Introduction01.jpg.9ff1556575dd2929e7ba9157a75a0386.jpg

The green lane allows photography 'under the wires', without the need for trespass. I took this picture in February 2016, during FLYING SCOTSMAN's first run along the ECML after its most-recent major overhaul (severely delayed because of imbeciles swarming over the tracks near Huntingdon!). The whole school had turned out to watch, and as I got ready with my camera, one of the teachers came up and told me I was not allowed to take pictures of the children!  I resisted the temptation to tell her that I wouldn't waste 'film' on images of her odious charges, but told her that I was in a public place, breaking no laws. Am I alone in thinking that the world just gets madder? 

458492977_Bridges01.jpg.058fa28d7fabcb7d28fc904a2eca005b.jpg

The image of the Class 47 was taken looking north from the site of this bridge, long since gone and replaced by a concrete span. 

1781560552_10Class47Special17.8.jpg.186fe70bd09097adc5ccc500ccac7d8c.jpg

A concrete raft like the one in the distance, again taken from the same bridge. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
typo error
  • Like 11

13 hours ago, micklner said:

Thompson PV Stock . Southern Pride etched sides on old Bachmann's

post-7186-0-25434500-1430856055_thumb.jpgpost-7186-0-71907100-1430856064_thumb.jpgpost-7186-0-51594700-1430856075_thumb.jpgpost-7186-0-98380700-1430856084_thumb.jpg

A nice job Mick,

Thanks for showing us. 

A couple of things; did you alter the roof profile? I can't quite tell, but they all seem to have the (very) incorrect sharp angle. And, did you fit heavy-duty bogies? If done, both things improve the look of these cars immensely.

Am I alone in thinking that they looked at their best in maroon? 

88199558_60027onUpElizabethan02.jpg.4dbeff67a0fa83f1892eed6cd615c8ec.jpg

Seen before, but pertinent to the question in my view. Removing the sharp angle makes a big difference, giving the 'bulbous' look to the cars' roofs. 

The BR wisdom of painting the lower strip covering the solebars black, takes away the 'slab-sided' appearance of these cars when in ersatz teak.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

At least it proves that I read the words right to the end and don't just look at the pretty pictures!

To me and to my family (dad and brother used to make up the trainspotting trio) they were "Brush 4s" and "Ingy 3s" (slang/abbreviation for English Electric).

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Tom F said:

Ultimately I've discovered I suffer from codependency, and it's ruled my life since my teens. I've been using model railways as a crutch to stop me focusing on life. Railway modelling had become the sticking plaster over all the issues in my life.

That's not a term that I had come across before. But I certainly recognise the symptom. When life gets too tough I retire to a model railway world with a lot of planning of potential layouts.

But is that such a bad thing? The alternative is abandoning that "crutch", and then what is left? In my case, not a lot with no work to go to either.

Hopefully, it will be better for you if you have home d.i.y. projects to do.

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

12 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

That's not a term that I had come across before. But I certainly recognise the symptom. When life gets too tough I retire to a model railway world with a lot of planning of potential layouts.

But is that such a bad thing? The alternative is abandoning that "crutch", and then what is left? In my case, not a lot with no work to go to either.

Hopefully, it will be better for you if you have home d.i.y. projects to do.

The problem is Joseph, that hobby is now become my job and was no longer satisfying me as a hobby. The desire to retire to the model railway world for the moment, has gone.

There are plenty of other things to do, and I'm getting back into fell walking (I live in the heart of the Yorkshire Dales, it would be stupid not to).

Model Railways had become an obsession in not the healthiest way where I was blocking out the rest of the world around me.

Codependency relates more to relationships and the fear of being single, and self loathing. Fascinating subject but explains my issues.

• Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Tom F said:

The problem is Joseph, that hobby is now become my job and was no longer satisfying me as a hobby. The desire to retire to the model railway world for the moment, has gone.

There are plenty of other things to do, and I'm getting back into fell walking (I live in the heart of the Yorkshire Dales, it would be stupid not to).

Model Railways had become an obsession in not the healthiest way where I was blocking out the rest of the world around me.

Codependency relates more to relationships and the fear of being single, and self loathing. Fascinating subject but explains my issues.

The hobby became my job for a while back in the 1990s and early 2000s . So I understand where you are at with this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 23/09/2020 at 19:29, Bucoops said:

A while back I was pondering how to do GNR style buffers for my 52'6" full brake - I ordered some Markits SECR ones from Roxey and as usual from Dave they arrived very promptly.

The buffer head is pretty close and even the base is quite close to the gangwayed coach version - 

855692311_SECRBuffers.jpg.557e9058efa125a6fc789470cb04d662.jpg

Foolishly I didn't get better photos of the GNR coach at Mangapps but you can just make out the shape of the base -20200805_133349.jpg.5ae1af6be5e6ce2dcab28cb8c4d2d8f2.jpg

I then thought about the collar that's used when the buffers are extended. I found some Slaters 7mm crankpin bushes as a starting point, turned down the flange diameter and opened up the bore to suit.

76848490_BUfferbush.jpg.f27fd0faa0333eac3c1d4a030d6aa684.jpg

I then used a piercing saw to split it in half. Then tried an awful lot of times to solder it to the back of the buffer head - the idea being it had enough clearance to slide over the body of the housing. Nope, nope and more nope. Both halves have also now pinged into who knows where.

I think this is going to get filed under life's too short and skip the collars.

Hi Bucoops

I visited Mangapps on Saturday which was their last open day of the season. It was extremely windy but there was a lot to see and most of the stock is now under cover.

I took a few photos of the coach buffers you referred to. I'm not sure if they are too late for your project but here they are anyway

A detail that I hadn't noticed before was the wooden blocks for stowing the collars when not in use.  Each wooden block has a hook at the top and the collar has a hole to pass over the hook. I'm not sure if the later Gresley coaches had the same feature.

IMG_20200926_155304_4.jpg

IMG_20200926_155147_3.jpg

Edited by Keith Turbutt
Correcting grammar
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 6

Going back to North and South, we found it amusing when we moved from Trowbridge (Wiltshire) to Portree (Isle of Skye). Joining the M5 North of Bath, we would find signs for 'The North and Gloucester', which gradually changed through Birmingham, Preston, Carlisle, etc., until we came to Auchtertyre (a few miles short of Kyle of Lochalsh) where the sign read 'Achnasheen and the North'.

There is also a sign at Skiag Bridge, where the A837 from Lairg to Lochinver (on the West coast) meets the A894 to Durness (near Cape Wrath), which just reads for the different directions, 'North', East', and 'West', though I vaguely remember the 's' in 'West' rather appropriately had worn away.

Lloyd

• Funny 2