Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

Well, it's got the southern route discs on so is it the occasion when V2s (amongst others) were used to cover for temporarily withdrawn Bulleid pacifics?

Edit - just found reference that 60917 was indeed one of them.

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

57 minutes ago, bbishop said:

Ladies and gentlemen,

The South Western Circle has been bequeathed a photographic collection.  Obviously mainly of Southern prototypes, but there were exceptions.  Any thoughts on this one?  Bill

26005.jpg

The code is for the Exeter road (though one up and one down could be others, including Plymouth-Brighton; which is unlikely). 

So, somewhere west of Worting Junction?

Interestingly, the V2's numberplate and crossrail are transposed. 

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

Well, it's got the southern route discs on so is it the occasion when V2s (amongst others) were used to cover for temporarily withdrawn Bulleid pacifics?

Edit - just found reference that 60917 was indeed one of them.

It also has extra lamp irons on the smokebox door each side of the dart.

• Informative/Useful 2

2 hours ago, micklner said:

You will also need the Cartazzi truck as above , for a 8 wheel tender version .

I believe  DJH ,also did the Gresley Boiler version , I have never seen one of those kits, if they were made.

'You will also need the Cartazzi truck as above , for a 8 wheel tender version'

Not so, Mick.

Fig. 200 of the RCTS Part 2A. This is the one I'll be building. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Round of applause 1

7 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Out of possible interest...............477075145_03A2RavenDJH.jpg.b80170e9fad0195d6177226cecf769dc.jpg

How much for something like this now? It's complete with wheels and motor/gearbox. 

And, I didn't pay near what was asked on the box!

Probably not worth the silly money that they go for. How many were originally produced? I know of a few of them that were built. Made one myself a few years ago too. Not for me I might add. Very long locos too.

gallery_118_268_49147.jpg

cheers...Morgan

Edited by 45609
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

The code is for the Exeter road (though one up and one down could be others, including Plymouth-Brighton; which is unlikely). 

So, somewhere west of Worting Junction?

Interestingly, the V2's numberplate and crossrail are transposed. 

Evening Tony,

it's also missing the front steps.

11 hours ago, bbishop said:

Ladies and gentlemen,

The South Western Circle has been bequeathed a photographic collection.  Obviously mainly of Southern prototypes, but there were exceptions.  Any thoughts on this one?  Bill

26005.jpg

Hello, 

My 'educated' guesses looking at the lie of the land and the overbridge in the background, either around Idsworth (Between Petersfield and Rowlands Castle, south of Buriton tunnel) on the down line on it's way to Portsmouth or possibly on the down line via Dunbridge and Dean on it's way towards Salisbury and then perhaps through to the West country? 

I'm only guessing though, "Good game! Good game! “

Regards, 

Jim. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Jeepy said:

Hello, 

My 'educated' guesses looking at the lie of the land and the overbridge in the background, either around Idsworth (Between Petersfield and Rowlands Castle, south of Buriton tunnel) on the down line on it's way to Portsmouth or possibly on the down line via Dunbridge and Dean on it's way towards Salisbury and then perhaps through to the West country? 

Regards, 

Jim. 

Hello again! 

Possibly after passing through Rowlands Castle, Havant and Bedhampton turning right at Farlington Junction then going via Portchester, Fareham and Netley to Southampton thence Redbridge, Dunbridge and Dean onto Salisbury? 

Regards, 

Jim. 

9 hours ago, 45609 said:

Probably not worth the silly money that they go for. How many were originally produced? I know of a few of them that were built. Made one myself a few years ago too. Not for me I might add. Very long locos too.

gallery_118_268_49147.jpg

cheers...Morgan

Good morning Morgan,

The box 'proclaims' that only 175 kits were made as a limited edition. It's unlikely that more were offered, but I've no idea.

This 'limited edition' tag can be 'abused' (not by DJH I'm sure) but by slightly altering a model's specification, and then offering it again. In the die-cast field, I've photographed too many items from 'limited editions' not to remain sceptical. In the same way I'm always suspicious of 'collectors' editions'. 

You've made a lovely job of that A2. I'll bet the person you built it for is delighted.

They were, indeed, very long; with an eight-wheeled tender, the longest British Pacific? Longer than a Princess Royal? 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Jesse Sim said:

I still have my A2 that I purchased through you Tony. I think they’re a beautiful loco, mine has seen regular service on a parcels train. 

I just need to add some black weathering on the boiler to top off Geoff Haynes weathering back in November. 

This photo was taken before my last trip so she’s much to clean here and the tender still rides a bit high but you corrected that for me before setting out to Geoff’s. 

I find it amazing how many hands a locos been touched by, upon showing Geoff and detaching the body from the chassis we found that he had added the weight into the loco for the previous owner. 

85087A68-43BB-490B-8F78-701B44EE3B22.jpeg

Good morning Jesse,

Yes, that A2 came from the estate of the late John Brown, of Spalding MRC. 

It was probably the best loco he owned (builder/painter unknown), and I'm delighted it's seeing service on Brighton Junction.

It also saw service on Little Bytham before you bought it...................

257378850_03AA2RavenDJH.jpg.6d6857357f0260915f7885c9321d11bc.jpg

A very nice-looking thing.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

Those A2 kits go for ridiculous money, I think because of the 'Limited edition' factor.  They come up on Ebay a few times a year and always seem to go way over what anyone sensible would pay.   There were 3 kits - the one for 2400-01 which Jesse has, the one for 2402-4 of which an example runs on Grantham and the rebuilt City of Ripon which is a very rare kit - I can only recall seeing one or two for sale in all the time I've been taking an interest.  I do know someone who's looking for one if anyone has one propping a door open.......

Ladies and gentlemen,

re: 60917.  Alan Cooper kept a notebook, so recorded the camera, the settings and the weather; it was dull.  60917 was on a down express near Sidmouth Junction on 6/6/53.  The only other photo on that day was taken nearby of the 3:25pm ex Exeter Central (attached), so gives some indication of timing and 60917 could have been one of the circa 11 o'clock West Country expresses.

Did they remove the V2 steps to stay within the LSWR gauge?

I am curating Alan's photographs on behalf of the South Western Circle.  So ownership and copyright is held by the SWC.  I will present my proposals to a virtual committee meeting.  Our policy has been to obtain royalties on commercial use of our collection but to provide copies for research.  Do you mob have any comments?

Bill

26006.jpg

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Jeepy said:

The V2 can't be on the Portsmouth Direct Line, which had a DC third rail by then.  As it stands higher than the running rails, it would be visible even if it's in the six foot and not the cess side.

1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

Even more-interesting Andrew,

I wonder whether this was for clearance on the SR?

Regards,

Tony. 

Good morning Tony,

a quick google also reveals 60893, also with missing front steps and a rather ad hoc arrangement for securing the cylinder drain pipes. Some sort of clearance problem would seem possible. The lamp brackets also seem to be well utilized, with a interesting mix of adornments.

https://railway-photography.smugmug.com/LNERSteam/Gresley-Locomotives/Gresley-V2/6089260917-Built-1940-Darlingt/6089260900/i-pnjhbxv/A

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bbishop said:

Ladies and gentlemen,

re: 60917.  Alan Cooper kept a notebook, so recorded the camera, the settings and the weather; it was dull.  60917 was on a down express near Sidmouth Junction on 6/6/53.  The only other photo on that day was taken nearby of the 3:25pm ex Exeter Central (attached), so gives some indication of timing and 60917 could have been one of the circa 11 o'clock West Country expresses.

Did they remove the V2 steps to stay within the LSWR gauge?

I am curating Alan's photographs on behalf of the South Western Circle.  So ownership and copyright is held by the SWC.  I will present my proposals to a virtual committee meeting.  Our policy has been to obtain royalties on commercial use of our collection but to provide copies for research.  Do you mob have any comments?

Bill

26006.jpg

Thanks Bill,

The position of the discs (at 12 and six) suggested the Exeter road.

Different from the other railways in that the Southern 'described' its trains by the route taken rather than their status.

Regards,

Tony. 

1 hour ago, jwealleans said:

Those A2 kits go for ridiculous money, I think because of the 'Limited edition' factor.  They come up on Ebay a few times a year and always seem to go way over what anyone sensible would pay.   There were 3 kits - the one for 2400-01 which Jesse has, the one for 2402-4 of which an example runs on Grantham and the rebuilt City of Ripon which is a very rare kit - I can only recall seeing one or two for sale in all the time I've been taking an interest.  I do know someone who's looking for one if anyone has one propping a door open.......

Good morning Jonathan,

What is 'ridiculous money' for a DJH Raven A2 kit? I paid £110.00 last year for the one shown, which considering it has a full set of wheels (though not the correct 12-spoke bogie ones) and a motor/gear-mount seemed exceptional value. That said, I won't use the open-framed D13 and Romford gears/etched-mount when I build it, saving those as spares. I'll fit a DJH motor/gearbox.

I wonder whether the limited edition of 175 pieces was for all three kits combined (mine is no.156, and suits the first two) or 175 of each type? I can't believe that 175 would be made of the one with the Gresley boiler/cab (which I've never seen). 

I suppose it would be possible to buy an A3 boiler and cab from SE Finecast, remove the superheater header covers and extend the smokebox, and make a larger saddle to make CITY OF RIPON from the DJH kit I have. I'd have to make the Cartazzi frames, of course, but I already have an appropriate eight-wheeled tender.

Or, since I have no need of a Raven A2, offer the kit for sale on ebay (not that I know how to!). Complete with the correct 12-spoke bogie wheels!

Regards,

Tony. 

1 hour ago, Northmoor said:

The V2 can't be on the Portsmouth Direct Line, which had a DC third rail by then.  As it stands higher than the running rails, it would be visible even if it's in the six foot and not the cess side.

Good point! 

It just looks so familiar! 

Regards

Jim. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

What is 'ridiculous money' for a DJH Raven A2 kit?

The last two I saw on Ebay (built, but not terribly well) went for £447 and £437.   The kits fetch well north of £200.  Given the limitations of the kit (ask Morgan), that's way over what I'd call sensible.   I paid £140 for mine, but in the bizarre times we line in I could have made most of that back by selling the Portescap with which it was equipped.

Despite the rare and "precious" nature of the Raven A2 kits, the majority of examples I've seen for sale in built-up condition seem, like a great number other kit-built locos on the market, to have been built by those whose ambitions far exceed their abilities.......

• Funny 1

3 minutes ago, gr.king said:

Despite the rare and "precious" nature of the Raven A2 kits, the majority of examples I've seen for sale in built-up condition seem, like a great number other kit-built locos on the market, to have been built by those whose ambitions far exceed their abilities.......

Dozens on ebay and the selling prices are plain daft on 99% of them .

A scratch built plastic Loco ,claiming  to be a model of NER Loco Aerolite went for £184 this morning . No wonder there is a  thread on here titled "Ebay madness".

• Funny 1

3 hours ago, jwealleans said:

The last two I saw on Ebay (built, but not terribly well) went for £447 and £437.   The kits fetch well north of £200.  Given the limitations of the kit (ask Morgan), that's way over what I'd call sensible.   I paid £140 for mine, but in the bizarre times we line in I could have made most of that back by selling the Portescap with which it was equipped.

Thanks Jonathan,

How curious that made-up examples of a DJH Raven A2 (and not that well-made) go for more than an untouched kit? Personally, I try to avoid ready-built kits (I wish I could always take my own advice!) because there's always far more to do on them to reach the 'standard' I insist upon than anticipated. Often it's impossible. 

As Graeme has pointed out, there are loads of built-up kits out there where the 'ability' of the builder is way below his/her aspiration! 

Regards,

Tony.