Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

The LRM J3 is now weathered and in service.

370638889_J322.jpg.406e3973633219227a784b8006f9d1c8.jpg

I don't own an airbrush and no even less how to use one, so my method is Humbrol enamels (matt grey/brown/black) sables and dry-brushing. 

365432928_J325.jpg.c861329364f5d574353572eb846bf08a.jpg

I think the technique produces a naturally-grubby layout loco, and certainly at 'normal' viewing distances is acceptable to me. 

2127458148_J326.jpg.9764fb72165ff802ced7063cf34452c6.jpg

I tried to fit a 4mm crew in, but they were giants. The ones used are actually 3.5mm scale, and both members are sitting down.  

This veteran is just working out its last days in the early '50s. I'd be about six at the time, so, even if I saw one (at Retford) I have no recollection. Still, I like the antiquity of the dear old thing. And, I predict there'll never be one RTR in my lifetime..........................................

Lovely but wouldn't the windows have had at least a wipe over on a loco in traffic?

1 minute ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Lovely but wouldn't the windows have had at least a wipe over on a loco in traffic?

I've seen many photos of locos with similar or worse spectacle glazing in traffic; I suspect some of the older drivers always stuck their heads out of the cab cutaway as a matter of course. (Namby-pamby things, glazed spectacles)!

John Isherwood.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
48 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

I predict there'll never be one RTR in my lifetime..........................................

What a shame our local bookies has shut.  I feel the urge to put a tenner on an RTR J3 being announced in the next six months.

Rob

• Agree 1
  • Funny 3

46 minutes ago, MikeParkin65 said:

I wasn't sure Mike,

Some pictures show relatively clean spectacles (irrespective of the general condition of the loco) and some are really grubby. 

I think in my pictures the spectacles look dirtier than they are. Many prototype pictures are taken from low down, with light shining through the spectacles. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

I wasn't sure Mike,

Some pictures show relatively clean spectacles (irrespective of the general condition of the loco) and some are really grubby. 

I think in my pictures the spectacles look dirtier than they are. Many prototype pictures are taken from low down, with light shining through the spectacles. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Perhaps they are sunglasses

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Further to the J3 spectacles, a couple more images..................

1029465594_J323.jpg.6ce19efc2593be29774388efa8045ed3.jpg

Where a light ground can be seen behind them, I think they're about right with the level of dirt.

1659863860_J324.jpg.f076192c3ce0f78f47702ead516af822.jpg

Where there's no back light, they do look dirtier. 

Anyway, it's rather academic now because the loco's on the layout and I'll be doing nothing more to it. This splendid kit makes up into worthy layout loco, or at least I think so.

With the J3, this means that there are now 30 locos for use on the MR/M&GNR bit of LB; and there are only ten trains! 

I'm already rummaging through my kit boxes to see what's next to do, after I've completed the 'County' tank. 

Looks spot on in the layout context 

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

I've not found it the easiest of things to use ... and my hands were black by the time I'd finished. I'm tempted to say something to leave to the experts!

If at first you don't succeed...

give up.

A request, please...................

Does anyone know of (or have spare) a 4mm 6' - 6' tender sub-frame, please?

I'm building an EM set of Comet loco frames to go beneath my Crownline B17 CLUMBER, for service on the boat train on Retford. However, Comet doesn't do a 6' - 6' tender sub-frame.

I presume PDK still does a B17, though I doubt if a  sub-frame for the GE-style tender is available as a spare (it's the same for the B12 and the J17, and, no doubt, others). 

I could always scratch-build a set, but an etched one is much quicker.

Thanks in anticipation.  

Tony and others won't like my suggestion, but the quickest and cheapest way to scratch build a perfectly effective tender sub frame is to cut the main parts out from 40thou plastic (two layers per side if you want them really strong), drill the axle holes with the side frames sandwiched, & push in  some 2mm brass bearings or pieces of 2mm bore brass tube before adding the stretcher pieces. Build 'em square of course, and make sure the axles all end up in the same plane,  by putting long 2mm rods through the bearings during final assembly so that you can check by sight. Then get on with rest of life.

You can't solder the frames to the rest of the tender of course, but why would you want to fit them permanently anyway? Screws  allow removal for tweaking and servicing.

Edited by gr.king
Clarification
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

52 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Can I just ask, what use did the Southern Region have for snowploughs, especially such a monster as the one we've been shown? The South Downs are hardly the mountains of Craven let alone Drumochtar.

The coastal area is generally fairly mild although I think  the winter of 1963 was tough. So maybe mild in Eastbourne but just wait till you get to Heathfield and the Crowborough/Tunbridge Wells area.

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

Can I just ask, what use did the Southern Region have for snowploughs, especially such a monster as the one we've been shown? The South Downs are hardly the mountains of Craven let alone Drumochtar.

That area, the very south east corner in particular, does seem to catch some very bad weather.

The worst avalanche recorded in the UK was I believe in Kent.

Bernard

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

It's as much about the amount of people likely to be disrupted as the amount of snow and and others said, SE England regularly gets enough snow to be disruptive, almost every year.  Even here in leafy Surrey we've had nearly a foot of snow in some years; however remember that winters are generally milder now (global warming) and yes, the winters of '48 and '63 will live long in the memory across the country.

2 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Good afternoon Stephen,

I recall seeing an image of a 'West Country' completely immobile and inundated with snow in a huge drift in the winter of 1963; in the West Country. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Good afternoon Stephen,

I recall seeing an image of a 'West Country' completely immobile and inundated with snow in a huge drift in the winter of 1963; in the West Country. 

Regards,

Tony. 

I suppose an 'air smoothed' Bulleid is almost the opposite of a plough. A wedge in fact lol

• Funny 1

Winters were a lot harsher than what we are now accustomed to in recent decades. Even in 1960's Sussex i well remember having several inches of snow fairly regularly. I well remember older neighbours talking about being cut off in outlying areas.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Stephen

No idea except they had some Schools tenders going spare so made some ploughs out of them. About the same time Eastleigh was using V2 tender frames to make the BR independent snowplough which were allocated everywhere but the SR. 

2 hours ago, Northroader said:

C0F7BDAE-C1FA-4563-AE24-9C3110B87B9A.jpeg.08d2292a972989a1d803e50f071bfb63.jpeg

Happy days! That looks like Chatham, i think it was late 1980s or early 1990s i was a secondman/driver based at Gillingham then and i remember this! 

We were loco hauling everything from EPBs to CEPs and VEPs using 'Cromptons', 56s, EDs, anything we could lay our hands on really!

There was even a rumour that one of our drivers had to be airlifted by helicopter from the Isle of Sheppey, although i never got to ask him about that at the time! I can't remember the precise year, the writing on the picture is too blurry to read, thanks for posting, 

Regards, 

Jim. 

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

The prototype wasn't anything like as monstrous as the model.:jester:

My guess is there was a demand that "something must be done" after the winter of 1962/3 and the availability of redundant steam loco tenders meant it wouldn't cost a fortune. 

In any event, bits of Kent and Sussex do (or at least did) catch proper winters even in years  when we in the balmy south west merely got drenched....

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

Good afternoon Stephen,

Regards,

Tony. 

Not to mention the N Class mogul that was frozen into one for a week out near Okehampton....

It was eventually released by lighting a bonfire under it and pulling hard using an (officially withdrawn the previous autumn) Black Motor. 

John