Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

I'm glad to say I have a photograph of the real 4152 with a Stirling type D tender, but that doesn't make my K's boiler fat enough...

I'm sure there was a large selection of standard and non-standard sub-types of GN tender behind the many J3s. Latterly, I think that only those that came into LNER stock via the M&GN actually had a tender like the K's version of the Ivatt type B.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Shocked by my tender-attitude?

Can you find anyone observing any two of these arcane tenders which they'd swear were exactly the same? The front plate moves around like a modeller's nightmare, sometimes backwards, sometimes forwards, sometimes leaning, sometimes straight up, sometimes higher and sometimes lower. Two coal rails or three? Open or filled-in? Water filler? Round, like yours (and mine), or box-like (as original)? Water pick-up gear fitted, or not? 

Of course, I'd get a Gresley Pacific tender as (near) right as possible. There are plenty of works to help me. Where are The Book of The J3s, The Power of the J3s and any other similar volumes? 

Interestingly, none of the three tenders in these shots is the same as another. Which is right? Or wrong?

Go on then - I'm going to have a 'go', because I do declare that there is a touch of hypocrisy in your answer (an attribute you freely admit to on occasions)

Shocked by my tender-attitude? Yes!

Can you find anyone observing any two of these arcane tenders which they'd swear were exactly the same? The front plate moves around like a modeller's nightmare, sometimes backwards, sometimes forwards, sometimes leaning, sometimes straight up, sometimes higher and sometimes lower. Two coal rails or three? Open or filled-in? Water filler? Round, like yours (and mine), or box-like (as original)? Water pick-up gear fitted, or not?

Why should you expect them to all be the same? A4 tenders weren't all the same! And they changed over the years due to operational circumstances (eg the two - or was it three - cut down at the back to accommodate SR water cranes during the 1948 trials <-- did I get that right)

Of course, I'd get a Gresley Pacific tender as (near) right as possible. There are plenty of works to help me. Where are The Book of The J3s, The Power of the J3s and any other similar volumes?

Why do you need those books? You have the J3 Yeadons volumes you refer to so plenty of prototype pictures available for reference. And you yourself often advocate study of the prototype pictures rather than reliance on official documentation (hypocrisy?).

Interestingly, none of the three tenders in these shots is the same as another. Which is right? Or wrong?

The right one is the one that matches a photograph that fits your location / era.

Re the latter point, I'm just putting the finishing touches to my D2 (will post a pic on here when complete) and I have exactly the same conundrum. Variations include: chimney, dome, lubricators, ejector pipes, tender details (as well as the obvious fact that this one is a superheated type, with extended smokebox). For me that's part of the fun. I have a couple of books and have studied photos trying to find one that matches all the various features that would be right for Grantham 1938. I've finally found a photo (actually on an internet website, as it happened) so now I'm 'happy' to make it that one.

Does it matter? Of course not! Is there some personal satisfaction in getting it 'right'? Yes - of course there is! And that differs between all of us. Personally, I'm agonising over different tender types for 'Jubilees' in the 1950s at the moment ...

The real issue - I think - is that you can 'get away with' the J3 being an unremarkable, unloved type so any old one will do. Whereas if it's an A4 - well, it's got to be spot on! Therein lies the hypocrisy - well, 'inconsistency' at least.

Go on then - pick the bones out of that lot!

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 7
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

14 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

Go on then - I'm going to have a 'go', because I do declare that there is a touch of hypocrisy in your answer (an attribute you freely admit to on occasions)

Shocked by my tender-attitude? Yes!

Why should you expect them to all be the same? A4 tenders weren't all the same! And they changed over the years due to operational circumstances (eg the two - or was it three - cut down at the back to accommodate SR water cranes during the 1948 trials <-- did I get that right)

Why do you need those books? You have the J3 Yeadons volumes you refer to so plenty of prototype pictures available for reference. And you yourself often advocate study of the prototype pictures rather than reliance on official documentation (hypocrisy?).

The right one is the one that matches a photograph that fits your location / era.

Re the latter point, I'm just putting the finishing touches to my D2 (will post a pic on here when complete) and I have exactly the same conundrum. Variations include: chimney, dome, lubricators, ejector pipes, tender details (as well as the obvious fact that this on is a superheated type, with extended smokebox). For me that's part of the fun. I have a couple of books and have studied photos trying to find one that matches all the various features that would be right for Grantham 1938. I've finally found a photo (actually on an internet website, as it happened) so now I'm 'happy' to make it that one.

Does it matter? Of course not! Is there some personal satisfaction in getting it 'right'? Yes - of course there is! And that differs between all of us. Personally, I'm agonising over different tender types for 'Jubilees' in the 1950s at the moment ...

The real issue - I think - is that you can 'get away with' the J3 being an unremarkable, unloved type so any old one will do. Whereas if it's an A4 - well, it's got to be spot on! Therein lies the hypocrisy - well, 'inconsistency' at least.

Go on then - pick the bones out of that lot!

A most-reasoned response Graham,

Thank you.

Of course I have the books. However, one photograph doesn't reveal every nuance of every detail difference. When I asked about things like the 'Book of', taking, say, the A4s, there are several photos of each loco, including shots of the various tenders. Six to eight pictures of a single J3? Hardly likely! There were three cut-down A4 tenders, by the way. Each one the subject of umpteen photographs. 

I certainly don't expect every tender to be the same. Did I imply that? 

One final point; have you fitted the correct 12-spoked bogie wheels to your B17 yet? There are hundreds of photographs showing B17 bogies. Hypocrisy? That's where they were all the same.....................

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Tony Wright said:

One final point; have you fitted the correct 12-spoked bogie wheels to your B17 yet?

On the round tuit pile, Tony!

Seriously, I think there is a 'pecking order' for getting the details right. And that generally goes

1. locos

2. coaches

3. wagons

For (steam) locos, I think you can then think of that as:

1. BR era

2. Big Four

3. Pre-grouping

In other words, the further back in time you go, the harder it is to be certain of the details. And - yes - I absolutely 'get' the glamour locos attracting most attention - and critical comment. The were inevitably the most photographed.

Interestingly, re loco details, study of photos can be fascinating. Yesterday I was involved with an e-mail discussion about the loco featured in this photo:

https://mikemorant.smugmug.com/Trains-Railways-British-Isles/LMSR-and-BRM/LMSR-tank-locomotives/i-cHxSQF5/A

Shown at its then home shed of Darlington, can anybody spot the deliberate mistake?

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

Yep! And according to the ever excellent BR Database website ...

https://www.brdatabase.info/locoqry.php?action=locodata&type=S&id=426452173&loco=2639

... it never went anywhere near Crewe in its BR service history! So how did it acquire such a plate?

If I remember correctly, CBA to go find a book to confirm, Darlington was 51A?

It looks to me like there's a mark beside the 5, maybe a shortage of 51A plates so someone made something up?

There's a photo on the front cover of a book I have of a 9F on a passenger train at Nottingham Victoria. Again without digging it out the caption mentioned the apparently wrong shed code on the smokeboox.

It's plain to see that the actual numbers and letter on the plate are correct for the allocation of the loco at the time although one of the numbers isn't picked out with paint. I think Crewe is also mentioned in regard to this one as a coincidence.

I've often noticed that things that are plain to see are wrongly captioned.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

12 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

I am perplexed by the number of "safety professionals" that I know who ride motorcycles.

Nothing like putting oil, fuel and a red hot motor between your legs and going for a ride in a t shirt. Got two more weeks till I get to ride my new one...

• Like 2
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

8 minutes ago, great central said:

If I remember correctly, CBA to go find a book to confirm, Darlington was 51A?

It looks to me like there's a mark beside the 5, maybe a shortage of 51A plates so someone made something up?

That was the conclusion we came to - Darlington is indeed 51A. Although how the shed staff at Darlington managed to get their hands on a 5A Crewe plate is an equal mystery! At least it was better than removing it and crudely painting the number on, as so often happened at the very end.

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Apart from some detailing bits to do, the LRM J3 is about finished.

8497156_J314.jpg.2f1663fceee9e7ed4fd42851fcee6d91.jpg

I sort of gave up caring whether the tender is dead right in detail or not. Looking at pictures, no two seemed to be the same - three or two coal rails, different positions of the front bulkhead, whether some had a rear coal division plate or not, the type of filler, whether water pick-up apparatus was in place (even when it was removed, the breather cones remained) and whether tool boxes were present or not. If it's wrong, it's wrong!

I'm happy with how it looks and how it runs (every spare cubic quarter inch is full of lead).

A lovely little kit; everything fitted and it was great fun to build. Full marks to LRM.

Afternoon Tony

The J3 has turned into a lovely looking loco , it had me looking at their history as to when they were working, so going on the BR database I see the last one went in 1954 , I would have thought a little early for your running?  so rule one applies !

I can understand your problem with the tender, I have been going cross eyed looking at WD photos whilst making my Doncaster version,  but on a flicker site that has hundreds of images to study, without good photos then you are right , you do have to second guess.

Dennis

26 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Thanks David,

You can tell which locos have Portescaps!

Regards,

Tony. 

Hi Tony

I think its the locomotive sounds that gives your video the realism, close my eyes and I'm line-side back in the late 1950's.

A really great piece of photography work.

Regards

David

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

The next MR/M&GNR selection......................

And so, to the latest loco for the 'upper' trainset..................

1412576005_J317.jpg.b50368791e6d7dfad155478cfb83dd3d.jpg

Thanks Tony for these pictures. Always good to see this line in operation. Great picture of the bridge and of course the 'latest loco'.

Cheers, Dave

Edited by zr2498
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, D.Platt said:

Thanks Tony , I knew Rule 1 would be the case , but what a lovely selection of locos you can call on to use on the MR/M&GNR section.

I have gone as far as I can go with my WD , it started with a bargain buy off eBay (£70) ,I used your favourite paint stripper, first time I’ve used it , it certainly broke the body right down ! like I’ve mentioned I studied hundreds of photos online, you never notice all the variations till you really start looking.

The chassis was given a new set of Markits wheels and a high level gearbox with a 1628  flat can motor ,

I replaced the steps and added rear steps to the tender and removed the pick ups which had locked its wheels ! So a little more cleaning up after looking at these pictures ! then it’s the fun of painting and weathering it into 90056 

177CFF18-FE6E-4C9C-B8FD-EC2A89330BCE.jpeg

8BAE6F47-ED1D-4508-9569-B5806BD5C288.jpeg

Good evening Dennis,

Good to see the modified (Doncaster) firebox and the fact you've taken off the cast conduit for the ejector pipe, and replaced it with something much more realistic (and wiggly).

I didn't replace the ejector pipe on the one I built for myself..................

1550287111_AusterityonDownempties.jpg.d4bd30610dd031636874bdc5d7e9e120.jpg

It would have been better if I'd done so.

Still, Tony Geary didn't alter the ones on his DJH 'Austerities'

221968004_Austerity90299.jpg.ee07b8bd44eca4b7968c9fd1ddbf2964.jpg

1598055839_DJHAusterity.jpg.07e7060f4e795e2a5c2f33f07551e40c.jpg

Of which I'm now the happy owner. 

The picture of 90040 was taken earlier on in Bytham's construction. 

I've decided not to bother with fake smoke any more.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 19

2 hours ago, zr2498 said:

Thanks Tony for these pictures. Always good to see this line in operation. Great picture of the bridge and of course the 'latest loco'.

Cheers, Dave

Thanks Dave,

And, thanks once again for the great bridge.

I think I've included pictures of every class of loco to be seen on the M&GNR during the line's last decade (perhaps a D2 is needed as well? Are there any I've missed?), but not every individual example I've got. 

Since only ten locos are needed at any one time to run the upper sequence, having at least three/four spares for each working might seem excessive, but I like building locos.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

The next MR/M&GNR selection......................

1672373294_J11oncoals.jpg.d9d7527c9ad142939154eebc9ed915c4.jpg

J11s were common on the line in the '50s (Little Engines kit, all John Houlden's work). 

430039440_J1716painted.jpg.5776e0ba3a20c91b2eff71968d140ad0.jpg

298690953_J1719painted.jpg.0d4e2e644c0bbe00fac1101e4fac65f4.jpg

The 'fireboxgate' J17 (Crownline kit, now with Tom Foster for weathering). 

J40.jpg.da592686542a01b18bd37e65d7ce160d.jpg

A 'visiting' loco (though most appropriate). It's the work of Eric Fry.

46845695_Trainsrunning13J40.jpg.40c4af742b467b57584c0069b486b6c6.jpg

It was borrowed for the Bytham LNER '38 Weekend (held in 2018). A J3 (I think) waits for its passing. 

99304327_D9onMGNR.jpg.c975cac4eac42d71b5b81351f16290d8.jpg

I built a McGowan D9 for the same weekend, which Geoff Haynes painted. Again, the old (and rather wrong) girder bridge is still in place. 

623365062_MGNRsequence133FonDownfreight.jpg.7e9ef7ab3eb2a09f9a6604c12b537677.jpg

An MPD 3F (completed by me) heads the daily Down freight). 

1832954838_McGowanB123finished03.jpg.d596c42eebe31f66176a007a32529c7c.jpg

A McGowan B12/3 passes Bytham's MR 'box on 'The Leicester' in the early-'50s. 

2101152714_PDKB1236153002.jpg.b32a3528133d27f1aa09cfe915d85b8f.jpg

Later in the decade, some B12/3s were in lined black. Like this one, built from a PDK kit and painted by Ian Rathbone. 

883699937_K261745.jpg.e9bc8300ece2734fb0f890e25cea3fd7.jpg

K2s were also quite common on the line (an old Nu-Cast kit). 

14440772_WSMJ664234.jpg.8124367ec10e50f9a7d7f452d2a36cc3.jpg

As were J6s (an even older WSM kit).

And so, to the latest loco for the 'upper' trainset..................

1412576005_J317.jpg.b50368791e6d7dfad155478cfb83dd3d.jpg

Heading the daily Up goods. 

259650561_J318.jpg.170962af77a7ee29538ca47ed0be159b.jpg

And a passenger train still in teak. 

Apologies for some of these pictures having been seen before (in a different context), but the little bit of Little Bytham seems popular with some observers.  

I see my wagon isn’t good enough, it’s been left in the siding ;) 

• Friendly/supportive 4

13 hours ago, MJI said:

A stunt man who worked on a Bond film was a skilled bike rider. Did stunts on snow. He was challenged by skiing professionals to a best time on a fast downhill. He won. All I can remember is a 500cc trail bike.

Details are pre internet so cannot find the names.

Two wheels on snow can be a bit of a problem. Google "Mountain Of Hell Crash" for the video.

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Jesse Sim said:

Nothing like putting oil, fuel and a red hot motor between your legs and going for a ride in a t shirt. Got two more weeks till I get to ride my new one...

So what will you be riding/driving to my place a week tomorrow then?

13 hours ago, landscapes said:

Hi Tony

I think its the locomotive sounds that gives your video the realism, close my eyes and I'm line-side back in the late 1950's.

A really great piece of photography work.

Regards

David

Thanks again David,

I really enjoy the natural 'mechanical' sound generated by the trains running on Little Bytham, but it's just that, despite their smoothness, those (few) locos fitted with Portescaps tend to whine. The camera seems to pick this up more than the 'naked' ear. 

Speaking of a 'whine', watch out over the weekend for the BRM virtual exhibition, where I've taken moving footage on LB of the latest RTR offering, GT3. It really does whine; most-realistically!

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1