Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, rowanj said:

Has anyone built, or is building, any of the kits sold in Tony' s first sale? I got a Falcon Brass N15, and the build is "interesting", to say the least, but also enjoyable.

How I'm getting on starts here.

Building BR ex-LNER from kits. - Page 52 - Kitbuilding & Scratchbuilding - RMweb

And here's a link:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Headstock said:

Good afternoon Chamby,

As I model the same time period and a location a few hundred yards away from LC, I would be interested to know what your choice of the fourteen trains would be in each direction? I know what my sixteen would be, though it would require quite a bit of rethinking due to the large amount of extra movements required at LC.

Greetings,  Headstock.

It’s early days yet for me, as I have only been working this up in earnest recently.  The fourteen so far, based on a midweek non-Summer service, would be:

16T mineral “Runner”

Mixed freight “Runner”

Steel “Runner”

Fish

Pick-up Goods

Oil for Abbey Lane

Local “Ord”   x2 

Fast/Semi-fast 

South Yorkshireman

Master Cutler

WR inter-regional

SR inter-regional

Parcels/Newspaper

So 14 as there will be times when more than one “Ord” will be required.  Also I haven’t included the odd through light engine working, and  I’m also not yet sure whether I’ll need a separate train for “The Newspaper” and “The Rabbits”... I’m still looking into those.  Of course given the number of Runners a much greater selection of through freight rakes is highly desirable.  I also have a PW rake to be run occasionally....

What are your 16?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, rowanj said:

Has anyone built, or is building, any of the kits sold in Tony' s first sale? I got a Falcon Brass N15, and the build is "interesting", to say the least, but also enjoyable.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/105990-building-br-ex-lner-from-kits/page/52/

Good on you John,

Seems like a typical Falcon Brass (ex-Jidenco kit). I hope I didn't over-charge you for it. 

Perhaps others have started theirs.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, t-b-g said:

I have also operated layouts where it was more hard work and frustration than pleasure. 

It would certainly be a dull hobby if we all wanted to build the same layouts and run them the same way. I was looking at the lovely little layout that Tom Foster has been posting photos of and thinking that his layout and Little Bytham are getting pretty near the two extremes of the hobby in terms of layouts yet each gives satisfaction to their builders and to others.

I think each of us needs to just decide what we want from the hobby and then build our models accordingly. If we want a fully interlocked timetabled layout worked to the real life rules then that is fine. If we want to see long trains running through a realistic scene, that is fine too. If we want a shunting plank with two points on a 4ft board, that is fine too.

My only problem arises when people try to say that their version of the hobby is better than others.

I agree with your last statement, Tony; however, with a caveat.

You and I have both been tutors at Missenden, given umpteen talks to clubs/societiesand appeared at loads of exhibitions as demonstrators (like me, mainly in loco-construction?). 

I have to say, in response to questions and requests for advice, I'm always telling folk such things as 'There's a much better way to fit pick-ups than this' (you should see some of the weird and non-wonderful attempts I've seen), or 'It's much better to solder together these components than attempt to glue them', or 'A temperature-controlled soldering iron is far better than that feeble thing you're waving about', or 'Can motor/gearboxes give you much better running at source than older, open-framed motors', or 'Markits/Romford drivers are far easier (and thus better for beginners) to fit and quarter than friction-fit ones', and so on.......... Aren't these examples of my saying 'my' version of doing things is better than (some) others? 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 3

Not much more left (though yet no interest in what I've already posted today)..................

2111818799_AnchorageK3.jpg.cab3d18f3d4f892b67956e22ced333f0.jpg

An Anchorage K3; well-made and reasonably-well-painted, it runs OK with its D11 motor. 

I'm asking £90.00 for this.

I have no idea what a Bachmann RTR K3 costs, but at least this one has the right-sized drivers.

1205239578_ABSL1s.jpg.5801946be969155e120a615451cee1b7.jpg

Two ABS L1s. The nearer one (67785) is Portescap-powered and runs beautifully. I'm asking £110.00 for this (there was a slightly better-finished one which I've sold for £120.00). 

67719 is powered by a D11 motor and runs well (though not as sweetly as the Portescap-powered one). I'm asking £80.00 for this.

If interested in either (or both, for £170.00), please PM me. 

What does a Hornby RTR L1 cost? More? Less? 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

You and I have both been tutors at Missenden, given umpteen talks to clubs/societiesand appeared at loads of exhibitions as demonstrators (like me, mainly in loco-construction?). 

I have to say, in response to questions and requests for advice, I'm always telling folk such things as 'There's a much better way to fit pick-ups than this' (you should see some of the weird and non-wonderful attempts I've seen), or 'It's much better to solder together these components than attempt to glue them', or 'A temperature-controlled soldering iron is far better than that feeble thing you're waving about', or 'Can motor/gearboxes give you much better running at source than older, open-framed motors', or 'Markits/Romford drivers are far easier (and thus better for beginners) to fit and quarter than friction-fit ones', and so on.......... Aren't these examples of my saying 'my' version of doing things is better than (some) others? 

Regards,

Tony. 

It might be Tony that your examples are to do with methods being better than others as opposed to reasons or motivations being better. One way of soldering is provably better than another. Regardless of the skill level of the "solderer" the novice and the master are likely to share the same motivation and attitudes to modelling.

It is different when motivations or philosophies of modelling are said to be better than others. As I have stated elsewhere though, this seems to be incredibly rare, perhaps to the point of being a myth. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Chamby said:

Is there anyone out here who who thinks they have gone ‘over the top’ and taken on something too big?

Sometimes, yes!

I doubt it will ever be finished, and it is not only too big, but too complex (my design!), and I largely work on it alone - with occasional help on bits that are beyond me, but then when I find the time to just sit back and 'play trains' it gives me a lot of satsfaction - so I have few regrets.

Tony

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Regards,

Tony. 

I have seen rather too many modellers get excellent results using methods, tools and techniques that are not the same as mine to ever think that I know all the answers.

It is more of an attitude problem that I detect and dislike sometimes. It is the "My way is the only right way" when in reality, there are usually several different approaches that will all work.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

41 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

It is more of an attitude problem that I detect and dislike sometimes. It is the "My way is the only right way" when in reality, there are usually several different approaches that will all work.

The same can be said of the whole 'DC vs DCC' debate in my opinion. Everyone chooses the control method they prefer and you are never going to persuade some people to change from one to the other. You therefore get debates going round and round in endless circles as those who believe their control method is 'superior' attempt to convince each other as such. Neither are ever going to win such an argument!

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, rowanj said:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/105990-building-br-ex-lner-from-kits/page/52/

In the first sale I bought a Brassmasters black 5. Despite a lot of swearing I’ve so far managed the tender. I’m plucking up courage to start on the loco itself!

in the second sale ( I think) I bought a DJH black5. No issues there it has turned out a very nice model. When it’s been lined out I’ll post some pictures. A DJH Caprotti std5 I bought has also turned out beautifully. Again I’ll post some pictures at a later date.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Chamby said:

Greetings,  Headstock.

It’s early days yet for me, as I have only been working this up in earnest recently.  The fourteen so far, based on a midweek non-Summer service, would be:

16T mineral “Runner”

Mixed freight “Runner”

Steel “Runner”

Fish

Pick-up Goods

Oil for Abbey Lane

Local “Ord”   x2 

Fast/Semi-fast 

South Yorkshireman

Master Cutler

WR inter-regional

SR inter-regional

Parcels/Newspaper

So 14 as there will be times when more than one “Ord” will be required.  Also I haven’t included the odd through light engine working, and  I’m also not yet sure whether I’ll need a separate train for “The Newspaper” and “The Rabbits”... I’m still looking into those.  Of course given the number of Runners a much greater selection of through freight rakes is highly desirable.  I also have a PW rake to be run occasionally....

What are your 16?

Good evening Chamby,

I'm intending to send you a PM but I've forgotten how to do it.

Update,

I found it.

Edited by Headstock
add info
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Headstock said:

Good evening Chamby,

I'm intending to send you a PM but I've forgotten how to do it.

Just hover over the name on the left for a few seconds and a message box will pop up - click on that and away you go.

HTH

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Denbridge said:

It's a prop built for the film, not a real locomotive :)

I think the plan was to blow up this bridge with a train on it 

20210807_140123.jpg.bc7298315189d3eaf5831a2402143ecf.jpg

Whether they still will is unknown, but maybe not now They certainly looked at it last year. It was still there earlier this month. 

It can be found near Pilchowice in the bottom left hand corner of Poland. 

There was some talk of paying for a new bridge afterwards. 

The line closed around 3 years ago

Andy

Edited by SM42
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, richard i said:

I have heard that referenced in other parts of life. That bodes well for some. 

My rule of thumb is that all your trains do the same thing, operation can, to me at least, be a bit repetitive. You fall into a pattern where the operators and the viewers know exactly what is likely to happen.

When each train does something different, even slightly different, all of a sudden you get a sense of anticipation and curiosity as to what it is going to do and how it is going to do it.

We had a lovely operating session on Buckingham last night, running the layout for around 2 hours. Not one single train did the same move as the previous one.

One of the sets of six wheeled carriages ran several times. First time it was Buckingham to Grandborough, terminate and shunt to the platform on the down side. The loco went to the shed for servicing, before returning to the carriages. Then it went back to Buckingham where it changed locos and had a horse box added. The horse box had been previously shunted to a loading dock to be loaded. Then back to Grandborough where the loaded horse box was detached and shunted to a dock for unloading and the train went on to the fiddle yard. Later, it came back to Grandborough, stopped in Pl. 3 to connect with a Leighton Buzzard branch train then went on to Buckingham where the loco was changed again.

One train doing several different movements all within a single running session. All perfectly reasonable, realistic moves that would have been happening all over the country at that time. All interesting and enjoyable to run.

The 2 hour session just flew by.

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, SM42 said:

Whether they still will is unknown, but maybe not now They certainly looked at it last year. It was still there earlier this month. 

Andy

Nice bridge. Hope they leave it alone!

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, SM42 said:

Andy

The quarry filming was necessary because they were refused permission to use the bridge.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 3

37 minutes ago, Denbridge said:

The quarry filming was necessary because they were refused permission to use the bridge.

I know there was a bit of a local outcry about the plan and good to see it never came off

Mind you lots of people walk over that bridge everyday. 

I seen the state of some of the timbers on it and I wouldn't like to try it

Andy 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

51 minutes ago, SM42 said:

I know there was a bit of a local outcry about the plan and good to see it never came off

Mind you lots of people walk over that bridge everyday. 

I seen the state of some of the timbers on it and I wouldn't like to try it

Andy 

I read somewhere that the bridge is scheduled to be demolished anyway, such is its condition but there is no money available to do so. Which seems ironic.

• Thanks 1