Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

9 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

Can I ask what may be a stupid question? I am trying to backdate my O gauge N1 to LNER livery and want to know what to use to line it. I believe that they were lined with single red lines but double lines round the boiler bands. However it’s quite difficult to be sure as on the black and white photos of the era the red fades into the black. Hornby and Bachmann seem to use a single think red line on the boiler bands but I think that’s wrong.

Looking at the Fox website they don’t do any specific LNER red lining. So I’m think of using their 0.35mm general purpose red lining for most of the loco and BR double red lining for the boiler bands. Does that seem a reasonable approach or is there a better answer out there (short of a bow pen which I’ve tried with no success)?

Thanks for any help.

Andy

G'Day Folks

Dangerous question that, N1's seemed to me, that some had lining and some didn't, not sure if all of Hornsey's N1's were lined, plain black seemed to be common, as many were Goods only. I left mine plain black.

manna

18 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

Oi! No need to apologise for anything LMS. Time to stand up and be proud of all things Stanier!

DSC00754.JPG

My earliest recollections were from a former G&SWR line but by then the Caley dominated under BR. Oddly enough my pal and I across the street saw all sorts exotic LMS and BR Pacifics schreetching along the check rails. (Sadly, never an A4)

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, manna said:

G'Day Folks

Dangerous question that, N1's seemed to me, that some had lining and some didn't, not sure if all of Hornsey's N1's were lined, plain black seemed to be common, as many were Goods only. I left mine plain black.

manna

Thanks Manna,

I was believing Yeadon which suggests they were lined up to the war.  I’m planning to use mine for suburban workings into a ‘Minories’  type station in London, so I was assuming it would be lined as a passenger loco although if they were all used interchangeably I suppose that’s debatable. It would save me some hassle if it was plain black but I quite fancy the lined out look. In any event, the question is still relevant as my N2 will be next if the N1 goes OK. I’m starting with the N1 as that is unlined BR black, whereas the N2 is in lined BR black and will therefore need more stripping back first.

Andy

• Like 1

9 hours ago, sandra said:

Hello Robert, yes I have run out of lamps so I’ll have to buy some. The A4 60018 Sparrow Hawk is the one without lamps. This locomotive has given lots of trouble, it derails and it can’t pull a heavy train up the gradient without slipping to a halt. The problem is that the front bogie, the driving wheels and the tender wheels are all compensated. The front bogie also has a spring.

To cut a long story short after much experimentation and some not inconsiderable amount of swearing I found that the principal problem was the spring on the bogie being too strong so I fitted a lighter one, I also removed the compensation unit from the tender. So the loco is now better but I don’t trust it with a passenger train so for the time being its been demoted to a humble goods train.

I have painted the roof of the first carriage in the Queen of Scots Pullman but it is not a good match for the rest of the train so I’ll have to have another go at this. I do find carriage roofs to be difficult to get right, often the colour is too blue as in this case so I’ll have to experiment further possibly including brown or green in the mix.

Sandra

Are you beginning to emulate Roy? :lol:

I can post the spare lamps I have, which are already drilled to go on lamp brackets although the holes may need enlarging a bit for some of the chunkier lamp brackets.

Most of the carriages I have added to Retford have their roofs painted in Humbrol matt 67 tank grey or matt 32 dark grey, washed over with very thinned down Railmatch weathered black. Some are just the Hornby colour gone over with thinned down weathered black.

The two cars at the front of the Queen of Scots were at the front both ways between King's Cross and Leeds Central so the roofs probably became very dirty.

60018 seems like something of a battle. I hope 60027 is now running OK again after its minor bogie troubles.

9 hours ago, t-b-g said:

The "Retford Mob" thing isn't about who works on the layout. It is just a bunch of friends and exists separately in its own right. Roy was the gang leader and the reason it formed but it functions as a social group even though he has gone. When we can, we meet up, go out and do things as a group and during the present problems we have an email group and lots of photos going round sharing what we are up to and there are lots of phone calls keeping us in touch. It has been really nice having such a bunch of friends during these difficult times.

So working to complete Retford and being part of the "Retford Mob" are two distinct things.

Perhaps a new phrase should be coined to describe Sandra and the good people helping her to progress the layout. Any suggestions?

The interlopers?

Or the Retford 'Groupies'?

Regards,

Tony.

Edited by Tony Wright
to add something

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

The interlopers?

Regards,

Tony.

I don't see it that way at all Tony. Sandra has already shown more appreciation and been more welcoming towards your input on Retford than Roy ever did or was.

It is just that I see it as a new chapter in the Retford story and you are very much part of the Retford layout project now.

I felt like a bit of an interloper when I first started tinkering with Buckingham but that soon passed away.

It is just that you are not involved in the ongoing and active informal social group, which we call the "Retford Mob" and which exists in a form that is independent and doesn't link directly to the layout as it did when Roy was around.

We have enlisted one new "member" since Roy died but that was after everybody was asked if they were happy with it and the good chap was invited to join.

It just seemed a good idea for the new Retford team to have a new name so we can keep referring to ourselves as we have done for years without confusion.

Edited by t-b-g
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

16 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

A further plea for help, please...............

61656.jpg.b14960d357a308e98f1a4eb08b0724e4.jpg

Can anyone identify this train, please? 

It's leaving Lincoln and heading south east down the joint line. The date is given as 1961, but that can't be right. I'd guess no later than 1957 because there's no evidence of the Pelham Street flyover in the background. 

Could it be the North Country Continental boat train, though it's got a BG in the middle? There appears to be a catering car as the sixth carriage. 

Could it be a Newcastle or York-Colchester train?

Any ideas gratefully-received.

Many thanks in anticipation. 

Passing Sincil Bank Junction with the direct line to Honington and Grantham on the left and the entrance to Robey's sidings on the far left, accessed off the Brick Siding loop.  I thought that I could date it as no later than 1956, as the houses on Great Northern Terrace are still occupied, but this clearance did not commence until c1960, and the area was still being demolished in the mid-sixties.  My guess is Newcastle-Colchester and I think 1955-1956.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, jrg1 said:

Passing Sincil Bank Junction with the direct line to Honington and Grantham on the left and the entrance to Robey's sidings on the far left, accessed off the Brick Siding loop.  I thought that I could date it as no later than 1956, as the houses on Great Northern Terrace are still occupied, but this clearance did not commence until c1960, and the area was still being demolished in the mid-sixties.  My guess is Newcastle-Colchester and I think 1955-1956.

I agree that there's no doubt about the location, with what looks like part of Ruston's works visible behind and right of the signal box. I think the difficulty is that of being certain of the service.

1 hour ago, t-b-g said:

I don't see it that way at all Tony. Sandra has already shown more appreciation and been more welcoming towards your input on Retford than Roy ever did or was.

It is just that I see it as a new chapter in the Retford story and you are very much part of the Retford layout project now.

I felt like a bit of an interloper when I first started tinkering with Buckingham but that soon passed away.

It is just that you are not involved in the ongoing and active informal social group, which we call the "Retford Mob" and which exists in a form that is independent and doesn't link directly to the layout as it did when Roy was around.

We have enlisted one new "member" since Roy died but that was after everybody was asked if they were happy with it and the good chap was invited to join.

It just seemed a good idea for the new Retford team to have a new name so we can keep referring to ourselves as we have done for years without confusion.

'It just seemed a good idea for the new Retford team to have a new name so we can keep referring to ourselves as we have done for years without confusion.'

A very sensible idea...................

Regards,

Tony. 

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

'It just seemed a good idea for the new Retford team to have a new name so we can keep referring to ourselves as we have done for years without confusion.'

A very sensible idea...................

Regards,

Tony. 

A bit like the Judean People's Front and the People's Front of Judea?

• Funny 15

Reading comments from t-b-g about Roy's lack of leadership got me thinking about his role as a storekeeper at the local power station which was where Ken Hill ( half of Narrow Road) met Roy many years ago. Getting served at the stores was a bit hit and miss as on occassions work on a coach or loco could not be interrupted to serve some dammed Instrument Engineer who darted around like some demented rabbit in car headlights. There was always tomorrow and behaving like that will only lead to a heart attack.

Eventually Ken was one of a few who were welcomed at the stores as he was discovered to be a member of the EMGS. 

From then on a long friendship existed which got me involved with Ken on rewiring  a couple of control panels and lunching at Roy's local which was another experience.Ken had the Ford Puma which was really a two seater with space in the back for a parcel. I was the parcel and Ken never drove slowly and the road was very bumpy,not so bad going,but returning on top of a large lunch and a couple of Jars it felt like the Dakar Rally and left me almost being violently - you know what - seeing my lunch again.However it led to me being made very welcome at "Retford" at any time and led to me introducing John (Gamston Bank) Houlden to Roy which turned out to be a blessing as John helped Roy with many tasks not associated with the railway over his latter years. John seldom visits RmWeb so won't be too embarresed by me saying that he was a great friend and help to our beloved Roy.

• Like 10

A few pages ago, I promised you some notes on the Southern Railway contribution to the Bournemouth - Newcastle service.  They were ordered in August 1928 to replace the LSWR stock and were amongst the first "high window" Maunsell stock.  I should really call them Lionel Lynes stock because all Maunsell did was to sign the order and later to christen them by planting his bum on a squab.

The order included both the Bournemouth - Newcastle/Bradford/Leeds and the Bournemouth - Birkenhead/Manchester stock, with Brake Compos provided for the Bradford, Leeds and Manchester portions.  To permit easy coupling to certain other railways' stock, the brake ends (both ends of Brake Compos) were fitted with British Standard gangways.  Also the Composites were to diagram 2303, externally the same as 2301 but with 3 first class and 4 third class compartments.  The full Thirds in this order were no different from other Thirds.  So by the early 1950s, set 459 comprised Brake Thirds 3666 & 3667 and Compo 5587.  The remaining stock was assembled from loose stock.  The restaurant pair would also be loose stock, indeed only the Bulleid 6-sets included dedicated catering stock.  Bill

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, CUTLER2579 said:

Reading comments from t-b-g about Roy's lack of leadership got me thinking about his role as a storekeeper at the local power station which was where Ken Hill ( half of Narrow Road) met Roy many years ago. Getting served at the stores was a bit hit and miss as on occassions work on a coach or loco could not be interrupted to serve some dammed Instrument Engineer who darted around like some demented rabbit in car headlights. There was always tomorrow and behaving like that will only lead to a heart attack.

Eventually Ken was one of a few who were welcomed at the stores as he was discovered to be a member of the EMGS. 

From then on a long friendship existed which got me involved with Ken on rewiring  a couple of control panels and lunching at Roy's local which was another experience.Ken had the Ford Puma which was really a two seater with space in the back for a parcel. I was the parcel and Ken never drove slowly and the road was very bumpy,not so bad going,but returning on top of a large lunch and a couple of Jars it felt like the Dakar Rally and left me almost being violently - you know what - seeing my lunch again.However it led to me being made very welcome at "Retford" at any time and led to me introducing John (Gamston Bank) Houlden to Roy which turned out to be a blessing as John helped Roy with many tasks not associated with the railway over his latter years. John seldom visits RmWeb so won't be too embarresed by me saying that he was a great friend and help to our beloved Roy.

It was quite a surprise to find out that Ken (and you) knew Roy before I did and I met him around 42 years ago. I did see him behind Gainsborough Central at a show in Doncaster before that, probably around 1975/6 but we didn't know each other then.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, 96701 said:

Retford being in Nottinghamshire, and the layout  being EM, how about mob becoming the EM Notts?

Retford the real station is in Nottinghamshire but the model is not therefore EM Notts would be a bit odd. I quite like Retford Massiv but I don’t think it’s in keeping with a model set in 1957.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, MJI said:

Tony

Out of interest what would happen if you wanted to run something Lima based on LB?

Martin

Martin,

The flanges would clatter along the tops of the chairs! Not in the fiddle yard (which is Peco Code 100) but on the scenic section.

Just out of curiosity, why would I want to run Lima stuff? 

Regards,

Tony. 

2 minutes ago, richard i said:

The Retford mods.......or rockers. 
fits for the era in the model. Also mods - modelers 

perhaps some who are in the group were themselves mods...or rockers if they were around at the time.
richard  

Why not just the 'Retfordians'? 

Or, is that the term for a native, anyway? 

RetfordiEMs? Has a ring........................

Edited by Tony Wright
to add something
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Martin,

The flanges would clatter along the tops of the chairs! Not in the fiddle yard (which is Peco Code 100) but on the scenic section.

Just out of curiosity, why would I want to run Lima stuff? 

Regards,

Tony. 

Mainly curious, but thinking of visitors, or conversions using Lima bases