Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

26 minutes ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello Bill

Below is how we listed the H15s in The Poll (with appropriate notes in the accompanying Guide):

4-6-0 LSWR H15 Rebuilt Drummond (30330-30335)

4-6-0 SR H15 Maunsell (30473-30478, 30521-30524)

4-6-0 LSWR H15 Urie (30482-30491)

The LSWR D15 was consistently around the middle point of the Low Polling segment.

Brian (on behalf of The 00 Poll Team)

Thanks Brian, there were significant differences between 335 (ex Drummond F13) and 330 - 334 (ex Drummond F13).  Bill

3 hours ago, MarkC said:

Regarding the prototype 3MT Moguls - ISTR that 4MT 76077 was being considered as the basis for a new build 77xxx at one time, but will now be restored in its own right.

Mark

I have a feeling that is why the other group are using 77021 as their loco number.

I think it's a spin off from the 3MT 2-6-2T project who are quite far down the route to completion.

http://www.82045.org.uk/index.html

https://www.svrwiki.com/BR_3MT_82045

spacer.png

Jason

• Like 11

20 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

It has traditionally been the case that, to attract r-t-r attention, the prototype needed to survive into BR ownership, and ideally long enough to carry either emblem.

On that basis, the Saint is perhaps a bit "borderline", with final withdrawal in 1953.

However, Hornby have done the Star, few of which lasted very much longer, so there is hope. Even more so now the Saint has been reincarnated at 12" to the foot scale, I'd think.

If anyone were to announce a model in OO, I'd bet tomorrow's breakfast that we'd quickly discover Hornby already have one on the go....

John

I'd be happy with a decent kit. In fact it would be my preference. Though i do still find it puzzling that such an important design has been ignored.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

18 hours ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello Tony and everyone

Here are some 'yet-to-be done' locos which have been high in The 00 Wishlist Poll over the years...

GWR:

County (current model very long in the tooth)

Great Bear

LMS

Turbomotive (which you mentioned)

Big Bertha

Caprotti Black 5

SR

The SR doesn't have a vast range of 'big locos' yet-to-be-done, but the following have been popular...

U and U1 2-6-0

Q 0-6-0

Z 0-8-0T

K 2-6-0

H15 4-6-0

W 2-6-4T

D1, E1 and L1 4-4-0

C2X 0-6-0

LNER

U1 Beyer-Garratt 

B16/1, B16/2 and B16/3

B2 (although this one is always in the Low Polling segment!)

BR

WD 2-10-0

Standard Class 5 Caprotti

Interesting that even the poll doesnt highlight the Saints, but the Great Bear is in there

• RMweb Premium

Good afternoon all

As the 77xxx has come up I thought I would show how mine finished up , I know the djh kit has some issues but at the end of the day I’am pretty happy with the end result.

I have made six high level gearboxes now ,very happy with the results it takes me about 30/40 minutes to put one together.

Dennis

E2E335D1-BAFE-4849-9FD9-EA0D8DE8F51A.jpeg

Edited by D.Platt
  • Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, bbishop said:

Thanks Brian, there were significant differences between 335 (ex Drummond F13) and 330 - 334 (ex Drummond F13).  Bill

Hello Bill

We alluded to that point in The Guide (as below). It would have been impossible for us to list every 'quirk' of every class. Hope that explains matters.

LSWR H15 Rebuilt Drummond 4-6-0 (30330-30335)

Nos.30330 to 30334 of the London & South Western Railway were 1924 Maunsell rebuilds with two outside cylinders of the Drummond 4-cylinder F13 class, whilst No.30335 was a 1914 Urie rebuild of the Drummond E14 class. Mixed traffic engines, they worked a variety of duties on the South Western Section, including main line freights and semi-fast passenger duties as well as holiday extras on summer Saturdays etc. Nos.30330-30335 had a long association with Salisbury shed. They were withdrawn between 1956 and 1961.

16 hours ago, SD85 said:

A U class is the big one in terms of locos not covered by RTR. Wide ranging, in service over five decades, and converting one from a Bachmann N class is a big job requiring scratchbuilding a new footplate and other things.

The argument seems to be 'why tool for a U as it's so similar to an N' but the 78xxx class are basically slightly upgraded versions of the Ivatt 2MT tender locos, and both of those have been or are being done RTR.

I can understand why the main manufacturers might have overlooked it, but it's very odd that a smaller manufacturer or shop haven't done one on commission.

I remember Bachmann promising other Maunsell moguls, including the U's when the N was first released all those years ago. I hope no-one was holding their breath :)

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Denbridge said:

Interesting that even the poll doesnt highlight the Saints, but the Great Bear is in there

Hello Denbridge

Apologies...I missed the Saint! It was in The Top 50.

(And it does depend on a definition of 'big locos' so there are bound to be some anomalies here and there as Tony and I have mentioned.)

Brian

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello Denbridge

Apologies...I missed the Saint! It was in The Top 50.

(And it does depend on a definition of 'big locos' so there are bound to be some anomalies here and there as Tony and I have mentioned.)

Brian

Good afternoon Brian,

Yes, 'big' is open to interpretation. For instance, every RA9 LNER/ex-LNER loco was bigger (or at least heavier) than anything the GWR had. Near 400 units!

Regards,

Tony.  

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Doesn't SE Finecast produce a 'Saint'?

Regards,

Tony. 

They do. But it is one of the old (very old) ex Bob Wills kits, which is really rather dated, lacking the kind of detail present in later kits. The biggest ommision is a complete lack of rivet detail. Ive built up quite a stash of these kits, but the thought of either adding overlays, or using rivet transfers to add the missing rivet detail has put me off building them, so far.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Denbridge said:

I remember Bachmann promising other Maunsell moguls, including the U's when the N was first released all those years ago. I hope no-one was holding their breath :)

As built, the essential variations within the N Class amounted to being RH or LH drive and whether the side-sheets of the tender sloped in at the top. OK, reframing by BR, and the fitting of Standard 4 chimneys complicated matters but an alternative chimney is easily catered for and not all received new frames so careful choice of numbers could limit the amount of tooling required. 

Th U Class has all the above, plus other variations arising from some being rebuilds of the River Class tanks, the most obvious one being differing cab widths. I haven't studied them closely, but there are said to be three or four distinct sub-classes.

John

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

As built, the essential variations within the N Class amounted to being RH or LH drive and whether the side-sheets of the tender sloped in at the top. OK, reframing by BR, and the fitting of Standard 4 chimneys complicated matters but an alternative chimney is easily catered for and not all received new frames so careful choice of numbers could limit the amount of tooling required. 

Th U Class has all the above, plus other variations arising from some being rebuilds of the River Class tanks, the most obvious one being differing cab widths. I haven't studied them closely, but there are said to be three or four distinct sub-classes.

John

I agree completely. Though my point was merely that, having promised further Maunsell moguls, Bachmann quietly dropped any further mention, for whatever reason.

1 hour ago, Denbridge said:

. . . the thought of either adding overlays, or using rivet transfers to add the missing rivet detail has put me off building them, so far.

The thought of the doing is almost always usually worse than the actual doing. Sometime you have to grab the bull by the horns, or get snowed under by unstarted and incompleted projects like me.

Edited by grahame
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

With the recent talk about RTR locos and what's needed to 'accurately' portray a section of (prototype) line, I've been updating my Little Bytham stud list. It now comprises............

A4 11 (ten kit-built).

A3 11 (nine kit-built)

A1/1 1 (kit-built)

A1 17 (16 kit-built)

A2/2 3 (all kit-built)

A2/1 1 (kit-built)

A2/3 5 (all kit-built)

A2 5 (four kit-built)

V2 12 (all kit-built)

W1 1 (kit-built)

B1 10 (all kit-built or Comet chassis under RTR bodies)

B16 4 (all kit-built)

B12 4 (three kit-built)

B17 1 (kit-built)

K2 2 (both kit-built)

K3 5 (four kit-built)

K1 3 (all kit-built)

K5 1 (kit-/scratch-built)

D3 1 (kit-built)

D11 1 (kit-built)

D16/3 2 (one kit-built)

O1/O4 9 (eight kit-/scratch-built)

O2 7 (six kit-built)

J3 1 (kit-built)

J6 5 (all kit-built)

J11 2 (both kit-built)

J39 2 (both kit-built)

J17 1 (kit-built)

L1 2 (both kit-built)

A5 2 (both kit-built)

Britannia 3 (two kit-built)

Standard Five 1 (kit-built)

Standard Four 2-6-0 2 (both kit-built)

Austerity 2-8-0 3 (all kit-built)

9F 5 (four kit-built)

2P 2 (one kit-built, one RTR body on Comet frames)

Ivatt 4MT 2-6-0 3 (one scratch-built)

3F 1 (kit-built)

4F 9 (four kit-built, three RTR bodies on SEF frames)

Ivatt 2MT 1 (modified RTR body/scratch-built)

8F 1 (kit-built) 

This includes locos running on the MR/M&GNR section as well, but not the 'funny' types I run of SR and LMR origin, nor the scratch-built K4.

The diesel types are not listed either. 

As can be seen, most have been kit-built, but looking through my list, most could be represented now by RTR; such has the availability burgeoned in recent times. The non-kit-built locos are extensively altered/modified/renumbered/renamed/weathered RTR items. 

Were I starting the likes of LB now at the age when I started building all those locos, would I still have made them all? A good question, though rather academic. Most have been (or were) built out of necessity - dodgy RTR at the time, lack of range and so on. No, I'd not have it any other way.

I should point out that eight of the kit-built locos in my list were made by others, and that the likes of the Graeme King bodies/adaptations are classed as kit-built.

And what about the wagons?

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Denbridge said:

I'd be happy with a decent kit. In fact it would be my preference. Though i do still find it puzzling that such an important design has been ignored.

It hasn't been.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/118566/hornby_r380_u_04_saint_class_locomotive_clevedon_court_2937_pre_owned_poor_box/stockdetail.aspx

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, thegreenhowards said:

Some people think they're ugly

They are, aren't they? The saddle tanks that preceded them have much more charm but possibly worse forward visibility. But why were such long tanks necessary, with the obstruction of access to the motion? Oiling through the hole in the tank must have been a pain. 

Edited by Compound2632

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Compound2632 said:

They are, aren't they? The saddle tanks that preceded them have much more charm but possibly worse forward visibility. But why were such long tanks necessary, with the obstruction of access to the motion? Oiling through the hole in the tank must have been a pain. 

I agree that the J52s were 'cuter'. But I still think the J50s have a wonderful purposeful air about them. They must have been successful as they were built over a long period (1914 to 1939).

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Doesn't SE Finecast produce a 'Saint'?

Regards,

Tony. 

Though it requires a fair degree of surgery to represent some of the straight framed types. I think Mike @Coach bogie has performed such alterations on various builds he's undertaken. I think the kit still comes with a white metal, not etched chassis.

David

• Informative/Useful 1

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I loved the Coffee Pots as I grew up surrounded by them at Hornby and Kings Cross. They  had a charm of their own......

I saw the Standard 5 with Caprotti Valve Gear listed earlier. Pure coincidence as I was cataloging stock a day or two ago. A DJH kit built by Graham Varley and sat in a box for years, but soon to have a decoder added and the wheels will turn once more....

DSCF1706.jpg.cb9fa5100799776ac86d3ac50160c11f.jpg

• Like 16

1 hour ago, grahame said:

The thought of the doing is almost always usually worse than the actual doing. Sometime you have to grab the bull by the horns, or get snowed under by unstarted and incompleted projects like me.

Ive done it in the past, maybe one day. I'm slowly getting back into modelling after a lay off. When my health decides to cooperate that is :mellow:

• Friendly/supportive 5