Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

9 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hello Tony

The snowplough is a Southern Region one built using a Schools class tender.

image.png.b0c4d482b68932ec97ce8672e0b37f6e.png

As for the origin of the model I have no idea. Can I post your photo on the DEMU forum and see if any members there know who the manufacturer of the kit was?

Good morning Clive,

Of course, post the picture wherever you wish.

Would you like the snowplough? I'm not asking much for it. I'll keep it until we can meet up again if you wish.

Regards,

Tony. 

8 hours ago, Herbert Nigel said:

I’m no expert on the area but that looks very much like Boston Stump (St. Botolph’s church spire) just visible over the buffer beam and ahead of the smoke box.

From the direction of the sunlight I’m guessing it’s in a yard to the south of the station? Coincidentally Boston goods yard appears to lie in a suitable position.

Any Boston experts out there?

(Added additional information).

Thanks Herbert,

My apologies for the poor scan, but on closer investigation of the original image what you think is Boston Stump is actually a chimney stack with some scaffolding around it.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, great central said:

The top section of the building looks rather too narrow, to me at least, to be Boston although going on something rather hazy in the distance isn't that good a guide.

Also from the current track layout the houses to the right of the loco  should be more parallel to the running lines.

Always happy to be proved wrong of course by someone with greater knowledge.

Loco looks fresh out of works so a running in turn somewhere? Boston seems a bit remote from either Doncaster or Stratford.

It might well be somewhere in the Ipswich area itself.

Regards,

Tony. 

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Good morning Clive,

Of course, post the picture wherever you wish.

Would you like the snowplough? I'm not asking much for it. I'll keep it until we can meet up again if you wish.

Regards,

Tony. 

Hello Tony

I have posted the picture on the DEMU forum. Thank you.

Thank you for your offer, I am going to decline. My collection of ploughs are all Eastern Region ones. I wanted two for Hanging Hill, I just got a bit carried away with all the variations that were built.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Many thanks for all the information on the B17 pictures.................

Speaking of pictures......................

These are some items from the estate of Les Blackburn.

2080416254_APOCtankwagonkit.jpg.e0b601edc4a1b5a2d4dcc3b29421b00e.jpg

Has anyone any idea of the age of this kit? It's made by Wills and is a mixture of brass tube and white metal castings to make an Anglo Persian Oil Company dual tank wagon. It's complete as far as I can see.

2101275463_Staniertenders.jpg.cec81c2d7f289258dfa2d505fede32d1.jpg

Two Stanier tenders. The further one is Jamieson in nickel silver and the nearer one (K's?) is in white metal (rather nicely painted, too).

418714254_trackcleaningwagonandsnowplough.jpg.d2d8bc9bc8fd0930f919ee349fc91f32.jpg

I think we need Clive Mortimer here, at least with identifying the origin of the white metal snowplough. 

The nearer wagon is (I think) a track cleaning vehicle of some sort (origin unknown). Is it a modification from an actual prototype?

1380245603_trackcleaningwagon.jpg.5d400eafd2b5fbf5b23aa310ac5ad0e5.jpg

Here is the wagon inverted. Somewhere at the back of my mind (and it's a long way back!) I recall reading somewhere that to clean the track, one inserted cigarette filters soaked in meths into the cylinders (have I dreamed this?). 

Anyway, if anyone is interested in buying the items, please PM me. 

I'm presently scanning articles from old magazines, and I've literally just done a scan of a SR wagon used for track/railhead cleaning on the Folkstone branch. When I've processed the scans later, I'll post ithe short article here. It could well be the prototype?

Stewart

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Many thanks for all the information on the B17 pictures.................

Speaking of pictures......................

These are some items from the estate of Les Blackburn.

2080416254_APOCtankwagonkit.jpg.e0b601edc4a1b5a2d4dcc3b29421b00e.jpg

Has anyone any idea of the age of this kit? It's made by Wills and is a mixture of brass tube and white metal castings to make an Anglo Persian Oil Company dual tank wagon. It's complete as far as I can see.

2101275463_Staniertenders.jpg.cec81c2d7f289258dfa2d505fede32d1.jpg

Two Stanier tenders. The further one is Jamieson in nickel silver and the nearer one (K's?) is in white metal (rather nicely painted, too).

418714254_trackcleaningwagonandsnowplough.jpg.d2d8bc9bc8fd0930f919ee349fc91f32.jpg

I think we need Clive Mortimer here, at least with identifying the origin of the white metal snowplough. 

The nearer wagon is (I think) a track cleaning vehicle of some sort (origin unknown). Is it a modification from an actual prototype?

1380245603_trackcleaningwagon.jpg.5d400eafd2b5fbf5b23aa310ac5ad0e5.jpg

Here is the wagon inverted. Somewhere at the back of my mind (and it's a long way back!) I recall reading somewhere that to clean the track, one inserted cigarette filters soaked in meths into the cylinders (have I dreamed this?). 

Anyway, if anyone is interested in buying the items, please PM me. 

I noticed recently that both the APOC tank wagon and track cleaner were still available from SE Finecast. A late relative had a couple of the track cleaners and found them quite effective. He used something other than meths though. Lighter fluid possibly?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Denbridge said:

I noticed recently that both the APOC tank wagon and track cleaner were still available from SE Finecast. A late relative had a couple of the track cleaners and found them quite effective. He used something other than meths though. Lighter fluid possibly?

Many thanks,

I'd be surprised if the current SEF APOC tanker used brass rube.

Regards,

Tony. 

On 15/03/2021 at 15:49, Tony Wright said:

Speaking of painting.......................

The LRM J3 is now ready for its coats of paint.

1996695491_J319.jpg.9328e62680cfb614237238401c0634d5.jpg

1993424963_J320.jpg.977c967e26b811b7ca3044bcda0a1c6a.jpg

One thing which puzzles me is why folk struggle to solder bands on to etched boilers. If they're subsequently lined, I don't bother with them. If they'll be plain black (as in this case), I'll use PVC self-adhesive insulation tape, cut to the required width. It really is much easier.

The dodge is to cut them to length (adjacent to the dome, say) about half an hour after they're applied - that way they'll have shrunk to the correct length and adhere to the surface. A bead of superglue underneath the boiler at the end of each band ensure their staying put. 

Very nice, in all the 2275 pages I dare say that this question has already come up, but what is the K's model mean't to be? J3? J4?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, stewartingram said:

I'm presently scanning articles from old magazines, and I've literally just done a scan of a SR wagon used for track/railhead cleaning on the Folkstone branch. When I've processed the scans later, I'll post ithe short article here. It could well be the prototype?

Stewart

2126832326_SRrailcleaningwagon.pdf

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Many thanks,

I'd be surprised if the current SEF APOC tanker used brass rube.

Regards,

Tony. 

Good evening Tony, actually it does use brass tubing - I built one last summer:

923073570_APOCCL2020.jpg.6d38b784243cac2aee03e023226f22da.jpg

Various things like the strapping, the piping at each end, the drainage / outlet pipes and their wheels and so forth were added by me in addition to what came with the kit, and the lettering was the best match in plain lettering waterslide (from Fox I think) that I could find. Nice kit though, easy to build and a bit different :).

Edited by Chas Levin
  • Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

33 minutes ago, Chas Levin said:

Good evening Tony, actually it does use brass tubing - I built one last summer:

923073570_APOCCL2020.jpg.6d38b784243cac2aee03e023226f22da.jpg

Various things like the strapping, the piping at each end, the drainage / outlet pipes and their wheels and so forth were added by me in addition to what came with the kit, and the lettering was the best match in plain lettering waterslide (from Fox I think) that I could find. Nice kit though, easy to build and a bit different :).

That's excellent Chas,

Thanks for showing us.

There I was, thinking I'd stumbled across a piece of antiquity!

Regards,

Tony. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

That's excellent Chas,

Thanks for showing us.

There I was, thinking I'd stumbled across a piece of antiquity!

Regards,

Tony. 

SEF list 7 or 8 of these early Bob Wills kits. They must rank amongst the oldest 4mm kits in continuous production. I have one in a very similar box which has his original Coulsdon address on it.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

A request, please,

Does anyone have a High Level 1320 round coreless motor I can borrow, please. It's needed for designing a new chassis. 

Chris is currently furloughed and the motors are unobtainable at the moment.

Please PM me if you can help. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Denbridge said:

SEF list 7 or 8 of these early Bob Wills kits. They must rank amongst the oldest 4mm kits in continuous production. I have one in a very similar box which has his original Coulsdon address on it.

This one must be of the same vintage, though any address has long since crumbled off. It does note 'purchase tax' on the box, however.........................

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Howard Smith has kindly edited some more Little Bytham moving footage........................

Some of the 8F footage has been seen before.

Thanks Howard. 

Hi Tony

Excellent video, model railways cannot get any more realistic than this.

Thank you I thoroughly enjoyed watching it.

Regards

David

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, landscapes said:

Hi Tony

Regards

David

DCC sound would make it more realistic.......

Ooooh I’m in for six of the best for that comment...

Edited by Jesse Sim
  • Like 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 16

1 hour ago, landscapes said:

Hi Tony

Regards

David

Thanks David,

There's just one blooper. After the D9 passed the camera and its train was just out of sight, I turned the controller down far too quickly, resulting in an audible stutter. It really should have been cut out. 

Regards,

Tony.