Jump to content

Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....


Recommended Posts

20 minutes ago, sandra said:

 

I did mention that I had built a M & L body kit for a Grange class. In the unlikely event anyone’s interested here’s a photo of it.5CB9915F-11AA-411E-927F-1A6481713151.jpeg.797839b556d326827a5e97f54f623488.jpegIt’s got a K’s 3500 gallon tender and the underframe is from a Mainline Manor. It’s painted in the pre 1956 livery of plain black which was applied to the Granges. After 1956 they got lined green livery.  I did know that a Grange did reach Huddersfield via the Great Central. I don’t think this really gives an excuse for it to appear on Retford. Anyway this is still OO gauge and it would require an entirely new chassis to run on Retford.

 

Sandra

Hi Sandra,

I’m interested....  Keep ‘em coming. That makes two of us who’ve modelled the GW in the past and now the LNER.  

Frank

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Chuffer Davies said:

That makes two of us who’ve modelled the GW in the past and now the LNER.  

... aka: 'seen the light'.

 

(sorry - couldn't resist. I'll get back into my box ...)

  • Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, jwealleans said:

I've heard a theory that someone in Control thought 6858 was a Type 3 diesel and that was why it was allowed to continue past Leicester.

 

Interesting theory.

 

The Bellcode book suggests Shefield Victoria was the farthest north on the GC that ex GW locos were allowed to go.

 

Brit15

Link to post
Share on other sites

On the subject of the Grange reaching Huddersfield, I found a caption from an issue of Steam Days magazine telling the story.

20210415_214556.jpg.ba00cf9d539a045560adcca29835fb8f.jpg

Also, speaking of Grange models, here's my Hornby Grange. It's been slightly detailed and repainted from BR black to lined green, as well as weathered in my usual fashion. It's now 6853 Morehampton Grange as it was in 1965, and is one of my favourite models. 

IMG_20201219_164428_870.jpg.6c655a1b3a9e5ea682b8dfbfc29438e5.jpg

  • Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Re the wondering of the Grange into deepest Yorkshire, the change over point for the inter regional workings going north was in fact Nottingham and there are lots of photos of ex GW locos at Nottingham using the turntable at the station. I have a photo of the Grange sitting at Huddersfield shed and apparently the shed master was doing his best to keep photographers away. The loco when it arrived at Crewe went down the line to Wellington and then on to Oxley.

David

 

  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, B661Sutton said:

On the subject of the Grange reaching Huddersfield, I found a caption from an issue of Steam Days magazine telling the story.

20210415_214556.jpg.ba00cf9d539a045560adcca29835fb8f.jpg

 

I wonder if this story is one of those that gets embellished with every re-telling.

 

EE Type 3 D6858 wasn't introduced until August 1963; there were only about 50 of the type in service by that time.  Did they even run up the GC or in South Yorkshire generally at that point, so would not have been well known by operational control?

  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

As soon as a locomotive build reaches this stage, it starts to look like (or one hopes) what it's supposed to be, and the end is in sight.

 

2125352899_CountyTank17.jpg.7b2ffc1786f24d1209c060142e04a84b.jpg

 

Shouldn't be too long now........................

 

 

Tony what's the ride height like on the County? The second-hand one I've got at present sits a bit high.

Andrew

Link to post
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, jwealleans said:

I've heard a theory that someone in Control thought 6858 was a Type 3 diesel and that was why it was allowed to continue past Leicester.

Hi There,

 

That reminds me of when 45407 was derailed on the trap points at Bury Bolton Street about twenty years ago. As it was a mainline registered locomotive it had to have an ultrasonic axle test, and so the man from Derby turned up with his oscilloscope to do the examination but couldn't because he had brought with him the trace diagram for the axle of a class 45 diesel.

 

Gibbo.

Edited by Gibbo675
Improper grammar.
  • Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

I have been working on detailing and weathering a Bachmann Austerity 280 which I have backdated from a Swindonised version back to 1947 condition.  It has a new topfeed, chimney, snifter and smokebox dart from Dave Bradwell, Finney lamp irons and a scratch built fire iron rack.  Weathering is a mix of paints and powders, would welcome any feedback as to how the weathering could be improved.

 

ABF47A5D-0460-4707-A1F2-58D3DB91E039.jpeg.9c08501892a65d7cdcf41ce102a05211.jpeg0C9FDFED-4006-495A-B44B-767277CD1879.jpeg.5ffefb5c4b2a2b52c263e2e7dc4dcd46.jpeg

 

While the soldering iron was out, I also build an L25 to finish off my TPO, so I now have an accurate formation for October 47.  Just need to get it painted now...  without the cutaways in the sides it makes a nice contrast with the rest of the rake2BBF2838-BB43-4A75-80D7-08D94E21DD37.jpeg.cc0068056078428b84f7734be97870f1.jpeg

Good morning Rich,

 

The weathering on the 'Dub-Dee' looks excellent to me. However, I think you've cranked the top lamp bracket the wrong way. It's the same as those on the front platform (which are correct). It should crank to the left when looking at the loco head-on. 

 

It's much easier to get the lamp irons correct if one doesn't model the GWR! 

 

Regards,

 

Tony. 

  • Agree 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Woodcock29 said:

Tony what's the ride height like on the County? The second-hand one I've got at present sits a bit high.

Andrew

Interesting, Andrew,

 

I never really thought to check, but it does ride a bit high. 

 

Other than shaving off the top of the frames (impossible now they're assembled) there's nothing that can be done. 

 

Regards,

 

Tony. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Good morning Rich,

 

The weathering on the 'Dub-Dee' looks excellent to me. However, I think you've cranked the top lamp bracket the wrong way. It's the same as those on the front platform (which are correct). It should crank to the left when looking at the loco head-on. 

 

It's much easier to get the lamp irons correct if one doesn't model the GWR! 

 

Regards,

 

Tony. 

Thanks, this style of weathering was a new endeavour as most locos have been somewhat cleaner, but I thought for of of these locos it just had to be completely filthy.  

 

I have assumed that a loco loaned to the GWR would have at least been fitted with GWR lamp irons when inspected at Swindon prior to entering service (I know there were other small modifications made around the cab fittings prior to nationalisation as well).  So I have just fitted a standard GWR lamp iron from the Finney etch, which I thought I had folded up right.  I have attached a clearer photo, as I think it is folded correctly for a GWR iron (so possibly just not so clear in my original photo)

3B7B5660-D114-4433-B4F0-AFCE47863BE4.jpeg

 

edit, the photo does show up that some of the paint has rubbed off the brass lamp iron, so that will need touching up before it goes back out to the layout...

Edited by The Fatadder
  • Like 6
  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Northmoor said:

I wonder if this story is one of those that gets embellished with every re-telling.

 

EE Type 3 D6858 wasn't introduced until August 1963; there were only about 50 of the type in service by that time.  Did they even run up the GC or in South Yorkshire generally at that point, so would not have been well known by operational control?

 

The Grange arrived in Huddersfield August 15, 1964, by which time EE Type 3s were widespread in Yorkshire.

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

Thanks, this style of weathering was a new endeavour as most locos have been somewhat cleaner, but I thought for of of these locos it just had to be completely filthy.  

 

I have assumed that a loco loaned to the GWR would have at least been fitted with GWR lamp irons when inspected at Swindon prior to entering service (I know there were other small modifications made around the cab fittings prior to nationalisation as well).  So I have just fitted a standard GWR lamp iron from the Finney etch, which I thought I had folded up right.  I have attached a clearer photo, as I think it is folded correctly for a GWR iron (so possibly just not so clear in my original photo)

3B7B5660-D114-4433-B4F0-AFCE47863BE4.jpeg

 

edit, the photo does show up that some of the paint has rubbed off the brass lamp iron, so that will need touching up before it goes back out to the layout...

Thanks Rich,

 

I misinterpreted your original photograph.

 

Regards,

 

Tony. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, Retro_man said:

 

The Grange arrived in Huddersfield August 15, 1964, by which time EE Type 3s were widespread in Yorkshire.

 

 

That would make sense (and the Grange wasn't withdrawn until late '65) but the Steam Days article quoted said August 1962, so I assume that was a typo.  Clearly they didn't employ a Mr. A. Wright as proof-reader......

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

That would make sense (and the Grange wasn't withdrawn until late '65) but the Steam Days article quoted said August 1962, so I assume that was a typo.  Clearly they didn't employ a Mr. A. Wright as proof-reader......

Hardly, at the time. 

 

I was only 18 years old! 

 

Regards,

 

Tony. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

That would make sense (and the Grange wasn't withdrawn until late '65) but the Steam Days article quoted said August 1962, so I assume that was a typo.  Clearly they didn't employ a Mr. A. Wright as proof-reader......

The photo in the article was dated August 1962, however the text stated "Almost exactly 2 years after this photograph was taken No 6858 infamously collected the accolade of becoming the only ex-GWR locomotive to travel Huddersfield uninvited!"

 

I was 15 years old and living in Bradford at the time when I heard through the grapevine that there was a Grange in Huddersfield shed. After riding my bike there I was not allowed in the shed and unfortunately did not see 6858.

  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, Retro_man said:

The photo in the article was dated August 1962, however the text stated "Almost exactly 2 years after this photograph was taken No 6858 infamously collected the accolade of becoming the only ex-GWR locomotive to travel Huddersfield uninvited!"

 

I was 15 years old and living in Bradford at the time when I heard through the grapevine that there was a Grange in Huddersfield shed. After riding my bike there I was not allowed in the shed and unfortunately did not see 6858.

Thank you for demonstrating why I don't work as proof-reader.

  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Bodywork now complete on the Gibson 'County' 4-4-2T

 

2053764530_CountyTank18.jpg.462cab1d86f23c4ee3500d3d7726445d.jpg

 

The steps were incredibly flimsy, and I've added support in the form of square-section brass stock.

 

After testing on curves, I moved the front ones further forward. Soldered in exactly the right place, even on fairly generous curves, they fouled the front bogie wheels. A pragmatic compromise? Or is a pragmatic compromise tautology? 

 

Unlike many 'professionally-built' locos, this one will have to run on a layout, with a minimum radius of 3'. 

Edited by Tony Wright
typo error
  • Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

Apologies Tony - I've reduced myself to being a mere box opener ...

 

 

DSC01142.JPG.f3294cd4cdb4452163bcd93a27fdc463.JPG

Does look rather at home though, doesn't it?

 

My goodness, what riches we have at our disposal these days. As you often say, what's left to kit / scratchbuild, other than for the very fun of doing it?

 

For me, it's all about the setting with this train and there's other rolling stock items I can focus on (eg sleeper vehicles) and just enjoy the overall visual impact of the Coro Scot on the layout. I intend bringing this along with us when exhibitions resume. Loco needs a bit of work, mind - it's a previous era Hornby offering. I had to economise somewhere!

 

More pictures on my layout thread if anyone's interested

(This picture is about the closest angle and positioning I could get to the classic LMS Norman Wilkinson poster. If anyone fancies a 'go' at it they're more than welcome...)

That is stunning. I wonder if we ever see an equivalent ECML train?

  • Agree 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

Apologies Tony - I've reduced myself to being a mere box opener ...

 

 

DSC01142.JPG.f3294cd4cdb4452163bcd93a27fdc463.JPG

Does look rather at home though, doesn't it?

 

My goodness, what riches we have at our disposal these days. As you often say, what's left to kit / scratchbuild, other than for the very fun of doing it?

 

For me, it's all about the setting with this train and there's other rolling stock items I can focus on (eg sleeper vehicles) and just enjoy the overall visual impact of the Coro Scot on the layout. I intend bringing this along with us when exhibitions resume. Loco needs a bit of work, mind - it's a previous era Hornby offering. I had to economise somewhere!

 

More pictures on my layout thread if anyone's interested

(This picture is about the closest angle and positioning I could get to the classic LMS Norman Wilkinson poster. If anyone fancies a 'go' at it they're more than welcome...)

Now that looks the part.. drop dead gorgeous with a cherry on the top as they used to say...A picture of power and speed...

 

Baz

  • Like 4
  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, davidw said:

That is stunning. I wonder if we ever see an equivalent ECML train?

Only a fool would bet against it these days, especially if this one sells well.

 

Of course, these particular vehicles do have a wider potential in normal service LMS and BR liveries, the kitchen cars in particular. For the other vehicles, the roofs have the PV ducting as part of an integral roof moulding so not quite so straightforward for those vehicles ... but maybe Hornby have 'designed clever' in that regard?

  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, davidw said:

That is stunning. I wonder if we ever see an equivalent ECML train?

I was on a group call, last night and we were speculating if we would see either a full GWR Centenary train or a complete Torbay Express composed of 1929 stock. We settled on the Torbay as the stock was used in general service, after a while with more options for livery variations and sales possibilities. It could have been because they all knew I had made the complete Torbay from kit builds, just to wind me up.:D

 

Mike Wiltshire

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

Only a fool would bet against it these days, especially if this one sells well.

 

Of course, these particular vehicles do have a wider potential in normal service LMS and BR liveries, the kitchen cars in particular. For the other vehicles, the roofs have the PV ducting as part of an integral roof moulding so not quite so straightforward for those vehicles ... but maybe Hornby have 'designed clever' in that regard?

On a previous Hornby Engine shed blog the trial images showed the 65' diner with normal service vents. Looks like they are planning ahead.

 

Scroll down to the RFO

 

https://uk.Hornby.com/community/blog-and-news/engine-shed/1937-present-day-wcml-lms-coronation-scot-coaches-and-avanti-west-coast-pendolino-sets

 

Interesting how the GWR coaches feature (not cropped out) in the Severn Valley Shots?????

 

Mike Wiltshire

  • Informative/Useful 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...