Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

10 hours ago, Headstock said:

Good morning Jonathan,

there is this picture.

2035261235_LNERFREIGHTAJUSTED.jpg.ed3278e28d0481134124e6137d455243.jpg

There are quite a few other images of wagons in the background's of original colour pictures. A variety of shades of Grey strikes me as a reasonable way to proceed.

A wonderful image Andrew,

Many thanks.

It also shows that Darlington painted the buffer shanks red on any locos shopped there; at least some of the time. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Many thanks.

It also shows that Darlington painted the buffer shanks red on any locos shopped there; at least some of the time. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Yes a minefield when trying to decide what colour to paint buffer stocks in the period. Even photos of your chosen loco might not help due to angles blocking line of sight. That happens more often than you might imagine.

I spent a lot of time on the j39 dividing what was right.

richard  

5 minutes ago, richard i said:

Yes a minefield when trying to decide what colour to paint buffer stocks in the period. Even photos of your chosen loco might not help due to angles blocking line of sight. That happens more often than you might imagine.

I spent a lot of time on the j39 dividing what was right.

richard  

Good evening Richard,

I think the painting spec' for LNER locos was black stocks, and this seems to have been adhered to by Doncaster and Stratford (I don't know about Cowlairs' treatment). Darlington seemed to go its own way in many ways - painting the firebox cladding band orange/black/orange on BR green V2s shopped there, for instance.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 06/09/2021 at 17:21, Barry O said:

Not according to a HR lawyer I know...you are assuming that you can do anything you want..while I hate the idea that people can become legalistic to  "protect" their own views of how life should be runthere is always a counterargument saying I can do whatever I want and up the rest if you...

Baz

HR law is irrelevant, you’re not employing anyone. 
Your organisation makes it a clear condition of entry, clearly stated in the advertising and terms and conditions of buying a ticket, eg clear signage at the event too.
This is how it’s done
https://fieldsofgoldfestival.co.uk/conditions-of-entry/

IPMS Telford this year (their Warley) has made Showing C19 passport or equivalent mandatory for all visitors, exhibitors and traders.

It’s not hard to do.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

47 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Many thanks.

Regards,

Tony. 

Good evening Tony,

all LNER locomotives had red buffer shanks, it's just that they had to wear black buffer shank PPE south of Doncaster.

• Funny 8

2 hours ago, PMP said:

Your organisation makes it a clear condition of entry, clearly stated in the advertising and terms and conditions of buying a ticket, eg clear signage at the event too.
This is how it’s done

IPMS Telford this year (their Warley) has made Showing C19 passport or equivalent mandatory for all visitors, exhibitors and traders.

It’s not hard to do.

You are assuming HR is human resources, I think he means Human Rights.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, PMP said:

This is how it’s done

It’s not hard to do.

Well just get on and organise a show if you are that sure...

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Paul Cram said:

You are assuming HR is human resources, I think he means Human Rights.

Perhaps. However I’m unaware that it’s a ‘human right’ to be able to attend a private model railway exhibition. No human rights are being breached, anyone can attend by paying the entry fee, and abiding to the terms and conditions of entry.

The link I provided

demonstrates it’s entirely appropriate to have restricted entry conditions to a private event.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Barry O said:

Well just get on and organise a show if you are that sure...

I’ve no particular desire to currently organise an exhibition. But if I did and I wanted visitors/exhibitors/traders to do a particular thing, it’d be in the terms and conditions.

https://ipmsuk.org/ipms-scale-modelworld/

If IPMS can check C19 passports/equivalent for their (potential) several thousand visitors, for a similar two day show...

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Probably a debate for the COVID thread rather than here but having attended the Bovington Tank Museum last month (full and very crowded) the lack of courtesy shown to fellow attendees by the high % of non-maskwearing attendees has put me off visiting any very popular museum and railway and exhibitions for now. No one on our party of 6 subsequently got COVID but despite a double jab status I still felt highly vulnerable all day.

It isn’t a total block, I have been to entertainment/historic places since, but the choice of where and when has been far more selective.

• Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, john new said:

Probably a debate for the COVID thread rather than here but having attended the Bovington Tank Museum last month (full and very crowded) the lack of courtesy shown to fellow attendees by the high % of non-maskwearing attendees has put me off visiting any very popular museum and railway and exhibitions for now. No one on our party of 6 subsequently got COVID but despite a double jab status I still felt highly vulnerable all day.

It isn’t a total block, I have been to entertainment/historic places since, but the choice of where and when has been far more selective.

Thanks, John, 

Bovington was on the list for possible places to visit next week.

John

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

Thanks, John, 

John

Excellent museum, well worth a visit but it was (arguably)  too full during the school holidays .

Edited by john new
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

Thanks, John, 

John

8 hours ago, john new said:

Excellent museum, well worth a visit but it was (arguably)  too full during the school holidays .

My guess is that the museum will be a lot less crowded now that the kiddiwinks are back at school - maybe a phone call to ask what the attendance levels are like?  My guess is that there will still be a lot not wearing masks though; personally I'd invest in a 3M Brand FFP2 or 3 mask - as these offer very high filtration rates (into the high 90's percent) to protect the wearer.  Then if the others want to put each other at risk of the lurgy that's their lookout.

edit:  I'm repeating myself now - first sign of madness.....

Edited by polybear
  • Like 2

A'up everyone... some questions about Bachmann's Peppercorn A2 and the real thing...

1. Is the chimney relatively easy to remove? Does it come away with some pliers?
  2. Did all the real A2s have the same diagram boilers? I can see in Yeadon's that they all had various boilers throughout their lives, but it doesn't say if these were all the same diagram, just the number of the boiler and who it previously belonged to.

Many thanks everyone

2 hours ago, Dylan Sanderson said:

A'up everyone... some questions about Bachmann's Peppercorn A2 and the real thing...

1. Is the chimney relatively easy to remove? Does it come away with some pliers?
  2. Did all the real A2s have the same diagram boilers? I can see in Yeadon's that they all had various boilers throughout their lives, but it doesn't say if these were all the same diagram, just the number of the boiler and who it previously belonged to.

Many thanks everyone

Q1. The double chimney A2 is built into the smoke box moulding. With a lipped or stovepipe moulding clipped on. The moulding built into the smoke box can however be removed with files (neater double chimneys are available from the likes of Graeme King. I think the single chimney  is easier to remove. But I can't remember TBH. 

Q2. The peppercorn locos had 118 boilers by the end of their lives. But originally many carried the 117. I think the only visible difference was that the 117 had a round dome placed further forward. Power of the A2s is a good pictorial reference. HTH and that my information is correct

David

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

2 hours ago, davidw said:

Q1. The double chimney A2 is built into the smoke box moulding. With a lipped or stovepipe moulding clipped on. The moulding built into the smoke box can however be removed with files (neater double chimneys are available from the likes of Graeme King. I think the single chimney  is easier to remove. But I can't remember TBH. 

Q2. The peppercorn locos had 118 boilers by the end of their lives. But originally many carried the 117. I think the only visible difference was that the 117 had a round dome placed further forward. Power of the A2s is a good pictorial reference. HTH and that my information is correct

David

Many thanks for your help David!

10 hours ago, Dylan Sanderson said:

Many thanks everyone

Some years ago, I did a simple mod to convert a single chimney Bachmann A2 to double chimney BRONZINO, and it was easy enough. As far as I remember, I needed to cut and file, but the larger d/chimney hid a multitude of sins.

10 hours ago, Dylan Sanderson said:

Many thanks everyone

Good evening Dylan,

All the Peppercorn A2s were built with new Dia. 118 boilers, but many latterly received Thompson Dia. 117 boilers (originally fitted to the A2/3s). As has been mentioned, the difference is the shape and position of the dome - streamlined on the 118 (further back) and round on the 117 (further forward). Oddly, all the Peppercorn A1s which received a Thompson boiler (with the exception of 60153) had a streamlined dome cover (as did 60505). 

As far as I'm aware, Bachmann only makes the 118 boiler for its A2s, so check carefully which you choose (though, off the top of my head, BRONZINO never got a Thompson boiler). 

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

9 minutes ago, rowanj said:

This is where I have got to with the Falcon Brass N15, obtained from Tony in his first "disposal". I needed to fabricate a fair bit of detail, and some of the design issues were a bit baffling to anyone used to modern standards, but I've quite enjoyed the challenge. Having said that, I'll not be building another Falcon/Jidenco kit in a hurry. 

I still need to add coal, glazing and line the boiler bands- I use transfers for this. Then weathering, which should tidy up (i.e disguise) any anomalies I posted a few "in progress" notes on my build thread..

John

IMG_20210908_204054.jpg

Splendid progress John,

At least that's two of the kits I sold now built. 

I wonder how many others are under construction? 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

Good evening Dylan,

All the Peppercorn A2s were built with new Dia. 118 boilers, but many latterly received Thompson Dia. 117 boilers (originally fitted to the A2/3s). As has been mentioned, the difference is the shape and position of the dome - streamlined on the 118 (further back) and round on the 117 (further forward). Oddly, all the Peppercorn A1s which received a Thompson boiler (with the exception of 60153) had a streamlined dome cover (as did 60505). 

As far as I'm aware, Bachmann only makes the 118 boiler for its A2s, so check carefully which you choose (though, off the top of my head, BRONZINO never got a Thompson boiler). 

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Tony. 

Thanks for your clarification.

• Thanks 1

On 06/09/2021 at 07:53, Compound2632 said:

If representing a lead-based grey paint, then the ex-works colour and anything darker, through to virtually black, depending on the length of exposure to atmospheric pollutants. I don't know about the behaviour of the non-lead-based paints in use from the 30s.

For my wagons that will be weathered I use Tamiya German Grey

• Informative/Useful 1

15 minutes ago, Theakerr said:

For my wagons that will be weathered I use Tamiya German Grey

Very similar shade to the Humbrol 67 Tank Grey that I've been using for GWR wagons seeing as I couldn't get anything else and wasn't going to pay £7 or so for a courier to deliver a tin or two of paint.

I assume it's meant to be the same colour.

Jason

• RMweb Gold

Enjoy the ride. Luckily, the NYMR is near by. Wonderful scenery when out walking but need to get back on board, especially after seeing the Pullman dining car. It's been too long.

Dave

• Like 16