Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Barry Ten said:

Assuming this is of interest...

I've been having a bit of fun in the last few weeks by shifting my layout from the GWR to the S&D a sort of reversible alter ego which can be achieved in about twenty minutes*. Under its GWR identity the layout is King's Hintock; under the S&D it becomes Stourpayne Marshall, a fictitious station on the double track section south of Blandford Forum.

This GWR scene, therefore:

stour1.jpg

becomes this:

stour19.jpg

and this:

stour3.jpg

becomes this:

stour14.jpg

Which in turn is now mostly complete:

stourpayne2.jpg

I envisaged doing something like this when I built the original layout, so all the railway-specific fittings are removable, as indeed are both platforms. In the end I took a short cut by retaining the platforms and the fences, reasoning that GWR and SR light stone are close enough to substitute for each other, and that plenty of places on the Southern (and S&D) used iron railings. Where the cattle dock is in the GWR version, the S&D version gains a goods shed and provender store.

In the foreground, where the GWR layout had a long siding running the entire length of the platform, the S&D layout uses a scenic module which drops over the siding to form the raised forecourt for the new station, now on the other side of the tracks.

The signals are the major cop-out, with GWR ones currently standing-in for LSWR block post lower quadrants. However, if it bothers me too much, the signals are also swappable, just needing new ones made and servo connections swapped over.

With all the GWR fittings removed, the station buildings, lamps, signal box etc go in a plastic container which can be put in the attic for a year or so while I enjoy running the layout in S&D mode.

As a consequence of that, I've had a great deal of enjoyment unboxing some of the locomotives which don't get to run on the GWR layout, such as Bulleid pacifics, Black 5s, 4Fs, 2Ps and so on. Some of these models have been in storage for a long time, upwards of ten years, and I've been gratified how well they've come back to life after some initial stiffness, or in some cases not appearing to run at all. Mostly all they needed was a bit of gentle encouragement, then a couple of laps around the layout to get them back as good as new.

Why the S&D? Family ties. My great grandfather was a porter at Blandford, so in a way modelling the S&D was always Plan A; I just got sidetracked a bit!

Al

* - changing the stock takes about two days, mind!

That is a clever idea, very well executed.

I may have to nick the concept! Two sets of buildings and infrastructure will save me much space and time, opposed to two layouts. I have been mulling over whether the next EM gauge layout should be Midland with GCR and GNR running powers or GCR with Midland and GNR running powers. With your idea, I could have both and I wouldn't need to change the stock.

I was having a conversation about just such arrangements with a friend yesterday. He models various railways and periods and was wondering about something similar. We got stuck working out how SR EMU trains in the late 1960s and pre-grouping GNR trains might make the 3rd rail situation tricky!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Barry Ten said:

I've been having a bit of fun in the last few weeks by shifting my layout from the GWR to the S&D a sort of reversible alter ego which can be achieved in about twenty minutes*. Under its GWR identity the layout is King's Hintock; under the S&D it becomes Stourpayne Marshall, a fictitious station on the double track section south of Blandford Forum.

That's excellent.

My main focus is 1950/60s Cornwall but I also have a few items in memory of a fine Scottish Holiday back in the 1980s (even down to a model of my own car of the period...!) . Every now and again they come out for a gallop but it would be nice to take things a little further from time to time. My layout doesn't incorporate a station but the china clay dry might be a bit of a giveaway...

• Like 3

23 hours ago, t-b-g said:

Hello Roy and thanks for the kind comment.

I use an OLFA cutter to make grooves in clear plastic for the smaller bars, paint with white acrylic and then rub the excess off when it has dried with a thumb or fingernail, so the plastic doesn't get scratched. I cut a long strip of material the right height and do the horizontal line or lines, depending on the style of window along the full length, so they will all line up on the finished model then measure off for the verticals. The window is then cut to size and the outer frame is then added in thin plastic strip, which allows the solvent to be applied to the outside edge.

I find most etched or laser cut windows are too heavy in the glazing bars for this type of window and this method gives me a consistent and thin line.

Once you have done one or two, it is surprisingly easy and quick to make windows this way.

DSCN2692.JPG.357a6cc9f8233be0aa26a19a5114eedf.JPG

Edited to add a photo. The glazing looks clouded but that is down to the photo/lighting or something else. In real life you can see through them just fine.

Thanks Tony , I hadn't thought of that method . Might give it a go as it's such a fine line .

Roy .

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Barry Ten said:

This GWR scene, therefore:

stour1.jpg

becomes this:

stour19.jpg

and this:

stour3.jpg

becomes this:

stour14.jpg

Which in turn is now mostly complete:

stourpayne2.jpg

I envisaged doing something like this when I built the original layout, so all the railway-specific fittings are removable, as indeed are both platforms. In the end I took a short cut by retaining the platforms and the fences, reasoning that GWR and SR light stone are close enough to substitute for each other, and that plenty of places on the Southern (and S&D) used iron railings. Where the cattle dock is in the GWR version, the S&D version gains a goods shed and provender store.

In the foreground, where the GWR layout had a long siding running the entire length of the platform, the S&D layout uses a scenic module which drops over the siding to form the raised forecourt for the new station, now on the other side of the tracks.

The signals are the major cop-out, with GWR ones currently standing-in for LSWR block post lower quadrants. However, if it bothers me too much, the signals are also swappable, just needing new ones made and servo connections swapped over.

With all the GWR fittings removed, the station buildings, lamps, signal box etc go in a plastic container which can be put in the attic for a year or so while I enjoy running the layout in S&D mode.

As a consequence of that, I've had a great deal of enjoyment unboxing some of the locomotives which don't get to run on the GWR layout, such as Bulleid pacifics, Black 5s, 4Fs, 2Ps and so on. Some of these models have been in storage for a long time, upwards of ten years, and I've been gratified how well they've come back to life after some initial stiffness, or in some cases not appearing to run at all. Mostly all they needed was a bit of gentle encouragement, then a couple of laps around the layout to get them back as good as new.

Why the S&D? Family ties. My great grandfather was a porter at Blandford, so in a way modelling the S&D was always Plan A; I just got sidetracked a bit!

Al

* - changing the stock takes about two days, mind!

What a great idea, Al,

What about signalling? I'm sure you'll have a plan.

Speaking of signals, sad to report that yet another Veismann signal motor has expired. Despite the very best efforts of Graham Nicholas and Andrew Burchall (and some not inconsiderable costs in terms of time, effort and money) I've decided to replace these hopelessly unreliable units. Out of nine installed by Graham some four/five years ago, there's been a 100% failure rate (not every one, but this is the third one to go beneath the simplest of all the signals). Even though there are devices fitted (which I find incomprehensible) which are supposed to protect the wretched things, these don't seem to work. I really cannot stand unreliability, so they'll be stripped out and junked - I wouldn't want to pass them on to any unsuspecting modeller. 

Tony (Gee), if you're reading this (I know you do), I have a future commission for you. A commission to install reliable servos to work the Little Bytham signals. When this situation 'improves', whenever it's convenient just book in a time please, my good friend. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
to clarify a point
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

I really cannot stand unreliability, so they'll be stripped out and junked - I wouldn't want to pass them on to any unsuspecting modeller.

Hi Tony,

An alternative would be to sell them on as "spares or repair", with an appropriate health warning attached - perhaps a few coins for CRUK in the process?

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

What a great idea, Al,

All the signals are servo-driven and demountable, so the original intention was to swap them for suitable LSWR or SR equivalents, either upper or lower quadrant, but for the time being pragmatism prevails. I'm retaining the GWR signals and squinting at them from three feet away, essentially pretending that they're LSWR block post lower quadrants.

I hope to get around to them eventually, but for the time being lots of other projects have priority, such as building two complete rakes of S&DJR coaching stock.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, TrevorP1 said:

That's excellent.

My main focus is 1950/60s Cornwall but I also have a few items in memory of a fine Scottish Holiday back in the 1980s (even down to a model of my own car of the period...!) . Every now and again they come out for a gallop but it would be nice to take things a little further from time to time. My layout doesn't incorporate a station but the china clay dry might be a bit of a giveaway...

Pop a distillery over the top.

• Like 4

Something rather interesting for today...................

Good friend, Ray Chessum is donating the following for funds for CRUK...........

615102089_Doncasterprototypewagons.jpg.e5ab8babbdaab629f27fa1f8fa8ac73e.jpg

These one-off Doncaster prototype wagons were scratch-built in OO by his late friend, Dennis Burfoot, mainly in Plastikard, with white metal fittings.

1222670364_MarshallFlemingcrane.jpg.0774ea423cf278e5ac0d9799065ca411.jpg

Dennis also built this Marshall, Fleming crane, again from scratch. 

All these models are over 50 years old. The crane did work (with gears from redundant electrical meters), but when Ray and I examined it yesterday, the cotton had broken and bits had gummed up and broken. Thus, yesterday evening, I repaired it and it's now fixed in static mode (though the vehicles still run).

If anyone is interested in purchasing these models, please make me an offer by PM - all proceeds going to CRUK. The wagons are one lot, and the crane the other. By the way, does anyone know anything about it? Apparently Dennis built the models using drawings published in the MRC in the '60s. 

Thanks for your generosity, Ray. 

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

• RMweb Gold

A general question about the older Bachmann Thompson coaches, if I may?

I understand that they're not very well-regarded by those who know about such things, but what are  the main deficiencies, and can they be improved with a little work? I have a set of three that I bought when I returned to the hobby and at the moment they're doing sterling work on my Exmouth-Cleethorpes train, and I might look at adding another vehicle or two from ebay.  I imagine the more recent Thompsons are much better, but I doubt they'd sit well together and - other than the expense - I'm rather attached to the older models, and would be quite happy to work on them a bit. Flush-glazing's one possibility, but am I right in saying there's something wrong with the roof profile, among other things?

Al

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

What a great idea, Al,

Speaking of signals, sad to report that yet another Veismann signal motor has expired. Despite the very best efforts of Graham Nicholas and Andrew Burchall (and some not inconsiderable costs in terms of time, effort and money) I've decided to replace these hopelessly unreliable units. Out of nine installed by Graham some four/five years ago, there's been a 100% failure rate (not every one, but this is the third one to go beneath the simplest of all the signals). Even though there are devices fitted (which I find incomprehensible) which are supposed to protect the wretched things, these don't seem to work. I really cannot stand unreliability, so they'll be stripped out and junked - I wouldn't want to pass them on to any unsuspecting modeller. 

Tony (Gee), if you're reading this (I know you do), I have a future commission for you. A commission to install reliable servos to work the Little Bytham signals. When this situation 'improves', whenever it's convenient just book in a time please, my good friend. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Yes Tony, I have read that!

I can't say that the prospect of doing fiddly work under fixed baseboards appeals greatly. I am just not as flexible as I used to be.

Nowadays, I tend to make things with ease of access very much in mind.

So hopefully it will be possible to remove the signals, fit servos and drop them in from above.

If you are happy with that I am sure we can sort something out once we can get together legally!

Don't know about a commission though. I was happy with the arrangement for the M&GN section. You buy the bits and I will be happy to fit them for a friend. Call it payment for all those old Romford wheels you gave me to help keep the Buckingham locos running and wouldn't take any money for!

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

17 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

Yes Tony, I have read that!

I can't say that the prospect of doing fiddly work under fixed baseboards appeals greatly. I am just not as flexible as I used to be.

Nowadays, I tend to make things with ease of access very much in mind.

So hopefully it will be possible to remove the signals, fit servos and drop them in from above.

If you are happy with that I am sure we can sort something out once we can get together legally!

Don't know about a commission though. I was happy with the arrangement for the M&GN section. You buy the bits and I will be happy to fit them for a friend. Call it payment for all those old Romford wheels you gave me to help keep the Buckingham locos running and wouldn't take any money for!

I'm happy with whatever you suggest, Tony. 

I can always get Tom's help should crawling under baseboards be necessary, though dropping the servos in from above should be possible (I'll just use a padsaw).

I'd rather you have something, though. How about even more old Romford wheels? There are dozens still here of all shapes and sizes.

Kind regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Thanks Richard,

'The Elizabethan' has an interesting story behind it. 

Thanks for all that information Tony, a really positive contribution to the hobby. I have a number of Bachmann Thompson coaches and would I be right in thinking that the etches are still available? I would be using them on South Coast trains from the North.

Again, quite exceptional pictures, 27 looks very fine but then I guess it should!

That wonderful BT film of "The Elizabethan" stirs great memories except for the silly commentary!  Sadly I was too young and poor to have a trip on it but did a few trips on the Night Scotsman going North although it was diesel hauled, my first railway "free pass" was used to visit York, Gateshead, Darlington Works, Tyne Dock and N/S Blyth. Seems so distant now such a different world.

On one occasion I had a nice run behind an A3 from York to Leeds, think it was Blink Bonny but I could, and as my family remind me, often wrong!

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi Tony,

I have recently purchased a J52 etched brass kit that uses closely spaced half etched lines to help bend the tank and bunker.  These lines run across the radius and therefore I know will result in a series of flats around the curve when it is formed.   Can I ask colleagues here whether there are any tricks they know of to avoid this side effect rather than cleaning it up after the curve is formed?

Thanks,

Frank 

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Chuffer Davies said:

Hi Tony,

I have recently purchased a J52 etched brass kit that uses closely spaced half etched lines to help bend the tank and bunker.  These lines run across the radius and therefore I know will result in a series of flats around the curve when it is formed.   Can I ask colleagues here whether there are any tricks they know of to avoid this side effect rather than cleaning it up after the curve is formed?

Thanks,

Frank 

I once had something similar and filled the slots with solder first and filed the surface flush and flat. When curved, it curved around just like a flat sheet would have done.

I hope that helps.

Cheers

Tony G

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

'The Elizabethan' has an interesting story behind it. 

Good to see your Elizabethan set. 

I recently gave Sandra's (formerly Roy Jackson's) Elizabethan set on Retford a bit of an overhaul. Apart from the Bachmann Mark 1s, it appeared to be built from Comet kits although I don't know whether the sides were Comet or another make. The wheels were mostly very dirty and not very free running but have now been serviced. Roy did not have quite the right formation for 1957 but, handily, there was a pressure-ventilated Thompson SK in the Flying Scotsman set so I was able to swap it with a Mark 1 SK in the Elizabethan to make the set correct for 1957, which was the only year it ran in maroon still with the buffet car and two ladies' retiring rooms. It was also the last year in which the Aberdeen portion had a Thompson SK. The only Bachmann Mark 1 remaining in the set is the BCK at the rear. 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 5