34 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

(weren't the two rebuilt 'Jubilees' identical - or near enough - to the rebuilt 'Patriots'?). 

I thought that - then had it pointed out to me that the cab side sheets were of different length. It's obvious once you know to look for it on a photo. 'So what?', you may say. Well, some of the things that get pointed about about differences to LNER pacific boilers seem quite hard to spot to me ... until they're pointed out and then they become obvious!

Of course, I only found about the difference between 5735/6 and the rebuilt Pats AFTER I'd renumbered my Hornby model up as 45736 'Phoenix. Ah well ...

6_Phoenix_and_photographers_crop.jpg.cef2010f9a07333c4792e616e410cdbc.jpg

(Andy York)

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 2
44 minutes ago, ScRSG said:

One 4-6-0 that is missing at the moment would be a Caprotti fitted Std. 5, even the DJH kit is no longer available and neither is the Crownline conversion kit.

Chas

I'm amazed that the Caprotti Black 5s have never been done RTR - I recall seeing my first one at Prestatyn back in the 1960s; impressive, if somewhat lacking in grace!

Since 'oddities' seem to have a particular sales attraction at present, I would think that there would be a good market for them.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Agree 3

A GWR 4-6-0 that is missing is a decent model of a Saint, particularly given the creation of Lady of Legend. Of course I'm not interested in one but I expect Hornby might do that eventually. They do seem to be more interested in large locos than smaller ones.

Andrew

• Agree 1
1 hour ago, LNER4479 said:

I thought that - then had it pointed out to me that the cab side sheets were of different length. It's obvious once you know to look for it on a photo. 'So what?', you may say. Well, some of the things that get pointed about about differences to LNER pacific boilers seem quite hard to spot to me ... until they're pointed out and then they become obvious!

Of course, I only found about the difference between 5735/6 and the rebuilt Pats AFTER I'd renumbered my Hornby model up as 45736 'Phoenix. Ah well ...

6_Phoenix_and_photographers_crop.jpg.cef2010f9a07333c4792e616e410cdbc.jpg

(Andy York)

Was it not Mainline who did the rebuilt Jubilees (as well as the long firebox Jubilees)? Don't know how "correct" the Pats were in light of the above comments re the cabs. Original split chassis, though, replace with Comet.

Chas

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, 2750Papyrus said:

Depends partly on whether the Bachmann V2 ever sees the light of day.  I think perhaps SR fans may deserve new models of the King Arthur and Schools classes.

I would have thought that the Hornby SR Arthurs & Schools were both relatively recent and detailed models; the BB/WC model is considerably older and didn't accomodate cab and other variations, and so I would have thought they would be well ahead of the Schools and Arthurs in any queue for refreshing. In terms of SR models we have also never had RTR versions of the U, U1, N15X and L1.

As to pre-grouping SR classes there are still more that have never been covered RTR than have been covered!

Tony

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
1 hour ago, Tony Teague said:

I would have thought that the Hornby SR Arthurs & Schools were both relatively recent and detailed models; the BB/WC model is considerably older and didn't accomodate cab and other variations, and so I would have thought they would be well ahead of the Schools and Arthurs in any queue for refreshing. In terms of SR models we have also never had RTR versions of the U, U1, N15X and L1.

As to pre-grouping SR classes there are still more that have never been covered RTR than have been covered!

Tony

The WC/BB (original) dates from 2001 and the rebuilt versions from around 2006 so they are not particularly old.

21 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Big Green locomotives?

46202 Princess Anne.

Well, it ran in traffic for longer than Leader did, which isn't difficult to achieve. Hornby has some of what it would need to do one.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Headstock said:

Missing  4-6-0? How a bout Fury. Available for the first time ready to run, in works grey, LMS Crimson lake and not so ready to run in LMS burnt orange and black.

Not sure of the latter, especially as someone was killed in that failure. 

Tim

• Agree 1

What we (well I) really need is an efficient "plug in" , non drooping, metal replacement for the horrible small tension lock coupling every manufacturer fits these days. And bin that swinging on corner mechanism whatever it is called., it's an even more horrid arrangement than the coupler.

I've just bought a small rake of Heljan BOC tank wagons from Hattons at a very good price. Superb wagons but for the above two points. Stop the train to quick and the droopy couplings over ride, sometimes causing derailments. Is a solid bar plug in type available ?

Brit15

Edited by APOLLO
  • Agree 2
14 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

There is a joke in there somewhere, hidden way beyond my comedic ability, about something Craven being on a wishlist. Somebody cleverer than me will have to work it out.

Nothing craven or Cravens about it. It's a Swindon Class 120 Cross-Country unit.

• Agree 4
45 minutes ago, APOLLO said:

What we (well I) really need is an efficient "plug in" , non drooping, metal replacement for the horrible small tension lock coupling every manufacturer fits these days. And bin that swinging on corner mechanism whatever it is called., it's an even more horrid arrangement than the coupler.

I've just bought a small rake of Heljan BOC tank wagons from Hattons at a very good price. Superb wagons but for the above two points. Stop the train to quick and the droopy couplings over ride, sometimes causing derailments. Is a solid bar plug in type available ?

Brit15

How about magnetic couplings? I have used some Hunt ones on Retford coaching stock and they seem to work OK.

• Informative/Useful 1
1 minute ago, robertcwp said:

How about magnetic couplings? I have used some Hunt ones on Retford coaching stock and they seem to work OK.

They look good - Thanks, I'll order a pack & try them.

Brit15

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, APOLLO said:

Brit15

Very definitely a yes for the metal coupler, and with the old style of riveted through an L flange fixing for the hook. The flimsy clip in hook design is utterly useless for layouts that have to be erected/dismantled even for home use due to double purpose layout/spare bedrooms. Up between family visits but dismantled so the bed can be used when the family come to stay!

Edited by john new
Typos corrected
  • Like 1
42 minutes ago, robertcwp said:

Nothing craven or Cravens about it. It's a Swindon Class 120 Cross-Country unit.

I know but the front is a bit like a Craven unit and it was just about worth it for the humour.

• Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2
5 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

From comparing photos of the two classes the lengths of the cab side sheets on the Rebuilt Patriots are slightly shorter than those on a Rebuilt Jubilee. Furthermore the side sheet lengths appear to be the same as those on the un-rebuilt members of the two classes, notwithstanding the fact that Patriots received new cabs upon being rebuilt, unlike the rebuilt Royal Scots. Is it possible to say that 'Comet' and 'Phoenix' retained their original cans? It appears that they did.

On the subject of 4-6-0s generally, the Bachmann Manor is extremely long in the tooth and doesn't brush up well in comparison with more recent releases.

On the LMS front, what about someone producing either an original or large boilered Claughton ready to run?

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1
6 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Good morning Phil,

'there are a lot of other 4-6-0’s that will also come into play.'

Which ones have not been available RTR down the years in BR days? The ex-GC B7s? The original 'Royal Scots'? The SR 'Remembrance' rebuilds? Others?

Regards,

Tony. 

Hi Tony,

Well I recall that it was only a few pages back that we were talking about B16/3's, as one example.  But if we are including Jubilee's (Bachmann) as due for a re-tooling or upgrade of some sort to current standards, then a goodly number of locomotives will fall into that category.   

You are right though, in that it will be interesting to see where the RTR manufacturers go next for new, big loco's.   I suspect it might be further back in time, with some of the grouping era motive power.  There are some very attractive engines from that era...

Phil.

It does become a problem for manufacturers when you run out of larger engines.  There is probably a bigger margin on larger locos and the (growing) collectors market tends to want bigger locos.  However, it also appears that the actual era and railway represented is less important, the loco just has to look appealing; otherwise there is no reason for so many unique prototypes or small, obscure classes being produced in RTR.

Iconic 4-6-0s?  Could I propose the Urie H15 class, the first two cylinder, outside Walschaert valve gear, mixed traffic locomotive in England.  Therefore the forerunner of all the Black 5, B1 and Standard locomotives.  They were a class of 26 locomotives but of four very distinctive sub classes,  so if one wants diversity .....  Bill

• Like 1
  • Agree 5