Jump to content

Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, St Enodoc said:

If you used insulated wheels on both sides, ran the red and black wires from the pickups to the decoder, then ran the orange wire to the insulated motor brush and the grey wire to the frames I think that might work (happy to be shot down...)?

I think that would work in theory. But in practice any stray short would go straight to the motor terminal and back to the decoder which it would not appreciate. I suspect that would be new decoder time! Therefore, I think it’s highly inadvisable in practice. I have one such loco to convert and I’m still dithering over how to do it as it runs so well with the D13.

 

Andy

  • Agree 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Chuffer Davies said:

Technically it would work but if there was then a short anywhere on the frames then it would probably blow the chip.  Somewhat risky therefore.. 

Frank

You beat me to it. Totally agree.

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, 92220 said:

Good evening Tony,

 

I hope that you and Mo are both well.

 

I thought that you might be interested in these clips - very raw and unfinished of course, but:

  • prototype location to scale (apart from the gauge)
  • 4 track mainline
  • 8P pacifics (plus a few others!) built all or part from kits
  • various brass carriages among the rtr, using your couplings


Much still to do!


Best wishes,

 

Iain

We're both very well, thanks, Iain.

 

I hope you and yours are, too.

 

Great clips! Thanks ever so much for showing us.

 

Regards,

 

Tony. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, thegreenhowards said:

I think that would work in theory. But in practice any stray short would go straight to the motor terminal and back to the decoder which it would not appreciate. I suspect that would be new decoder time! Therefore, I think it’s highly inadvisable in practice. I have one such loco to convert and I’m still dithering over how to do it as it runs so well with the D13.

 

Andy

The easiest solution is not to use DCC, Andy.

 

Regards,

 

Tony. 

  • Agree 8
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

 

It ran very well; sweetly, quietly and powerfully, though not as fast as the AM9, DJH's larger motor/gearbox. I decided not to keep it (I never saw 60835), so sold it on to Andy Sparkes (most appropriately, The Green Howards on here) who's very happy with it, though he also reports its being slower than other locos - not sluggish, just not as high a top speed. 

 

I know Andy dips into here, so he might comment. He might even shoot a little video for you. 

 

I would agree totally with that description. It is very powerful and will pull more than almost any other steam loco I own. In my opinion it is not the motor which is normally the critical part of haulage ability but the weight of the loco and Tony has stuffed every available orifice on this V2 with lead in his normal way!

 

I do however find it rather sluggish and have, in the main, relegated it to long fitted goods. Here is a link to a picture and a 30 second video of it running n my layout, Gresley Junction. This was maximum speed. It's fine for fitted goods but a bit sluggish for my tastes for passenger duties. I haven't worked out the scale speeds so I may have a faulty judgement of what correct scale speeds should look like. If the canon motor is faster then that may solve this slight issue.

 

Andy

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Chuffer Davies said:

Technically it would work but if there was then a short anywhere on the frames then it would probably blow the chip.  Somewhat risky therefore.. 

Frank

 

3 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

I think that would work in theory. But in practice any stray short would go straight to the motor terminal and back to the decoder which it would not appreciate. I suspect that would be new decoder time! Therefore, I think it’s highly inadvisable in practice. I have one such loco to convert and I’m still dithering over how to do it as it runs so well with the D13.

 

Andy

Yes, no matter how carefully you built the thing you would one day end up with a short. So, while it could be done it probably shouldn't be done (as with more than a few things in life).

 

Unless you used plastic frames...

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

I think that would work in theory. But in practice any stray short would go straight to the motor terminal and back to the decoder which it would not appreciate. I suspect that would be new decoder time! Therefore, I think it’s highly inadvisable in practice. I have one such loco to convert and I’m still dithering over how to do it as it runs so well with the D13.

 

Andy

So long as the motor connections couldn’t short to the rails (ie the motor is properly isolated from the frames and body) the DCC system should detect any short and kill the power before the power kills the chip. Proper isolation could be tested on the programme track before subjecting the loco to full layout current. DCC systems are much more sensitive to shorts than DC and therefore quicker to identify problems. . 

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MikeParkin65 said:

ie the motor is properly isolated from the frames and body

That's the problem with those motors, Mike.

  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

That's the problem with those motors, Mike.

Agreed. The motor connects through the worm gear and axle onto the frames, so there would need to be a lot of insulation to isolate it completely - i.e. something like plastic frames as suggested by St Enodoc.

  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

The easiest solution is not to use DCC, Andy.

 

Regards,

 

Tony. 

in the words of Monty Python. 
 

NI
 

 

  • Agree 2
  • Funny 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

You're too young for all that ...

Excuse you, never too young for Monty Python. 
 

 

  • Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Round of applause 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

You're too young for all that ...

I don't think Jesse expected some kind of Spanish Inquisition!

  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, JamieR4489 said:

I don't think Jesse expected some kind of Spanish Inquisition!

 

Well, I don't think the Spanish Inquisition ever got to Australia.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

 

Well, I don't think the Spanish Inquisition ever got to Australia.

Then it's all the more likely to be unexpected, when it does.

  • Like 2
  • Funny 8
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

Agreed. The motor connects through the worm gear and axle onto the frames, so there would need to be a lot of insulation to isolate it completely - i.e. something like plastic frames as suggested by St Enodoc.

And plastic bearings, Andy. 

 

Regards,

 

Tony. 

  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

...or to buy RTR?! But where's the fun in that?

No fun at all,

 

Nor is it fun to cook expensive chips (which has happened from time to time).

 

Regards,

 

Tony. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Afternoon everyone... Just wondering if anyone can direct me to a P4 specific thread on RMWeb, or would it be appropriate of me to post my P4 questions on this thread?


Ta muchly,

 

Dylan

Link to post
Share on other sites

If you don't use a short circuit protector circuit  in dcc it matters not if you use a motor with one brush insulated or one with both brushes insulated.. a short is a short.. and boy if only people would check their dc locos for shorts (most controllers seem immune to detecting minor shorts in dc nowadays!)  If you watch stock running in the darkness you will see sparks etc at once...its not just a dcc problem its a dc problem as well but 90% of the time no one notices it. 

 

Always check for shorts on your locomotives and stock.. you would be amazed what goes on in dc land...like coach wheels touching metal floors, loco wheels rubbing on frames and bodies, wagon wheels rubbing on whitemetal cast floors or axleboxes.

 

Baz

  • Like 3
  • Agree 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Barry O said:

If you don't use a short circuit protector circuit  in dcc it matters not if you use a motor with one brush insulated or one with both brushes insulated.. a short is a short.. and boy if only people would check their dc locos for shorts (most controllers seem immune to detecting minor shorts in dc nowadays!)  If you watch stock running in the darkness you will see sparks etc at once...its not just a dcc problem its a dc problem as well but 90% of the time no one notices it. 

 

Always check for shorts on your locomotives and stock.. you would be amazed what goes on in dc land...like coach wheels touching metal floors, loco wheels rubbing on frames and bodies, wagon wheels rubbing on whitemetal cast floors or axleboxes.

 

Baz

Hi Baz,

you are absolutely correct in what you say but the point you are making is different to the one I and others were attempting to make.  The point you make relates to the annoying situation where a short across the track power causes the DCC command station to trip out dropping power to the entire layout.  Loco's that appear to be fine when running on DC may still have minor shorts that will trip the power on DCC.

 

The point I was making was that if the power from the DCC chip is routed on one side via otherwise isolated frames to the live brush in the motor, then any short allowing track power to connect with the frames will more than likely fry the chip.  Whilst I quite enjoy frying chips under normal circumstances in this particular circumstance it would be less than desirable and very costly. 

 

Regards,

Frank

  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dylan Sanderson said:

Afternoon everyone... Just wondering if anyone can direct me to a P4 specific thread on RMWeb, or would it be appropriate of me to post my P4 questions on this thread?


Ta muchly,

 

Dylan

 

If it's track related there is this section of the forum: https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/forum/160-handbuilt-track-amp-templot/

 

Of course, probably the best place would be the Scalefour Society forums: https://www.scalefour.org/forum/

 

John (P4 modeller)

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

I would agree totally with that description. It is very powerful and will pull more than almost any other steam loco I own. In my opinion it is not the motor which is normally the critical part of haulage ability but the weight of the loco and Tony has stuffed every available orifice on this V2 with lead in his normal way!

 

I do however find it rather sluggish and have, in the main, relegated it to long fitted goods. 

Andy

 

 

 

 

 

I put an AM10 in a Castle but found it far too slow for express passenger duty, so substituted an AM9. The AM10 then ended up in a Patriot, which tends to be assigned to mixed traffic.

 

Al

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

The old, Jesse-donated Nu-Cast V2 now has its new chassis complete................

 

1307507696_Nu-CastV26087603.jpg.0015b11c86dc0472f7691b2c2eb3b44b.jpg

 

Just the motion to paint now. 

 

With its silent (and now un-gummed-up) Portescap, it doesn't half go.

 

1966601747_Nu-CastV26087605.jpg.a2006032fad2a0a3e51060246fe6c631.jpg

 

13 kit-built bogies were whisked round LB this afternoon with ease (I need to tweak those guard irons on the pony). 

 

With Bachmann's RTR V2 pending (it's over two years since I test ran a couple on LB), what's the future for kit-builds like this?  

 

 

1245821136_ModelLocoBlackFive45235.jpg.3eb56ba113f6488fefddb1f167c4a4a3.jpg

 

How incongruous is this? A Stanier Five ascending Stoke Bank! 

 

Out of possible interest, this has DJH's latest AM10 motor/gearbox combo inside it. In comparison with earlier AM10-powered locos I've made (those with a Mashima motor), it's much faster, though no less-sweet. 

Edited by Tony Wright
to add something
  • Like 16
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

The old, Jesse-donated Nu-Cast V2 now has its new chassis complete................

 

 

 

1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

 

Just the motion to paint now. 

 

With its silent (and now un-gummed-up) Portescap, it doesn't half go.

 

1966601747_Nu-CastV26087605.jpg.a2006032fad2a0a3e51060246fe6c631.jpg

 

13 kit-built bogies were whisked round LB this afternoon with ease (I need to tweak those guard irons on the pony). 

 

With Bachmann's RTR V2 pending (it's over two years since I test ran a couple on LB), what's the future for kit-builds like this?  

 

 

1245821136_ModelLocoBlackFive45235.jpg.3eb56ba113f6488fefddb1f167c4a4a3.jpg

 

How incongruous is this? A Stanier Five ascending Stoke Bank! 

 

Out of possible interest, this has DJH's latest AM10 motor/gearbox combo inside it. In comparison with earlier AM10-powered locos I've made (those with a Mashima motor), it's much faster, though no less-sweet. 

 

Talk of a Black 5 ascending Stoke brings to mind anecdotes I've read about B1s and Black 5s, and their comparative merits.

 

I wondered if these things receive much attention in the B1 books which are in hand?

 

For what it's worth a friend Dave Tierney was a fireman at at Hitchin in the 1958-62 period and here is a quote from him..

"Check out the running of 61251 on the North Devon line during the trials. It exceeded a Castle's timing with a Castle's load during the Interchange trials. 61251 was a Hitchin Bongo that I fired on many times, but it wasn't the most powerful Bongo we had, in my opinion 61097 was."

 

Needless to say he thought the B1 better than a Black 5.   The removal of O1s from Windcutters and replacement with 8Fs  .... another story.

 

  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...