Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

There was a discussion about curves and Gateshead a few posts ago.

Thanks to the marvelous NLS  facility (please observe all copyrights etc.) one can see the full extent of these after the King Edward Bridge was built

I have often thought what a splendid 'big' model this would make, with a natural operating well in the middle!

Actually, it might provide more operational interest before then, with all the ECML trains 'reversing' in the station.

There are accounts from the 'Races to the North' in 1895 of the very competetive Gateshead crews coming up the Team Valley and then taking the curves around the SE corner of the shed very fast indeed so as to impress their colleagues who would turn out to watch.

I don't think we'll see No.1621 do that again!

image.png.d7201ea593e46e6fc406d0b890b66f44.png

Edited by drmditch
  • Like 5
  • Agree 1

20 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

'The psychology of e-Bay is quite complex'

Too complex for me, and I'm happy for that to remain the case.................

Regards,

Tony. 

ebay is dead easy. Just fix in your mind the max you will pay and don't exceed it. Everything I buy for my O gauge North American layout these days is via ebay, mostly auctions but sometimes "Buy it now" if the price is right. If someone's desperate (and loaded) I let it go - like a bus another will (usually) be along shortly. I don't bother with last few seconds bidding either.

Earlier today I won four weaver freight cars, two of which are professional repaints by a well respected US Model Shop - £46 for the four plus postage - a bargain. One O gauge Dapol 4 wheel wagon is more expensive these days than these four bogie freight cars.

I don't buy off US ebay anymore due to the extortionate postage/import duties ebay charge these days.

This was a nice buy for just under £200 a few months ago. It's a Weaver 2-8-0, the only one I've ever seen (in the UK) on ebay. Weighs a ton, runs quietly & smoothly (after a service) and will pull anything. (and she doesn't get stuck in the tunnels !!)

image.png.708a6d54a71dd26f10e61132547f3aff.png

Brit15

• Like 6
  • Agree 3

The key to eBay is knowing the market you're buying in.

People make the mistake that everything there is a 'bargain'. It isn't. Plenty of sellers out there wanting your cash. 

As always shop around and do your research. I have to say I personally wouldn't buy an unmade kit without being able to see it first.

A few years back I was able to purchase a few DJH kits (unmade) for very reasonable prices. Sadly it seems these are no longer available/for sale.

• Agree 1

Basically E-Bay is finished for me.  I stopped bidding several years ago after being 'out-bid' right at the last minute and recently i have stopped looking because, as mentioned by others, the postage and 'associated costs' have become horrendous.  I have had to make one or two exceptions because they are the only suppliers of certain parts but it sticks in my craw every time I get to the bottom line when the cost of postage + customs + whatever is sometimes the same and on a couple of occasions more than the item.  For my occasional forays into buying,  I have a list of dealers who handle 2nd hand items as well as new stuff and levy reasonable charges.  The E-Bay situation is a bit of a shame because it was really useful to the small Guy who wanted to get rid of stuff but that is the world of big business and monopolies.

4 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

Tony,

I have no doubt that professional painting is a rare skill but I’m increasingly finding that it’s the part of the model build which I enjoy the most. I’ve recently plucked up the courage to try teak and with some guidance from some of the usual suspects on here I’m getting to a stage where I’m pleased with the end result. Here is my latest effort - an Isinglass Milk Brake (apologies to those who’ve already seen it on Coulsdon works).

BC29AE88-51BD-4EE4-8242-AA7954C95AAA.jpeg.3b6712f941efed125d0104c28ab0b257.jpegAC27EED5-693C-450F-9799-B66FD84373C9.jpeg.727fe72e485fdf53b2c43cd615baefcc.jpeg

I can feel a few more teak coaches coming on!

Andy

A nice job, Andy,

It's not that I don't enjoy painting. However, other than plain black (and the occasional lined BR black) I cannot reach the standard I insist upon. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, grob1234 said:

People make the mistake that everything there is a 'bargain'. It isn't. Plenty of sellers out there wanting your cash. 

As always shop around and do your research.

A very true set of statements.  I have bought (too much) and sold (not enough) on eBay for over 15 years.  Buying job lots, where I want a minimum of 25% of the lot, selling on what I don't (using detailed descriptions) has been a cheap and effective way of building my "fleet"; I have some sets of wagons which have effectively cost me nothing.

EBay isn't the same source of bargains it once was but I'm not going to complain about it; it's the buyers who have learned to exploit it more than poor practice by sellers.  One big positive change was the addition of fees to postage, which drove out the chancers who (for example) sold a £100 loco for £20 and charged £80 postage.  I do think one of the biggest changes occurred after starting price-based charges were removed; there is no benefit to starting auctions at low prices (to attract interest) any more, so sellers now start listings at about the price they want to achieve.  There are far more listings now which run their course with no bids, than ten years ago.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, drmditch said:

There was a discussion about curves and Gateshead a few posts ago.

Thanks to the marvelous NLS  facility (please observe all copyrights etc.) one can see the full extent of these after the King Edward Bridge was built

I have often thought what a splendid 'big' model this would make, with a natural operating well in the middle!

Actually, it might provide more operational interest before then, with all the ECML trains 'reversing' in the station.

There are accounts from the 'Races to the North' in 1895 of the very competetive Gateshead crews coming up the Team Valley and then taking the curves around the SE corner of the shed very fast indeed so as to impress their colleagues who would turn out to watch.

I don't think we'll see No.1621 do that again!

image.png.d7201ea593e46e6fc406d0b890b66f44.png

The perfect roundy roundy layout, big station one side and a loco depot the other.

Not too keen on wearing waders when standing in the operating well. :punish:

• Agree 3
  • Funny 7

Just a point on postage, if I may.

539004799_Klondike325401.jpg.1c26576e5929fd05194f65202e1e4a46.jpg

1477720310_Klondike3254cover02.jpg.28a397ad52864272c6f76342f1feb173.jpg

When I built this C2 for Jesse Sim, the postage (by Parcel Force) to Australia was over £75.00. That ensured it was insured for £1,200 (Jesse paid half that at mates' rates). 

I considered that money well spent, especially with a paint job by Geoff Haynes (even though it took over two and a half months to get there). 

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, westerner said:

Thought I'd drop another couple of photos of Blakeney in, showing how the layout has progressed from when i took the photos for the article in this months BRM. Figures have been added all four are Modelu my reward for winning a couple of the Photo of the month competition on the GOG forum.

The show a Slaters Vanwide (built  and weathered by me), a Radley's kit of a Dodge Kew built, painted and weathered by me and the said Modelu figures, painted by me.

488360053_drakes1.jpg.1bb413034f763cc2f7432e811a9d7a0b.jpg

940992200_porter1.jpg.ef4bdee000af08987494f366f3f7d9d0.jpg

I really like those figures, very natural and well placed.

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

A point or two on painting................ My painting.

I'm quite happy to paint plain black locos I've made, and to weather them. Like the following.............

684109201_2PonNottingham-KingsLynnthree-set.jpg.fbefe98453b66de3b0cb16460daa3893.jpg

800234264_4F44418.jpg.f4d94aadd1c1b7becc43c0f186f935d8.jpg

91049261_Ivatt2-6-04MT43127.jpg.500d14d9c557ad0e0b57ce3fee558ed5.jpg

I didn't make all of this scratch-built Ivatt 4MT; just the chassis, much detail work and completed it (breaking the 'curse' as it were, since two guys who'd worked on had died and a third had been seriously injured in a road accident!). The painting is all mine, after Mike Edge kindly removed (chemically?) the crud of generations.

I made/painted the M&GNR catering car as well - I'm happy doing lined maroon. 

756424033_K261745.jpg.3d8c1028981995553eb2c13e270dbc3d.jpg

I'll even tackle lined black, though it's almost invisible on this old Nu-Cast K2. 

86657255_Diagram1968BTK08.jpg.ec35f1fb6b62b5ec32bbde02c0df9087.jpg

Just Halfords Ford Burgundy red, straight rom the rattle can, and transfer lining on this Comet adaptation. 

203722544_Rollingstock21.jpg.529d54e1aa00252498ef723d3ec08c1b.jpg

And plain Halfords satin black car acrylic (with wonderful transfers supplied by John Isherwood). This Mousa Models' resin carriage has now been weathered. 

All of these are, of course, merely layout locos and stock - certainly not destined for the glass case.

1839388727_Klondike325407.jpg.5d1abe0bc041a4483fc0fe15130423e9.jpg

And my attempt at teak, behind Jesse's C2. 'I'm' even looking at it! 

Tony I like the 'Flying Pig'. I do have a question though - If that is an M&GN one wouldn't its tender have had the cut-out for the tablet apparatus?

2 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

The perfect roundy roundy layout, big station one side and a loco depot the other.

Not too keen on wearing waders when standing in the operating well. :punish:

Well, I don't think the Tyne upstream of the swing bridge is being dredged much these days, so you might get away with it.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 6

On 18/10/2020 at 09:58, manna said:

" but today we have Peters Spares, and again we have a But, there postage prices have got up to an eye watering 40 pounds, per order, I was making up an order, when the new postage came into force, it went to my son and not straight to Australia, it may take another month before I get."

Terry (aka manna)

I am now very reluctant to purchase from Peters spares as this is over the top postage. I will however support retailers such as Wizard models as they  have the following which I find very fair on the purchaser and the retailer. 

Wizard models:-

"Orders outside the UK are sent using Royal Mail’s Tracked & Signed Air Mail service which generally takes between 3 and 10 calendar days (but note that your order may then be delayed in your country’s Customs). It is charged at £0.75 plus the cost of postage, subject to a minimum charge of £3.90 and a maximum of £21.00. Because of the way online credit card orders are processed, £21.00 is added to all overseas orders when you check out. Your payment is then adjusted for the difference between this notional amount and the actual cost when we pack and weigh your order."

Postage was cheaper along time ago but we all accept the costs are dependent on location.  The Ebay issue is up to the seller and Ebay (yes there are issues with the behavior of ebay and the Australian goverment regarding charging GST, Amazon and some book sellers also have the same issue)  as we know but we also have retailers such as Hatton's and Rails of Sheffield who have cost effective postage to countries outside of the UK and Europe. 

Manna it is a issue that we have to work through as Australians and support retailers that are happy to deal with us! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 7
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, DougN said:

I am now very reluctant to purchase from Peters spares as this is over the top postage. I will however support retailers such as Wizard models as they  have the following which I find very fair on the purchaser and the retailer. 

Wizard models:-

"Orders outside the UK are sent using Royal Mail’s Tracked & Signed Air Mail service which generally takes between 3 and 10 calendar days (but note that your order may then be delayed in your country’s Customs). It is charged at £0.75 plus the cost of postage, subject to a minimum charge of £3.90 and a maximum of £21.00. Because of the way online credit card orders are processed, £21.00 is added to all overseas orders when you check out. Your payment is then adjusted for the difference between this notional amount and the actual cost when we pack and weigh your order."

Postage was cheaper along time ago but we all accept the costs are dependent on location.  The Ebay issue is up to the seller and Ebay (yes there are issues with the behavior of ebay and the Australian goverment regarding charging GST, Amazon and some book sellers also have the same issue)  as we know but we also have retailers such as Hatton's and Rails of Sheffield who have cost effective postage to countries outside of the UK and Europe. 

Manna it is a issue that we have to work through as Australians and support retailers that are happy to deal with us! 

Spot on Doug. I have always had excellent service from Andrew at Wizard Models. I'd also like to mention Kernow, who also provide excellent service with very reasonable postage costs.

Usual disclaimer in both cases.

• Like 3
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Of course you can always do what a friend in Mureay Bridhe does. He gets items posted to me. I make up a bigger parcel and then post them on. But Ozpost 8s in a world of its own at the minute....

Baz

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

I agree St Enodoc, I only really started purchasing from Andrew at Wizard for a few years, I have come to appreciate, his stock of parts, kits and bits. So he has become my go too for the smaller hard to get bits. Then again I have spread around Dart Castings, Hattons, Eileens Emporium, for all the bits I have been looking for.  

That's great Barry, but not every one has the access to some one willing to do that. My sister who should bring things over when she heads back to see family is quite unreliable. 

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

8 hours ago, Arun Sharma said:

Tony I like the 'Flying Pig'. I do have a question though - If that is an M&GN one wouldn't its tender have had the cut-out for the tablet apparatus?

Good morning Arun,

Most-probably, though not every Ivatt 4 which ran on the M&GNR from time to time had tablet-catching apparatus, particularly in the summer months. 43127 was at New England for a time, so could have worked on the system. 

The tender body was already built (I built the sub-frame), and I considered it too difficult to cut out the aperture for the Whitaker device.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1