Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

Rob, of course we have seen something like this before.  But it is superb so keep them coming.

Most of us create a four dimensional representation of the prototype, then post a two dimensional photo or three dimensional video on RMWeb.  You follow a different route, taking the two dimensional image and using your skills to persuade the mark1 eyeball to accept the missing dimensions.

No one on Write Writes will object to your images but I think you should tell us they have been digitally altered.

Bill

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, bbishop said:

Rob, of course we have seen something like this before.  But it is superb so keep them coming.

Most of us create a four dimensional representation of the prototype, then post a two dimensional photo or three dimensional video on RMWeb.  You follow a different route, taking the two dimensional image and using your skills to persuade the mark1 eyeball to accept the missing dimensions.

No one on Write Writes will object to your images but I think you should tell us they have been digitally altered.

Bill

Thankyou Bill, and thank you Tony for allowing my occasional picture on your thread.

Here are two more illustrations of the pleasure I derive from buying RTR models and photographing them, they certainly lovely templates for 'painted' scenes ... no wonder heritage railways are rather popular.

6221_Princess_coronation_at_speed_3abcdefg_r2080.jpg.3cf725b684e6efd8d79a8bd3c7ccecd0.jpg

35028_MN_bulleid_golden_arrow_6abcdef_r2080.jpg.47e11595ba69b8c962c71e6c70a5dbdf.jpg

Thanks again.  and may I repeat my admiration for the models displayed on this thread without fanciful editing. 

Edited by robmcg
addition
  • Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 8

2 hours ago, robmcg said:

Ah, a favourite subject of mine, digitally-altered photos!  I am not as set-in-my- ways as some around here, being a mere 70 years, old and am thus open to some new ideas. *

* conditions may apply., 

In the past I have fallen foul of rules because I have not always made it clear that my own pictures are often altered by editing, having rather naively thought it obvious. After all, they are usually digital photographs of my models with grafted-on backgrounds, foregrounds, smoke and steam, just as I remember the real thing from the 50s and 60s. Thus they evoke a scene, and in no way are intended to be an accurate record, which is what some see as the role of photography.

There's the rub; are photographs accurate?  Or are they like painting, representations of a person place or thing?

In my opinion digital images can bring both together.

I would never choose to add smoke or steam to a photo of Little Bytham, it is a superb model of a place as it was in 1958, its beauty and craftsmanship is obvious, to graft smoke onto it simply does not work. Equally a portrait of a single beautiful model of a steam engine, craftmanship and art is self evident.

However when you use a model to paint something digitally and the intention is simply to evoke an imaginary scene, with good memories of the real thing, and also to celebrate the quality of a model, a whole range of ethical dilemmas comes  into play. Is it an archive of history? No.  Does it resemble something real? Yes...   rather as some paintings might do. 

The intention of a digital photograph is the key.  Photos must be honest, they should never pretend to be something they are not.  The swathes of painted smoke over models of steam depots do not please me at all,  but my own painting of smoke over a model may well do so, where the scene is rather like a well-crafted photo or painting.  Some photographers were simply brilliant, Treacy comes to mind, but the scenes they shot are long gone.  Thus models, manipulation of modern media, and a bit of creative time, and we can have a very modest equivalent, albeit without the authenticity..

Instead of adding smoke or steam to a model scene or engine, may I suggest an alternative?  Taking a portrait of a model and pasting it over a scene created from digital photos of real scenes. I do this a lot, it can make a model look superb, without detracting from it in my eyes and enhancing the beauty of the model.

Certainly it is not everyone's cup of tea, but the way a superb model can remind people of their days of spotting, as well as simply being attractive in itself, well this is the 'broad church' of modelling itself.

Here is a photo of a model I messed with yesterday...      the first ER post-war Pacific to be withdrawn?  A super Hornby RTR 00 model, too. Weathering by TMC. Picture edited.. 

60505_A2_yard_2abcdefg_r2080a.jpg.77ff7d46405306220dbdc578da81d2c1.jpg

Apologies if you have seen this or similar before.

Good evening Rob,

What you do with image manipulation is totally different from what I was being 'critical' about; that is, a picture taken of a model railway to which fake smoke has been added.

You carry on with what you're doing. The images are like paintings in a way - very different from fake smoke in pictures of trainsets.

Thank you, as always, for your praise of Little Bytham (and, as always, that praise should go to the team). I try to take pictures of it exactly as it is, so there is no smoke present (unless, catastrophe, a motor has burnt out!). As I say, all I do is remove any background clutter, but, I hope, let the models speak for themselves.

Regards,

Tony. 

P.S. It's not a question of my 'allowing' you to post your pictures on here. I don't have the right, either way (meaning I have no right to prevent your putting pictures on here). It's a free and open forum (it wouldn't work if it were not). It's open to all modellers, however they derive their satisfaction. 

Edited by Tony Wright
to add something
  • Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

12 hours ago, Beechnut said:

One of these perhaps? I do have the complete kit, just a sample to illustrate the similarities.

Brendan

916E9FA3-5E61-4553-B240-864F8D28E667.jpeg

I'm pretty sure that's a Cotswold/Western Precision Castings kit. Later in the Nu Cast range. I presume that R & J Supplies was it's original owners.

I've got one in the pile waiting for a chassis and basic detailing. I recognise the method of consruction wih the boiler/smokebox top and tank tops being one piece.

One on eBay now which is at a similar stage of construction as the one in Tony's post.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203285276896?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=710-134428-41853-0&mkcid=2&itemid=203285276896&targetid=1140014333902&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9046550&poi=&campaignid=12125486585&mkgroupid=123623196704&rlsatarget=pla-1140014333902&abcId=9300482&merchantid=6995734&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2vXur_yu7wIVAZ7tCh3XFAPaEAQYASABEgICGPD_BwE

Comet and Brassmasters do some detailing parts such as etched footsteps. One that is useful is the coal rails for the bunker.

http://www.brassmasters.co.uk/replacement_coal_rails.htm

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

6 hours ago, Nick Mitchell said:

Greetings.

Just before Christmas I posted a few photos showing progress on my 2mm Finescale Coal Tank as it was nearing completion.

I have now finished the painting, detailing and weathering, and thought you might like to see some pictures of the completed model - if only to prove I do occasionally finish things!

The origin of this model is a set of London Road Models etches which were photographically reduced to 2mm scale and produced in 8 thou' Nickel Silver. Wheels (brass with steel tyres), gears and other mechanical fittings are from the 2mm Scale Association range, and the motor is a 7mm diameter coreless similar to the ones Farish are currently installing in their N gauge models. Other than the buffers and the sand boxes, all the fittings have been turned or filed from brass by hand. The crew figures are 3D printings from Modelu.

With the weathering I've tried to capture subtle hints of things I've seen in photographs, such as the white staining on the side of the smokebox (which seemed quite common on Coal Tanks) and the half-hearted attempts by shed staff to clean the initials and numerals on the tank and bunker sides.

20210313_172242.jpg.897c93ab2afbe225cbdef526f67a898f.jpg

The driver's pose is also typical of that seen in several photographs, leaning on the tank top with hands clasped as if in prayer. On a Coal Tank, he was probably praying earnestly that it would stop when he applied the brakes!

20210313_172120.jpg.418562b535a1e693433857240e29a04e.jpg

20210313_172345.jpg.a665db5707a1b274ed33cb5217f0f274.jpg

20210313_172507.jpg.7eff1e96aaa73e44ea12d2cc2cc6789a.jpg

One bit of gimmickry, which was a last-minute addition to the loco just before I started the weathering, was to make a "firebox glow". It was an experiment in trying to solder really tiny things together, and it seems to have worked out OK.

In the centre of the photo below is the light source - an orange surface mount LED measuring 1.0 x 0.5mm. Soldered to one end of it is a similarly sized 1.5k resistor:

20210302_194144.jpg.7b5559e9b34e20242cbb8b6f651a1786.jpg

The LED and resistor are embedded in epoxy on the end cap of the motor, which forms the lower half of the back-head in the cab:

20210303_141231.jpg.72aec2cef06073f19bbf831899664f4a.jpg

I have turned down the brightness of the LED via settings on the decoder, and the final effect isn't too bad:

20210313_170552.jpg.947614584fcb71192d89d018fa49cfe5.jpg

Exquisite work Nick,

Thanks for showing us.

My 'ultimate' accolade would be that (without being told, and shown by comparison) it's virtually impossible to tell what scale it is. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Agree 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Nick Mitchell said:

If you insist... the trouble is these new-fangle shrunken 50p coins make everything look so massive...

(and this is my imperial cutting mat marked in inches - not feet!)

:swoon:           :swoon:           :swoon:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

I've just dipped into the virtual exhibition and discovered that I'm the modeller of the year! I'm rather astonished, given the calibre of the other nominees. 

May I please thank all those who voted for me? 

Not only that, Little Bytham came second in the layout of the year category. Bournemouth West won - a most-worthy victor.

I must admit to being a bit 'twitchy' about Little Bytham being nominated. You see, it's the work of so many modellers. I'd much sooner an award like this go to the one man/woman band where he/she does everything themselves. They don't farm out jobs which they feel too difficult, are self-reliant and (in my opinion) are the really all-round modellers. Their forebears have led the way - the Dennys, the Dyers, the Colinses, the Northwoods, the Pyrkes and many others. 

I'm not deriding those who pay others to do their modelling for them (they keep professionals in work), and the work of those working in groups must also be acknowledged (the winner, for instance), but it's just that I have a real admiration for those whose models, be they individual pieces or complete layouts, are entirely their own work.

May I suggest a layout category for that next year, please? 

How many locos have you built in the last year?

That may be to do with it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 8

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

For those who've not been following the virtual exhibition, here's my now painted/weathered (by Geoff Haynes) DJH 8F running.................

A splendid kit, a delight to build, and super-smooth with DJH's latest motor/gearbox combination (the small one!). 

I really like the natural mechanical noise of those minerals. To me, much more appropriate and satisfying that anything artificial. I have a motley rake of cattle wagons and ventilated vans which serve as a 'broccoli special' and when that rattles past at a scale 55 or so it has certain natural 'presence'. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, MJI said:

How many locos have you built in the last year?

That may be to do with it.

About two a month on average.........................

Mind you, that's been 'helped' by lockdowns. 20 shows a year as a demonstrator/loco doctor (previously) meant a lot of weekends away.  

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited because I don't seem to know the difference between one and two!

Edited by Tony Wright
to add something
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, richard i said:

Modeling question Tony.

how far beyond the buffer heads on carriages do you turn the hook down so that there is enough of a gap to get round the curves when hooked into a goalpost?

many thanks

richard 

Very unscientific Richard...................

It's dependent on the relative lengths of the vehicles to which they're attached - Pullmans have a slightly longer hook than four-wheeled vans, for instance.

I arrange each one so that, on the tightest bends, the buffers on adjacent vehicles almost touch on the inside of the curve - almost.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

For those who've not been following the virtual exhibition, here's my now painted/weathered (by Geoff Haynes) DJH 8F running.................

A splendid kit, a delight to build, and super-smooth with DJH's latest motor/gearbox combination (the small one!). 

Looks great. Was impressed with this kit and your build on earlier posts. Eagerly waiting for DJH to have this kit in stock. Not sure how long the usual waiting time is.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Ian Rathbone said:

Surely a Jinty wouldn’t have both the LMS cartouche and the coat of arms. I would remove the coat of arms before anyone sees it...

I've seen it and can't unsee it. It is weird. Did you have a photo? A black engine should have just the cartouche, which, like the number, should sit on the centre-line of tank and bunker:

image.png.945e4fe9378b1ae41ae0ebc498d36083.png

[By Andy Dingley (scanner) - Scan from Allen, Cecil J. (1928) The Steel Highway, London: Longmans, Green & Co., pp. facing page. (II) 101, Public Domain, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=10642327.]

Don't forget the 3 on the cab side-sheet.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1