Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

He's having us on. He needs to take a picture of the loco on top of the 50p piece before I'll believe that's 4mm let alone 2mm! That cutting mat is obviously an old imperial one, marked out in inches ...

• Agree 2
  • Funny 11

1 hour ago, Nick Mitchell said:

If you insist... the trouble is these new-fangle shrunken 50p coins make everything look so massive...

(and this is my imperial cutting mat marked in inches - not feet!)

:swoon:           :swoon:           :swoon:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nick Mitchell said:

If you insist... the trouble is these new-fangle shrunken 50p coins make everything look so massive...

(and this is my imperial cutting mat marked in inches - not feet!)

20210314_093245.jpg.fcebecbfa9738d844146906d93ab4157.jpg

Remarkable!

• Agree 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

5 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

I've just dipped into the virtual exhibition and discovered that I'm the modeller of the year! I'm rather astonished, given the calibre of the other nominees. 

May I please thank all those who voted for me? 

Not only that, Little Bytham came second in the layout of the year category. Bournemouth West won - a most-worthy victor.

I must admit to being a bit 'twitchy' about Little Bytham being nominated. You see, it's the work of so many modellers. I'd much sooner an award like this go to the one man/woman band where he/she does everything themselves. They don't farm out jobs which they feel too difficult, are self-reliant and (in my opinion) are the really all-round modellers. Their forebears have led the way - the Dennys, the Dyers, the Colinses, the Northwoods, the Pyrkes and many others. 

I'm not deriding those who pay others to do their modelling for them (they keep professionals in work), and the work of those working in groups must also be acknowledged (the winner, for instance), but it's just that I have a real admiration for those whose models, be they individual pieces or complete layouts, are entirely their own work.

May I suggest a layout category for that next year, please? 

How many locos have you built in the last year?

That may be to do with it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 8

9 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

For those who've not been following the virtual exhibition, here's my now painted/weathered (by Geoff Haynes) DJH 8F running.................

A splendid kit, a delight to build, and super-smooth with DJH's latest motor/gearbox combination (the small one!). 

I really like the natural mechanical noise of those minerals. To me, much more appropriate and satisfying that anything artificial. I have a motley rake of cattle wagons and ventilated vans which serve as a 'broccoli special' and when that rattles past at a scale 55 or so it has certain natural 'presence'. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Modeling question Tony.

how far beyond the buffer heads on carriages do you turn the hook down so that there is enough of a gap to get round the curves when hooked into a goalpost?

many thanks

richard 

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, MJI said:

How many locos have you built in the last year?

That may be to do with it.

About two a month on average.........................

Mind you, that's been 'helped' by lockdowns. 20 shows a year as a demonstrator/loco doctor (previously) meant a lot of weekends away.  

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited because I don't seem to know the difference between one and two!

Edited by Tony Wright
to add something
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, richard i said:

Modeling question Tony.

how far beyond the buffer heads on carriages do you turn the hook down so that there is enough of a gap to get round the curves when hooked into a goalpost?

many thanks

richard 

Very unscientific Richard...................

It's dependent on the relative lengths of the vehicles to which they're attached - Pullmans have a slightly longer hook than four-wheeled vans, for instance.

I arrange each one so that, on the tightest bends, the buffers on adjacent vehicles almost touch on the inside of the curve - almost.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

5 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

For those who've not been following the virtual exhibition, here's my now painted/weathered (by Geoff Haynes) DJH 8F running.................

A splendid kit, a delight to build, and super-smooth with DJH's latest motor/gearbox combination (the small one!). 

Looks great. Was impressed with this kit and your build on earlier posts. Eagerly waiting for DJH to have this kit in stock. Not sure how long the usual waiting time is.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Ian Rathbone said:

Surely a Jinty wouldn’t have both the LMS cartouche and the coat of arms. I would remove the coat of arms before anyone sees it...

I've seen it and can't unsee it. It is weird. Did you have a photo? A black engine should have just the cartouche, which, like the number, should sit on the centre-line of tank and bunker:

image.png.945e4fe9378b1ae41ae0ebc498d36083.png

[By Andy Dingley (scanner) - Scan from Allen, Cecil J. (1928) The Steel Highway, London: Longmans, Green & Co., pp. facing page. (II) 101, Public Domain, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=10642327.]

Don't forget the 3 on the cab side-sheet.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Very nice indeed, was initially going to comment on the great tower block model beside the track then figured it was a gate..... better go back to specsavers again

• Agree 1
  • Funny 6

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Ian Rathbone said:

Surely a Jinty wouldn’t have both the LMS cartouche and the coat of arms. I would remove the coat of arms before anyone sees it...

Thank you for the Gresley photos.

Regards

Ian R

Good morning Ian,

Have I misinterpreted the top picture on page 126 of  Essery and Jenkinson's Volume 4 of LMS Locomotives? Probably, though the symbol is round, not oval like a worksplate. 

It'll come off easily.

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright

22 minutes ago, TT3 said:

Very nice indeed, was initially going to comment on the great tower block model beside the track then figured it was a gate..... better go back to specsavers again

I get that a lot, someone once thought it was high rise apartments. 

I jsut get some nice afternoon sun that gives perfect light.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

59 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Good morning Ian,

Have I misinterpreted the top picture on page 126 of  Essery and Jenkinson's Volume 4 of LMS Locomotives? Probably, though the symbol is round, not oval like a worksplate. 

It'll come off easily.

Regards,

Tony. 

Could be the North British Loco. Company works plate, as they were circular. 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

4 minutes ago, Barclay said:

Could be the North British Loco. Company works plate, as they were circular. 

16564 in the photo I posted is a Vulcan engine of 1928; the works plate can be seen towards the bottom of the bunker side. I'd be surprised if the NBL worksplate would be allowed to obstruct the standard placing of the LMS insignia. 

I'm afraid I don't have the Essery & Jenkinson LMS Locomotives volumes.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Compound2632 said:

16564 in the photo I posted is a Vulcan engine of 1928; the works plate can be seen towards the bottom of the bunker side. I'd be surprised if the NBL worksplate would be allowed to obstruct the standard placing of the LMS insignia. 

I'm afraid I don't have the Essery & Jenkinson LMS Locomotives volumes.

The circular works plate was located underneath the rectangular 'LMS' motif. There was no coat of arms in this location, but the works plate, being circular, would resemble one in a slightly hazy photo.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1