Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

1 hour ago, micklner said:

The vehicles all have wooden underframes, other than the Bogie vehicle. The solebars should be the body colour not Black, only the metal parts were painted Black.

Yeah I know, I’ll probably repaint them one day...

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Barry O said:

The Dapol Kit works up into a nice model for DP1

1369338595_protodeltic(1280x281).jpg.ea106564b83096224dab0be296125894.jpg

This one only has one lima power Bogie though..

Baz

Very nice indeed.  I'm sure you've noticed it has the bogie sideframes the wrong way round (steps don't align with the doors).  I believe the instructions were always incorrect in these kits so almost all are built with this fault and from memory, it's not easy to reverse the sides.

I have a Nabisco foods one un-started and a Dapol one which will go on a Lima chassis, I only really wanted the bogie sideframes to improve an old Hornby 37.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Barry Ten said:

Is the body beyond salvation, Tony? I've often thought "that's that!" after dropping something but after coming back to it with a clear head, things sometimes look more salvageable, if that's a word. If plastic cracks quite cleanly, it's surprisingly amenable to being reassembled with minimal signs of damage.

It is, Al!

Not only did it largely return to its component parts, those parts also shattered into tiny fragments in places. The problem is, it was also packed with lead, securely Araldited in place. Any pieces fixed to the Aradite survived, but anything else just 'exploded'! Both cabs disintegrated, the glazing cracked right through and somewhere in my garden there are buffers, air horns and all the etched plates. 

No hope, I'm afraid. No matter, it did well after all for 40+ years. 

I've ordered a replacement one from Locomotion (thanks to those who responded). This rather goes against the grain - it's RTR and, obviously, it won't have been made by me. However, it'll be far superior, and I'll personalise it by weathering/etc. Believe it or not, that'll 'destroy' its 'limited edition' status..............

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 7

31 minutes ago, Barry O said:

@Barry Ten mentioned Black 5s.. a particular favourite of mine

463058140_KsBlack545341.jpg.d80e462f3a5674bda53e9fda7c481b2e.jpg

a Ks model built by my late father - still using Ks wheels

308727602_Black545398.jpg.581cc34a1dd9a8ea525706cc6914145d.jpg

a very, very old Ks Black 5 built by @Nicktoix.. complete with cast coal load in the bunker

2051601744_Black545258.jpg.9c0d3a596a7a7ccdbb5901ef30b93955.jpg

a Model Loco Black 5 - remotored by me and repainted/weathered by me.

1334473942_modellocoblack545219.jpg.beccd467b088a0a5c209fb2d278bef4e.jpg

another Model Loco Black 5 bought from Frizinghall for £50 a long time ago

I also have had a few Hornby Black 5s... now I have only one

163616321_dirtyBlack5modified.JPG.a846b86c8117775f094c05924b52119b.JPG

the tender underframe has been modified to get rid of the "step"

And the latest purchase.. another Ks one to which I have fitted a Comet pony truck

743607907_Black545157LancashireYeomanry.JPG.9fb01f23d40aa6ea316a670dbe906be1.JPG

You really can never have enough Black 5s!

Baz

and missed the other Model Loco Black 5..

BLck 5 45238.jpg

Nice indeed, Barry,

However, I hope you haven't fitted a 'pony truck' to any Black Five, since none was ever a 2-6-0!

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, grob1234 said:

Its not that twin motor one that can do about 40 coaches is it?!

Tom,

I think you might be thinking of the EM Gauge one built by John Phillips and seen on High Dyke & Retford hauling lengthy trains at very high speeds whilst towing that "Bloody Rat". It was RED so I am not swearing.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

It is, Al!

Not only did it largely return to its component parts, those parts also shattered into tiny fragments in places. The problem is, it was also packed with lead, securely Araldited in place. Any pieces fixed to the Aradite survived, but anything else just 'exploded'! Both cabs disintegrated, the glazing cracked right through and somewhere in my garden there are buffers, air horns and all the etched plates. 

I've ordered a replacement one from Locomotion (thanks to those who responded). This rather goes against the grain - it's RTR and, obviously, it won't have been made by me. However, it'll be far superior, and I'll personalise it by weathering/etc. Believe it or not, that'll 'destroy' its 'limited edition' status..............

Regards,

Tony. 

Please do it, it is a model loco not a thing to just live in a box

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Further to the conversation a couple of weeks ago on eBay locos, here is a SE Finecast K3  that I’m currently ‘commissioning’ into my fleet for Gresley Jn.

C75D1167-C8EF-4F61-AE40-A19988A3A793.jpeg.426d81712dd37e6f82f3030cabf4731f.jpeg

It was bought a few months ago for £89 and appears to be very well built but missing a few details - most obviously the smokebox door number plate, shed code and a whistle. The ad described it as ‘possibly professionally built’ and it has a signature underneath. Does anyone recognise this?

A7AD9C0B-553F-4F61-AF06-9AA09141F14D.jpeg.65f9121c29657e5178b1ab57ab687037.jpeg

Commissioning involves a service - it’s now running very smoothly with a Mashima motor gearbox combo, DCC chip, replacing missing details, adding lamps etc., weathering and renumbering. I notice that the smokebox door has some noticeable rivets on it (see below). Looking at photos of the prototype these rivets are evident on a few, but not very many. Was this a feature of just a few locos or is it just that they only stand Out in certain lights? I note that my other K3s (Wills, Bachmann and SE Finecast) don’t have this feature. I suspect it will limit my choice for renumbering considerably. 

5764484E-5C3D-435C-9FA6-8A65603F0E62.jpeg.1e4911ff7a73f9bfafcf4d5b1ed56c09.jpeg

Edited by thegreenhowards
  • Like 15

3 hours ago, davefrk said:

Brass wheel bearings in coaches.  I had experienced the drifting axle holes in Bachmann bogies too, with at least one coach having the wheel flange rubbing on the coach floor making it 'heavy' to haul but now  with all my Mark 1 coaches fitted with brass bearings plus a few others the Bachmann Jubilee can 'walk away' with thirty coaches, all that were available on the day, admittedly none are metal but all the same the EMed but otherwise unmodified Jub performed perfectly.

Dave Franks

Never get tired of watching that.  Hope you are well Dave.

John

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, thegreenhowards said:

I notice that the smokebox door has some noticeable rivets on it (see below).

I suspect it will limit my choice for renumbering considerably. 

5764484E-5C3D-435C-9FA6-8A65603F0E62.jpeg.1e4911ff7a73f9bfafcf4d5b1ed56c09.jpeg

Having run through my archive of loco photos, it would seem that most, but by no means all locos of this class had visible rivets to the lower half of the smokebox door.

As to the rivets in the upper half; these are either invisible or barely visible - certainly nowhere near as prominent as in the lower half.

61800_01.jpg.73d9ebbf9f1cb60bd45087a436922267.jpg

Not my copyright - will remove if requested.

However, I have identified a number of locos that has prominent upper half rivets; 61800, 61808, 61812, 61818, 61833, 61853, 61856, 61905, 61906, 61942, 61949 & 61980. There were no doubt others, but I do not have clear photos of the smokebox door of the whole class.

61942_01.jpg.671cc56630400368301e13fce06a43fa.jpg

Note that 61942 is photographed, very clean, on a special train and, to my eyes, has had its smokebox door rivets highlighted with a light coloured paint.

If you would like to see any of the above photos, please PM me.

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, CUTLER2579 said:

Tom,

I think you might be thinking of the EM Gauge one built by John Phillips and seen on High Dyke & Retford hauling lengthy trains at very high speeds whilst towing that "Bloody Rat". It was RED so I am not swearing.

Slight confusion setting in there! There was a Prototype Deltic that the younger Wright was building for possible use on Retford that was a real brute in terms of the mechanism. That one did have some haulage trials but didn't ever get properly finished, or it wasn't the last time I saw it.

Later, the RTR Prototype Deltic appeared and one of those ended up on the layout. They are also prodigious haulers. The Retford one was, I believe, converted to EM by Pete Hill. 

The BR blue version that use to race around was not built by John Phillips. It was a Lima body, converted to EM, flush glazed and with much corrected and added detail and fitted with a second motor bogie by, if my memory is correct, Tim Brown.

Tim lost much of his interest in model railways some time ago and John Phillips has it now, which is where he comes in.

• Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, cctransuk said:

Having run through my archive of loco photos, it would seem that most, but by no means all locos of this class had visible rivets to the lower half of the smokebox door.

As to the rivets in the upper half; these are either invisible or barely visible - certainly nowhere near as prominent as in the lower half.

61800_01.jpg.73d9ebbf9f1cb60bd45087a436922267.jpg

However, I have identified a number of locos that has prominent upper half rivets; 61800, 61808, 61812, 61818, 61833, 61853, 61856, 61905, 61906, 61942, 61949 & 61980. There were no doubt others, but I do not have clear photos of the smokebox door of the whole class.

61942_01.jpg.671cc56630400368301e13fce06a43fa.jpg

Note that 61942 is photographed, very clean, on a special train and, to my eyes, has had its smokebox door rivets highlighted with a light coloured paint.

If you would like to see any of the above photos, please PM me.

John Isherwood.

Thanks John for that comprehensive reply. I think 61942 is ‘over-buffed’, it looks like it has measles!

From pictures in ‘working steam:LNER 2-6-0s’ I can add 61852 and confirm several of yours.

I’ve sent an email.

Andy

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

It is, Al!

Regards,

Tony. 

Good Evening Tony

I see you’ve ordered a Bachmann Deltic, but if you want to bring the other one back to life sometime, I have an unopened Dapol model somewhere. Yours if you want it.

Best Regards 

Lee

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, thegreenhowards said:

Thanks John for that comprehensive reply. I think 61942 is ‘over-buffed’, it looks like it has measles!

From pictures in ‘working steam:LNER 2-6-0s’ I can add 61852 and confirm several of yours.

I’ve sent an email.

Andy

61960 as well.

Simon

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 22/10/2020 at 20:42, Tony Wright said:

A sad tale for today..............

Mortality is 100% inevitable.

1893876982_DELTIConDownWhiteRose.jpg.88c53111bc5b699ea040e64c3f94a2de.jpg

Eight hours ago this 42 year old Kitmaster DELTIC was in one piece. Then, in attempting some routine maintenance, during the journey from Little Bytham to my workshop, I dropped it! On to stone flags! It did not survive, though, astonishingly it's old modified Lima chassis did; and, it still runs fine. Amazing.

Now, some questions if I may?

Are Dapol DELTIC (ex-Kitmaster) kits still available (and with them the name transfers)?

Nooooo..... :cry:

Would this be the very same Deltic that a certain young Bear very much admired on his visit to LB some months ago - sad news indeed.

I have read on numerous occasions that the Dapol-produced versions of Deltic kits (and others also) often suffer from distortion of the parts even when new, requiring various techniques to straighten the parts (hot water springs to mind) prior to assembly.  The word seems to be that the distortion is due to the use of recycled plastic.

3 hours ago, t-b-g said:

Slight confusion setting in there! There was a Prototype Deltic that the younger Wright was building for possible use on Retford that was a real brute in terms of the mechanism. That one did have some haulage trials but didn't ever get properly finished, or it wasn't the last time I saw it.

Later, the RTR Prototype Deltic appeared and one of those ended up on the layout. They are also prodigious haulers. The Retford one was, I believe, converted to EM by Pete Hill. 

The BR blue version that use to race around was not built by John Phillips. It was a Lima body, converted to EM, flush glazed and with much corrected and added detail and fitted with a second motor bogie by, if my memory is correct, Tim Brown.

Tim lost much of his interest in model railways some time ago and John Phillips has it now, which is where he comes in.

Confusion indeed, Tony,

Thanks for clearing things up.

The prototype DELTIC Wright junior No.1 was building was for Roy but it remains unfinished for three reasons. One, the minute 'payment' for it was mentioned, the project stalled. Two, not long afterwards, the Bachmann one became available and, three, Tom rather lost interest and started rebuilding a real E-Type Jag! It's now back on Retford, but just as unfinished - one day............

For test purposes, the twin-motored (two O Gauge Mashimas!) was built originally in OO. On Stoke, it was three inches from the rear of its train, effectively filling the whole circuit with its rake. Then, on accelerating, the whole thing 'imploded'. We never found the limits of its haulage capacity on Retford. I popped over between Christmas and New Year on one occasion with Tom, and, after 50 coaches were hooked on, the rake collapse inwards on the (generous) end curves. 

703363157_PrototypeDelticinEM.jpg.bb36f5594f787bacf2efc39a64082307.jpg

This is the brute in question.

32257407_LimaDelticD9001STPADDY.jpg.9f538fa8abba382f8de17a0d9d07bea9.jpg

Tom had converted a Lima Deltic to two motors some time earlier, using Class 37 bogies (it appeared in RM as a 'Student Modeller' project - Tom was still at school). 

We never had enough space on Stoke Summit to find out its haulage capacity (it's also packed with lead), but I coupled up 'The Queen of Scots', 'The Flying Scotsman', 'The Northumbrian', 'The Elizabethan' and 'The Yorkshire Pullman' behind it on Little Bytham, plus a further 14-car rake of mixed cars. It started the whole lot with ease, but then, as usual, the leading cars collapsed inwards on the end curves! 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 14
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

2 hours ago, lee74clarke said:

Good Evening Tony

I see you’ve ordered a Bachmann Deltic, but if you want to bring the other one back to life sometime, I have an unopened Dapol model somewhere. Yours if you want it.

Best Regards 

Lee

Thanks Lee,

It's much appreciated. It could be the way to go............... The chassis still runs fine. 

Regards,

Tony. 

36 minutes ago, polybear said:

Nooooo..... :cry:

Would this be the very same Deltic that a certain young Bear very much admired on his visit to LB some months ago - sad news indeed.

I have read on numerous occasions that the Dapol-produced versions of Deltic kits (and others also) often suffer from distortion of the parts even when new, requiring various techniques to straighten the parts (hot water springs to mind) prior to assembly.  The word seems to be that the distortion is due to the use of recycled plastic.

It was Brian.

Shame, but there you go. At least it can be replaced in one form or another.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

Thanks Lee,

It's much appreciated. It could be the way to go............... The chassis still runs fine. 

Regards,

Tony. 

I'm actually quite surprised at you going down the  rtr route Tony, when a decent kit and chassis are available. You'll be going DCC next.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Funny 9